Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism a religion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mooliki

I'm sorry, I don't understand a thing anyone has said. But then being an Adictionarist, I don't follow the dogmatic mythology set down by the Dictionary you all seemingly worship in your use of Language.

...this thread is surely some form of atheistic purgatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

mooliki wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I don't understand a thing anyone has said. But then being an Adictionarist, I don't follow the dogmatic mythology set down by the Dictionary you all seemingly worship in your use of Language.

...this thread is surely some form of atheistic purgatory.

The name we give it is in the tags ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

Gbear wrote: »
    Calling myself those things is a label but so is "male", "white", "tall", "irish". I can't escape from those labels and trying to do so would be childish.
    all those things are out of your control yes they are not labels they are (presumably) physical facts which you cant escape and may be used to define you. But they differ from label Like Atheism in so far as any "ism" is matching and fitting your beliefs to those of the given group ((Groupthink)) . The belief that you can't escape from labels is your opinion and insisting on applying them to yourself is your right .
    But is in my opinion a product of the herd mentality.
    I choose not to have those labels applied to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

DuPLeX wrote: »
    all those things are out of your control yes they are not labels they are (presumably) physical facts which you cant escape and may be used to define you. But they differ from label Like Atheism in so far as any "ism" is matching and fitting your beliefs to those of the given group ((Groupthink)) . The belief that you can't escape from labels is your opinion and insisting on applying them to yourself is your right .
    Whatever you say DuPLeX.

Christ there is some amount of stupidity displayed in this thread.

Whatever you say DuPLeX.

Christ there is some amount of stupidity displayed in this thread.

again with the personal attacks .. my point is beginning to prove itself over and over . ...
    My work here is nearly done .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

again with the personal attacks .. my point is beginning to prove itself over and over . ...
    My work here is nearly done .
    What point is that? I think I missed it.

What point is that? I think I missed it.

Yes I think you did ......:rolleyes:

You can't choose what you believe. It's like the fallacy of Pascal's wager where you pretend to believe in God just so on the off chance that he does exist, he won't make you burn in Hell(as if he couldn't see through your charade).

You either believe it or you don't. Being an atheist is no more a choice than being tall or any of the other adjectives I've mentioned.

That isn't an opinion and it isn't up for debate. Continuing to bury your head in the sand about it, doing semantic gymnastics around it and trying to maintain your sense of superiority won't change that.

You either believe it or you don't. Being an atheist is no more a choice than being tall or any of the other adjectives I've mentioned.
    Nonsense
    That isn't an opinion and it isn't up for debate.
    Dogma !
    Continuing to bury your head in the sand about it, doing semantic gymnastics around it and trying to maintain your sense of superiority won't change that.
    Pabulum!
    If I wanted to feel superior I'd just Chime in with the Atheists Sneering at the Christians Or the Hindus sneering at the Sikhs .... or ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I think you DO want to feel superior. I think you want it really badly. So badly that you'll try and put other people down just so you can pretend you're a little higher. That you'll ignore facts and reality in the hopes that they'll go away and stop making you feel so small. So badly that you'll whine, and yell, and repeat the same old nonsense over and over again as if that will be enough to make it true. So badly that you'll stamp your foot, throw your toys out of your pram and declare yourself persecuted when you realise how wrong you are.

I could be wrong, of course. But you'll have to show me some evidence that I am. And I don't think you can do that.

• Advertisement

Nonsense

So you can choose what you believe?

You can fool yourself. You can do mental gymnastics to avoid facing home truths, but you can't truly choose to believe something.

The other possibility is that you're still debating what the word "atheist" means and at this stage it doesn't even matter what a dictionary says because we've quite clearly outlined what we mean when we say it, as is often required for words in debates, and that definition (incidentally, the actual definition) conforms with what I said.
    Dogma !

Dublin is the capital of the Republic of Ireland.

Oh ****. There I go again with my facts dogma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

again with the personal attacks ..

http://www.atheist.ie/ - Promoting atheism, reason, and an ethical, secular state

You need to get with the programme buddy

Opticom wrote: »
    http://www.atheist.ie/ - Promoting atheism, reason, and an ethical, secular state

Again, that doesn't make it a religion and not every atheist is a member of Atheist Ireland.

In fact nearly no athiests are members of Atheist Ireland.

That includes all the religious atheists in Japan who practice Shinto - a religion based on non-theistic spirituality.

Again, that doesn't make it a religion and not every atheist is a member of Atheist Ireland.

In fact nearly no athiests are members of Atheist Ireland.

That includes all the religious atheists in Japan who practice Shinto - a religion based on non-theistic spirituality.

Atheism IS NOT a religion and you do not have to paid up member Atheist Ireland to be an Atheist and share its ideals, and you forgot Buddhism which is also a religion / philosophy that can be based on non-theistic spirituality.

Atheism IS NOT a religion and you do not have to pay to be a member of Atheist Ireland to be an Atheist and agree with its ideals.

Ok. I thought you were suggesting that because there's an organisation that promotes atheism that would make it a religion.

You're shocked at the suggestion I know but we've already seen such fallacious reasoning in this very thread!:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ok. I thought you were suggesting that because there's an organisation that promotes atheism that would make it a religion.

You're shocked at the suggestion I know but we've already seen such fallacious reasoning in this very thread!:eek:

Being generous there Gbear to call some of the stuff we've seen here 'reasoning' of any kind :p.

You're shocked at the suggestion I know but we've already seen such fallacious bullsh*t vortices in this very thread!:eek:

Fixed my post.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Being generous there Gbear to call some of the stuff we've seen here 'reasoning' of any kind :p.
    Quite true! thinly veiled religious dogma, most of it :P :P :P

You don't like to have your religion challenged I get it . But the name-calling. that is just laughable ..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You don't like to have your religion challenged I get it . But the name-calling. that is just laughable ..

Did someone call you a troll then?

It is my opinion that you are a troll.
    A troll on a mission.
    A troll who is pursuing their goal with a religious zeal.

• Advertisement

Wow ! What did I say about Group-think ? you may just as well have quoted me chapter and verse .you are so funny .

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Did someone call you a troll then?

It is my opinion that you are a troll.
    A troll on a mission.
    A troll who is pursuing their goal with a religious zeal.

Troll, is that a word for someone who doesn't share your opinion?. I thought this thread was called Atheism is a religion ? Discuss .
    Discuss must mean follow the herd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

'Challenged'? Is that what you did there?

endacl wrote: »

Yes. what did you just do there ?

Yes. what did you just do there ?
    Wondered whether you were referring to a previously delivered challenge, or some brainfart still in the pipeline....

Wondered whether you were referring to a previously delivered challenge, or some brainfart still in the pipeline....
    Brainfart ? Is that the bovine catch-all term for concepts not yet accepted or understood by the herd ?

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_l2c87yJoYt1qa4uc1o1_500_0.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

Wow ! What did I say about Group-think ? you may just as well have quoted me chapter and verse .you are so funny .

It's not group think, it's just rational and only based on what can only be proven scientifically, if you don't like Atheist.ie here's another link : http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/atheism/

Brainfart ? Is that the bovine catch-all term for concepts not yet accepted or understood by the herd ?
    Nope. The ones that have been examined and discarded. Keep 'em coming all the same.

If you're casting herd mentality accusations about you might want to consider changing the avatar, by the way....

• Advertisement

It's not group think, it's just rational and only based on what can only be proven scientifically, if you don't like Atheist.ie here's another link : http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/atheism/

LOL

I remember once a Christian,telling me that he could prove that God exists and that the proof was written in the bible.
    Even the craziest cults seem rational to those who are indoctrinated into them. in fact they don't even see them as crazy cults at all.To them it all seems perfectly logical ........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement