Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch Alarm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 suirthing

Hi, have been reading this thread with great interest, i have a monitored Phonewatch wireless alarm, installed around 2008 i'd say. Basically i want to cancel the monitoring with Eircom and have the alarm just dial my mobile if it triggers. Can anybody tell me the correct way to go about this?? Do i just ring Eircom and tell them i want to cancel and thats it? I assume they will want money from me for something, i am out of my initial 3 year contract and as far as i know what i have now is on a month by month basis but i cant be sure. Assuming I get this far, how to go about setting it to ring my number?? It has a GSM module as i dont have a landline, i assume that i own all this equipment now as my inital contract has expired?

Thanks for reading.

dk

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Hi guys,
    I know this sounds a little paranoid but I can't shake off the suspicion - tell me what you think, if it has happened to you, or if you are an alarm engineer, if the following is even possible/plausible...

I have had Phonewatch for 5 years now. No major issues - except in 2 instances:

A few weeks after the initial warranty/free parts and labour ran out, a few years ago, the main battery in the control panel gave a low battery warning. We had to get it replaced but had to pay for parts and labour.

This week, we paid the annual charge - basic monitoring is what we pay for, not including parts and labour. Now we were 1 day late on the payment, and it was late in the day when we paid. The next day, for the first time ever, we got a phone call from Eircom to say that the fire alarm had been triggered. I went to the house and it was a false alarm. Then the next day, we got another phone call to say that an external sensor had been triggered. Again a false alarm.

I have found a few similar stories online about Phonewatch - i.e. people with direct debit problems when paying the bill suddenly get alarm calls, and people who cancel monitoring suddenly getting battery issues - even in cases where batteries were replaced recently (I saw these stories on the askaboutmoney forums).

Could this just be coincidence? We had an engineer do a full service (free - part of the basic monitoring package) 2 weeks ago, he found nothing but did recommend that we replace sensor batteries at some stage soon, but that we would receive low battery warnings before that was needed. We have had no low battery warnings.

I would love to hear from someone in the know if there is any way the above things can be triggered remotely, and also if anyone has any similar stories about Phonewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

They would have no way of making a battery go low remotely.
    Was there an indication of the alarm activating when you arrived home?
    I have heard loads of stories but I would honestly put it down to coincidence.

suirthing wrote: »
    Hi, have been reading this thread with great interest, i have a monitored Phonewatch wireless alarm, installed around 2008 i'd say. Basically i want to cancel the monitoring with Eircom and have the alarm just dial my mobile if it triggers. Can anybody tell me the correct way to go about this?? Do i just ring Eircom and tell them i want to cancel and thats it? I assume they will want money from me for something, i am out of my initial 3 year contract and as far as i know what i have now is on a month by month basis but i cant be sure. Assuming I get this far, how to go about setting it to ring my number?? It has a GSM module as i dont have a landline, i assume that i own all this equipment now as my inital contract has expired?

Thanks for reading.

dk

Hi dk,

If you ring and cancel the monitoring they should stop it when it expires. You should check with them for dates of end of contract as they will know when it ends. Depending on the system you have installed will determine if it can be self monitored through the GSM in place. Also, the system you have may be easy enough to delete the numbers of the monitoring station from before getting them out to charge you a disconnection fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

altor wrote: »
    They would have no way of making a battery go low remotely.
    Was there an indication of the alarm activating when you arrived home?
    I have heard loads of stories but I would honestly put it down to coincidence.

Yes the alarm had activated, I needed to disarm when I went home.

Thanks - I'm sure if this were possible then an ex-employee or someone would have revealed it by now. It's just uncanny how this happens to numerous people.

• Advertisement

Hi dk,

If you ring and cancel the monitoring they should stop it when it expires. You should check with them for dates of end of contract as they will know when it ends. Depending on the system you have installed will determine if it can be self monitored through the GSM in place. Also, the system you have may be easy enough to delete the numbers of the monitoring station from before getting them out to charge you a disconnection fee.

Hey thanks for that Altor! I attach 2 pic's of my system, it would be great to know that i can do most of the work myself before i go and and cancel anything!

dk

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gruver

Hi Gruver,

You don't put your number in where the monitoring stations numbers are. You need to delete these as if the alarm activates it will ring them before it rings you.

Drop the lid, enter engineer code.
    Delete option 04 done.
    Delete option 05 done.
    Delete option 06 done.
    Add option 43 "enter the phone number you want the alarm to ring" done.
    Add option 44, 10 done.
    Add option 17, 20, done.

For option 17 some of the Simon panels need to see 3 digits, so enter:

Add option 17, 020, done.

Try the first one first then the 3 digit.

When the alarm rings your phone it will tell you the zone name that has being activated. You just need to follow the instruction it gives you. * to move on to the next event and # to hang up after listening to all events. The easiest way to test it is to activate a panic on the keypad then disarm.

Any problems, let us know.

