Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, rules of the road, a bit of cop on!

Options
  • 07-02-2013 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭

IMO cyclists seem to think they own the road, just the other day I was crossing through a yellow box into the petrol station, traffic was back up from the lights (red light) through the box. A cyclist was FLYING down the cycle lane not looking ahead and nearly slammed into the side of the car as I was pulling into the petrol station. He then followed me into the petrol station and began to beat on my car, calling my girlfriend a C**t etc scaring the **** out of her in the car.

Everyone in the petrol station and traffic was watching like WTF is up with this guy. 2 people approached me afterward saying they saw the whole thing and the cyclist was definetly in the wrong, flying down the inside lane not looking ahead at all, when the light infront of him were red and almost causing an accident.

Pretty sure cyclist have to obey the rules of the road also, this would include stopping before the yellow box in traffic? am I wrong.

And how many times a day do you see cyclists breaking red lights/filters etc?? A HELL OF A LOT MORE THEN OTHER VEHICLES!!

Its an absolute joke and then, they come on hear and moan about car users....

No car user had the intention of goin out an causing an accident, purposely breaking lights, road signs etc. But cyclists do ALL the time.

Cyclists more than any other people on the road should be exercising more caution, you are totally exposed for christs sake!

get over yourselves

OBEY THE RULES OF THE ROAD!

rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wah wah wah, whinge whinge whinge. Other people are idiots. They're idiots when they walk, they're idiots when they drive and they're idiots when they cycle. The sooner you accept this as an immutable fact of life, the sooner you will learn to just get on with life.

Report the road rage incident to the Gardai.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

srumball wrote: »
    A cyclist was FLYING down the cycle lane not looking ahead and nearly slammed into the side of the car as I was pulling into the petrol station.

Did you check your mirror before turning

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I think what he did afterwards was competely out of order however if i understand you correctly the cars were stopped but his lane was free? Cyclists are not required to stop just because cars are in a traffic jam. Their lane is free so they are perfectly entitled to continue cyclling as far as the lights. If you are crossing the road in your car it is up to you to yield to oncoming traffic (bikes included)

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

So essentially one cyclist acted like an asshole, so you've now decided that all cyclists are to blame?

Do you apply this logic to people's races or nationalities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Maybe car drivers, bus drivers and white van man might do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

No car user had the intention of goin out an causing an accident, purposely breaking lights, road signs etc. But cyclists do ALL the time.

get over yourselves

Not a cyclist...but... I have deleted out the rest of the rant as ...well its a rant.... kept the 2 bits above... one is to highlight absolute nonsense (yeah..every cyclist I know says every day they go out...right I must cause an accident today)

The second is to advise you to take your own advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Think we all need a bit more info in order to pass our judgement down upon thee scrumball?

Lets assume you indicated for a starters? Where else was the cyclist to go except on the inside? No cycle lanes available? No room at all for the cyclist to move forward after the yellow box?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It sounds to me like you were in the wrong, OP. The cyclist was proceeding in his own lane, which you pulled across without checking that there were no other road-users coming up behind you. It is your responsibility to check that the cycle lane is clear before crossing it.

I can't tell you how many times I've nearly been killed by car drivers turning left without checking the cycle lane. Worst of all are the ones that overtake you, and then immediately pull in in front of you.

• Administrators Posts: 53,481 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you pulled across the cycle lane then you are completely in the wrong. If a cyclist had to slam on the breaks because you cut across his lane then that's on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The cyclists can go and pay some road tax before they start complaining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

So you pulled in front of a cyclist travelling at speed and wonder why he was annoyed?
    You say he wasn't looking but you saw him 'FLYING down the cycle lane' and still moved your car into his lane?

Sounds like you nearly caused an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

guess im just still angry at the way he reacted hitting the car and abusing my gf.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You sound like a terrible driver.

Cienciano wrote: »

What an idiotic thing to say. I pay road tax for my car but i commute via bike so stick that in your pipe and schmoke it.

MrScootch wrote: »
    So you pulled in front of a cyclist travelling at speed and wonder why he was annoyed?
    You say he wasn't looking but you saw him 'FLYING down the cycle lane' and still moved your car into his lane?

Sounds like you nearly caused an accident.

i didnt see him, some lady on the garage forecourt told me after he ran off after hitting the care and abusing my passanger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

awec wrote: »
    If you pulled across the cycle lane then you are completely in the wrong. If a cyclist had to slam on the breaks because you cut across his lane then that's on you.

This is the nub of it. However, you should report the incident on the forecourt.

• Administrators Posts: 53,481 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is no such thing as road tax ffs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i didnt see him,

Good lord, check your mirrors before you make any manoeuvres
    The world exists outside you and your car

What's road tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Driving School Groupon for 1 please...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Intelligent response there. Well done.

How about pedestrians crossing the road, people on horseback, farmers moving livestock?

guess im just still angry at the way he reacted hitting the car and abusing my gf.

Well is it any wonder he was angry you could have actually killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's motor tax, not road tax. Show me where the motor on a pushbike is.

Well, he'd just had the shock of his life, what with a car pulling directly in front of him and nearly causing an accident in which he could have been seriously injured. While I would never condone the use of violence or vulgarity, I can't really blame the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I pay more road tax than you. I also Cycle. Does that mean i can complain twice as much ? or 3 times as much depending on what junker you are driving.

rofl rofl

IMO cyclists seem to think they own the road, just the other day I was crossing through a yellow box into the petrol station, traffic was back up from the lights (red light) through the box. A cyclist was FLYING down the cycle lane not looking ahead and nearly slammed into the side of the car as I was pulling into the petrol station. He then followed me into the petrol station and began to beat on my car, calling my girlfriend a C**t etc scaring the **** out of her in the car.

Everyone in the petrol station and traffic was watching like WTF is up with this guy. 2 people approached me afterward saying they saw the whole thing and the cyclist was definetly in the wrong, flying down the inside lane not looking ahead at all, when the light infront of him were red and almost causing an accident.
    Reading this is the yellow box at some point before the lights rather than after the lights?

If that is the case then you did pull out across his path.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Good lord, check your mirrors before you make any manoeuvres
    The world exists outside you and your car

I was in the opposing lane coming across a yellow box into the garage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Some of that lycra gear is a little embarrassing.

Thats even worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

retarded post is retarded...its a motor tax by the way sheesh

• Advertisement

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement