Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism a religion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

Dades wrote: »
    I have to agree with this.

Malpaisian, I'm starting to suspect you're either a troll or have zero interest in opinions or facts that conflict with your preconceptions.

I could just as easily say the same about many of the people on this thread especially those who think "conspiracy theorists" should be shut out of general discourse and those who jump to simple and neat conclusions such as me being religious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Malpaisian wrote: »
    I could just as easily say the same about many of the people on this thread especially those who think "conspiracy theorists" should be shut out of general discourse and those who jump to simple and neat conclusions such as me being religious.

CT is a public forum, there is nothing shut out about it

you are calling the atheists and agnostics of this forum religious, so how that applies to them and not you under the same arguments ...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

bluewolf wrote: »
    and yet exhibits all the characteristics he dislikes of religion

*Challenging the prescribed wisdom is not a charachteristic of religion
    *Allowing yourself to believe that much of what you were brought up to believe and much of what you are lead to believe now may welll be bullsh1t is not a charachteristic of religion. (There is no comfort in it at all)
    *Refusing to seek the comfort of others who would readily agree with me in the CT forum is not a charachteristic of religion.
    *Posing uncomfortable questions is not a charachteristic of religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

And as soon as you do any of those things we'll let you know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What difficult questions? All you do is tell everyone they're fundies, refuse to engage in any meaningful discussion, throw around more ad hominems, complain that you're being persecuted because nobody agrees with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

*A desire to jump to simple and convenient conclusions ( Malpaisian must be religious)

Firstly,.who said you must be religious?

Secondly, I'm glad you found a way to be superior to everyone.

If Dades or Rob don't lock this thread then I'd like to reply to the posts on science but alas unfortunately at the moment I don't have the time.:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What difficult questions? All you do is tell everyone they're fundies, refuse to engage in any meaningful discussion, throw around more ad hominems, complain that you're being persecuted because nobody agrees with you

But - and let us make this perfectly clear - we are the ones who behave as if we were religious. :rolleyes:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    But - and let us make this perfectly clear - we are the ones who behave as if we were religious. :rolleyes:

Having a religion & not being atheist, and being told by some individual I'm atheistic to the point of being religious is extremely amusing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Malpaisian, you are what is known in the trade as a "time-sink".

If your next post doesn't contain something like a response to the valid points many people have made, then it will be your last in this thread.

Your continued assertions and selective quoting are now just tiresome.

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Having a religion & not being atheist, and being told by some individual I'm atheistic to the point of being religious is extremely amusing

But you are also atheist :p. Don't deny it blue you're one of us now : Assimilation complete!

**Please insert Borg image here**

• Advertisement

I duno, I'm holding out hope that Kali is out there :cool:

I think the more I read from religious people the more headed toward atheist I get :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Jernal wrote: »
    **Please insert Borg image here**

bjork-and-a-polar-bear.jpg

Am I doing it wrong?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sarky wrote: »

Am I doing it wrong?

Yes. :rolleyes:

It's 471px-Bj%C3%B6rn_Borg2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Odin dammit, Bannasidhe beat me to it!

Omg I love you guys. Wasn't expecting those Borg pics. Made my day.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

So you and those who agree with you are the holders of infinte wisdom and absolute truth.

I wouldn't call my knowledge infinite nor absolute. But it is relatively easy to assess that I understand science better than you. If you genuinely are interested in discussion, exchange of ideas and perhaps even learning something, then listening to those who know more about a subject than you do (and who are patient enough to be willing to explaining it to you rather than simply dismissing you as you seem to dismiss others) would seem the wise course of action.
    You are truly deluded if you think you have "corrected" anything I've said.

I can point out what I corrected again for you if you like.

Of course to learn anything from that you have to be willing to accept that you might have made a mistake or error. I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it, but at the very least you should be able to independently research what we have told you. That would of course require that you accept that what you said might not have been "absolute truth".

Again you make odd statements accusing us of the arrogance of thinking we are completely right while at the same time dismissing any errors in your statements as delusions on our part, rather than mistakes on yours even when posters are more than happy to explain the errors in detail. If there is a lack of interest it seems to be on your part rather than ours, yet you claim we are dismissing you.
    "corrected"! Even your language is dogmatic. Dogma, another characteristic of fundamenalist religion.

I'm not sure you understand what dogmatic means. It means adhering strictly to a set of doctrine. Correcting errors and mistakes you have made in your posts is simply correcting errors and mistakes in your posts.
    If you say so. I bow to your higher wisdom,

But let's recap.

When I started this thread, I asked the question - "Is Atheism a religion?"

Well through the ensuing pages of responses people have displayed:

*Blind faith
    *Arrogance
    *A desire to jump to simple and convenient conclusions ( Malpaisian must be religious)
    *A desire to silence or ostracize those who question the prescribed wisdom
    *A desire to believe that everything is just as they are told it is by authority
    *Possession of the absolute truth
    *Dogma
    *Groupthink

These are all classic charachteristics of religion and the religious. So I'll leave you with this question:

Is atheism a religion?