Just a quick follow up. Is there a way that I test the alarm to mobile connection without the alarm bell ringing? I tried it a couple of times with my mobile beside me (with earplugs in) but my phone mobile never rang.

Gruver wrote: »
    Just a quick follow up. Is there a way that I test the alarm to mobile connection without the alarm bell ringing? I tried it a couple of times with my mobile beside me (with earplugs in) but my phone mobile never rang.

Not unless you had a silent panic set up on the system. If you place your hand over the main speaker it will still activate but you wont hear the load noise. Make sure you disarm the system before removing your hand ;)

Hey thanks for that Altor! I attach 2 pic's of my system, it would be great to know that i can do most of the work myself before i go and and cancel anything!

dk

Yes that is a Simon system. Just make sure you have all the paperwork off the alarm before cancelling anything. Also if claiming a discount for home insurance make sure you inform them also.

Thanks again Altor, by paperwork do you mean the manual?? In that case yes I have the GE manual that the installer left me, had a quick look at it and it mentions a master access code - is this what you refer to as an engineers code?? I dont have this code...

dk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Gruver

Not unless you had a silent panic set up on the system. If you place your hand over the main speaker it will still activate but you wont hear the load noise. Make sure you disarm the system before removing your hand ;)

Thanks - that's very helpful. About how long should it take for my phone to ring? I'm just conscious that I don't needlessly annoy my neighbours for too long (although having the alarm connect to my mobile is in their interest in the long run :)).

Thanks again Altor, by paperwork do you mean the manual?? In that case yes I have the GE manual that the installer left me, had a quick look at it and it mentions a master access code - is this what you refer to as an engineers code?? I dont have this code...

dk

No dk, it is utility access code 1 that is programmed as the engineer code.
    The master code is your user code.
    If you have any other paperwork off the system send me a P.M. More than happy to help you get the correct code.

Gruver wrote: »
    Thanks - that's very helpful. About how long should it take for my phone to ring? I'm just conscious that I don't needlessly annoy my neighbours for too long (although having the alarm connect to my mobile is in their interest in the long run :)).

That it is :D
    It should dial your number for an emergency straight away. Alarm activation's have a delay of 20-30 seconds. Depending on how it is set up.

cheers Altor, will root out everything i have and get back to you, dk

cheers Altor, will root out everything i have and get back to you, dk

Your welcome, always happy to help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ryan_Phillips

Evening folks

I've been reading through this thread with interest (there's a LOT of information in here) and I need to take the time to get through it fully before I start asking too many questions that have already been asked and answered.

Just quickly though, I have just bought a house with an Eircom PhoneWatch alarm. It has the Simon control panel (see attached pic).

It isn't monitored. There is an Eircom phone line, but it's not being used by us.

I have the code the previous owners used to arm/disarm the alarm.

I rang Eircom to get the engineers code, and they had me sign and return a disclaimer, then (I was told) they used the phoneline to re-set the engineers code to a default code of 54321 (I think).

Those are the only two codes I have, but a quick glance at this thread makes me wonder if this code is actually now the engineers code?? Is there a 3rd Master Access Code (which I have seen reference to) or am I missing something?

Anyway, my basic question is what are the first things I should be doing/checking even before I read thought all of this thread. I want to change delete all codes the previous owners of the house might have used, and put our own one in. Can I do that with the 54321 code I have been told is the re-set engineers code?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Evening folks

I've been reading through this thread with interest (there's a LOT of information in here) and I need to take the time to get through it fully before I start asking too many questions that have already been asked and answered.

Just quickly though, I have just bought a house with an Eircom PhoneWatch alarm. It has the Simon control panel (see attached pic).

It isn't monitored. There is an Eircom phone line, but it's not being used by us.

I have the code the previous owners used to arm/disarm the alarm.

I rang Eircom to get the engineers code, and they had me sign and return a disclaimer, then (I was told) they used the phoneline to re-set the engineers code to a default code of 54321 (I think).

Those are the only two codes I have, but a quick glance at this thread makes me wonder if this code is actually now the engineers code?? Is there a 3rd Master Access Code (which I have seen reference to) or am I missing something?

Anyway, my basic question is what are the first things I should be doing/checking even before I read thought all of this thread. I want to change delete all codes the previous owners of the house might have used, and put our own one in. Can I do that with the 54321 code I have been told is the re-set engineers code?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

If you drop the lid and enter your user code, the hit add code. press it till you here add master code then done. Enter your new user code and that will change the user code for you.
    The 54321 is another engineer code but it is a restricted one. It will only allow you set up minor functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Hey guys. This may have been covered, but didn't come up in a search.

I have the monitored system with Simon Panel and wireless sensors. I took down the one in my kitchen to paint - as soon as the cover came off the alarm started going off; no bother just put in the code and went about my business. As soon as the paint was dry-ish I stuck the sensor back up and moved on with the rest of the room.

