Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we ignore animal cruelty to suit us?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Have a look at this video, the Glass Walls one, and tell me that the meat industry is acceptable: http://www.meat.org/

The animals in that video are treated disgracefully. It's also propaganda. It seems like a lot of those video clips are from parts of the world where standards are not as high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

mconigol wrote: »
    The animals in that video are treated disgracefully. It's also propaganda. It seems like a lot of those video clips are from parts of the world where standards are not as high.

How is it propaganda exactly? Plus one of the scenes featured English speaking slaughterhouse workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

mconigol wrote: »
    I have seen it here in Ireland and even worse than is in that video.Standards are only high on paper...thats where the real propaganda is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Have a look at this video, the Glass Walls one, and tell me that the meat industry is acceptable: http://www.meat.org/

Looking at that video does not put me off meat, but it does make me wish I could supply more of my own food. At least that way I know exactly how the animal was killed, and can stand over the fact that my best is done to ensure that the animal did not suffer or that any sufferring if any did occur was kept to an absoult minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

ScumLord wrote: »
    Hunting is a fundamental part of nature. I'm constantly shocked people can overlook how nature has been for billions of years and instead assume that they know better based on a decade or two of wallowing in the modern human notions that we're some sort of fairy that can somehow overcome the fact we're also part of nature. Being in harmony with nature means killing, I'd be fairly certain that nature would be proud as punch of her human creation. It's survival of the strongest and fittest, not lets all be friends like on Barney.

I can only assume your don't shop in tesco, if you do your a hypocrite.

No, it's normal, it's been happening since their was life.

I don't live in Ireland so I don't shop in Tesco. But if I did, how the hell would that make me a hypocrite? If I buy free-range eggs and no meat in Tesco, that is sending them a message that there is a bigger market than before for ethical foods.

Also, you keep saying that hunting is in our nature. It isn't. It's not in mine, and it's not in the nature of anyone I know be they vegetarian or not.

You speak about us being hunters. I can only guess that you mean that we are so as historically that's what people did. But our brains and intelligence have also evolved. We now know how to eat healthily and still get our vitamins and minerals. We do not need to eat meat to survive or indeed live a long healthy life.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    OK, looney bin vegetarians, can any of ye answer the below questions? I have asked these of vegetarians before but they were always ignored.

Ye seem to think killing animals is wrong, so:

a) do ye look under your feet to make sure you're not stepping on woodlice and drive really slow to avoid splattering poor defenseless bugs? Because if not you are murdering animals

b) If you your house happens to be infested with rats, would you hire an exterminator, or allow them to have free run of your house?

c) do you care about the millions of animals killed by farm machinery in the harvesting of vegetarian foods (grains etc..) or killed due to elimination of their habitat?

Because if you think you can go through life without killing anything, you are living in a fantastic delusion of your own creation and not the real world

You're lack of understanding of vegetarianism is astounding. And your "looney-bin vegetarians" comment highly insulting.

Should we allow murderers to remain out of prison as, "shur they've already killed a few people, no point in stopping them now". Any vegetarian I know, refrains from eating meat to reduce the amount of harm to animals. It doesn't have to be all nothing. Why not try to avoid killing as many animals as possible by not adding to the demand for meat. It's not a case of, "shur you've been involved in the killing of animals because you stepped on that spider on the footpath, so you may as well go have get yourself a burger in McDonalds".

You have a very simple view of this subject. Also, if you insult a wide-range of people again as you already have done, I'll report your posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

How is it propaganda exactly? Plus one of the scenes featured English speaking slaughterhouse workers.

Because they pick and choose the videos that they show and imply that this is the case 100% of the time. Of course it's propaganda. I'm not defending what happens in the video by the way, just observing the point.
    archer22 wrote: »
    I have seen it here in Ireland and even worse than is in that video.Standards are only high on paper...thats where the real propaganda is.

I grew up on a farm and have spent much time working on other farms and around farms. From my experience the majority of farms in Ireland treat their livestock extremely well. The depictions of suffering dairy cattle or poorly housed livestock are extremely disingenuous.

On the subject of abattoirs. I'm sure they can improve standards. There's always room for improvement, however it's never going to look pretty regardless of how humanely animals are slaughtered. The abattoir I used to be in regularly had high standards.

In my opinion people need to significantly reduce consumption of meat and bring it to more sustainable levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

kraggy wrote: »
    I don't live in Ireland so I don't shop in Tesco. But if I did, how the hell would that make me a hypocrite? If I buy free-range eggs and no meat in Tesco, that is sending them a message that there is a bigger market than before for ethical foods.

Also, you keep saying that hunting is in our nature. It isn't. It's not in mine, and it's not in the nature of anyone I know be they vegetarian or not.

You speak about us being hunters. I can only guess that you mean that we are so as historically that's what people did. But our brains and intelligence have also evolved. We now know how to eat healthily and still get our vitamins and minerals. We do not need to eat meat to survive or indeed live a long healthy life.
    I wan't being specific to humans, I didn't mention humans what I keep saying is that pretty much all animals since the dawn of time have had to hunt, weather their hunting for other animals or even plants. It's something that's hard wired into all animals. It is in your nature you just don't have to depend on it any more but hunting traits will always shine though.

The reason I'd say anyone shopping in Tescos a hypocrite is because while they may offer the organic stuff to appease the masses over all they're reducing the value of livestock by the very nature of their business model. Just shopping in their contributes to a lower standard of life for animals even if you don't buy the meat your enabling them by encouraging their way of doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

kraggy wrote: »
    You're lack of understanding of vegetarianism is astounding. And your "looney-bin vegetarians" comment highly insulting.

Should we allow murderers to remain out of prison as, "shur they've already killed a few people, no point in stopping them now". Any vegetarian I know, refrains from eating meat to reduce the amount of harm to animals. It doesn't have to be all nothing. Why not try to avoid killing as many animals as possible by not adding to the demand for meat. It's not a case of, "shur you've been involved in the killing of animals because you stepped on that spider on the footpath, so you may as well go have get yourself a burger in McDonalds".

You have a very simple view of this subject. Also, if you insult a wide-range of people again as you already have done, I'll report your posts.

I called vegetarians 'loony-bins' as in my opinion they have twisted morals and live in a deluded fantasy world. You may think you're a herbivore but you're not (unless you are a rabbit who has evolved the ability to use a keyboard, if so, fair play). You are an omnivore. Your ancestors involved eating meat, which helped evolve your large brain (again, may not apply to you). Vitamin B12 is only available from animal sources. Omega 3 acids are only available in large amounts in animal sources (excluding seed and vegetable oils which are about as natural as synthetic Omega 3s)

All arguments stating 'killing animals is wrong' are bogus IMO. Firstly, it's not possible to exist without killing animals. Secondly, killing animals is only wrong if you have the moral compass of a five year old. If we didn't eat cows, they wouldn't exits, as they can't exist on their own. Presumably you think hunting is wrong? Well, I read an article yesterday that 20 people a year are killed by an excess of deer in Britain. So is it OK for 20 humans to die rather than culling an excess in the deer population?

Actually, don't bother answering, i don't care about your answer. Hope I've insulted you enough. Report away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I've worked in the meat trade for about 20 years while not directly in the abatoir i was involved in the work practices of the staff there through the role of shop steward. That video wouldn't be a reflection of what goes on there. In the beef sector factory bosses place huge importance on the welfare of the animal before slaughter. For the meat to get the best possible price the animal has to be stress free at point of slaughter. However i cant emphasise enough how barbaric halal butcheri is. Most companies could kill between 30-60 animals an hour now just think for a minute that that when an animal gets its throat cut how far down the line it'll be before it finally dies and how many parts of the process has gone on before it dies. With the demand for irish beef on the up again this method of slaughter will become increasingly popular. I remember being at the shooting box in a company in kilkenny about 15 years ago and the farmer coming up the shute with his bull and when he got the bull into the box he said to them young lad could he have the ring back from the bull's nose. The bull dropped out of the box and as soon as the shackle went on his leg and it was hoisted up the lad reached out and cut off the bull's nose with the ring attached and handed it back to the farmer. Farmer had to be dragged off him i felt like joining sorry for going of visible but some lads enjoy the killing a little more than they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I called vegetarians 'loony-bins' as in my opinion they have twisted morals and live in a deluded fantasy world.
    Someone with an attitude like this would more correctly be called a "loony bin", because of its utter irrationally.
    You may think you're a herbivore but you're not (unless you are a rabbit who has evolved the ability to use a keyboard, if so, fair play). You are an omnivore. Your ancestors involved eating meat, which helped evolve your large brain (again, may not apply to you). Vitamin B12 is only available from animal sources. Omega 3 acids are only available in large amounts in animal sources (excluding seed and vegetable oils which are about as natural as synthetic Omega 3s)
    So vegetable oils are un-natural, hummm... You do realise cooking food is also un-natural and it is impossible for a human to survive without cooking their food, be that animal or vegetable. Wearing clothes is also un-natural, I suppose you go through life naked, what about life saving medical interventions?
    Fact is we left quite a lot behind us and added many others that could be called un-natural, cherry picking for the sake of argument doesn't quite cut it.
    We do not have to eat meat in order to survive or keep healthy, this is physiological fact regarding the species named Homo Sapiens.
    All arguments stating 'killing animals is wrong' are bogus IMO. Firstly, it's not possible to exist without killing animals.
    Are you back to your irrational argument about insects and rats again :rolleyes:
    So someone goes through life killing insects and rats, or bacteria with antibiotics, give me one rational reason (just one will do) why they SHOULD add cows, sheep etc to the list.
    If we didn't eat cows, they wouldn't exits, as they can't exist on their own.
    So, what?
    Actually, don't bother answering, i don't care about your answer. Hope I've insulted you enough. Report away
    You go on about people having the morals of a five year old, yet insulting people you disagree with is the action of a five year old.

Thinking someone is mad because they don't eat meat is the attitude of a very naive and quite delusional person who needs to get out more and experience a bit more of the world. Not meaning to insult but these are facts, as there is no rationality behind such an attitude.

• Advertisement

Someone with an attitude like this would more correctly be called a "loony bin", because of its utter irrationally.

So vegetable oils are un-natural, hummm... You do realise cooking food is also un-natural and it is impossible for a human to survive without cooking their food, be that animal or vegetable. Wearing clothes is also un-natural, I suppose you go through life naked, what about life saving medical interventions?
    Fact is we left quite a lot behind us and added many others that could be called un-natural, cherry picking for the sake of argument doesn't quite cut it.
    We do not have to eat meat in order to survive or keep healthy, this is physiological fact regarding the species named Homo Sapiens.

Are you back to your irrational argument about insects and rats again :rolleyes:
    So someone goes through life killing insects and rats, or bacteria with antibiotics, give me one rational reason (just one will do) why they SHOULD add cows, sheep etc to the list.

So, what?

You go on about people having the morals of a five year old, yet insulting people you disagree with is the action of a five year old.

Thinking someone is mad because they don't eat meat is the attitude of a very naive and quite delusional person who needs to get out more and experience a bit more of the world. Not meaning to insult but these are facts, as there is no rationality behind such an attitude.

We have been cooking food for at least 100,000 years. Until about a hundred years ago, extracting oils from seeds and vegetables was not possible, therefore was not a viable food for humans for most of our existence.

We don't need meat to survive (to keep healthy, now that's debatable) but we do need animal products (eggs, milk etc..) to get Vitamin B12, deficiencies of which lead to brain shrinkage and death. This is excluding supplements, which again, humans haven't been able to eat for most of our existence.

You still haven't answered my question about deer culling. I didn't expect you to, I'm used to hysterical vegetarians ignoring the hard questions about their beliefs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I'm neither a farmer nor hunter, though I do come from a farming background, and have raised pigs (2) for slaughter.

That video was horrible.
    However, I don't believe that was a typical slaughter, as in slaughter for food. It seemed more like a disease control cull. That doesn't excuse the suffering endured by the animals, though.
    Having said that, cows do not normally lie on top of one another, as seen in the video, which would suggest that these animals were already suffering.
    The question is, could we find a more humane method of killing them?

I'm amazed at the "Black or White" responses here.
    As uncomfortable as that video made me feel, I watched it a couple of times, and I've come to the conclusion that the particular method of killing used there can be either humane, or incredibly cruel.
    The first few animals appear to have died instantly - I say that because I don't know enough about the level of awareness of the animals, and over what time frame, before they have any more ability to feel pain, ie just because the animal is unable to move doesn't mean it cannot feel - so I have to go with the best scientific evidence available, until/if something else is proven.

Compare this with some of the animals at the end of that video - they're kicking, seem to be trying to get up - in short, appear (to me, at least) to have "awareness" of what is going on.
    If I've judged that correctly - and I'm basing that opinion on having spent my entire life around a range of animals, not on any scientific /medical training - then that's a horrible way to slaughter any animal.

The question for me is, if all the animals die instantly, why do the animals react so differently?

Is it not possible that a minute miscalculation about the size of the bolt used, or a sudden movement by the animal at the last minute can cause the bolt to miss the exact nerve centre?
    If that is the case, the pain suffered must be unimaginable.:eek:

I also don't understand the bile spewn at hunters.
    I despise people who hunt for "fun". It's barbaric.
    I fully support banning foxhunting.
    On the other hand, I live in the country, and I also support shooting foxes as a method of culling where there are problems with overpopulation. Better a quick bullet than a slow starvation, infested with parasites, as often as not.

Neither do I have a problem with people hunting for food.
    A well placed shot will kill an animal instantly. Therefore there is no suffering involved, when the hunter in question is capable, and ethical.

In other words, it's not black and white. Some hunters do actually have a genuine concern for animal welfare, despite what some posters here would like to believe. Others, frankly, have no regard for the animals they kill.
    All in all, hunters are like any other group of humans - they are all individuals, with all the character differences that that implies.

Things are rarely black and white - to improve things, sometimes we need to find the grey areas, then see how we can improve things.

So, what?
    Well in Europe at least the ecosystem has adapted to farming, so removing large chunks of animals from that ecosystem would likely be disastrous with unforeseen knock on effects. Intensive farming is already ruing this ecosystem but if humans where to stop eating their domestic animals (essentially wiping them out) it could do a lot of damage, just look what the fluffy bunny rabbit and toad did to Australia, with the best of intentions they caused massive unforeseen damage.

We have been cooking food for at least 100,000 years. Until about a hundred years ago, extracting oils from seeds and vegetables was not possible, therefore was not a viable food for humans for most of our existence.
    We don't need meat to survive (to keep healthy, now that's debatable) but we do need animal products (eggs, milk etc..) to get Vitamin B12, deficiencies of which lead to brain shrinkage and death. This is excluding supplements, which again, humans haven't been able to eat for most of our existence.
    (Egg, milk etc are not meat, I am talking about meat eating.)
    Maybe some actual facts might help you here. Vegetarianism has been around for thousands and thousands of years in an unbroken line, it is not unhealthy.
    Vegetarianism.
    The term vegetarian was coined in 1847 by the founders of the Vegetarian Society of Great Britain, but vegetarianism has been around as long as people have created diets. Some of the world's oldest cultures advocate a vegetarian diet for health and religious purposes. In India, millions of Hindus are vegetarians because of their religious beliefs. One of the ancient mythological works of Hinduism, the Mahabharata, states that, "Those who desire to possess good memory, beauty, long life with perfect health, and physical, moral and spiritual strength, should abstain from animal foods." The yoga system of living and health is vegetarian, because its dietary practices are based on the belief that healthy food contains prana. Prana is the universal life energy, which yoga experts believe is abundant in fresh fruits, grains, nuts and vegetables, but absent in meat because meat has been killed. Yogis also believe that spiritual health is influenced by the practice of ahimsa, or not harming living beings. The principle of ahimsa (non-violence) appears in the Upanishads (Vedic literature) from c. 600-300 b.c. Taking of animal life or human life under any circumstances is sinful and results in rebirth as a lower organism. It became a fundamental element of Jainism, another religion of India. Some Buddhists in Japan and China are also vegetarian because of spiritual beliefs. In the Christian tradition, the Trappist Monks of the Catholic Church are vegetarian, and some vegetarians argue that there is evidence that Jesus and his early followers were vegetarian. Other traditional cultures, such as those in the Middle East and the Mediterranean regions, have evolved diets that frequently consist of vegetarian foods. The Mediterranean diet, which a Harvard study declared to be one of the world's healthiest, is primarily, although not strictly, vegetarian.
    You still haven't answered my question about deer culling. I didn't expect you to, I'm used to hysterical vegetarians ignoring the hard questions about their beliefs
    1. You didn't ask me that question, I also gave my attitudes on hunting earlier in the thread.
    2. I am not a vegetarian.
    3. Defending the rational from the irrational is not being hysterical.

Well in Europe at least the ecosystem has adapted to farming, so removing large chunks of animals from that ecosystem would likely be disastrous with unforeseen knock on effects. Intensive farming is already ruing this ecosystem but if humans where to stop eating their domestic animals (essentially wiping them out) it could do a lot of damage, just look what the fluffy bunny rabbit and toad did to Australia, with the best of intentions they caused massive unforeseen damage.
    Without human intervention here, most of the land would revert to forest.
    I have seen many examples of where cattle or sheep have been removed from the land, there are examples all over the country for various reasons, they all become areas full of native wildlife and plants and are some of the most wonderful places to live I have ever come across on this island.
    I only visited a friend last week who took over around 50 acres 20 years ago, the only thing he has done to the land is plant numerous native species of trees, it is an utterly amazing place.
    Your comparison with the introduction of rabbits to Australia is amusing and quite wrong.

I have seen many examples of where cattle or sheep have been removed from the land, there are examples all over the country for various reasons, they all become areas full of native wildlife and plants and are some of the most wonderful places to live I have ever come across on this island.
    I only visited a friend last week who took over around 50 acres 20 years ago, the only thing he has done to the land is plant numerous native species of trees, it is an utterly amazing place.
    Your comparison with the introduction of rabbits to Australia is amusing and quite wrong.
    It's not because your still displaying the same naivety, that being we could simply remove or introduce species to and from the ecosystem and everything would be just fine and dandy, the fact is the wild animals have adapted to human farming cycles, I'm fairly certain I've heard of wild species already coming under treat in Europe due to the move towards more industrial farming.

Deluded again. You think nature would all live happily ever after? Without human intervention animals ( deer in particular) would overbreed, run riot and chew vegetation (including young trees) to ****. Their natural predators (wolves) were eradicated a long time ago so these animals have no natural predators. Part of a job of a forest ranger is to cull animals who are breeding to excess. Sorry to shatter your naive little myth (not sorry)

It's not because your still displaying the same naivety, that being we could simply remove or introduce species to and from the ecosystem and everything would be just fine and dandy, the fact is the wild animals have adapted to human farming cycles, I'm fairly certain I've heard of wild species already coming under treat in Europe due to the move towards more industrial farming.
    With all due respect you're not being very rational here, how can you compare areas destroyed by industrial farming to areas where domestic animals are removed and left to go wild :confused:
    In the hypothetical situation where all domestic animals were to disappear from this island, the wildlife would have a proverbial "field day", they do not rely on us and our animals to survive and prosper, we are not essential to the workings of this planet.

Deluded again. You think nature would all live happily ever after? Without human intervention animals ( deer in particular) would overbreed, run riot and chew vegetation (including young trees) to ****. Their natural predators (wolves) were eradicated a long time ago so these animals have no natural predators. Part of a job of a forest ranger is to cull animals who are breeding to excess. Sorry to shatter your naive little myth (not sorry)
    Sure if we were to go to the trouble of getting rid of all our domestic animals and the changes that would mean to the countryside why not reintroduce wolves?

If you could find a post in this forum where I said I was against deer culling I would be most interested. Are you actually capable of rational debate?

• Advertisement

With all due respect you're not being very rational here, how can you compare areas destroyed by industrial farming to areas where domestic animals are removed and left to go wild :confused:
    In the hypothetical situation where all domestic animals were to disappear from this island, the wildlife would have a proverbial "field day", they do not rely on us and our animals to survive and prosper, we are not essential to the workings of this planet.
    I don't think it would be a "field day" there would be chaos as animals try to find new niches, Some wild plants would take over areas possibly choking out other species of plants in the process. It may happen like you say but just about every other time we've tried to make great changes to an ecosystem it's always caused huge unforeseen problems.

We are not essential to life on earth but we are a huge part of ecosystems all over the world, people don't seem to recognise that. We are part of nature we can't just step back and remove ourselves from our place.

I don't think it would be a "field day" there would be chaos as animals try to find new niches, Some wild plants would take over areas possibly choking out other species of plants in the process. It may happen like you say but just about every other time we've tried to make great changes to an ecosystem it's always caused huge unforeseen problems.
    When land in Ireland is unfarmed or untended it reverts to temperate broadleaf forest with the associated eco-systems.
    If you live in the country surely you have seen areas abandoned by people and how native species of flora take over very quickly, followed rapidly by the fauna, there is no chaos.
    Anyway since nobody is advocating any such changes I don't see the point of this, all I said was, so what if cows disappeared?, we would still have to farm the land to grow food (make money).
    We are not essential to life on earth but we are a huge part of ecosystems all over the world, people don't seem to recognise that. We are part of nature we can't just step back and remove ourselves from our place.
    Nobody here seems to be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...why not reintroduce wolves?
    Because Wolves will be concerned about humainly killing humans?

When land in Ireland is unfarmed or untended it reverts to temperate broadleaf forest with the associated eco-systems.
    If you live in the country surely you have seen areas abandoned by people and how native species of flora take over very quickly, followed rapidly by the fauna, there is no chaos.
    I do live in the countryside and I have seen plots chocked by weeds to the point nothing could even walk through and a minority of plant variety could compete, it all depends on the area though.

Would a viable broad leaf forest pop up rapidly? I would have thought a broad leaf forest would take a decade or more to establish itself. You'll have a period when the environment will be in transition, really your talking about moving through 3 different environments, as it is now, the transition period and then an established forest which would kill anything that was growing in the meantime. So animals would have to adapt 3 times due to one change. It could very well mean the loss of a few species and that's across the board loss, plants and animals.

It's very hard to know though, you just can't say either way what will happen but going on past experience it more than likely will surprise us in some way that could take further decades to fully realise. I wonder how our vegetation would react to the sudden loss of livestock manure after thousands of years of it being there?

Zulu wrote: »
    Because Wolves will be concerned about humainly killing humans?
    To continue the off-topic line.....
    Wolf attacks on humans.
    A reasonable source for information is the world-wide study of wolf attacks on humans done by the Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA) in 2002. The finding of the report was that during the 100 years of the 20th century there were between twenty and thirty attacks in North America (including Alaska and Canada, which have relatively high populations of wolves). Of these, three were fatal, all because of rabies. No attacks have been recorded in Yellowstone since the reintroduction of wolves more than a decade ago

3 deaths in 100 years, highly dangerous animals those wolves.

You know the difference in population density of Yellowstone park, against, say, swords? Right??

But no, you're right. Re-introduce the wolf to Ireland to keep deer populations in check - great idea.

I do live in the countryside and I have seen plots chocked by weeds to the point nothing could even walk through and a minority of plant variety could compete, it all depends on the area though.

Would a viable broad leaf forest pop up rapidly? I would have thought a broad leaf forest would take a decade or more to establish itself. You'll have a period when the environment will be in transition, really your talking about moving through 3 different environments, as it is now, the transition period and then an established forest which would kill anything that was growing in the meantime. So animals would have to adapt 3 times due to one change. It could very well mean the loss of a few species and that's across the board loss, plants and animals.

It's very hard to know though, you just can't say either way what will happen but going on past experience it more than likely will surprise us in some way that could take further decades to fully realise.
    It would take a lot more than 10 years.
    Our native wildlife wouldn't have to adapt to anything, how much wildlife do you see living in (not just crossing) open grass fields, they are a virtual desert bereft of wildlife, the wildlife is based in hedgerows and wooded areas, ie little bits of wilderness. .
    I wonder how our vegetation would react to the sudden loss of livestock manure after thousands of years of it being there?
    Come on now, I'm looking out my window typing this and the only place where there is cow sh*t is on the desert of a grass field, there is none in the hedgerows or wooded areas full of plants trees and animals. :)

Zulu wrote: »
    You know the difference in population density of Yellowstone park, against, say, swords? Right??
    But no, you're right. Re-introduce the wolf to Ireland to keep deer populations in check - great idea.
    No, culling is a better option. Big deer problem in swords is there? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Come on now, I'm looking out my window typing this and the only place where there is cow sh*t is on the desert of a grass field, there is none in the hedgerows or wooded areas full of plants trees and animals. :)

You don't have to put manure directly on a patch of grass for it to affect that patch of grass.

The eco-system is a chain of interlinking factors. Nutrients in the soil in one area can have an indirect, but nonetheless important, impact on the vegetation in another area.

• Advertisement

No, culling is a better option. Big deer problem in swords is there? :rolleyes:
    At least we're agreed, culling is a better option.
    As for swords having a big deer problem, not really. But are you suggesting that those wolves you wanted to reintroduce won't roam? That they'll stay in the nice little coilte forests scattered around the country? Because to suggest that would be really fu(king stupid.

Advertisement