Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked for Facebook login in interview

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

In my OH's previous job HR asked his entire team for details of their facebook accounts, not logins, just the url.

My OH doesn't have a facebook account, HR practically launched an investigation to prove that he was lying because 'Everyone has a Facebook account.' Which is clearly bollocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Pdfile wrote: »
    you do realise that 98 % of people spend 99 % of their time finding reasons not to like you right ?? ( or the public in general )

I won't (nor did previously) lose sleep over it.

I'm already personally hated by bad politicians, bad borough council members, the Scientology cult in Dublin and Clearwater (Florida), and a number of companies I have brought attention upon for their lies and false advertising.
    (Just to mention a few...)
    I still am able to sleep at night! :cool:

If a company wants to hire me because I don't stand for any crap and try to get honesty where it should be in the first place, fair enough - and they should see those aspects.
    ...If they don't - their loss more so!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I'd just say the truth I'm one of the 6 out of 7 people in the world that does not have a Facebook account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I remember a time people had a private life, their home life was sacred. Along came the internet and people's propensity for wanting to share every stupid detail of their boring, copy book life is sent out there for anyone to view and know.

Some of the things I have heard about members of my own family posting on Facebook and Twitter confirms to everyone else what I already knew, they are morons.

I was recently asked at an interview "what kitchen utensil I am". My sexual kinks are my business. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

subway wrote: »
    ive decided that this story is bull****, if your profile is properly private on facebook it doesnt show up on searches.
    the lad probably doesnt have any mates and is making this up so people will try "add him"

it does show up but it shows no info about you... all you get is the send friend request button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Interviewer: Can I please have your Facebook username and password?
    Interviewee: Username is jme2010.

Interviewer: And the password?
    Interviewee: ......

Interviewee:shiithole

Interviewer: ......

Interviewee:...With a capital "S"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

"I'm afraid I don't have a Facebook account however I can give you access to my RedTube account. Please feel free to critique my videos but I would advise you keep the sound muted. The talk on the videos are so dirty you'll wish you had a cóck in each ear".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I can see where people might see looking at some-ones Facebook profile as invasive but lets face facts and think logically....if you don't people in your private life then don't live it online.

If you have nothing to hid then you have nothing to fear from letting potential employers see your profile.

Less of the self righteousness please and a little more cop on.

And I worry about the amount of people encouraging lies in an interview....you do want the job right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I can see where people might see looking at some-ones Facebook profile as invasive but lets face facts and think logically....if you don't people in your private life then don't live it online.

If you have nothing to hid then you have nothing to fear from letting potential employers see your profile.

And I worry about the amount of people encouraging lies in an interview....you do want the job right?

Well if someone has their profile set to private then they're not exactly living their life online.

I mean if I write a diary on my computer and then share the word document with some people on my local network is that considered living my life online and therefore open to scrutiny by everyone. It's exactly the same concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,466 ✭✭✭✭28064212

All my emails are online, that means I should give a potential employer my email password, right?

I have no problem giving an employer my Facebook URL. If they want to see the stuff I have shared with friends only, they can send a friend request. Which I'll reject, since I only want to share stuff on Facebook with my friends

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This annoys me so much. I'm sure some companies would like you to video yourself when you're at home, or around town, so that they can make sure you're 'not bringing the company into disrepute'. They don't need to know what I'm talking to my friends about, they don't need to know what my highest score on Scrabble is. All they need to know is if I can do the job I've applied for; everything else is irrelevant.

Funny how some people appear to think that the internet is some magical place somewhere where everyone stuff is all up for grabs and if you use the internet you shouldn't expect privacy.

It's just a bunch of networked computers.

Demanding access to someones accounts is no different than asking to tap their phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

I have a friend who wont even interview someone if he cant find them on Facebook.
    He thinks they must have something to hide so he rejects them straight away.

Whats the world coming to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Maybe he set his profile to private because he wanted to keep it, like, I dunno...private?
    Or your phone or private email details. Sure they should be allowed set up a CCTV network in your house, if you're living a decent, respectable life you have nothing to worry about, amirite?

Seriously, why should the particular form of media you use to communicate privately affect your right to privacy?
    Years ago, my aunt lied through her teeth on her CV and in her interview to secure a job in one of the UK's top law firms, in which she is now a partner. You'll have to spin few yarns if you really want the job; I'd warrant the vast majority You just have to box clever and make sure you're not caught out. Maybe this doesn't fit your ideal as to how the world should work, but there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

TPD wrote: »
    I was recently hired into a job in which the CEO had looked up my facebook page (which I'd thought was private) and flicked through my 'Amsterdam' photo album. The album wasn't quite as awful as it could have been though.
    Did you go to the banana bar on OAP night too. I'm permanently scared from that experience
    I think all employers worry about what you do in your own time as it could influence how you carry out your job or whether you show up for work at all
    It's none of their business. Corporations have far to much power. They need us to make and buy their crap but they treat the general public like cattle. Corporations need to be cut down to size they're far to big and influential have have taken the voice away from the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    I have a friend who wont even interview someone if he cant find them on Facebook.

Your friend is pioneering the way forward for the Irish job's market. He should be relieved of his job immediately.

Your friend must not have much to do. I barely have time to read their CV's before interviewing!

...mainly because I'm on boards too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Is your friend qualified to interview people because this reason would imply that he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

I do have something to hide....my social life and my privacy. Neither affects my ability to perform my job, and neither is the business of my employer.

Facebook is a social networking website. It has nothing to do with a persons employability.

Employers need to cop the fcuk on and stay out of someone's personal business. Similarly, employees shouldn't be discussing work on Facebook, no matter if their comments either positive or negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

I read somewhere recently that a study surveyed HR people and found that picures of partying are a positive (unless the person is doing something really out of order) because they show that the person has a social life. Also, they like to see lots of "friends" on facebook.

I'm not on it because I think people mainly using it for "stalking" (in the facebook sense). I don't want every randomer I've ever met to have access to everything I do, not that I'd expect most of them to care. But still, I want to be in charge of the information that I give out.

• Advertisement

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    Employers need to cop the fcuk on and stay out of someone's personal business. Similarly, employees shouldn't be discussing work on Facebook, no matter if their comments either positive or negative.
    Yeah that's what linkedin is for.

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    I do have something to hide....my social life and my privacy. Neither affects my ability to perform my job, and neither is the business of my employer.

Facebook is a social networking website. It has nothing to do with a persons employability.

I agree with your sentiments, but the problem is they don't just want to judge you on your ability to do the job. They want an insight into your personality to guage if you will like the job and stay and also whether you will click with a team, whether you and other employees will get along well and whether it will be a pleasant working environment. I do think asking for facebook login is going to far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I think asking for your facebook is fair enough.

Asking for your password/login details is a joke.

I agree with your sentiments, but the problem is they don't just want to judge you on your ability to do the job. They want an insight into your personality to guage if you will like the job and stay and also whether you will click with a team, whether you and other employees will get along well and whether it will be a pleasant working environment. I do think asking for facebook login is going to far though.
    That's a nonsense excuse to be nosy. They have no legitimate reason for prying into and employees job. If they can do the work that's all they need to know, the person could go home and have some sort of weird peanut butter fetish and it wouldn't make any difference to their ability to do their job.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What if they ask for your boards.ie username?

I've said some pretty stupid and controversial things here in the past.

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's a nonsense excuse to be nosy. They have no legitimate reason for prying into and employees job. If they can do the work that's all they need to know, the person could go home and have some sort of weird peanut butter fetish and it wouldn't make any difference to their ability to do their job.

I'm not sure it's nonsense to want to assess a personality. If you put enough incompatible people in a team, regardless of how good they are at their jobs, somethings got to give, and it might the best employees that you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Reply with "My Facebork account is NSFW."

Feckin' unprofessional approach by the interviewer. I'd report it to his/her Overlord for being an asshat.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Reply with "My Facebork account is NSFW."

Feckin' unprofessional approach by the interviewer. I'd report it to his/her Overlord for being an asshat.

Overlord might well be in on it. I doubt many people do anything that crazy without watching their back. But maybe publicise the incident if the job is a write-off after that point anyway.

I'm not sure it's nonsense to want to assess a personality. If you put enough incompatible people in a team, regardless of how good they are at their jobs, somethings got to give, and it might the best employees that you lose.
    But how is the facebook going to tell them that? When they see him with his arm around friends in drunk pictures are they going to think he's a team player? Are they going to go by maybe some racist joke comment made in the privacy of the potential employees home to his other friends and which was maybe a joke the employer made earlier that day but didn't record it on the internet?

It's a nonsense. If you just so happen to say or do something stupid on facebook it doesn't have any baring on your ability to do a job. If those people can't work well in a group then their training and competence is lacking and that should be obvious from their work and has nothing to do with their stupid facebook pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Well, for a start, it's not just my own private life I'd be concerned about - if I were to give them my log-in details, they would also have access to my the private facebook pages of my family and friends, as well as private emails sent between us! It would be completely wrong for an interviewer or employer to even ask for access, and there's no way I'd give it to them if they did.

Advertisement