Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Saorview receiver ($7.40 delivered)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭costin

Lads in order to get a signal boost stick the antenna on the radiator (has a magnet so it won't fall).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Another option perhaps?
    http://www.sunsky-online.com/product/default!view.do?subject.id=7232

The ones like in the OP have that mini aerial adapter thing which can be quite flimsy/loose at times.

The one above is a straight plug in adapter.

Mind you, what are sunsky like as a company/seller? :P

Getting back to the Op, she shows up as

Winfast DTV Dongle Gold BDA in Windows 7 and Xp SP3 for me.

For the latter here is the driver you need
    http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/QBCO0J3N/DriversForYou.zip_links

Extract all files, plug in the dongle and follow this manual driver install guide
    http://www.hyundaiit.com/images/download/Monitor_Driver_Setup_en.pdf

Point the HAVE Disk search towards AF15BDA.inf inside my driver folder and click OK. Should ask you to restart your PC and voila, your dongle is ready to roll.

Btw, have the dongle working perfectly using this indoor aerial (currently avilable in Lidl)
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/indoor-aerial-dvb-t/341824

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cranium

Hi Mutunas,

Any joy locating a Win 7 32 bit driver ?
    I could use a Win 7 32-bit AMD driver if anyone has found the like anywhere.
    I found what is apparently 64-bit AMD Win 7 on MS's web site but no good it refused to install, then I realised the laptop was 32-bit.

thanks,

Cranium
    mutunas wrote: »
    does anyone get it work on windows 7 32 bit?
    it works ok with the driver 11.10 on win7 64bit but can't find any drivers for win7 32bit.

any help?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭WHL

Just to say a big thank you to rockn and slikvik. I bought two of these a few weeks ago but only installed in the last few days. I had the driver issues on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop. I read back through the thread and installed rockn's driver with slikvik's instructions and it is working now.

Just as a follow on, I nearly have line-of-sight on the Collins Barrack's transmitter and I am probably about 5-6 miles from it. I have to be careful where I locate the antenna indoors. If people have correctly installed the drivers and are finding nothing on the scan it is probably antenna related. If you are mobile with a laptop maybe get up high and closer to your transmitter and see if it makes a difference. At least it will identify the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

32 bit drivers here:

Quick update on sunsky.
    Ordered and purchased the wandtv stick. Delivered in 9 days.
    Installed and working great for ''Saorview''

Still waiting for buyincoins, although I guess I did purchase 4 other things so maybe that's why it is taking longer. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Lads if someone gets this to work for me i'll be eternally grateful.
    I've done everything in this thread- got the driver that Rockn posted and followed the steps 1 through 4 posted above.
    I'm using Windows 7 (64 bit).
    Same thing every time.: It seems to recognise the device, scans for about 5-10 mins, then says no channels found. :mad:
    I've attached the antenna to radiators, biscuit tins etc.
    No luck. :mad:

Help, please. :pac:

I've done everything in this thread - got the driver that Rockn posted and followed the steps 1 through 4 posted above.

Same thing every time.: It seems to recognize the device, scans for about 5-10 mins, then says no channels found. :mad:

You mean the little antenna that came with it?

You could be in a bad signal area that requires something more substantial.
    Would you have a roof aerial, or some rabbit ears to double check things. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Learn to understand the difference bewteen Vertical and Horizontal signals and check your transmitter off the list below.

Half of all aerials work best on 'their sides' , eg Collins in Cork and Tonabrocky in Galway are Vertical but 3Rock and Woodcock are horizontal! This one is Horizontal and the tip should point at the transmitter while the flat panels are for the back. That is not an indoor, I know. :D

http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

Rabbit ears are VHF, probably won't work. They would for RTE (not TG4) on analogue.

Get something more directional like a Loop aerial or this Lava model below where the double loop is shown vertical and the mesh should be on the far side away from the transmitter.

IMG_0616.jpg

Finally you may find a building bounces the signal strongly, eg an office block with 'metallic' coated windows.

Read this if you need more.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1037779

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Learn to understand the difference bewteen Vertical and Horizontal signals and check your transmitter off the list below.

Half of all aerials work best on 'their sides' , eg Collins in Cork and Tonabrocky in Galway are Vertical but 3Rock and Woodcock are horizontal! This one is Horizontal and the tip should point at the transmitter while the flat panels are for the back. That is not an indoor, I know. :D

http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

Rabbit ears are VHF, probably won't work. They would for RTE (not TG4) on analogue.

Get something more directional like a Loop aerial or this Lava model below where the double loop is shown vertical and the mesh should be on the far side away from the transmitter.

IMG_0616.jpg

Finally you may find a building bounces the signal strongly, eg an office block with 'metallic' coated windows.

Read this if you need more.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1037779

Thanks.
    Couple of questions.
    1. Does the antenna need a clear line of sight to the transmitter.
    2. How would you go about attaching this particular antenna to a bigger aerial (the antenna screws off but there's no obvious way of attaching a bigger aerial to it that i can see). Or is there some way you attach a bigger aerial to the actual DVB-T receiver itself.
    3. Also, is there more chance of picking something up sticking the antenna to metal (biscuit tin, radiator etc).

Apologies if these seem dumb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Put the antenna inside a biscuit tin perhaps with the mouth open facing transmitter. See link at bottom or my post and read.

The sticks come with an MCX Connector so you need this below to connect to an aerial or the smaller MMCX connector, read the spec and see which.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RF-Coaxial-MCX-TV-Antenna-Cable-Adaptor-DVB-T-DVBT-/180550379298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a09a42722

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mutunas

Rockn wrote: »
    32 bit drivers here:

thanks mate. this did the job :):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mutunas

I've done everything in this thread- got the driver that Rockn posted and followed the steps 1 through 4 posted above.
    Same thing every time.: It seems to recognise the device, scans for about 5-10 mins, then says no channels found. :mad:

when tried to install it in my home pc (win7 64bit), had the same issue: recognised ok and then scanning channels very slowly.
    this is an indication of bad drivers.
    I downloaded and installed rockn's drivers, installed them manually through control panel and then everything ok.

if you have problem with antenna signal, why don't try to search the channels with an external antenna (use it only for the first scanning), and after scanning is done, try to see if you can use these indoor antennas?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Getting the “USB 2.0 Digital DVB-T HDTV TV Tuner Recorder & Receiver” working.
    It looks like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170615508474&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

When you plug in the USB into Windows 7 64bit it installs a winfast driver. You need to remove this driver if it was installed. Ignore the CD.

Then use the zip file in this tread in the attached zip and run the exe.

After that when you plug in the USB stick you will see in the device manager in the section ‘sound, video and game controllers’ a driver called 'IT9135 BDA Device'. In this section you should not see the winfast driver. Note this will only appear with the USB plugged in.

When you unplug the USB the list in the device manager will refresh and the driver will not show. This was an indication for me that the device was doing something.

I then downloaded PROG DVB 6 which is a free app for tuning in tv cards. It can be found here http://www.progdvb.com/download_progdvb.html.

When I scanned I got nothing. However I did see the blue led flash quickly now and then. This means that its finding a single but its poor quality.

If you get this far and the whole scan is quick, a few minutes and plugging different arials in shows a blue led now and again. Its all good you just need bigger arial.

Thanks to all for your help.

- ps. VLC works as well but is harder to setup as you have to figure our your frequence and down the country line of sight etc. is a hurdle. Windows media centre is blocked on my work laptop :-(.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭styron

mrhappy42 wrote: »
    - ps. VLC works as well but is harder to setup as you have to figure our your frequence and down the country line of sight etc. is a hurdle. Windows media centre is blocked on my work laptop :-(.

The transmitter frequency listings are here (eg. Three Rock = 738000 KHz):

http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/dtt-muxes#mapping

Plug in the USB DVB-T card
    VLC Menu: Media -> Open Capture Device (or Ctrl+C)
    From Capture Mode select TV Digital in the drop down list
    Ensure the DVB-T radio button is selected (latest version defaults to it)
    Enter the appropriate Transponder/Mux Frequency and click Play
    From the Menu Playback -> Program should give you (hopefully) the full list of TV and DAB Radio stations if your aerial arrangement is kosher.

*A cheap USB extension lead gives a little extra flexibility for positioning the aerial setup and/or easy switching of the card between different systems.

*When not in use unplug the card - it can get quite warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 SP534

Can someone tell me, is this a dual or single tuner device? That is, can I record from 3e while I watch RTÉ Two etc? Or am I limited to one or the other?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

SP534 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me, is this a dual or single tuner device? That is, can I record from 3e while I watch RTÉ Two etc? Or am I limited to one or the other?

