Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

3:40.31

Mini-post over on events forum. Full report and analysis tomorrow.

Ran the final session of this training plan at lunchtime in Cork on Sunday. Three steady miles over a hilly route between Glanmire and Riverstown. Damp conditions. Legs felt ok.

79 sessions had been planned over 20 weeks. I completed 73 sessions. Missing 5 due to injury at the start of March and missing one due to a relax of discipline during taper. I set two consecutive 10mile Garmin PBs and I ran a hugely encouraging 22 miler where the last 8 miles were slightly faster than marathon pace. McMillan had me well inside 3:30.

Roll on race day.

M01 8:11
    M02 8:07
    M03 8:05

Total 3.01M @ 8:18

Week 20 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to 9:00 | 5.11 | 9:06
    Steady 5M @ 8:30 to 8:00 | 5.02 | 8:11
    Steady 3M @ 8:30 to 8:00 | 3.01 | 8:18

Sessions Completed / On Target / DNS / DNF / Remaining |Session Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    73 / 72 / 06 / 00 / 0 | 13.14 / 8.03 / 621.19

New Marathon PB of 3:40:31

Position 357 of 1403 finishers. Placing me just inside the first 25% of the field.

Pre-Race

After last year I was determined not to be under-fueled.

Big lunch the day before race - check.
    Bowl of pasta the night before race - check.
    Banana and 2 slices of toast 2hrs before race - check.

Woke just before 7, staying out the Western Road. Looked out the window and for the first time I realise there is something I neglected to pack - sun-cream. Who would have thought!

Had breakfast. Pinned number to top. Then took it off and repinned it because it was a bit too off-centre. I can be a bit OCD like that. Waited anxiously for a call of nature that I feared might not arrive. But it did, phew. Then strolled into town. I got my wish, there was no humidity worth mentioning, but man it was warm on Washington Street. Now the bladder's having a call of nature so I join a long slow queue for the gents' portaloos. Made it with about 4 mins to spare. Means I didn't manage any warm-up or stretches. Worked my way up to behind the 3:30 balloons, looked for but didn't spot belcarra.

The crowds inch forward, and then inch forward again, and then again. Are we going to walk over the line? Horn sounds and we're off. Target pace 7:55.

Miles 1 to 5 in 39:23

M01 7:50
    M02 7:53
    M03 7:46
    M04 7:55
    M05 7:56

Plan was to ignore the 3:30 balloons and busy myself with pacing to 7:55 on the Garmin and finding and following the race line myself. I didn't enjoy surrendering these tasks to the pace-makers last year.

And so I find myself ahead of the pace-makers for the first 3 miles. Find I have to concentrate on slowing down, and I'm happy about this. Focus on following the race-line and notice other people doing the same though the bulk of runners are hugging the kerbs. I go too fast on mile 3 and make a better effort to ease up. The pacemakers must have set off a bit slower than intended (congestion?). With me slowing down and them speeding up we meet at the start of mile 4. I find myself running 2 or 3 metres behind them. In their wake for the first time in the race I find things are a bit congested. Head down toward Tivoli and 5 miles on the Garmin is 39:23, that's twelve seconds up against target pace 7:55. Fine.

Miles 6 to 10 in 40:02

M01 7:52
    M02 8:01
    M03 8:25 (tunnel)
    M04 7:55
    M05 7:47

Navigate a series of traffic cones by Silver Springs before we head onto the Dual carriageway. Despite my best intentions the pacers are distracting me from my own Garmin pacing and I get a bit lazy. Near the Dunkettle roundabout some clouds roll in, up until this point we had been running under constant sunshine. I take my first gel before the tunnel. Still focusing on following the race line so I stay out my the middle of the road as we enter.
    Lose satellite reception.

"Aussie - Aussie - Aussie"
    "Oi-Oi-Oi"

"Oi-Oi-Oi"

"Aussie"
    "Oi"

"Aussie"
    "Oi"

"Oi-Oi-Oi"

We exit and mile 8 logs at 8:25, but I don't trust this mile with the tunnel. Ask myself how I'm feeling, and I feel 'ok'. Not mad about anything uphill at the moment and aware it's very early days, but overall yeah I feel ok.

Happy to leave the South Ring Road and head into Mahon. Coming up to 10 miles. I'm still around 3 metres behind the pacers. The clock at the side of the road turns 1:20:00 as we pass. Balloons are spot on. On my watch it's 1:19:25, that's 15 seconds down against target pace 7:55. Fine.

Miles 11 to 15 in 39:48

M11 7:53
    M12 7:55
    M13 7:59
    M14 8:10
    M15 7:50

Work our way round to the estuary. The sun is out but it's fresher now. I enjoy this stretch. The balloons have moved a bit further ahead so they're less of a distraction and I pay more attention to the Garmin. I see the clock turn to 1:45:00 as I pass over the mat. Incredible really that you can cover 13.1 miles down to the second.

Mentally this is where I stop enjoying the race. Not because anything happens but just because from previous years I know that this is where things can start to happen, a stitch for example, then there's that nasty footbridge to go over and the long potentially humid corridor back to the Lee. Basically I'm now focusing on and preparing for obstacles. I know this isn't a positive attitude to take into the second half of the race but I've been conditioned by my two marathons to date into thinking like this.

Over the footbridge, don't like it. Down the corridor, not as humid as I'd feared. Do I feel better at this point than I did last year? No. Do I feel worse? No. Some faster relay runners coming through. I reckon they can't be happy trying to navigate through us. Take my second gel. I've definitely fueled up well pre-race as I'm not as 'hungry' for the gel as I thought I'd be. Still stick to the strategy, gel at 7, 14 and 21. We exit the covered corridor and are back Leeside. Go through 15 miles in 1:59:13. That's 28 seconds down against target pace 7:55. Fine, I know 7:55 would get me home nicely inside 3:30, so there's room to spare.

Miles 16 to 20 in 40:59

M16 7:50
    M17 7:52
    M18 7:54
    M19 8:23
    M20 8:57

"When are the wheels going to come off?"
    Why should they come off?
    "Because that's what happens when you run marathons."
    That's what happened before, doesn't mean it will happen again.
    "Who are you kidding?"
    It might feel like this or a little tougher right to the end. That'd be fine.
    "Yeah, right, let's just wait and see."

The doubts are ready and waiting.
    Go through 16 and this is always a significant milestone, just 10 (and a little bit, we'll worry about that later) to go. The countdown can start proper. Happy to get back to the crowds by the docks. I've friends waiting here and I have a big wave and smile for the camera. They must think I'm really comfortable. The balloons are 10 metres ahead. I follow the race-line down the Link Road. Now I'm feeling it. No point pretending otherwise. Up that vicious exit and round by Turners Cross. A lot of people moaning here. I ask myself again how I feel. I'm surprised when I answer myself to say that I feel better than I did last year at this point. This gives me renewed hope. Maybe it will be ok. This unexpected new found optimism lasts around 5 mins and then the pain of this year's marathon comes flooding in.

On mile 19 the legs are beginning to lose energy, I've been here before. But this is actually earlier than last year! Then I feel like I'm going to get sick. Stomach churns, throat catches. I pull up alongside a parked car. I just stand for 10 seconds or so to see if I'm going to vomit or not. I don't. I start running again, but the pace has dropped and I know I won't be able to pick it up. Not with over 6 miles to go. The balloons (actually just one balloon - the other burst on mile 16) are drifting away. I accept it, 3:30 is not going to happen, again :(

Big thanks to the Finbarr's runner who handed me and another struggler some cola-bottle jellies as he passed. They were very welcome. Just left them in my mouth, didn't swallow, was too nervous to. Maybe I can hold 8:5X pace to the end? Go through 20 miles in 2:40:12, that's 1:52 down on target pace 7:55. Not fine.

Miles 21 to 25 in 47:52

M21 8:53
    M22 10:14
    M23 9:11
    M24 9:52
    M25 9:40

I manage to hold 8:5X pace for one more mile. Then the lowest point of the marathon, mile 22. I'm dreading the prospect of another finish like last year, but this time the wheels have come off earlier. This could turn out worse than last year. Maybe I'm just not cut out for marathons? I contemplate a DNF. But there are 5 people waiting at the finish line for me, I can't DNF. I stop-start. Walk bits. I decide to risk the third gel as per original plan. I'm feeling pretty miserable.

But then we get to the sharp descent down towards the orchards. The little walking breaks I've had seem to have halted my decline. I start running. I tell myself forget about the Garmin, just try hold this speed, I know it's 9:XX but so what, just try hold it. This is the new challenge. Energy is low, wait for the gel to help. Are my legs really that sore (yes), convince myself they're not. I focus on the horizon of each stretch of road and tell myself to ignore any pain from my legs. Just keep tipping over. The math is too complicated but I reckon if I just keep running there could be an outside chance of a PB.

Onto the Carrigrohane Road and now we're finally heading in the right direction. Around 23 miles there's a Finbarr's runner (I think) being tended to, flat on the ground, eyes shut, with an oxegen mask on. Hope he's alright.

Focus on a guy in a blue top with Instructor written on his back. He's also struggling and travelling at this terribly slow pace. Tell myself to just stay with him. Round by the Mardyke. Don't look at your watch. Don't stop. Energy is terribly low but I've convinced myself that the soreness in the legs is bearable. The 1:40 HM balloons pass me by. Onto mile 26 and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to continue now to the end. In fact I notice my pace increasing.
    The stretch along the quays never feels longer than when running it at marathon-end. The shouts of "You're nearly there" coming from the tremendous support are part encouraging, part infuriating. Pass mile 26 and turn onto Patrick's Street. Up the pace as much as I can. Genuinely don't know if a PB is on or not until I see the clock, it's just turned 3:41. That should be enough.

