Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah but can you even do anything with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Jack burton

ok I thought there was a lot of sarcasm going on here but thats some price!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Yeah you can still browse the Internet with it and connect to servers on Quake 3.

There are also ways to convince PSOv2 to connect to private servers. Was playing them both last night and it brought back alot of memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Retr0gamer wrote: »

The network play on the DCs Phantasy Star games was restored because of fan efforts though there are several communities running servers with different rules. Some leave the economy broken and exploitable and others are very white hat boy scout about it all.

Not all games that originally had online content are restored to "just like back in the day" but there are some that were exclusive to DC that I'd love to play.

That said, there are some complicated workarounds using the provided modem, to achieve the same thing, but the prices of buying a particular dial tone generator that is proven to work, and was only sold in the states.

Additionally I read PAL region DCs were supplied with 33k modems instead of everywhere else's 56k.* Which I don't know for fact, and even if true may not affect real world performance, originally. If true though it may scupper my attempts at a work around.

* The specifics of this are contradicted in several places, including in an uncited line on the Wikipedia article, but the long and short of it is I don't know how to test or tell with certainty if I've a 33k/33.6k modem or a 56k modem, nor can I tell if this would affect performance without buying myself a rather expensive experiment. The DC BBAs are well overpriced but on the off-chance one can be found cheaper than the silly market rate they're desirable.

TL;DR I want one, I am possibly a crazy person, these may be connected. :pac:

You're right about us getting 33.3k modems and Japan / USA getting full 56k modems.

I remember there being alot of debate about this back in the day and alot of people bitching that people would have an advantage over the Europeans when playing the likes of Quake 3 etc.

There was also some talk about this in Official Dreamcast Magazine at one point if I remember correctly. The next time I'm up in my Mother's house I must leaf through my collection of mags to see if I can pull something for ya.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    You're right about us getting 33.3k modems and Japan / USA getting full 56k modems.

I remember there being alot of debate about this back in the day and alot of people bitching that people would have an advantage over the Europeans when playing the likes of Quake 3 etc.

There was also some talk about this in Official Dreamcast Magazine at one point if I remember correctly. The next time I'm up in my Mother's house I must leaf through my collection of mags to see if I can pull something for ya.

Thanks, but thats not necessary.

Claimed dial up/modem/broadband speeds and actual speeds have never had any meaningful connection with each other, since its only one variable in overall network speed. I'm no network engineer but I know other stuff matters too, and its outside my control.

Besides, if I start caring I'll have to quit taking the p*ss out of the fighting game obsessives who argue about the delay between their wireless pad and their console affecting their win/loss stats or the FPS obsessives bitching about lag when really its all PEBKAC.

Compared to other expensive retrogaming dodads the DC modem isn't that high up my list, but it is the sort of thing I keep an eye out for to see if I can get one for a pauperly sum.

I carry a severed Cat 5 connector on a keyring in case I come across a Dreamcast in a car boot sale or second hand shop. If it fits its poker face time. :cool:

"How much for this ole console? What do you mean I can't test it, sure how do I know its workin' then? Does it even have all the wires? Where's the one that plugs into this then?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'm actually on the look out for 1 or 2 bband adapters for the DC right now.
    Very pricey little items they are all right but I think now is the time to get one before the become ultra rare and ultra expensive.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Very pricey little items they are all right but I think now is the time to get one before the become ultra rare and ultra expensive.

One bundled with a rare enough Dreamcast itself for a reasonable enough price right now considering that the BBA itself usually goes for more than this.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sega-Dreamcast-RARE-Dream-Direct-Black-version-COMPLETE-w-BBA-extras-/221020418649?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item3375d7f259

You could sell on the Dreamcast itself and make a nice profit.

Steve SI wrote: »

I'll let you know if I see any. If they're not going really cheap then I'm not interested anyways. It'd be money I'd rather spend after getting console mods, and that Kickstarter for the limited DC run ate my retrogaming budget for a few weeks so you'd be more than welcome to have 'em...

... for now :pac:

Achilles wrote: »
    One bundled with a rare enough Dreamcast itself for a reasonable enough price right now considering that the BBA itself usually goes for more than this.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sega-Dreamcast-RARE-Dream-Direct-Black-version-COMPLETE-w-BBA-extras-/221020418649?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item3375d7f259

You could sell on the Dreamcast itself and make a nice profit.

Didn't bid on that myself but I was watching. The bids in the last few seconds was something else. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I, shamefully, have never owned or played Shenmue. It's something I've been meaning to rectify for years. So today I picked up a copy of Shenmue 2 for the Xbox in the RAGE, complete with the slightly ominous looking 'Shenmue: The Movie' DVD (something feels off about a 'movie' that's just clips from a videogame). Still haven't played the first, but I consider it a partial resolution to one of my deep-rooted gaming embarrassments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I think it's worth playing the first one beforehand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The DC BB adapter is the only way to properly take content from a GD-ROM afaik. I think you can back up your own collection perfectly this way, without relying on dodgy cut/stripped uploaded versions.

EnterNow wrote: »
    The DC BB adapter is the only way to properly take content from a GD-ROM afaik. I think you can back up your own collection perfectly this way, without relying on dodgy cut/stripped uploaded versions.

I didn't know that. I suppose that'd be another reason for driving up demand.

a5y wrote: »
    I didn't know that. I suppose that'd be another reason for driving up demand.

What I know of it may be well outdated, but thats how DC games used to be ripped. There's pc-side software that can take the contents of the DC disc, through the DC & its BB adapter. The process could also last hours from what I know of it.

What I know of it may be well outdated, but thats how DC games used to be ripped. There's pc-side software that can take the contents of the DC disc, through the DC & its BB adapter. The process could also last hours from what I know of it.

Yes you can do it that way all right. You can also use the SD card adapter to do the same but the speed is very slow on that link it connects to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I, shamefully, have never owned or played Shenmue. It's something I've been meaning to rectify for years. So today I picked up a copy of Shenmue 2 for the Xbox in the RAGE, complete with the slightly ominous looking 'Shenmue: The Movie' DVD (something feels off about a 'movie' that's just clips from a videogame). Still haven't played the first, but I consider it a partial resolution to one of my deep-rooted gaming embarrassments.

it's defintely one investment you won't regret, one thing I'd say is not to rush through it. You could get through it in 15-20 hours, but there's easily 30-40 hours of gameplay there.

Had these printed up for me last week by an ebay seller. He forgot to do it the way I asked so is sending a reprint to me. Still, thought I'd share anyway(All in A3 size).
    DoDonPachi came out the best I think.

dsc1410mk.jpg

Wider view to give an idea of size.
    dsc1411u.jpg

You can back up the GD-Roms via BBA but I don't really see the point when you can't exactly burn a 1:1 copy.

...maybe for playing it in an emulator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got that 42 Classic Games cart for the DS for a tenner, sealed, today, a minor thing but a lovely if utilitarian little game collection.
    All I need is a leather bound DSi XL, a pipe, smoking jacket and a glass of brandy and I'm all set!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Got a Sega Mega Drive 1, with Sonic and Theme Park from retrogames.co.uk (It came to £65-66, which is a bit steep which mainly was due to shipping which was £20+ )
    Got Super Mario Bros. for NES off ebay, cost about €10.
    Still waiting on a NES from an ebay seller Geraldjekk(which is annoying me as I paid for it on the 9th and I haven't heard anything back. Even messaged the seller yesterday to see if/when they posted it, as it's coming by courier so someone will be there to receive it... Grr :/ )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Akai Katana arrived today, along with this bad boy.

3TPHX.jpg?2

Grasshopper Manufacture's unusual and unpronounceable (in English) Evangelion rhythm game. Special edition comes with the soundtrack.

I'm liking it so far, especially the fact that you can unlock high res images of Evangelion bento. Geek out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Evangelion is overrated.

Trolololololol

Your trolling powers do not work on me, he-devil! Back under the bridge from whence thou came!

Rhythm games? Thanks but I'll stick with postman pat

trying to troll John Ultimate after his GnR slur...failing...

Rhythm games? Thanks but I'll stick with postman pat

?

Whatever floats your boat, bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got Star Wars for the 32X today, box is fairly wrecked but was cheap.

?

Whatever floats your boat, bro.

Haha, select all of the text in my post...consider yourself trolled my good man. Didn't think I'd even provoke a response outta ya it was such a feeble attempt :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Arrived today:

ijffZSDZ4dwTw.JPG
    ibvacg3Z9GPVjj.JPG
    iCr2g5Ifzrsos.JPG

• Advertisement

Akai Katana arrived today, along with this bad boy.

3TPHX.jpg?2

Grasshopper Manufacture's unusual and unpronounceable (in English) Evangelion rhythm game. Special edition comes with the soundtrack.

I'm liking it so far, especially the fact that you can unlock high res images of Evangelion bento. Geek out!

Evangelion has depths to its writing like nothing else. I'll always remember that line Rei has:

"I am not a doll."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement