Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism a religion?

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

endacl wrote: »
    Nope. The ones that have been examined and discarded. Keep 'em coming all the same.

If you're casting herd mentality accusations about you might want to consider changing the avatar, by the way....
    well I have examined Atheism and discarded it with all the other religions . as for the avatar ... well.. no I wont be changing it and for good reason ..
    bye folks.. I'll check in on you all in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

DuPLeX wrote: »
    Nope. The ones that have been examined and discarded. Keep 'em coming all the same.

If you're casting herd mentality accusations about you might want to consider changing the avatar, by the way....
    well I have examined Atheism and discarded it with all the other religions . as for the avatar ... well.. no I wont be changing it and for good reason ..
    bye folks.. I'll check in on you all in a few days
    Bye for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Brainfart ? Is that the bovine catch-all term for concepts not yet accepted or understood by the herd ?

You're not getting it are you ?

"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack

NOW this is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky

And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die
    ."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'll check in on you all in a few days
    No you won't.

DuPLeX taking a longer break to familiarise himself with the term "discussion".

No more quoting his posts, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Can we not just all agree that atheism is in fact an ice cream?

Pretty please?

This thread has melted my brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well, that was an ordeal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well, that was an ordeal.

We can offer it up and bask in our collective State of Grace.

Oh. That's right. We can't.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    We can offer it up and bask in our collective State of Grace.

Oh. That's right. We can't.

:pac:

We can choose to believe we can, if we want. ;)

I'm still trying to figure out how asking how faith can be removed from religion shows that faith can be removed from religion. I suppose now I'll never know... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,238 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Question is... If Atheism is a religion, and you reject it along with every other religion... What are you? An Irreligionist? Surely if all Irreligionists share the same ideal.... then Irreligionism is itself a religion? Meaning that everyone with no religion has a religion.

*head explodes*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Penn wrote: »
    Question is... If Atheism is a religion, and you reject it along with every other religion... What are you? An Irreligionist?

This is something ive been thinking about, why must every form of belief be labeled? Im sure in some cases people just arent bothered with any religion or form of belief, they dont see it as being neccessary in their lives however they wouldnt consider themselves an atheist, agnostic or whatever else. They just dont and thats it.
    We start life without any labels as far as religion goes why then cant we go back to that?

• Advertisement

Well if there is an accepted term and definition, you can't really avoid falling under it if you meet the criteria.

Of course you have the right to not label yourself, although this won't change the fact that you are what the term entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,238 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dades wrote: »
    Well if there is an accepted term and definition, you can't really avoid falling under it if you meet the criteria.

Of course you have the right to not label yourself, although this won't change the fact that you are what the term entails.

'xactly. It's not like the label defines you in any way. It's just a name given to describe that particular trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

It's not a religion. It merely indicates that I do not believe that god/s exist. That's it. There are no necessary tenants, no dogma, no essential teachings. Any amount of spin and desperate attempts to alter words in the dictionary are not going to change that.

Being an atheist says nothing about my defining characteristics, personal interests, likes/dislikes, physical attributes etc. If I'm afraid of heights, I'm acrophobic. If I have no hair on my head, I'm bald. If I don't believe god/s exist, like it or not, I'm an atheist. I don't see a reason to avoid a term that fits, it's not an all-encompassing term.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Long Legged Mack Daddy

Sarky wrote: »
    And as soon as you do any of those things we'll let you know.

As soon as you are able to do anything other than reply with smartarsery I'll give evolution another look!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah I'm going to completely ignore gravity until people I don't know on the internet are nice to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

As soon as you are able to do anything other than reply with smartarsery I'll give evolution another look!

My word, the crazies really are out in force in this weather.

bluewolf wrote: »
    What difficult questions? All you do is tell everyone they're fundies, refuse to engage in any meaningful discussion, throw around more ad hominems, complain that you're being persecuted because nobody agrees with you

I never used the word persecuted. Show me where I did. If you were not given to those classic charachteristics of religion ie. a need to to twist the words of others to suit your own agenda and a weakness for self delusion, you would have noticed that what I take exception to is suggestions that I should be excluded from the general discourse and confined to the CT forum. I've never once complained that you or your fellow flock memers don't agree with me. I've also pointed out that I have no desire to confine myself to a forum in which many people would readily agree with alot of what I have to say on many issues.

I think it is you and your friends, like all religious people, who like to be part of a nice comfy love-in. Take a look at my other posts. I've only ever posted once on the CT forum and it was neither to seek the agreement of others or to agree with others. You will not find any evidence of participation in these comfy love-ins in any of my activity on boards.I wonder if I were to take a look at yours, could the same be said of you.

legspin wrote: »
    My word, the crazies really are out in force in this weather.

Childish mockery, such as refering to people with whom you don't agree as crazies, is a classic charchteristic of religious fundamentalism.

Long Legged Mack Daddy (aka Malpaisian) banned for sock-puppetry.

Dades made my post unneccessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

legspin wrote: »
    The most surprising thing is you expect to be taken seriously when all you have is spite and ad hominems.
    Come up with the proof against evolution and that atheism is a religion and you might actually get somewhere on here. Do not and expect the mockery to continue, especially as you seem to react so badly to it.

Not even proof. Just a evidential hint would do. Some small thing to get an actual discussion going. Platypus doesn't count, by the way. That seems to be more of an evolution-fart, than any suggestion there's a god either with or without a sense of humour.

I mean, its been fun taking the mick, but if you want to come on and discuss than do that. Don't just get all stroppy when the Michael is rightly extracted.

p.s. Legspin. Sploosh never happened in the end. (off topic).

p.s. Legspin. Sploosh never happened in the end. (off topic).
    Perhaps tis as well that I left early then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Aww, it looks like I missed a heck of a lot over the last two days. Anyone care to give the humourous summary? I got a Maxi Twist here for the best one. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jernal wrote: »
    Aww, it looks like I missed a heck of a lot over the last two days. Anyone care to give the humourous summary? I got a Maxi Twist here for the best one. :)

you're all religious
    you're all religious
    you're all religious
    you're all religious
    you're all religious
    scientists are conspiring against us
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN I SHOULD POST IN CT THAT'S DISCRIMINATION
    you're all religious

re reg
    you're all religious
    Dades: stfu dude /slap

the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Just a quick one guys. One can be Athiest and still believe in an after life. Would I be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Just a quick one guys. One can be Athiest and still believe in an after life. Would I be right?

Yes. Both Scientology and Buddhism would be atheistic in nature while proposing a continuation of existence post-mortem.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only thing which defines one as "atheist" is the lack of belief in a God. So you can beileve in anything else your heart desires and still be atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Yes.

*Edit* Too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    you're all religious
    you're all religious
    you're all religious
    you're all religious
    you're all religious
    scientists are conspiring against us
    you're all religious

re reg
    you're all religious
    Dades: stfu dude /slap

the end

(I actually had to remind myself that your sig was in fact your sig.)
    Thanks. :)
    One Maxi Twist for you.

• Advertisement

Yes if you want to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement