Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Wall Street - Media Balckout & Police Brutatility

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

studiorat wrote: »
    Something that has struck me is the contrasts between the Occupy Wall St. people and the Tea Party, their similarities and differences.

Particularly in terms of the media coverage afforded them, their treatment by the establishment and the messages they are bringing.

Well the Tea party has the benefit of being an astroturfed organisation and practically endorsed and sponsored by Fox news, where as OWS is a mismash of people, concerns and lacking the clear leadership and singular message that made the tea party such compelling news.

But you would imagine that the teabaggers and the OWS people would be fellow travellers given the whole anti big-government shtick they have going on. Yet you won't see Palin, Paul or Bachmann anywhere near this protest.
    Funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Well without meaning to drag up the posting on the internet business here's something I noticed while browsing...
    Virginia Congressman Tom Perriello's brother had the gas line to his home severed after Tea Partiers posted the wrong address on the internet. They were encouraging people to visit Perriello and "express their thanks," for his ‘yes' vote.

It appears OWS may be getting at astroturf put in this week as it were : http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20111002/ECONOMY/310029971

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

http://www.facebook.com/OccupyDameStreet

It's coming to Dublin! Great idea but I suspect it will be a failure here. We don't seem to care enough to get out on the streets. So we ring Joe Duffy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's hardly coming here. One person set up a Facebook page, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the extent of their protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

humanji wrote: »
    It's hardly coming here. One person set up a Facebook page, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the extent of their protest.

Yes and that's how a lot of these kind of things get started these days. It starts with a simple post on facebook/twitter. But as I said,we Irish are not the protesting type.

• Advertisement

I think it's more a case that the person who set up the page is riding on the coat tales of those in New York. And just like the people in New York whent hey started off, this guy has no idea what they want or how to achieve it. They just want a general solution to general problem and are hoping that someone can fill in the blanks.

The Irish have had plenty of protests, but it's better to have them when you know why you're protesting and know what you want to achieve.

Occupy Joe Duffy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Well the Tea party has the benefit of being an astroturfed organisation and practically endorsed and sponsored by Fox news, where as OWS is a mismash of people, concerns and lacking the clear leadership and singular message that made the tea party such compelling news.

But you would imagine that the teabaggers and the OWS people would be fellow travellers given the whole anti big-government shtick they have going on. Yet you won't see Palin, Paul or Bachmann anywhere near this protest.
    Funny that.

The tea party don't stand for anything. They don't know why they are out demonstrating. They have placards reading "keep your government hands off my medicare" FFS. They chant slogans that they haven't a clue what they mean.. They are completely clueless and are thus not a threat. They can easily be co-opted by special interest groups to be used as pawns to bait Obama. They are just useful idiots. They have been hijacked by the cabal who want to abolish Social Security and Medicare and these cretins in the tea party are actually going along with it. They actually swallow the crap that Social Security needs to be "restructured" (read: plundered). The tea party are zero threat to the establishment. They are being played like a fiddle.

The OWS by comparison IS a threat and for your information they do have a clear message. Anyone with a brain knows what that message is, i.e. "We don't want you oligarchs running the show anymore"

Is that message simple enough for you?

Can we keep it on topic please? (especially me, as I should know better!)

• Advertisement

The tea party don't stand for anything.

I think you'll find they do.
    Smaller government is what they say they stand for, and they hammer that message. Lower taxes, less entitlement programs, strict constitutionalists they all are the for the same thing, reducing the size and power of the federal government.
    They don't know why they are out demonstrating. They have placards reading "keep your government hands off my medicare" FFS.

And I could cherry pick some OWS placards that make little sense by way of rebuttal. But I won't because it proves nothing other than some people are terrible at making their point.
    They chant slogans that they haven't a clue what they mean.. They are completely clueless and are thus not a threat.

The recent debt ceiling fiasco says otherwise.
    The OWS by comparison IS a threat and for your information they do have a clear message. Anyone with a brain knows what that message is, i.e. "We don't want you oligarchs running the show anymore"

Is that message simple enough for you?

The emperors new slogan, I see.

I doesn't matter what you believe the message to be, OWS have failed to provide a coherent, singular message.
    And still have failed to provide one.
    Hence why you seem to be convinced that only "one with a brain" can infer what that should be.
    This has hindered their ability to be effective.

And less sneering, please.
    You're better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

Check out how fair and balanced Fox news ****wit Hannity is reporting on the protest:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

ed2hands wrote: »
    Check out how fair and balanced Fox news ****wit Hannity is reporting on the protest:

After you've just thanked someone for posting Russian propaganda straight from Putin

Seriously LOL dude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Jonny7 wrote: »
    After you've just thanked someone for posting Russian propaganda straight from Putin

Seriously LOL dude

How do you know he wasn't thanking me for the other 2 video's ?

Edit:
    Forget it. It's to petty.

ed, they are trolling you, they are going out of their way to be biased and certainly not trying to be subtle about it. It's infotainment, it's down to the commercial value of media. It's about getting the viewers in, "news you can use". There's a couple of ways you can use the OWS story, Fox have the hard right, I suppose it appeals to their viewers, or what Fox considers their viewers. It's the same as listening to that gob****e all the taxi drivers listen to on FM 104, it's not news it's entertainment with a roughly factual basis. Hell people even watch it for the car crash that it is!! Being fully aware of how they portray it, some of it is pure comedy gold!

Either way it gets viewers in, either you detest them or you think they are great. They don't care as long as there's people watching and people willing to spread their content online. As the saying goes, any publicity is good publicity.

Jonny7 wrote: »

Seriously LOL dude

The thing is John; i agree with some of that propagandas conclusions:)

studiorat wrote: »
    ed, they are trolling you, they are going out of their way to be biased and certainly not trying to be subtle about it. It's infotainment, it's down to the commercial value of media. It's about getting the viewers in, "news you can use". There's a couple of ways you can use the OWS story, Fox have the hard right, I suppose it appeals to their viewers, or what Fox considers their viewers. It's the same as listening to that gob****e all the taxi drivers listen to on FM 104, it's not news it's entertainment with a roughly factual basis. Hell people even watch it for the car crash that it is!! Being fully aware of how they portray it, some of it is pure comedy gold!

Either way it gets viewers in, either you detest them or you think they are great. They don't care as long as there's people watching and people willing to spread their content online. As the saying goes, any publicity is good publicity.

Studio they have no interest in trolling me mate. I hear what you're saying, but it deeply worries me that the protest movement is being portrayed like this for the average yank.

The only thing Fox and it's sponsors are interested in doing is maintaining the status quo.

Technically, Hannity et al. don't do news, they do opinion and are therefore exempt from little things like journalistic integrity or, y'know, truth.

Studio they have no interest in trolling me mate. I hear what you're saying, but it deeply worries me that the protest movement is being portrayed like this for the average yank.

That's pretty much what the average yank thinks anyway, portrayed or not. That's they's probably communiss'...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

JP Morgan's record donation to NYPD.

New York City Police Foundation — New York

JPMorgan Chase recently donated an unprecedented $4.6 million to the New York City Police Foundation. The gift was the largest in the history of the foundation and will enable the New York City Police Department to strengthen security in the Big Apple. The money will pay for 1,000 new patrol car laptops, as well as security monitoring software in the NYPD's main data center.

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly sent CEO and Chairman Jamie Dimon a note expressing "profound gratitude" for the company's donation.

"These officers put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe," Dimon said. "We're incredibly proud to help them build this program and let them know how much we value their hard work."

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    JP Morgan's record donation to NYPD.

New York City Police Foundation — New York

JPMorgan Chase recently donated an unprecedented $4.6 million to the New York City Police Foundation. The gift was the largest in the history of the foundation and will enable the New York City Police Department to strengthen security in the Big Apple. The money will pay for 1,000 new patrol car laptops, as well as security monitoring software in the NYPD's main data center.

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly sent CEO and Chairman Jamie Dimon a note expressing "profound gratitude" for the company's donation.

"These officers put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe," Dimon said. "We're incredibly proud to help them build this program and let them know how much we value their hard work."

Since when .... WHEN... was a private corporation allowed to give money to a social service and since WHEN was that social service allowed to accept it?

Police, Coastguard, Defense, Education to name but a few are funded by taxes...and ONLY taxes. They are not for SALE. Who the fück allowed this to happen? JPMorgan can now give donations (bribes) to law enforcement the way they give campaign contributions (bribes) to politicians??

What a fücking banana republic America is!

Since when .... WHEN... was a private corporation allowed to give money to a social service and since WHEN was that social service allowed to accept it?

Police, Coastguard, Defense, Education to name but a few are funded by taxes...and ONLY taxes. They are not for SALE. Who the fück allowed this to happen? JPMorgan can now give donations (bribes) to law enforcement the way they give campaign contributions (bribes) to politicians??

What a fücking banana republic America is!

The NYC police foundation isn't the same as the actual police.

It's an independent, non-profit organisation set up in the 70's or so.
    Also anyone can donate, see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

down-with-evil-corporations.jpg

down-with-evil-corporations.jpg

And these demonstrations shall be broken up by....The Police; A SOCIAL PROGRAM :pac:

The NYC police foundation isn't the same as the actual police.

It's an independent, non-profit organisation set up in the 70's or so.
    Also anyone can donate, see here.

Right!
    And "campaign contributions" aren't actually bribes :rolleyes:

Right!

I fail to see what relevance that has, but your entire post was predicated on a misconception - it was an easy one to make if you weren't paying attention though, to be fair.

Though I'm wondering how the donation by JP Morgan to the NYC police foundation would translate into a bribe.

Right!

By that logic it would seem Town and Country magazine and Sears and Roebuck clothing company have more influence with the NYPD than Morgan Chase.

In other news: Here
    The appearance of a spontaneous combustion of angry white college students who are fed up with all the injustices that this country is famous for. That’s his [Obama's] base.

It seems like the White House is behind the Occupy Wall Street protestors, whoo'da thunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Sh!t's really gonna hit the fan now..

Just following orders, the vets understand.

• Advertisement

The stupid bollocks reported that he "infiltrated" and got maced...then his whole pathetic story got blown to jam-rags. What an utter wanker:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/10/washington-protest-american-spectator-patrick-howley

So the question is this:

If a protestor, exercising his or her Constitutional right to Freedom of assembly and government redress can be denied due process and subjected to not only unlawful search and seizure but also cruel and unusual punishment, then should not this agent provocateur also be brought up on charges of incitement to riot?

It's very simple. The law is the law and should apply to all. If an old woman with a cardboard sign can be lifted for "breach of the peace" then shouldn't this Howley tosser be lifted for ITR and even reckless endangerment?

Advertisement