Over the mat. Stop the Garmin and check the time - 3:40:31. Yes :). If confirmed that'll be a 59 second PB on last year.

The 3:30 wasn't to happen. But my overwhelming sensation is that I rescued a PB and prevented a disaster today. I was so so much more disappointed at 22 miles than I was at 26.2.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/185995269

I compared last year's run with this year's run on Garmin Connect. The rescue is there in black and white. After 18 miles I was 47 seconds down on last year's time. After 22 miles I had drifted to 3:55 down on last year. And then I started to claw back: after 23 Garmin miles 3:48 down, after 24 Garmin miles, 3:23 down, after 25, 2:30 down, after 26, 0:46 down, and I pass my virtual self from 2011 on the final part mile, finishing 59 seconds up.

Analysis

What went wrong? McMillan had me at 3:24:28 based on my 10 mile time. So I was there or thereabouts. My 14+8 LSR had filled me with confidence. I'd hit 99% of my training sessions on target, the one that was off target was the 14+8 where the 8 PMP miles were faster than PMP.

I used gels unlike last year. I ate right beforehand unlike last year.

I need to think more about it but some things come to mind:

- the quality of the sessions may have been good, but with a 4 day running the quantity suffered. Just over 620 miles training across 20 weeks works out at 31 miles a week. Too light.

- no races in training - although I had registered for Ballycotton but had to pull out.

- is a year too long between marathons? do I lose momentum?

- two marathons and two walls has conditioned me mentally and doesn't help my frame of mind going into a new marathon.

- I never train to heart-rate. Is it time to convert to P&D?

I'm not running this week and I've time to mull over things. One thought though is starting to take shape. I think it's important that I run a marathon without hitting a wall. With this in mind I'm thinking of DCM. Not as a 3:30 attempt. Instead, ease the pressure and maybe try run it at 8:1X pace to come home in 3:3X. then take 3 next year back in Cork. We'll see.

Well anyway, that's 1 of this year's 4 planned PBs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Great report, I can relate to your pain for those last few miles.

Think you could be right about "no races during training" as I think this is how you really find out how the training is going.

Hope to see you in DCM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

great read. From my own experience its a complete killer to have to dig in and try and finish when you realise the 3 30 is gone and there's no chance. Credit big time for having the guts to get that pb in the end. I've had two well trained for marathons where I blew up. Next time im thinking of doing a few long 28-30 miles runs , not conventional but ..
    . Anyhow great log , you'll get that 3 30 if you keep going. Well done again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

If the result was as good as the report.....

I was sure from following your training you had it in the bag but that is the challenge of the marathon. I did the half and must have passed you in the last couple of miles (just ahead of the 1:40 pacers). The Straight in particular seemed to suck the energy out of most, whether it was the breeze or not I'm not sure. You showed great resilience to pick it back up for the finish - and PBs are always good.

DCM sounds like a good plan, it avoids the tough 16-20 mile stretch in Cork and mentally will be different.

Congrats again on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Harto45

Congratulations. Great report and great recovery to rescue the PB, particularly when you realised 3:30 was gone. Shows some guts. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hard luck in not achieving your goal time, you showed serious guts finishing the way you did. That will stand to you in the future, DCM now to look forward to!!!

It’s been over a week now since I’ve gone for a run and I’m itching to get back. Which is a good place to be. The timing chip from Cork is still attached to my runners. I’m on single-Dad duty tonight and tomorrow so I have to be patient for a little bit longer. Friday morning is pencilled in for my first run post Cork.

The legs have felt ok since Cork. The odd twinge or tweak or ache but nothing out of the ordinary and nothing that is causing me any concern. My diet has gone a bit out the window and I’ve been sat in front of the box whenever possible following the football. Thrilled for my old favourite Sheva the other night.

Been thinking about plans for the rest of the year.

I’ve kinda made up my mind that I will do another marathon in October, probably Dublin, but an outside chance that I might try the Marine Corps Marathon in DC. Both races are on the same weekend. Depends on where I am. My aim will be to PB and avoid blowing up.

This month it’ll be recovery and LSR pace runs up until the 5 miler in Phoenix. I’ll race that based largely how I feel on the day. I’d be very very happy with a 34:59, but don’t know how realistic that is, not having run fast in so long.

Then I’ll have 2 weeks of more strenuous training followed maybe by some hill sessions in Italy.

After that a 14 week training plan leading up to DCM.
    The plan will be as if training for sub 3:30 even if on the day I’m not going to attempt sub 3:30. The real sub 3:30 attempt will be in Cork next year. The 14 week training will also incorporate PB attempts at 10mile and HM in the race series.

Looking forward to making a start on the above come Friday morning.

We’re 4-0 down and I’m looking out the window thinking we may not be Euro-Champions but if there was a European Rain Championship we’d soak those Spaniards.

Was happy that by early morning the rain had passed. Took the timing chip from Cork off my runner and headed out on an overdue post marathon run. 5 miles at recovery pace was on the menu. It may not have been raining but it was still wet and windy out.

Paid close attention to the legs waiting for negative feedback. Both knees ached a bit. My right heel was also a little unhappy but I expected that, it had been protesting a bit over the last couple of days. Must dedicate some stretches to it. Apart from that the run was fine. It was good to be back out and I was pleasantly surprised that the pace would pick up whenever I lost concentration. Kept the overall pace in recovery range though.

Legs are creaking a bit now alright, and I takes a few steps before I’m walking normal after everytime I get up. Nothing that another run in the morning won’t help sort out.

M01 9:14
    M02 8:56
    M03 9:08
    M04 9:00
    M05 9:08

Total 5.18 miles @ 9:06 pace.

• Advertisement

Another easy 5 miler this morning. Upped the pace to LSR pace (9:00 to 8:45). From home, round the Kyber and back. Mixed bag weather wise, started cloudy and breezy, then a shower, then some sunshine making it feel humid. This all in the space of 5 miles. The legs felt much better today during and after the run. I've a 10 miler planned for tomorrow again at LSR pace. Looking forward to it.

M01 8:46
    M02 8:43
    M03 8:31 (down the Kyber)
    M04 8:49
    M05 9:00

Total 5.05 miles @ 8:47

First run of a significant distance since Cork. First outing for my CCM12 top. Met up with a friend for this one and that helped me stay at target pace (LSR pace 9:00 to 8:45). Humid again, especially round the playing fields. Overall the legs feel ok. My knees that were aching a little over the last couple of days were fine. My left heel is the only source of negative feedback. Two stretching sessions a day for the Achilles for the next few weeks. Hopefully that will help.

On Wellington Road I exchange howaryas witch another runner in a CCM12 top. I knew I'd see one.

M01 8:57
    M02 8:51
    M03 8:48
    M04 8:55
    M05 8:55
    M06 8:47
    M07 8:50
    M08 8:59
    M09 8:43
    M10 8:44

Total 10.17 miles @ 8:51 pace.

Bit concerned about my left achilles. It continues to twinge and ache. I’m doing two types of stretches to try remedy this. Wall pushes: one where the leg to be stretched is straight out behind me, heel on ground; and one where the leg to be stretched is behind me but with knee bent and heel on ground. I’ll keep these up twice a day and see if I note improvement over the next week or two. I’ll try some icing as well.

Despite pints last night and not a lot of sleep I stepped out in the rain this morning for 5 more recovery pace miles. Everything feels in order apart from a dull ache from the left achilles.

5.12 miles @ 9:03 pace.

There’s recovery and there’s slacking off and I think I’ve been guilty of the latter over the last weeks. Only 4 runs since Cork is too little. The Euros are partially to blame. The evenings are following a particular pattern. Put the game on pause and put the little one to bed. Prepare something to eat and/or do the washing up. Sit down and unpause the game, struggle to stay awake until the end of the game. It’s late, I’m tired and the chances of getting out at 6am for a run dwindle by the minute.

I have the 5 mile race in Phoenix next Saturday. I need a plan.

Saturday or Sunday = Recovery pace lap of Phoenix with OH’s sister.

Saturday of Sunday = 11 mile progression LSR (2M @ LSR, 2M @ Steady, 1M @ PMP, 1M @ Tempo, 1M @ PMP, 2M @ Steady, 2M @ LSR).

Tuesday = 5M Recovery
    Wednesday = 5M Steady
    Thursday = 5M Recovery

Today the Achilles feels better. I’ve added that exercise where you sit with leg stretched in front, put a towel around the ball off the foot and pull the towel towards yourself. All these stretches should become a permanent fixture.

Saturday morning headed out just gone 9 for a progression style run. Wanted to shift through the gears to see how the legs would respond. Once again it was the left achilles which gave most feedback. Ached most of the way round. The plan was 2M@LSR + 2M@Steady + 1M@PMP + 1M@Tempo + 1M@PMP + 2M@Steady + 2M@LSR. But I wasn't concentrating and on the 'way-out' I ran 2 miles at PMP instead of 1. Each time I had to shift up pace I wasn't looking forward to doing so but as soon as I shifted up pace it didn't feel as bad as I'd expected. I enjoyed the 1 tempo mile, it's been since France since I last hit sub 7:30 pace.

Legs are still not 100% since Cork. I'd be much happier if the achilles felt better. I think that's he one thing that could prevent me from going fast next Saturday.

M01 8:48
    M02 8:42
    M03 8:12
    M04 8:12
    M05 7:58
    M06 7:58
    M07 7:06
    M08 7:57
    M09 8:20
    M10 8:57
    M11 8:55

Total 11.13 @ 8:18

The plan was to run with the OH's sister around a lap of Phoenix. She wasn't feeling too great this morning so I headed out on my own.

The plan initially was to run at recovery pace but as I was on my own I decided to switch to LSR pace. Then that didn't really work out with the early miles logging too fast. I was happy that despite feeling convinced that I was running at 8:5X pace, each time I glanced at the Garmin it was showing 8:3X pace. Then I decided to do something I haven't done in a long long time (ever?), ignore the Garmin completely and just run at whatever felt comfortable. Should do this more often.

Lots of people out running this morning. When the sun did manage to find a gap in the clouds it was very warm. Today the Achilles did ache a bit but it was much improved on yesterday. Hopefully it's mending. It's felt fine during the day.

Spent a fair bit of today's run thinking about Saturday's race. I really don't expect to be breaking any records. The plan will probably be to set out for 7:0X pace and see how it feels. Got my number in the post today. Despite not feeling fresh nor confident I'm still looking forward to racing.

M01 9:05
    M02 8:32
    M03 8:38
    M04 8:40
    M05 8:45
    M06 8:20
    M07 8:43
    M08 8:41

Total 8.84M @ 8:43

Out for 5 recovery pace miles early this morning.
    Legs felt like lead for the first mile and a half. Left Achilles still upset, but maybe improving, slowly.
    Warm out there this morning.

5.05M @ 9:05 pace

Didn’t get out yesterday which means my 3 midweek runs get pushed forward a day, which means race day on Saturday will be my fourth consecutive day of running. I’m ok with that, I prefer the idea of racing the day after a 5 mile recovery pace run, than the idea of running ‘cold’ after a rest day.

Provided I decide to race on the day (Achilles), I need a race plan.

My 5 mile PB is officially 35:26, (but I’m convinced I went under 35:00. My Garmin logged 34:45 on the day and mat to mat it has never been out by more than 5 or 6 seconds, it’s usually out by a second or two, it was spot-on over 26.2 miles in Cork).

Anyway to get a new official PB I’d have to hit 7:05 pace, allowing for racing line and congestion, really I’d need to aim for 7:00 minute Garmin miles. I think that’s what I might just do. I’d hope to go sub 7:00 for the first two mostly downhill miles, hold on for the next two mostly uphill miles, and maybe squeeze another sub 7:00 out of the final mile. That would be a new official PB, it would be the second of the 4 PBs this log’s title is looking for, and might even get me a 34:XX, just to put the record straight.

Another run falls victim to the Euros.

Up yesterday at 5:45 to run at 6:00. Get home yesterday evening. Game goes on pause until the little one is tucked up in bed. Game goes off pause late, then runs to injury time. It’s gone midnight before the penalties are over. I knew going to sleep afterwards that it would take tremendous effort to get up at 5:45 again. Never happened.

If Italy or Germany can win within 90 mins tonight then I’ll be good to run in the morning.

In the meantime I’m just telling myself that the rest is good for the Achilles.

So Italy do me a favour and dispose of Germany inside 90 minutes. OH jumping up and down punching the air, all in complete silence, little one in dreamland.

So it's up and out at 6 Friday morning for 5 more miles just to keep the legs awake for Saturday's Irish runner. Wasn't really too pushed about pace as long as I didn't go faster than LSR pace (max 8:45).

Paying attention to the Achilles again. Few tweaks alright. Hard to say if it's getting better or not. I feel a physio visit coming on. Mate of mine ruptured his playing tag-rugby and was out for 6 months. The rest of the day it feels fine.

M01 9:16
    M02 8:45
    M03 8:54
    M04 8:52
    M05 8:56

Total 5.12 @ 8:57

So Italy do me a favour and dispose of Germany inside 90 minutes. OH jumping up and down punching the air, all in complete silence, little one in dreamland.

So it's up and out at 6 Friday morning for 5 more miles just to keep the legs awake for Saturday's Irish runner. Wasn't really too pushed about pace as long as I didn't go faster than LSR pace (max 8:45).

Paying attention to the Achilles again. Few tweaks alright. Hard to say if it's getting better or not. I feel a physio visit coming on. Mate of mine ruptured his playing tag-rugby and was out for 6 months. The rest of the day it feels fine.

M01 9:16
    M02 8:45
    M03 8:54
    M04 8:52
    M05 8:56

Total 5.12 @ 8:57

• Advertisement

:):) New PB 34:35 :):)

Pre-Race

I felt a bit reckless this morning, didn't feel like I was doing the wise thing racing after not a lot of running in June, and with a worrisome achilles (achilles or Achilles). But I was in the mood for a race. If I felt the heel was giving too much feedback I'd drop the pace right down or drop out.

Left home at 9:15 on an empty stomach. Picked up a Powerade on route. I jogged up from Park Gate to the starting pens. Walked up to my pen (sub 40). Found an unbusy spot about 20 meters back from the start-line. Found myself a satellite and busied myself with some calf stretches. Discovered that 'Spar' means 'to save' in German. Everyone around looked relaxed and casual. Nice chilled mood. Everyone looked like they were in the right pen. Everyone moves forward, the claxon sounds and off we go. Optimistic target 34:59.

Mile 1 - 6:38
    I'd read later over on the events forum about congestion but tbh I found no reason to complain, maybe I was lucky. I think the wave start really helped. Yes there were two or three people who I needed to weave around but to be fair I was travelling at 6:4X pace and somebody running at 7:5X pace had every right to be where they were. Starting these races on Chesterfield though is essential I think. I'm surprised to see 6:4X pace on the watch it really doesn't feel that quick. Overtake quite a few people going along the North Road (so that's where the Stone Roses will be) and I'm overtaken by half a dozen or so runners as well. Ok the plan was to run the first two miles under 7:00. And by under 7:00 minutes I'd intended 6:5X. Here I am instead happy at 6:4X, 6:3X pace. I reckon if I'm happy just stay with it and bank bank bank. Mile one 6:38. 22" up.

Mile 2 - 6:36
    Less overtaking going on now. I settle into 6:4X pace again. I wonder how many people around me are going to die a death when we turn up Military Road. I remember the announcer guy saying to keep something in the tank for the last 2 miles and I wonder if my bank bank bank strategy is wise. Leg it down the Kyber telling myself to enjoy this while it lasts. Real race starts soon. Mile 2 logs at 6:36 and I'm 46" up. I've never run 2 miles so fast.

Mile 3 - 6:54
    Down to the bottom of the Kyber and under the half-way shute. Turn right and brace myself. The legs are ok. Up around the first corner. The pace drops naturally and I don't push it. 6:3X pace becomes 6:4X pace becomes 6:5X pace. But we've reached the S-bends and the pace stabilizes at 6:5X. Breathing starting to labour a bit now but the legs are still good. I post my first ever hat-trick of sub 7:00 minute miles :). And I have 52" in the bank.

Mile 4 - 7:02
    So the back of a beermat race plan had been 6:5X for the first two miles, 7:0X for miles 3 and 4, and 6:XX for the last mile. I was well ahead of schedule and knew I could ease up a little and needn't be worried if I start dropping over 7:00 minute mile. This definitely was a nice feeling mentally and I needed that boost because I was starting to feel it now. Mostly in the breathing. The drag up the Glen Road pushed the pace down to 7:0X. I was being overtaken by a few runners now. My breathing continued to be the biggest challenge. I couldn't manage 4 sub 7 miles in a row. Mile 4 is 7:02. 50" in the bank.

Mile 5 - 7:11
    I was mentally running ahead and thinking of each corner that was waiting. Man there's still a long way to go. I can feel the first faint hint of that lung burning sensation. Uhhh. Head down come on. I look at the watch and see 7:3X pace :eek: Knowing that I had 50" in the bank had caused be to ease up a little bit too much. Allowing for racing line I knew that 7:3X pace could see me blowing a PB in the last mile. I pick it up again and push the pace down to 7:2X pace. Tell myself to hold it there and then when we (eventually eventually, where is it!!!) turn onto Furze Road I should have some kick left. The first 800ms of this last mile are probably the worst part of the race. A few times I notice people pulling up to me then travelling with me, but today I'm not accepting any gauntlets, no individual races thank you. When I do finally find myself on Furze Road I know that my pace has picked up. I can see the finishing line, still 400ms away. I look at the watch and see 7:18 pace. Brilliant, just hold this and it should be enough. I don't fancy a sprint finish, and I don't need one. I read 34:49 on the clock ahead :) I'm going to finish under 35:00 not just on my chip. Brilliant. Little clenched fist punch as I cross the line. Beep. 34:38 on the Garmin. Thrilled and a fair bit wrecked.

If my Garmin was on the ball then this is not just an official PB but also an "in my heart-of-hearts" PB, cause I just know my Garmin 34:45 for the Aware 5 miler last December was much closer to the truth than my chip 35:26.

Post Race
    First off I must say that this race was, from my point of view, seamlessly and excellently organized. Clearly marked pens, wide road start, started on time, big thumbs up for the wave starts, I didn't find any unjustified congestion. Water point was well placed just after 3 miles (even though I didn't need to use it, my Powerade accompanied me around). Mile markers seemed spot on. The route measured 5.04 on my Garmin and despite not being a loop it shows a 1m net gain. I'm not fussed about goodie bags and actually forgot I was going to get one, so that was like a nice bonus at the end. And I got to jog down the middle of Chesterfield going home :). What would I have changed? I would have put some loud dance beats up near the top of the Glen Road.

Results out in the afternoon. Another big thumbs up for that. And my Garmin was 3 seconds too slow. A brand new super-shiny 5 mile PB of 34:35. :)

Final position 337 of 4046 finishers, placing me inside the top 9% of the field.

June's been a funny month. My second lowest mileage month of the year. No speedwork worth talking about. Some skipped runs, a worrisome Achilles. Tired legs. And yet; I've posted 2 new PBs across two very different distances and I'm already half way to completing the goal of this log's title.

I must have been really focused on the race today, I didn't notice my achilles at all. It's been 'fine' for the rest of the day, but I can definitely feel a swelling. I have an ice-pack on it as I type. I've noted some physio addresses from the booklet in the goodie bag. I also cannot recall if it rained or not while I was going round. Nor can I remember if the sun was shining?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/194326609

2012 2 races 2 PBs.

The left achilles doesn’t feel any better or worse than before Saturday’s race. I reckon I’m not giving it time to mend. With that in mind I’ve decided to rest for 2 weeks (and probably a third because I’ll be in the Alps where hill running is the only option). During that time I’ll ice it 2/3 times a day, and continue with light stretches. If at the end of this period I still don’t feel confident to run on it I’ll call to a physio. In fact I’ll probably call to a physio anyway.

4th day without running and the achilles doesn’t feel any better or any worse (maybe a little less swollen). Not really sore, but twinges after inactivity. It’s never pained me to the point where it affects my run, and last during last Saturday’s PB race I didn’t notice it all while running.

I’m going to book a physio appointment for next week regardless. Safe than sorry time. I’ve also decided that I’ll try gait analysis at AK in Bray (seems to have the best reviews).

5th day without running. Achilles genuinely feels better today. No twinges. Plan on booking physio appointment tomorrow.

10th day without running.

Most of the time when walking about the achilles feels fine, then every so often it will twinge a bit to remind me it's not yet fully happy. And it is still tender (and in places bumpy) to touch. I'm seeing a physio tomorrow evening so hopefully that will take some of the guesswork out of this recovery. I've had more painful and more obvious injuries, to be honest the achilles isn't paining me and I'm sure I could run on it, it's just because it's the achilles I don't want to take any unnecessary risks (5 mile PB aside :rolleyes:).

The hope is that next week is the third and final week of rest. I'll be in a hilly world next week where I don't plan on a repeat of this:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41849900

When back I hope to do one easyish week. Then that leaves me with 13 weeks to build to DCM. I'm not now expecting heroics (1:12:XX) in the Frank Duffy, but I do hope to drop into a next minute PB (1:14:XX). I'd hope to have a crack at (1:34:59) for the Half in September.

10 days? Feels like 10 months!

12th day without running.

Went to the physio yesterday evening.

Confirmed what I knew already, very slight inflammation in right achilles and mild inflammation in left achilles (didn’t feel so mild when it was being pinched).

He mentioned that more often than not if the issue is with both legs then it’s a biomechanical issue rather than a single incident (e.g. a bad land of a pavement).

He checked and confirmed that I slightly over-pronate. He suspects the tendon ache stems from this. Lot of information given last night (with models of feet demonstrating what was going on).

I mentioned that I would be away next week and was resigned to not running until Monday week. He reckons that is more than enough rest (given I haven’t run this month). Gave me a series of stretches to do (I was definitely not stretching correctly – I didn’t realise I needed to hold the stretch for 30/35 seconds :o ), plus some strength exercises.

He recommended a simple insole from Boots for now. I think the next pair of runners I get I’ll experiment and aim for something to restrict the pronation. He recommended to use an anti-inflammatory on the tendon, and to ice after running. He thinks I came to him at the perfect time saying that some people wait for months and the healing process then becomes more complicated. I'm lucky in that my issue is higher up in the achilles rather than lower down. I’ll see him again in three weeks and take it from there, but it could easily be that the next session is the last.

He also worked the calf muscles (ouch) – still feeling that today. And most importantly reassured me that what I had was mild and put my mind at ease – I keep thinking of my mate who ruptured his.

I’m happy I went and happy with the feedback.

But I’m really dying to run now.

Back. For now. Fingers crossed.

24 days without running. I've been kind of good with doing my prescribed stretches and strength exercises. I still feel some twinges and sometimes a dull ache from the achilles, but I do think (hope) that it's improving. To be honest I reckon I could stop running for 3 or 4 months and still detect some feedback from it. So bite the bullet, get the runners back on and just do my best to manage this as I go.

It was great to get back on the road this morning and I'm officially calling it session 1 of 55 sessions leading to a PB attempt at DCM. Got up earlier than usual to get some stretches in before lacing up. On the physio's recommendation I bought a sports insole in Boots (Scholl Sports Orthoheel). Replaced the Nimbus insoles with these. They fitted snugly. Right from the first few strides I noticed a difference, feet were definitely less mobile within the shoe. I don't know if this will prove to be an improvement or not but it definitely felt better.

Achilles gave the slightest of twinges on mile 3, but overall a pleasing lack of feedback. It was a little more unhappy than usual during the day, but not worryingly so. Legs ached a bit in the afternoon but then it has been 24 days without running.

No advanced plans for Dublin (only 11 weeks!!), just a steady increase in Sunday LSR mileage and spend Saturdays working on speed. Hopefully picking up 10M and HM PBs on the way. I'm going to order the PD book over Amazon and I'll fish a plan from that for Cork next year.

Anyway 5 recovery pace miles to start and man I really enjoyed them.

M01 9:09
    M02 8:55
    M03 9:12
    M04 9:05
    M05 9:08

Total 5.11M @ 9:06

Week 01 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to 9:00 | 5:11 | 9:06
    Steady 6M @ 8:30 to 8:00 | |
    Tempo 5M @ 7:30 to 7:00| |
    LSR 10M @ 9:00 to 8:45| |

Sessions Completed / On Target / DNS / DNF / Remaining |Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    01 / 01 / 00 / 00 / 54 | 5.11 / 5.11 / 743.97

Got out for 6 steady miles this morning. Has a bit concerned because yesterday during the afternoon and evening the heel was protesting a bit. But this morning while running it was 'fine'. Physio had said that if I felt the achilles complaining while running and it lasted more than say 90 seconds then I should slow up or stop altogether. I could feel it every so often on today's run but on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of pain it was no more than a 1, probably a 0.5. Overall I'm happy with this weeks two runs. I do feel more comfortable with the scholl insoles. I've done more stretches I've applied arnica oil. Patience.

Found it hard to judge pace this morning, sometimes 8:2X pace felt a bit of a chore, othertimes I had to slow down from 7:4X pace. Overall I don't think I've lost too much fitness from the 24 day break. Tomorrow will be interesting.

M01 8:31
    M02 8:16
    M03 8:13
    M04 8:12
    M05 8:26
    M06 8:16

Total 6.05M @ 8:20

Steady 6M @ 8:30 to 8:00 | 6.05 | 8:20
    Tempo 5M @ 7:30 to 7:00| |

02 / 02 / 00 / 00 / 53 | 11.16 / 11.16 / 750.02

So what was that I was saying about not losing to much fitness after a 24 day break? :o

Maybe I haven't lost too much endurance but my speed has suffered. Today's 5 miles was tough even at 30" a mile slower than the Irish Runner 5 miler in June. Felt it in the lungs mostly. The route was a simple loop from the Wellington Roundabout up to the Phoenix then down the Kyber. A lap measures 2.5 miles, 2 laps on the menu.

I started too fast and I knew mile 1 (7:16) took more effort than it should. I was very glad to turn left at the Phoenix. Recover on all downhill mile 2. It logs at 7:04 but the Kyber took all the effort out of it. On mile 3 turning back up Wellington Road and facing another drag up to the Phoenix I tell myself I have 40" in the bank and so I can run 7:3X pace for a while, and that I should run 7:3X pace or risk dying a death. Definitely feeling the drag and very happy again to leave Chesterfield behind. Down the Kyber and one last push back up to the roundabout. Happy to finish and happy to have finished on target.

If I was running a 10 miler this morning I don't think I could have held 7.22 pace for long after 5 miles: I've a lot of work to do in the next weeks.

Achilles was good today when running. I think I notice it less when I run faster. Some small tweaks in the evening.

Looking forward to tomorrow's 10 miler (have to go to bed!).

Warm-up 1.24M @ 9:03

M01 7:16
    M02 7:04
    M03 7:29
    M04 7:32
    M05 7:25

Total 5.08M @ 7:22
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/204088905

Warm-down 1.20M @ 9:15

Tempo 5M @ 7:30 to 7:00| 5.08 | 7:22

03 / 03 / 00 / 00 / 53 | 18.68 / 18.68 / 757.53

• Advertisement

Ten miles this morning on around 5 hours sleep and 3 Weetabix.
    Went ok. It took a while to settle into LSR pace. I felt comfortable for the full 10 miles. Was passed at one point by a guy in a pair of Vibram 5 Fingers, first time I've seen these; they slap a bit, could hear him approaching for ages.

The heel gave very little feedback during the run and during the afternoon afterwards. This evening it has been twinging a bit. Legs feel tired and ache a bit now, I guess it's been a while since they've completed a week's running and today is also the third of three consecutive on-the-road days.

Will be seeing the physio again on Wednesday.

M01 8:55
    M02 8:40
    M03 8:38
    M04 8:43
    M05 9:00
    M06 8:56
    M07 8:45
    M08 8:53
    M09 8:45
    M10 8:46

Total 10.15M @ 8:48

Tempo 5M @ 7:30 to 7:00| 5.08 | 7:22
    LSR 10M @ 9:00 to 8:45| 10.15 | 8:48

04 / 04 / 00 / 00 / 52 | 28.82 / 28.82 / 767.68

Advertisement