Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is the NEXT warm spell due to Grace us again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

mike65 wrote: »
    RTE radio mentioning the Donegal postman in the paper review this morning. Embarrassing.

You'd really wonder some times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I hope his postal deliveries aren't as bad as his weather predictions..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As mild today as yesterday, even with the blustery wind, no rain either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Next week looking very nice going by last 3 GFS runs, with temps picking up nicely from Wednesday. Stretching it a bit looking to next weekend, but......

ukmaxtemp.png

• Advertisement

Met E have things breaking down from early Thursday on..(I only tune in to see what Jean is wearing)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Met E have things breaking down from early Thursday on..(I only tune in to see what Jean is wearing)

They could well turn out to be right. But I'm just trying a bit of hope casting and wishful thinking here. I'd have crossed my fingers as well only it's a pain in the ass to type. :pac:

edit : actually, yea. GFS OP run is way out on it's own regarding the higher temps.

t2mDublin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

That looks alot less likely now on this morning runs - thankfully:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I don't think this week will be anything special, eastern and southern areas should get some warm sunshine but a lot of cloud about elsewhere.
    The mornings should be sunny but probably turning quite cloudy as the day goes on.
    By the way, the similarities with 1962 just go on and on, this chart shows an identical pattern to this summer so far with eastern England getting poor weather due to N/NW'ly winds and the Azores attempting to move in but not quite making it.
    When we had our heatwave earlier in the month temps in eastern England were only 11 or 12c.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1962/Rrea00119620628.gif
    compare the '62 chart with this one, spot the difference.

FSXX00T_84.jpg

Means nothing! After all we've had 50 years of climate change since then and the weather is just mad Ted*.

* I was told to say that by George Monbitot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Means nothing! After all we've had 50 years of climate change since then and the weather is just mad Ted*.

* I was told to say that by George Monbitot

True. Global warming actually started in the '60s. The population was around 3 billion in 1960. When it grew, global warming became noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

High pressure will attempt to build from the south as the week goes on, but the extent of this, and how soon it flattens or collapses looks uncertain. I think there is reason to be optimistic that the weather this week will be fine, with a live chance that warm to hot weather may be in the offing after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Anybody like to forecast what it might be like for North West Donegal Sat / Sun? Got an old adventure race to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Got very excited last night after the 9 o'clock news when Evelyn Cusack started to mention the possibility of the Azores high heading towards Ireland by the weekend. This is the first time in years I can remember her even mentioning the possibility. It makes a change from the last 6 summers when the word "vortex" was definitely overused by her.

Well don't get excited as ME have already downgraded that forecast.

Cheers for that cheered me right up, MTs forecast still looks hopeful though.
    I shall remain positive

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What are the chances of 20-21 deg C weather again this weekend for Galway do you think? I usually trust the BBC but they only say 15 deg, everywhere else seems to be saying 20-21...

Just looked at Met.ie and if you live on the east coast looks to be a pretty decent downgrade to me for the weekend:

Much of Leinster and east Munster will be mainly dry. Highest temperatures on Friday of 16 to 20 degrees.

Most places will be dry on Saturday. However, there'll still be some rain in northern parts of Ulster and some drizzle along the west coast. It will be warm with temperatures ranging from 16 degrees in the west to 22 degrees in the east.

Sunday will be warm with similar temperatures. It be dry apart from a little drizzle along west and northwest coasts.

The Azores High continues to balloon and establish itself over us in FI land. This summer is definitely a different ballgame to the last few. We've had some good spells and some okay spells but no really awful weather. And the potential is there for a heatwave July for sure. If my tan is anything to go by we've had countless more hours of sun than 2012 too. I haven't been outside with anymore frequency. Anyway last frames of ECM are showing a heatwave for 4th July on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

dopolahpec wrote: »
    The Azores High continues to balloon and establish itself over us in FI land. This summer is definitely a different ballgame to the last few. We've had some good spells and some okay spells but no really awful weather. And the potential is there for a heatwave July for sure. If my tan is anything to go by we've had countless more hours of sun than 2012 too. I haven't been outside with anymore frequency. Anyway last frames of ECM are showing a heatwave for 4th July on.

Yeah - the AH is playing ball for the first time in years, already been the best June since 06'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not looking good for the weekend going by this mornings ME forecast, this is completely at odds with MTs forecast.
    So the question is who do we think will be right !!!!!!!!!!

Outlook from ME

Rain and drizzle will become confined to northern and western coastal counties on Thursday night. Outbreaks of rain or drizzle will then return to many parts of the country during Friday, although the southeast will stay mainly dry and bright until late in the day. Clearer conditions will develop on Friday night as rain or drizzle moves away. Saturday will start dry and bright in all areas, with the south and east likely to have spells of warm sunshine much of the time, but drizzle will come to affect the west and northwest again as the day goes on. During Sunday, rain will spread eastwards to affect most areas but the southeast will probably continue dry until nightfall. Monday next may turn out to be generally dry and bright but rainy or drizzly conditions seem set to spread from the Atlantic again on Tuesday. The week ahead will be characterised by southwest to west winds which are unlikely to be very strong at any stage. Temperatures will be about normal or a little above for the transition from June to July, and frequently high humidity will make it feel clammy much of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not looking good for the weekend going by this mornings ME forecast, this is completely at odds with MTs forecast.
    So the question is who do we think will be right !!!!!!!!!!

Outlook from ME

Rain and drizzle will become confined to northern and western coastal counties on Thursday night. Outbreaks of rain or drizzle will then return to many parts of the country during Friday, although the southeast will stay mainly dry and bright until late in the day. Clearer conditions will develop on Friday night as rain or drizzle moves away. Saturday will start dry and bright in all areas, with the south and east likely to have spells of warm sunshine much of the time, but drizzle will come to affect the west and northwest again as the day goes on. During Sunday, rain will spread eastwards to affect most areas but the southeast will probably continue dry until nightfall. Monday next may turn out to be generally dry and bright but rainy or drizzly conditions seem set to spread from the Atlantic again on Tuesday. The week ahead will be characterised by southwest to west winds which are unlikely to be very strong at any stage. Temperatures will be about normal or a little above for the transition from June to July, and frequently high humidity will make it feel clammy much of the time.
    I would't worry to much, it will change again by this afternoon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Munstermac

I really don't get it.

All the charts are showing that the Azores High is going to push up over us for the near future but yet all the forecasts (except MT's) are showing alot of precipitation over the same period of time.

I know high pressure isn't the be-all-and-end-all of fine weather but this is very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Munstermac wrote: »
    I really don't get it.

All the charts are showing that the Azores High is going to push up over us for the near future but yet all the forecasts (except MT's) are showing alot of precipitation over the same period of time.

I know high pressure isn't the be-all-and-end-all of fine weather but this is very disappointing.

Unfortunately the Azores high never guarantee sunshine.

Because of its location right in the middle of the sea near the equator it pushes very warm, moist air over Ireland and the UK, which often leads to cloud and light drizzle. If the high pressure was situated over land (near Europe or Scandinavia) it would be a different story.

Also, if the ridge of high pressure isn't particularly strong then weak cold (rain) fronts can also push in from the Atlantic from time to time, which seems to be what may happen this weekend.

As always, areas further East should see the best of the weather over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

dopolahpec wrote: »

I can concur. Live in kilkenny/south east and its been overall very good here. Dry most of the time with some great sun and heat. Infinitely better than past 5 years. Weather just seems more settled. Long may it continue.

The F1 is fantastic for sun/heat freaks! (won't happen of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The F1 is fantastic for sun/heat freaks! (won't happen of course)

I thought F1 was for speed freaks ;)

Looks like nothing of note until after the weekend at least. Mild to warm. Intermittent light rain cloud and some sun. Again July looks promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

This summer already kicks the ass of the preceding 6 summers.

No, I haven't gone mad. :D I know that sunshine has been intermittent, but nearly every day has a nice balminess to it. It's nice to feel that warmth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

This summer already kicks the ass of the preceding 6 summers.

No, I haven't gone mad. :D I know that sunshine has been intermittent, but nearly every day has a nice balminess to it. It's nice to feel that warmth!

I have to agree. Just 10 mins ago I was outside and it feels positively "balmy"!!! I love when it feels warmer outside than in (except when we're waiting for snow of course!).

Advertisement