Lol, at this price?
    Its a cheap single tuner......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

SP534 wrote: »

Single tuner .

You can watch or record all the channels (17) on the one mux if you have the correct software and the PC is good enough.

As it is single tuner you will only be able to tune in one mux at the time.

Most software will only allow you to see one channel .... but that is a limitation of the software, not the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Hi

If I want to connect the usb adapter to an external tv aerial, is there a special adapter required to connect the cable of the aerial to the usb adapter as the socket on the usb adapter seems a little smaller than that required for a normal aerial.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an adapter?

Many thanks

• Advertisement

Hi

If I want to connect the usb adapter to an external tv aerial, is there a special adapter required to connect the cable of the aerial to the usb adapter as the socket on the usb adapter seems a little smaller than that required for a normal aerial.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an adapter?

Many thanks
    You need one of these
    http://www.scanstation.co.uk/computers-c35/accessories-c223/rf-to-mcx-antenna-cable-adapter-for-usb-tv-dvb-t-tuner-p1640
    or these
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/428030378/RF_connector_Coaxial_connector_MCX_connector.html

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Any of these devices work on a mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

breathn wrote: »
    Any of these devices work on a mac?

I have seen one mentioned as working on a MAC ...... don't recall which one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rockn wrote: »
    @slikvik That's strange. My driver is signed. Seems to the same one, file size and everything.
    it9135.jpg

I'll attach it here.
    Rockn you legend, finally got this working with your driver, this was about my 20th attempt with every driver going but it finally worked so thanks a million, this is a big plus for me when Im out in the middle of nowhere in South Galway every weekend.

Just tried it there with the tiny aerial that comes with it and its as perfect as the first time I got it working with the adapter and the roof aerial so in my opinion because of the weak signal area I'm in, anyone who cant get it working with the small magnetic aerial is having driver issues not reception problems.

BlazeTV is a piece of crap and I couldn't get it working in VLC player either but Windows Media Centre is absolutely perfect, recording/pause/rewind/tv guide/all Saorview channels all working fine, this is in Windows 7 64 bit.

Cant believe how well its working now, this was around my 20th attempt and your driver (IT9135 BDA device in Device Manager) was the first and only time Id ever seen a blue light or any light on the device. One thing I will say is that this is that it only works after a reboot after installing the driver.

Anyway all working now so thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

styron wrote: »
    The transmitter frequency listings are here (eg. Three Rock = 738000 KHz):

http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/dtt-muxes#mapping

Plug in the USB DVB-T card
    VLC Menu: Media -> Open Capture Device (or Ctrl+C)
    From Capture Mode select TV Digital in the drop down list
    Ensure the DVB-T radio button is selected (latest version defaults to it)
    Enter the appropriate Transponder/Mux Frequency and click Play
    From the Menu Playback -> Program should give you (hopefully) the full list of TV and DAB Radio stations if your aerial arrangement is kosher.

*A cheap USB extension lead gives a little extra flexibility for positioning the aerial setup and/or easy switching of the card between different systems.

*When not in use unplug the card - it can get quite warm.

**Edit** I was wrong i had the last version and installed the new one over it by check for updates but that didnt install properly initially** Working grand now thanks!

This option isnt listed for me?. Ive downloaded the latest version of VLC too. Any ideas?.

293fzeo.jpg

2 questions, any help appreciated please:

1. Has anyone got the remote control working yet?

2. Has anyone got any decent alternative software for it? VLC is a pain in the ass because you have to put in the frequency and scan every time, also no guide and changing channels is a pain having to open the dropdown menu. Windows Media Centre is also really annoying, the buttons for changing channel disappear if you shrink the window size down.

Thanks.

2. Has anyone got any decent alternative software for it? VLC is a pain in the ass because you have to put in the frequency and scan every time, also no guide and changing channels is a pain having to open the dropdown menu. Windows Media Centre is also really annoying, the buttons for changing channel disappear if you shrink the window size down.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Thargor wrote: »

Thanks.

Windows Media Centre working perfectly for me in full size and minimized windows and on an Xbox as an extender
    Its actually a joy to use in WMC I find

Advertisement