Over and out

Malpaisian (an agnostic who dislikes religions)

So rather than engage you simply restate your original rhetorical question and leave the discussion, while at the same time complaining that we are dogmatic and adhering to group think. Again all rather odd, demonstrating to me that you never had any real interest in a discussion but rather thought you had some how found a "got'cha" for us atheists.

I think after 22 pages, countless posts from a range of posters, if you defensively throw your toys out of the pram and leave holding exactly the same view that you started with then perhaps it is not us who are adhering to a preconceived established view point, but rather yourself.

But of course only you can answer that question.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^
    What an excellent summation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Malpaisian 1 Militant atheists 0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Leinster 12 Ulster 72

We can all make up scores if we don't watch the match.

And there right there in that very statement is everything that is wrong with some people who come on this board. If your aim is to 'win' then go out and enter formal debates, don't bother wasting your time here where the aim is to communicate and discuss stuff. It's not about winning; it's about understanding.

(Unless of course you were referring to the score in possible troll match-ups?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Thanks for taking roll-call :P:pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Gbear wrote: »
    Leinster 12 Ulster 72

I was at that match. Born in NI but lived in Dublin for 8 years. Was somewhat conflicted.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

MrPudding wrote: »
    Gbear wrote: »
    Leinster 12 Ulster 72

I was at that match. Born in NI but lived in Dublin for 8 years. Was somewhat conflicted.

MrP
    Fret not for its not even a real sport.

*heads back to man United thread *

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

So now not only is atheism a religion, but peer review is meaningless? Why is it that people come up with the most imaginative bull**** only for things they actively try not to understand? Do you actually understand what "peer review" means? What it entails? Do you have a picture of someone having their mates down the pub look at their research or something? Try looking up what it means.

"Peer review is a process of self-regulation by a profession or a process of evaluation involving qualified individuals within the relevant field."

Maybe its you who does not understand ? I DID NOT mention mates down the pub or any such scenario ....YOU DID !
    I believe I drew the analogy of a group of Clergy all reading and agreeing a particular Doctrine.They are all well read Intelligent men who have a firm grasp of the subject matter in hand .They may not all have the same view point but they will work to come to a consensus which will work for them and their paymasters (the church) and then they pass this dogma on to the unquestioning public,who will accept it (more or less) the Peer review process works in the same way producing the similar Scientific dogma for similar reasons.. If the peer review process has any more validity than this then please point out how and don't resort to more childish nonsense.
    And Don't bother with the "Oh it's Scientific" line I am sure other religions have their catch-all Phrases such as "It's the word of God " and such ..

The rest of your reply to my post was undeserving of a response ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

DuPLeX wrote: »
    "Peer review is a process of self-regulation by a profession or a process of evaluation involving qualified individuals within the relevant field."

Maybe its you who does not understand ? I DID NOT mention mates down the pub or any such scenario ....YOU DID !
    I believe I drew the analogy of a group of Clergy all reading and agreeing a particular Doctrine.They are all well read Intelligent men who have a firm grasp of the subject matter in hand .They may not all have the same view point but they will work to come to a consensus which will work for them and their paymasters (the church) and then they pass this dogma on to the unquestioning public,who will accept it (more or less) the Peer review process works in the same way producing the similar Scientific dogma for similar reasons.. If the peer review process has any more validity than this then please point out how and don't resort to more childish nonsense.
    And Don't bother with the "Oh it's Scientific" line I am sure other religions have their catch-all Phrases such as "It's the word of God " and such ..

Aaammm because science actually works? Maybe? Builds computers etc? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

A bunch of cardinals would not however be trying to disprove any hypothesis though. "Jesus is great, move on and now how do we do the HR bit?" That's not peer review or anything like it.

Aaammm because science actually works? Maybe? Builds computers etc? No?
    Ok I'm gonna be clear here . for you.. Science didn't Build computers any more than God built the Cistene chapel , People did ! ...An if you are suggesting that because we have Computers of Iphones that we should believe unquestioningly every line of dogma handed down by Science or some Guy in a lab coat . Then Congratulations! You are Religious.. :)

smokingman wrote: »
    A bunch of cardinals would not however be trying to disprove any hypothesis though. "Jesus is great, move on and now how do we do the HR bit?" That's not peer review or anything like it.

You believe that a peer review process is about trying to disprove a hypothesis ? you have much faith ....
    "Science is great , everyone should believe !" Now how can we make some money out of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

You believe that a peer review process is about trying to disprove a hypothesis ? you have much faith ....
    "Science is great , everyone should believe !" Now how can we make some money out of this ?

You really don't have any idea what peer review is, do you?

• Advertisement

smokingman wrote: »
    You really don't have any idea what peer review is, do you?
    Yes I do! and that is why I don't confer on it the level of infallibility that you seem to ...
    But if you have some information which you feel you should share on the peer review process and what makes it so infallible and incorruptible . then feel free .
    But condescending comments like "you really don't have any idea do you ?"
    designed to make you feel clever (supposedly at my expense) just wont cut it with me.
    so give it some thought ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement