Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MissMochaBean

deejam wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have had the same problem with the jars being to big, i made the chilli jam and the kinler jars are only half full.. I made it about two weeks ago and i was kinda thinking would it be too late to attempt it again.. does it need time flavour/settle... it is also runny so i think i'm goin to label it chilli sauce:D

i'm also goin to make mince pies, does anyone no where i could get the little silver trays, i have searched everywhere..!!

I've only ever seen them in Euro shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Hi guys, I have had the same problem with the jars being to big, i made the chilli jam and the kinler jars are only half full.. I made it about two weeks ago and i was kinda thinking would it be too late to attempt it again.. does it need time flavour/settle... it is also runny so i think i'm goin to label it chilli sauce:D

i'm also goin to make mince pies, does anyone no where i could get the little silver trays, i have searched everywhere..!!

You should think about re-jarring the chili jam, if the Kilner's are only half full, you have a lot of air in there which will shorten the shelf life. I used jars from pasta sauce(Aldi/Lidl) that had no writing on the lids, boiled and sterilised and got 4 large jar's full from Eviledna's recipe. bring your chili jam to a boil while the jars are being sterilised and pot immediately. The flavour is better the longer it's left, but its still gorgeous fresh, so if you want to make a new batch I'm sure it will go down just as well!!!

I haven't seen silver trays, but I just make mine in bun trays and devour :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made chilli jam and chocolate biscuit cake this evening. I also made a start on cake balls. Considering how much the ingredients have cost thus far, I doubt I'm going to make much more this year :(. I don't have my mother's well-stocked cupboards to abuse this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 deejam

shinikins wrote: »
    You should think about re-jarring the chili jam, if the Kilner's are only half full, you have a lot of air in there which will shorten the shelf life. I used jars from pasta sauce(Aldi/Lidl) that had no writing on the lids, boiled and sterilised and got 4 large jar's full from Eviledna's recipe. bring your chili jam to a boil while the jars are being sterilised and pot immediately. The flavour is better the longer it's left, but its still gorgeous fresh, so if you want to make a new batch I'm sure it will go down just as well!!!

I haven't seen silver trays, but I just make mine in bun trays and devour :D
    good idea with the bun trays, do you coat the tray with butter so they dont stick..?

Do you think i could just re-jar by steralising new jars and pouring the mixture straight in or would i have to re-boil the jam again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Hi, if anyone is looking for a simple last minute filler for their baskets, I've just made something very easy and very tasty. Its Pistachio and Cranberry Chocolate Bark.

Basically melt some good quality chocolate (Lidl do a fab semi dark one called Madagascar - about 1.50 for 250g), and mix in crushed pistachio nuts and dried/semi dried cranberries. Spread thinly on greaseproof paper and sprinkle some more crushed nuts and cranberries on top. If you like you can melt some white chocolate and mix in to make a marble effect.
    Allow to set and crack into pieces.

I have put mine into jars. Its tastes fab, and looks nice. Takes only a few minutes:

edd11.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

good idea with the bun trays, do you coat the tray with butter so they dont stick..?

Do you think i could just re-jar by steralising new jars and pouring the mixture straight in or would i have to re-boil the jam again..

I make my own baking grease-equal parts of butter, flour and oil, whip it up using a mixer and rub on the baking tin. Works better than just butter IMO, and the excess can be stored in a jar in the fridge and used again. Just bear in mind that there is butter in it, so it doesn't keep indefinitely.

Personally I'd prefer to bring the chili jam to a boil again, the heat will kill any bacteria that may otherwise grow in cold jam going into a hot jar. Re-boiling it won't harm the jam anyway, and it will only take a few minutes in a wide based pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Made Rachel allens marshmallows yesterday. God they are good. Also made spiced sugar nuts, very good but the nuts are a bit soft but still taste good. Have made the chilli jam and it set quite thick. I did leave it to boil longer than indicated though. Havent tried it but it looks good.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/seasonal/christmas/how-to-gift-wrap-food-gifts is a good read too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I can see a backlash on boards on St Stephen's Day when the entire population of the country gets presents of Chilli Jam on Christmas Day. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I can see a backlash on boards on St Stephen's Day when the entire population of the country gets presents of Chilli Jam on Christmas Day. :p

As long as there is no crossover of relatives so people aren't getting several jars .. it'll be fiiiiine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Four years running and I'm sick of it, but the OH's family devour it so I'm sorted :D

Modified senelra's lemon curd recipe to make spiced orange curd, same recipe except sub in two oranges and one lemon, a tsp of ginger and mixed spice. Turned out great, really christmassy! :)

Gingerbread houses tomorrow. Can anyone who made Alton brown's marshmallows tell me if they substituted golden for corn syrup? Or would that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I made some cookies from extra unused bits and pieces that didn't go into the xmas cakes and stuff that's in the presses. The xmas cakes recipes needed macadamia nuts but I forgot to put them in the cakes so I used them instead of pistachios for the cookies. I used this recipe from here. The recipe itself is *very* sweet so you might need to lower the sugar amount so best do a small test run to test the water. They're sort of like the crumbly shortbread cookies that starbucks do.

The recipe is very easy to do (I microwaved the butter to soften it) and works well if you want to try different ideas instead of pistachios and cranberry. I used some 100g of ground almonds and 100g of halved glace cherries (next time I'd quarter some so there is more colour in them). It would be very easy to do a double or a triple batch of sugar/flour/butter/vanilla and split it in up to have 2 or 3 different additional ingredients.

Forming them into rolls/logs using the cling film from the mixing bowl takes a little bit of time but I didn't mind as it like playing with play-doh! It was only after I chilled my batches that I realised you could make them into certain shapes. If you press a pen into the soft dough and press it in a hard back book before you chill it you could get heart shaped cookies if you're patient enough. It's tough to make a yellow dough tube in clingfilm look good but maybe a strategic bow or ribbon might be needed.

When I was cutting the chilled cookies from the bar/log, you might hit a nut or deform the uncooked cookie but you can easily reform them by hand before you cook them to cover up any mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Eviledna wrote: »
    Four years running and I'm sick of it, but the OH's family devour it so I'm sorted :D

Modified senelra's lemon curd recipe to make spiced orange curd, same recipe except sub in two oranges and one lemon, a tsp of ginger and mixed spice. Turned out great, really christmassy! :)

Gingerbread houses tomorrow. Can anyone who made Alton brown's marshmallows tell me if they substituted golden for corn syrup? Or would that work?

Yep-golden syrup all the way!!! Forgot it even called for corn syrup!! Making batch number 4 of the week today! My little girl wants fancy colours, and hubbie wont stop eating them

Thanks hootietootie! Sounds like a lovely marshmallowy Xmas in your house :D
    I'm gonna try them out, I've not got a stand mixer so 15 mins whipping is gonna be a pain with the hand mixer! Want to pipe them into 2d snowmen shapes as prezzies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

:eek:

I cannot believe you wrote that!

I love the stuff, and always have a jar in the fridge. My family and friends are the same, I've kept them in constant supply since I found this thread last year. I made 6 jars last week, and I only have my own one half jar left. Will make more today for the actual hampers!!

:D I know I used to be all about the chilli sweetness, but two years in a row I've let it boil over during, resulting in a cloud of chilli infused burnt sugar ready to awash your sinuses with capsaicin blistering pain.

It's my own fault for doing too many things at once, but like a hamster learning not to get shocked, the experience has tainted the taste a little for me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

NiCiarain wrote: »
    St Stephens Day Chutney has been mentioned in the thread but I can't see the recipe for it. Could someone post it please?

I'd love to make some gluten free items for a coeliac friend, does anyone have any nice festive gluten free recipes? I'd especially love a gluten free stuffing recipe.

Also, I'm looking for cellophane wrapping in Galway if anyone knows where I could get some please let me know :)

NiCiarain

I made the st stephans day chutney last year and it didnt turn out very nice at all nobody i made it for liked it, I got the recipie from Kirsties homemade christmas on the channel four website.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

:D I know I used to be all about the chilli sweetness, but two years in a row I've let it boil over during, resulting in a cloud of chilli infused burnt sugar ready to awash your sinuses with capsaicin blistering pain.

It's my own fault for doing too many things at once, but like a hamster learning not to get shocked, the experience has tainted the taste a little for me:)

Yeah, cleaning the hob is a nightmare. And I always seem to spill in when I'm ladelling it into jars. Sticky mess!!

I'm also not too keen on the vinegary/ chilli smell when it's cooking. I always have the back door open for ages after cooking it.

So worth it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yup, the chances are if you're the kind of person who makes their own chutney and the like that your friends and family might also make them.
    I have way too many jars of chutney in the cupboard - I like chutney but rarely use it. I like my own best too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Made a batch of Chipotle En Adobo. Ran a competition on my blog for one of the jars and shall be giving a few more small jars as presents.

It's one of my favourite store-cupboard ingredients.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11457

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

ElleEm wrote: »
    I'm also not too keen on the vinegary/ chilli smell when it's cooking. I always have the back door open for ages after cooking it.

That's the best smell in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

trackguy wrote: »
    Made a batch of Chipotle En Adobo. Ran a competition on my blog for one of the jars and shall be giving a few more small jars as presents.

It's one of my favourite store-cupboard ingredients.

Now that's a jar I wouldn't remind receiving!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Thanks hootietootie! Sounds like a lovely marshmallowy Xmas in your house :D
    I'm gonna try them out, I've not got a stand mixer so 15 mins whipping is gonna be a pain with the hand mixer! Want to pipe them into 2d snowmen shapes as prezzies :)

Good luck with the hand mixer-I sure wouldn't try it!! Nearly busted my brand new kitchen aid the first time I made them-using the American recipe without checking the amount of gelatine in our packets! Might take longer than 15 mins-takes almost that on full speed on my mixer! Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Made fudge from this thread today, absolutely incredible. washing the pan now is the worst part!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Made fudge from this thread today, absolutely incredible. washing the pan now is the worst part!

which recipe did you use jinxremoving?

sandy_c wrote: »

which recipe did you use jinxremoving?

The one Susie q posted on page 1, it turned out quite sticky, like a caramel tyoe fudge but its lovely :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

The one Susie q posted on page 1, it turned out quite sticky, like a caramel tyoe fudge but its lovely :-)

Ah they're the ingredients i bought today gonna give it a bash tonight! nyom

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭purplestar77

Hi, I love all the great ideas here and I tried the fudge recipe from this thread tonight, but got toffee instead :( put the saucepan in water as I whisked so don't know where I went wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Where do most of you guys who made the chilli jam get the cider vinegar will your bog standard tescos have it :D Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    Where do most of you guys who made the chilli jam get the cider vinegar will your bog standard tescos have it :D Many thanks

I got it in Dunnes. I'd say Tesco would have it though.

• Advertisement

Hi, I love all the great ideas here and I tried the fudge recipe from this thread tonight, but got toffee instead :( put the saucepan in water as I whisked so don't know where I went wrong
    Me too, it wouldn't set at all once i took it out of tray!

Advertisement