Then at about 5ish this morning the alarm started to do 3 or 4 beeps in a row. I'm not positive of how far spaced apart they were, but it was approx 30seconds. I hit the info button and it cycled through the sensors and said "kitchen tampered" or something to that effect. Then it stopped. Just wondering now if I did something wrong? If so, how do I fix it (do I need engineer code?) and what should I do differently when I'm painting the living room at the weekend?

Hey guys. This may have been covered, but didn't come up in a search.

I have the monitored system with Simon Panel and wireless sensors. I took down the one in my kitchen to paint - as soon as the cover came off the alarm started going off; no bother just put in the code and went about my business. As soon as the paint was dry-ish I stuck the sensor back up and moved on with the rest of the room.

Then at about 5ish this morning the alarm started to do 3 or 4 beeps in a row. I'm not positive of how far spaced apart they were, but it was approx 30seconds. I hit the info button and it cycled through the sensors and said "kitchen tampered" or something to that effect. Then it stopped. Just wondering now if I did something wrong? If so, how do I fix it (do I need engineer code?) and what should I do differently when I'm painting the living room at the weekend?

After you hear all the kiss from the status button press disarm. Press the status again to see what faults you have. If the PIR comes up as tampered again drop the lid and enter your user code. Open the PIR then close it again. This should clear the tamper condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi There, Phonewatch Concord alarm, that is giving me a low battery warning (SYSTEM LOW BATTERY TROUBLE), at exactly 3am every morning (which is kind of unusual and very annoying). From searching on this forum, the required replacement seems to be a 12v 2.1 Amp battery. Before I open my panel, is this the right kind of battery? Any walk-in electrical shops (Dublin area), where I might be able get a replacement, without having to wait a few days? Any way to stop the warnings until I get a replacement? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

What a fantastic resource!
    We rent, there's an old NYNEX box, not monitored. Not sure that it was ever officially disconnected, but we never got calls from PW after the first month of moving in (several years ago). Today I noticed a flashing orange light and it says motion sensor battery in hall is low.
    What window of time do we have to get this sorted out, and is it something we can do ourselves? We have the mastercode for disarming the alarm, but that's all that I can find.

Hi There, Phonewatch Concord alarm, that is giving me a low battery warning (SYSTEM LOW BATTERY TROUBLE), at exactly 3am every morning (which is kind of unusual and very annoying). From searching on this forum, the required replacement seems to be a 12v 2.1 Amp battery. Before I open my panel, is this the right kind of battery? Any walk-in electrical shops (Dublin area), where I might be able get a replacement, without having to wait a few days? Any way to stop the warnings until I get a replacement? Thanks!

There is no way on the concord to stop the beeps other than entering your user code.

The battery you need is a 12V 2.1Amp. Turn off the mains going to the control panel. Open the two screws. Lid off. On the top of the control panel above the screen you will see a place to slot a screw driver in to release the screen and pcb forward from the top. The battery is located in behind this.

Put system back together then turn back on the mains.

Go into your user menu to program the time and date.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The battery you need is a 12V 2.1Amp.
    Thanks. My search reveals three different batteries. Any pointers to which one is the right one? Here's the link from the Radionics site.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

cscook wrote: »
    What a fantastic resource!
    We rent, there's an old NYNEX box, not monitored. Not sure that it was ever officially disconnected, but we never got calls from PW after the first month of moving in (several years ago). Today I noticed a flashing orange light and it says motion sensor battery in hall is low.
    What window of time do we have to get this sorted out, and is it something we can do ourselves? We have the mastercode for disarming the alarm, but that's all that I can find.

Adding photo of alarm box if that's any help.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

232284.jpg

Thanks. My search reveals three different batteries. Any pointers to which one is the right one? Here's the link from the Radionics site.

Try some of the suppliers here, the Yuasa would be the one to use.

cscook wrote: »
    Adding photo of alarm box if that's any help.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Open the sensor and remove the battery to get the battery type. The alarm will activate when doing so but putting in your user code will turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

I have a phonewatch simon xt. I need to get the engineer code and have the original setup documentation.
    Can anyone assist with generating the code?

Also, the system is wireless and I had to replace a battery in a window (inertia) sensor. It had been complaining occasionally. After replacing the battery, it is still causing problems. It triggers the alarm every day or two and the panel makes warning beeps at times when the system isn't armed. Pressing the info button tells that it is this particular sensor. I don't really know how to figure out what is going wrong. The sensor seems to be functioning ok.

Any ideas on this?

Looking at another forum, it suggests I think, that the system may have gotten into a bad state with this problem sensor and that the thing to do is default the system for a clean start.

Does anyone have useful hints on settings to use when reprogramming after defaulting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Don't default the system .. What is it saying exactly when you press status ?

• Advertisement

The status is saying sensor failure on that one. When I go through the system test for a little while, afterwards, the status is back to system ok but it can go back to sensor failure some time later.
    I talked to altor and he suggested testing the sensor by closing the terminals on the little inertial unit within the sensor. I did that. The system status remined in failure until I did system test but was ok after that.
    I guess it must be a faulty sensor then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement