Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Just on the ref have been on the Cork forum there and it seems they have many many grievances aswell some feel that second yellow was extremely harsh and that Austin Gleeson fouled the ball before Waterford third goal which wasn't spotted amongst other things.]

Wsnt at the game anyone shed any light?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Can we stop complaining about referees albeit they maybe poor the majority of times they are poor on both sides but constantly all season we've blamed refs for everything.. Just makes us look like a pack of whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Is the Munster Minor final likely to be televised before the Limerick-Cork game? Can't remember whether I've ever seen a minor provincial final on TV.

Look I believe that the ref made some poor decisions on both side, we had a blatent goal pulled up for no advantage in the first 10 minutes... we where 9 points behind at one stage and we dealt with it and came out on top, Cork didn't deal with us in the second half and even started more positive in extra time and just could not shake us even with all the pulling they where doing on Stephen Bennet this is why they lost.... A draw was the fairest result last night, it was a shame cork had to exit after extra time, they have some fine hurlers, I noticed some of them breaking out of half back and scoring from long distances,which is immense for young fellas..

I would have liked a replay at FT because if we played like that in front of 4k people next week in Walsh Park the atmosphere would have been electric. There was a very good crowd from Waterford last night and Pairc Ui Rinn was in fabulous condition..

On the yellow card, it was very harsh, the Cork players elbow hit the waterford players but I don't believe of any intent... Am I correct that in the event of extra time yellows don't carry from the 60minute game? As some Cork fans where saying they thought the slate should have been wiped going into ET... Im not sure, some of ye might know

Dzila :)

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Is the Munster Minor final likely to be televised before the Limerick-Cork game? Can't remember whether I've ever seen a minor provincial final on TV.

I don't believe so, in recent years the Gaa have been televising the AI semis up but Im not sure about the munster final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

dzilla wrote: »
    A draw was the fairest result last night, it was a shame cork had to exit after extra time, they have some fine hurlers, I noticed some of them breaking out of half back and scoring from long distances,which is immense for young fellas..

You're very generous, fair play to ye. But I'm long enough in the tooth to say to Cork:

dance-on-your-grave-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I don't believe so, in recent years the Gaa have been televising the AI semis up but Im not sure about the munster final

Yeah only the AI semis and final in both hurling and football they show as Gaeilge. It'll at least be live on WLR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

fricatus wrote: »

No it wont. Jaysus they scacely show some of the the big senior matches this year not to mind minor!!!

Am I right in thinking TV3 have rights to the Minor AI semi finals and finals? They had the last couple of years anyway. Its a pity because I used to love your man that used commentate the minor on RTE As Gealige was it Micheal O'Se was his name?

TG4 will have highlights of all minor games anyway on gaa beo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Also, Laois beat Wexford who beat Kilkenny and I think they've every chance of beating Kilkenny in the Leinster Final. I think the reality of it is is that if you win the Munster final you are on the easier side of the draw anyway as you avoid the Leinster champions.

I think Wexford really took their eye off the ball against Laois, I know Laois also beat Offaly but the line of form (As always form lines is in Minor is hard to follow). Dont forget Kilkenny also beat Laois by 17 pts in round 1 of Leinster.

It's wide open with Waterford,Limerick,Galway and Kilkenny all fancying their chances.

• Advertisement

It's wide open with Waterford,Limerick,Galway and Kilkenny all fancying their chances.

I'd say Limerick will take some beating. They didn't get any warmup games or second chances yet beat a Tipp team who looked pretty darn good against us. Having won the Under-21 Munster title last year, things are looking up for them. Dammit, why are we only ever good when everyone else is too?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    No it wont. Jaysus they scacely show some of the the big senior matches this year not to mind minor!!!

Am I right in thinking TV3 have rights to the Minor AI semi finals and finals? They had the last couple of years anyway. Its a pity because I used to love your man that used commentate the minor on RTE As Gealige was it Micheal O'Se was his name?

TG4 will have highlights of all minor games anyway on gaa beo

I think RTE still show the Minor All-ireland semis.

And I also believe that on 3e you can watch the Minor All-ireland final with Irish commentary.

But we've not made either of those yet! A warning to those looking at bookies odds, Tipp were favourites for the all-ireland before last night.

But we've not made either of those yet! A warning to those looking at bookies odds, Tipp were favourites for the all-ireland before last night.

I've just looked at those odds, despite beating Tipp Limerick are 4/1! Someone in Waterford must have bunged 10k on us.

I think the win last night away from home getting rid of the hoodoo of not beating cork in minor in so long will do wonders mentally for the young lads in the build up to playing limerick in their own ground in front of what id imagine a huge limerick crowd hopefully we can upset the lot of them on their big day out

I think the win last night away from home getting rid of the hoodoo of not beating cork in minor in so long will do wonders mentally for the young lads in the build up to playing limerick in their own ground in front of what id imagine a huge limerick crowd hopefully we can upset the lot of them on their big day out

We beat Tipp in Thurles in the 2009 Minor final. Sure, there were Waterford fans there that day for the Senior final but surely we can rely on Cork fans to give us a dig out seeing as they're playing Limerick as well?

*looks back up thread*

Oh. Bugger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

I really enjoyed that game last night, my take on it

I headed into the minor game last night in Pairc Ui Rinn, first off the pitch there was immaculate and it was a beautiful night for it, there was a very slight breeze but nothing that would affect the game, as we walked into the main stand it was like spot the Cork fan, there was a massive Waterford crowd in the attendance of over 3000 people.
    Waterford elected to play with the breeze in the first half, and as the teams lined up I was alerted to the placing of the Cork midfielder (No. 8 Michael Cahalane, I think we will be hearing about him again), in the right corner forward position by some Cork fans sitting directly behind us, so even as the teams lined out this player emphasised above all the rest the difference in size and physique of the some of the Cork players compared to their Waterford rivals, he looked like a senior playing minor. The ball was thrown in, it was played instantly into the aforementioned Cahalane, he collected, streaked past the Waterford defence and goaled, the exclamation mark to this act was the Cork fans again proclaim his brilliance, it was an act that was repeated a few more times in the first half but thankfully he decided to settle for the point, Waterford switched the full back out on him but they also stopped the flow in, which is what really curtailed him. After 20 minutes Cork lead 1-7 to 0-1, but it was the strangest game I was ever at, Waterford defended the goal to my left, Cork the goal to my right, for much of the half I was looking into the Cork half of the field as that is where the action was, it would be interrupted by a brief Cork excursion up the field that would lead to a score. It was a pattern that was causing my head some discomfort and I didn’t like how this was going, many a Waterford underage team, with talented players, had been down this road up in Cork and wilted. Waterford with all their possession were so wasteful it was untrue, they inside line seemed to be obsessed with goals, they would work a situation so that an easy point would be on, but instead try that one last pass to work a goal, It would break down and Cork would clear, they also missed six easy points, Cathal Gleeson after brilliant work, missed three certain points.
    The feeling was that Waterford, against the wind were throwing this away, the Cork full back line were actually in big trouble and Waterford’s marquee forward Patrick Curran was coming in for very close attention off the ball by a very tight corner back, it was around this time that a high ball into the Cork square was touched down to himself by Stephen Bennett and doubled on, but as it ratted the net the Referee called it back for a penalty, a penalty was subsequently saved. Things couldn’t get worse, but in the scramble the sticky Cork corner back pulled his hamstring and had to go off injured, Stephen Bennett also missed three easy chances for points, he didn’t look himself and looked short of confidence, running away from goal instead of taking on his man and dropping shots into the goalie. In this period when Waterford were on the rack one player started to emerge and that was centre back Austin Gleeson, in fact Cork were finding it difficult to by-pass him and find there danger man in the full forward line, We tacked on the last three points of the half to leave it at 1-7 to 0-4 and even though we were facing into the slight breeze we felt optimistic, we were actually starting to dominate exchanges.
    It was in the second half that this Waterford really started to introduce themselves, with too many instances to go into detail, but minutes after the resumption we had 2-01 on the board to bring the sides level, with Patrick Curran and Stephen Bennett living up to their names, taking on their men and causing havoc, it was now resulting in goals. Although they are both small players they were exceptionally strong in the air, very quick, and had an eye for a score. Curran is as cute as a fox already, can win any type of ball that comes in to him, uses his body to great effect to edge defenders out of the way and has an effortless strike over the bar. In fact ever time the ball went into his corner, even when the corner back was clearly favoured to win it, you were confident the Curran would just flick it off him, which invariably happened. I think you could sum him up accurately by saying he is a fast, skilful, brave, intelligent corner forward, who works very hard and can win any ball you send into him and can score from anywhere under pressure, oh and as well as that he is a nerveless free taker? That pretty much ticks all the boxes right?
    The Cork full back line was being ate alive at this stage and the platform for Waterford was the half back line, firstly it was the performance of young Shane Bennett, younger brother of Stephen who again was yielding bulk and size and presumably age to his direct opponent, but what he lacked in inches in made up for in tenacity, speed and skill. He was out in front for every ball, he won it in the air, he came out of rucks, he sidestepped oncoming challenges and sent perfect ball into the full forward line time and again, for a player of his age to dominate to that level in an intercounty minor game really was a sight to behold, remember the name he is a star. Inside him was centre back Austin Gleeson and I am at odds to decide if it was Gleeson or Shane Bennett was the best player on the field, I suppose a mitigating factor is taking into account Shane Bennetts apparent disadvantages, but definitely the most spectacular player on the field was Gleeson, a tall player with a physique similar to Daragh Fives, when Waterford were going bad he was very good and when Waterford began to dominate the only word for this guy is ridiculous, almost everything he did was ridiculous and he caught every single ball that came near him, danced out of defence and drove the ball 100 yards up the field. I am talking Ken McGrath sh!t here like, in fact his performance was reminiscent of Ken McGraths first outing at Centre Back for Waterford against Clare (the game Dan scored 3 goals), he was utterly, utterly dominant, as well as having a brilliant hand his touch and striking where a pleasure to behold, the ball was controlled and his hand faster than any other player on the field seemed capable of, in fact faster than most inter county players seem capable of, time after time he left the more physically intimidating Cork attackers in his wake as they ferociously attempted to chase him down, he breezed past them or sold them a deadly side step and seemed oblivious to their efforts, another ball was driven down the field.
    Special mention also goes to DJ Foran who came on as a sub in the second half and sent the Cork half back line going the other way as he won primary possession in the air and drove forward time and again. Waterford were clearly the better side but Cork hung on in there, and with time almost up and the sides level the ref blew up early as Waterford were in an attacking position to send the game into extra time. Some boo’s reigned around the ground but I was happy enough, another 20 minutes of this please! On the resumption it was nip and tuck for a while and a Cork half back was given a second yellow for a high tackle on Patrick Curran, It was a harsh enough call because Curran is a small player and ducked into the tackle, but it looked alot worse than it was and you will always get a booking for it. Cork upped their game after this but the sides still went in level at half time of extra time if memory serves me correctly.
    The second half of extra time was a real worry as Waterford players were dropping like flies with cramp, with sometimes multiple players down at the same time, for which the ref allowed no stoppage and the game went on around them. Austin Gleeson was still prominent the second half of extra time belonged to Shane Bennett, as everyone else got weaker he got stronger and I was tempted to pass Pairc Ui Rinn on the way to work this morning in the expectation that he would still be out there on the field harassing somebody and striking ball!
    With the teams level there was an unreal passage of play in front of the Cork goal, with the keeper off his line and the defence stretched it felt like 3-4 Waterford forwards had a chance at goal before DJ Foran eventually found the net, Waterford were 3 up but Cork fought back and with a minute to go Waterford lead by the dreaded scoreline of two points. In this time Cork hit the side netting and I was literarily shaking. But Waterford steadied the ship by adding 3 points, the last to the deserving Cathal Gleeson who after creating so many chances only to fail at the last, but he kept going until the end, I was delighted for him. A ridiculous game had a ridiculous end as Shane Bennett ran the length of the field, weaving in and out between desperate Cork players flicking the ball over heads and going this way and that for what seemed like over a minute before collapsing in a heap. But no matter the game was over. Our first victory over Cork on their soil ever at minor grade and you know, isn’t it great being from Waterford? They may have beaten us over fifty times, but never has one of their victories felt as good for them as it did for us last night!

noiniho wrote: »
    Our first victory over Cork on their soil ever at minor grade and you know, isn’t it great being from Waterford? They may have beaten us over fifty times, but never has one of their victories felt as good for them as it did for us last night!

Hold on a sec I've got something in my eye NO I AM NOT CRYING!! Marvellous post.

deiseach wrote: »
    We beat Tipp in Thurles in the 2009 Minor final. Sure, there were Waterford fans there that day for the Senior final but surely we can rely on Cork fans to give us a dig out seeing as they're playing Limerick as well?

*looks back up thread*

Oh. Bugger.

Im well aware of our previous victory in 09 @ the 125 gaa celebrations. This is a different team however, also I imagine the Limerick crowd will be quite loud obviously in supporting their own minors(similiar to cork last night) because limerick don't get many big days out so last night will stand to em

Im well aware of our previous victory in 09 @ the 125 gaa celebrations. This is a different team however, also I imagine the Limerick crowd will be quite loud obviously in supporting their own minors(similiar to cork last night) because limerick don't get many big days out so last night will stand to em

Aye, it is going to be hard(er). Just checked it out and Limerick haven't won the Munster title since 1984 (seem to recall they won the All-Ireland after a replay that year too) so they won't be blasé about this - by which mean their supporters, Cork or Tipp fans might only bother turning up for the Senior game, Limerick fans will be there from throw-in for the Minor game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

What age is Shane Bennett. Ballysaggart should be hard to beat in the junior championship this year with 3 Bennetts on the team. Wonder what odds they are to win it with the bookies.

• Advertisement

What age is Shane Bennett. Ballysaggart should be hard to beat in the junior championship this year with 3 Bennetts on the team. Wonder what odds they are to win it with the bookies.

Well he played against Tipp last year in the championship (along with his 2 brothers) as a 15 year old in May 2012, so could be 16, but if his birthday is in May or June then he is 17....
    preumably sixteen when he had two older brothers on the minor team last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Savage write up noinhio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

noiniho wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that game last night, my take on it

I headed into the minor game last night in Pairc Ui Rinn, first off the pitch there was immaculate and it was a beautiful night for it, there was a very slight breeze but nothing that would affect the game, as we walked into the main stand it was like spot the Cork fan, there was a massive Waterford crowd in the attendance of over 3000 people.
    Waterford elected to play with the breeze in the first half, and as the teams lined up I was alerted to the placing of the Cork midfielder (No. 8 Michael Cahalane, I think we will be hearing about him again), in the right corner forward position by some Cork fans sitting directly behind us, so even as the teams lined out this player emphasised above all the rest the difference in size and physique of the some of the Cork players compared to their Waterford rivals, he looked like a senior playing minor. The ball was thrown in, it was played instantly into the aforementioned Cahalane, he collected, streaked past the Waterford defence and goaled, the exclamation mark to this act was the Cork fans again proclaim his brilliance, it was an act that was repeated a few more times in the first half but thankfully he decided to settle for the point, Waterford switched the full back out on him but they also stopped the flow in, which is what really curtailed him. After 20 minutes Cork lead 1-7 to 0-1, but it was the strangest game I was ever at, Waterford defended the goal to my left, Cork the goal to my right, for much of the half I was looking into the Cork half of the field as that is where the action was, it would be interrupted by a brief Cork excursion up the field that would lead to a score. It was a pattern that was causing my head some discomfort and I didn’t like how this was going, many a Waterford underage team, with talented players, had been down this road up in Cork and wilted. Waterford with all their possession were so wasteful it was untrue, they inside line seemed to be obsessed with goals, they would work a situation so that an easy point would be on, but instead try that one last pass to work a goal, It would break down and Cork would clear, they also missed six easy points, Cathal Gleeson after brilliant work, missed three certain points.
    The feeling was that Waterford, against the wind were throwing this away, the Cork full back line were actually in big trouble and Waterford’s marquee forward Patrick Curran was coming in for very close attention off the ball by a very tight corner back, it was around this time that a high ball into the Cork square was touched down to himself by Stephen Bennett and doubled on, but as it ratted the net the Referee called it back for a penalty, a penalty was subsequently saved. Things couldn’t get worse, but in the scramble the sticky Cork corner back pulled his hamstring and had to go off injured, Stephen Bennett also missed three easy chances for points, he didn’t look himself and looked short of confidence, running away from goal instead of taking on his man and dropping shots into the goalie. In this period when Waterford were on the rack one player started to emerge and that was centre back Austin Gleeson, in fact Cork were finding it difficult to by-pass him and find there danger man in the full forward line, We tacked on the last three points of the half to leave it at 1-7 to 0-4 and even though we were facing into the slight breeze we felt optimistic, we were actually starting to dominate exchanges.
    It was in the second half that this Waterford really started to introduce themselves, with too many instances to go into detail, but minutes after the resumption we had 2-01 on the board to bring the sides level, with Patrick Curran and Stephen Bennett living up to their names, taking on their men and causing havoc, it was now resulting in goals. Although they are both small players they were exceptionally strong in the air, very quick, and had an eye for a score. Curran is as cute as a fox already, can win any type of ball that comes in to him, uses his body to great effect to edge defenders out of the way and has an effortless strike over the bar. In fact ever time the ball went into his corner, even when the corner back was clearly favoured to win it, you were confident the Curran would just flick it off him, which invariably happened. I think you could sum him up accurately by saying he is a fast, skilful, brave, intelligent corner forward, who works very hard and can win any ball you send into him and can score from anywhere under pressure, oh and as well as that he is a nerveless free taker? That pretty much ticks all the boxes right?
    The Cork full back line was being ate alive at this stage and the platform for Waterford was the half back line, firstly it was the performance of young Shane Bennett, younger brother of Stephen who again was yielding bulk and size and presumably age to his direct opponent, but what he lacked in inches in made up for in tenacity, speed and skill. He was out in front for every ball, he won it in the air, he came out of rucks, he sidestepped oncoming challenges and sent perfect ball into the full forward line time and again, for a player of his age to dominate to that level in an intercounty minor game really was a sight to behold, remember the name he is a star. Inside him was centre back Austin Gleeson and I am at odds to decide if it was Gleeson or Shane Bennett was the best player on the field, I suppose a mitigating factor is taking into account Shane Bennetts apparent disadvantages, but definitely the most spectacular player on the field was Gleeson, a tall player with a physique similar to Daragh Fives, when Waterford were going bad he was very good and when Waterford began to dominate the only word for this guy is ridiculous, almost everything he did was ridiculous and he caught every single ball that came near him, danced out of defence and drove the ball 100 yards up the field. I am talking Ken McGrath sh!t here like, in fact his performance was reminiscent of Ken McGraths first outing at Centre Back for Waterford against Clare (the game Dan scored 3 goals), he was utterly, utterly dominant, as well as having a brilliant hand his touch and striking where a pleasure to behold, the ball was controlled and his hand faster than any other player on the field seemed capable of, in fact faster than most inter county players seem capable of, time after time he left the more physically intimidating Cork attackers in his wake as they ferociously attempted to chase him down, he breezed past them or sold them a deadly side step and seemed oblivious to their efforts, another ball was driven down the field.
    Special mention also goes to DJ Foran who came on as a sub in the second half and sent the Cork half back line going the other way as he won primary possession in the air and drove forward time and again. Waterford were clearly the better side but Cork hung on in there, and with time almost up and the sides level the ref blew up early as Waterford were in an attacking position to send the game into extra time. Some boo’s reigned around the ground but I was happy enough, another 20 minutes of this please! On the resumption it was nip and tuck for a while and a Cork half back was given a second yellow for a high tackle on Patrick Curran, It was a harsh enough call because Curran is a small player and ducked into the tackle, but it looked alot worse than it was and you will always get a booking for it. Cork upped their game after this but the sides still went in level at half time of extra time if memory serves me correctly.
    The second half of extra time was a real worry as Waterford players were dropping like flies with cramp, with sometimes multiple players down at the same time, for which the ref allowed no stoppage and the game went on around them. Austin Gleeson was still prominent the second half of extra time belonged to Shane Bennett, as everyone else got weaker he got stronger and I was tempted to pass Pairc Ui Rinn on the way to work this morning in the expectation that he would still be out there on the field harassing somebody and striking ball!
    With the teams level there was an unreal passage of play in front of the Cork goal, with the keeper off his line and the defence stretched it felt like 3-4 Waterford forwards had a chance at goal before DJ Foran eventually found the net, Waterford were 3 up but Cork fought back and with a minute to go Waterford lead by the dreaded scoreline of two points. In this time Cork hit the side netting and I was literarily shaking. But Waterford steadied the ship by adding 3 points, the last to the deserving Cathal Gleeson who after creating so many chances only to fail at the last, but he kept going until the end, I was delighted for him. A ridiculous game had a ridiculous end as Shane Bennett ran the length of the field, weaving in and out between desperate Cork players flicking the ball over heads and going this way and that for what seemed like over a minute before collapsing in a heap. But no matter the game was over. Our first victory over Cork on their soil ever at minor grade and you know, isn’t it great being from Waterford? They may have beaten us over fifty times, but never has one of their victories felt as good for them as it did for us last night!

what was this film called again?

WumBuster wrote: »
    what was this film called again?

'The blue and white bus that couldn't be stopped'

It started off in predictable enough fashion, but there was an unforeseen twist and a gripping finish, 80 minutes but felt like less

Savage write up noinhio.

Sound!

I reckon they'll do it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

The minors are 10/11 to win the all ireland haha

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Was anyone who was at the game in Tullamore last Saturday surprised when Jamie Barron was taken off in the first half? At the time I thought that if anyone should have been taken off, it should have been Brian O’Sullivan who, to my memory, hadn’t played the ball once up to that point. By contrast, Barron was much more involved in the game. He was fouled for a free that Maurice converted and he also set Maurice up for this first point from play. He also had a shot at goal which went wide.

Just before he was taken off, Barron had an attempted pass intercepted which led to an Offaly score. If this was the reason he was taken off then half the Waterford team could have had a similar fate on the night. As it happened, Brian O’Sullivan had a very good game afterwards while Pauric Mahony played well when he came on, so the substitution did work in that sense. However, I still cannot see the logic involved in the move.
    We were all amazed and decided Barron must have been injured. We were sitting right above his position and he had his marker in major trouble, getting him booked in the first few minutes. Then there was a reshuffle and Barron ended up centre forward :confused:. Not the place for him and he came off soon afterward. Brian O'Sullivan might be more clinical but Barron gets much more involved in the play.

Seamus hardly saw the ball when he moved to full forward which was a waste. I thought he had his marker in trouble when the ball was played into him. A feature of the match was too much shooting from far out the field. Also, when he went off we seemed to play with no full forward. This means any ball dropping in short or cleared to the area came straight back out. It also forced some lads to shoot under pressure from poor positions as they had no option to just drop one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Ando’s Soggy Bottom thinks watching games by text message is bad for the nerves. Well, can you imagine what actually being at this game was like! This was one of the most nerve-jangling hurling games I was ever at, with very little (or nothing) between the teams throughout the second half and most of extra time until Waterford finally pulled away in the closing minutes.

There was so much depending on this game, not just for this particular Waterford team, but because of the opportunity it offered to finally lay the bogey of the Déise never having won an under-age game anywhere in Cork. After 20 minutes I was seething with irritation, as yet another Waterford team with immense ability and potential were struck down by the nerves which have destroyed countless Waterford teams against Cork over the years. All the symptoms were present – poor first touch, poor decision-making, poor striking (especially for scores), second to the breaking ball everywhere, standing off their opponents rather than driving into them.

Cork’s opening score set the scene, with Michael Cahalane sailing through the Waterford defence untouched to flash the ball to the net. Stephen Bennett’s super strike after five minutes might have settled the team down, but ended up making matters worse. He knocked a long ball into the Cork goalmouth down in front of him and then sent a bullet to the net with a super strike on the half-volley. The ball was already in the net when the referee blew up for a free. Not only did he not allow the advantage, but I do not even know what the free was for in the first place. Bennett missing the ensuing penalty only put more pressure on a Waterford team already short on self-confidence.

After playing second fiddle all over the field, and going nine points down, Waterford finally began to steady the ship, inspired by Austin Gleeson who decided to take the game by the scruff of the neck, winning possession and driving out of defence repeatedly. Another key development was the introduction of DJ Foran in the half forward line in place of Adam Farrell after 25 minutes. Cormac Curran had been unable to reproduce his ball-winning exploits against Clare, but Foran (whose omission from the starting team had surprised me) had an immediate impact in this department, and in the second half and extra time was immense, repeatedly winning ball and driving at the Cork defence.

However, while Waterford managed to stop the Cork scoring machine, they were finding it impossible to make an impression on the scoreboard at the other end. Both Stephen Bennett and Conor Gleeson missed a series of good chances, with Bennett even flicking the ball wide from the edge of the square having been set up by a good hand pass. A couple of scores before half time reduced the Cork lead to a reachable six points. Waterford were now at least competing for possession and creating scoring opportunities, but one felt that they needed an early goal in the second half to really get them back in the game.

And that is exactly what happened. Just after the restart, Patrick Curran soloed in from the left, and although his shot was blocked, Colm Roche (who had a big game for Waterford) pounced on the breaking ball to shoot to the net. Roche followed up with a point, and then Stephen Bennett finished off another good attacking move by flicking to the net to put Waterford in front.

We hoped that Waterford might push on from here and put Cork to the sword, but the home side were in no mood to throw in the towel, and a mighty contest ensued with both sides going at it hammer and thongs and neither capable of opening up a significant lead. In the closing stages of normal time, Austin Gleeson made some majestic catches and clearances to repel Cork attacks. Just after the public address announced at least one minute of additional time, with the scores level, Cork launched a dangerous attack down the right but it was brilliantly stopped by the Déise defence and the subsequent clearance found its way to an unmarked Conor Gleeson straight in front of the Cork posts, but just as he was about to shoot the lead point for Waterford, the referee blew the full time whistle with just 45 seconds of additional time indicated on the electronic clock on the scoreboard. Would the Tipperary referee Fergal Horgan (with a suspiciously Corkonian surname) have blown up if a Cork forward had been in a similar situation?

Just after the start of extra time the Cork right half back received a second yellow and follow-up red card for a high tackle, and the space which this created for Waterford was to eventually take its toll. Cork actually went into the second period of extra time a point ahead, but when DJ Foran fired the ball home after a bout of interpassing in front of the Cork goal, it seemed that Waterford were set for victory. However, Cork managed to reduce the lead to two points – the most dangerous lead in hurling – and came close to regaining the lead when one of their forwards came in along the end line but, with several colleagues waiting in front of goal, he went for glory only to shoot into the side netting.

Waterford then took over completely, and late scores from Conor Gleeson, Patrick Curran and substitute Paul O’Connor gave them a rather flattering five-point lead when the referee finally called a halt to an enthralling contest.

Apart from Austin Gleeson, who provided marvellous leadership and some spectacular hurling, one should also highlight the magnificent contribution at left half back of Shane Bennett, especially in the second half of normal time and in extra time. His was an extraordinarily mature performance from a player who will be a minor again next year. As already mentioned, DJ Foran’s contribution when introduced was crucial to Waterford’s success, while Colm Roche’s 1-3 from play was also vital to this win.

Ultimately Waterford’s win was due as much to hard work and a refusal to admit defeat as anything else. There is a lot more to this team than we saw in this game. A crucial factor in ultimate success was the quality of their substitutes. Apart from DJ Foran, Mark O’Brien made a tremendous contribution when introduced at midfield at halftime for Mikey Kearney, who shipped a bad injury during the course of the first half. Christy Breathnach put in a typically hard-working shift (and contributed a good point) when introduced for Cormac Curran in the second half, while Paul O’Connor also weighed in with an excellent point after replacing Colm Roche who was struck down by cramp as he knocked over his third point in the second period of extra point.

In my view, this Waterford team has much more to offer. Tom Devine, while doing well, can reach an extra level and, along with Austin Gleeson and Shane Bennett, makes up as good a half back line as one will find in minor hurling. Cormac Curran had an off-day on this occasion but we know what he is capable of. Conor Gleeson repeatedly got into good scoring positions and will hardly be as awry in his shooting again. This was Stephen Bennett’s first full game at this level this year, and his lack of match practice showed. I expect him to improve 100% the next day. Even Patrick Curran, despite his final haul of 0-12 (including three points from play) showed a lack of sharpness on occasions and is also capable of significant improvement. If Curran and Bennett can reach the levels of which they are capable simultaneously, they will constitute an awesone attacking force.

I was at the Laois/Wexford Leinster semi-final last week, and the level at which they were playing was well below the fare in Páirc Uí Rinn last night. Kilkenny had to work hard to beat Dublin in the other Leinstger semi-final, and I don’t expect them to be world beaters this year. You never know how good Galway will be, but Waterford must have a great chance of ultimate success this year.

Finally, if there are any readers out there who got lost looking for the roundabout at the junction of the Skehard Road and Ballinlough Road which I mentioned in my directions on how to get to Páirc Uí Rinn, this has been replaced by a traffic signal controlled junction since I was last in this area. My apologies for those who may have been sent astray by this error on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

What clubs are Mark O'Brien and Paul O'Connor from? Seems like there will be serious competition for places for the Munster final with many of the subs that came on the other night doing well. Tough decisions for management to either stick with a lad who was quiet but capable of much more or chance a lad who came on and did well. Good headache to have though and knowing there's good options on the bench to call upon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement