Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Wall Street - Media Balckout & Police Brutatility

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    No, I stated earlier that I wouldn't recommend it.
    No you gave a hand waving denial without actually admitting that you though the actions were wrong.
    And that was after you said:
    No, beating up innocent girls you forfeit the safety of your family.

And thanked a post that said:

I hope these pigs and their families are harassed for years to come for being the corrupt, gutless thugs that they are.
    But something done in retaliation is easier for me to digest. Especially when a bully pepper sprays a young girl for no reason.
    In retaliation, he deserves what's coming, to him.
    Ah well then if it's in retaliation that makes it ok then.

And I'm sure there's plenty of safeguards in place to ensure that he only gets what he deserves, not more and that his innocent family get nothing of it either.

And hey, there's no messing around with a fair trial to determine guilt, culpability and other factors before punishing a person....

That'll learn him for stepping on people's rights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

You don't have the onions to protest anything yourself so in your inadequacy and insecurity you cheer on violence against those who do have these finer qualities.

The sad thing about a guy like you is that if people were out striking for cleaner water or better education standards you'd sneer at them as being liberal, anti-government pinkos. If, when their demands, however, were met you'd gladly avail yourself of the improved conditions.

Go "fumble in the greasy till and add prayer to shivering prayer", Mr Schadenfreude.

For christsake Jackie. You can't even get quote a secondary school poem correctly. How are we meant to believe any of the other ****e you come up with?

A little bit of friendly advice, use your brain for a change and stop assuming other peoples opinions. That way you mightn't keep coming across as some sort of Radical Walter Mitty type character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

King Mob wrote: »
    Ah well then if it's in retaliation that makes it ok then.

And I'm sure there's plenty of safeguards in place to ensure that he only gets what he deserves, not more and that his innocent family get nothing of it either.

And hey, there's no messing around with a fair trial to determine guilt, culpability and other factors before punishing a person....

That'll learn him for stepping on people's rights!

Precisely, welcome to the dark side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Maybe this should be moved to AH where this kind of revenge fantasy nonsense is par the course.

This is fantastic new if true, can't find it on any mainstream news sites though. WoOW, I had no idea the pepper sprayed woman was deaf. LOL

September 27, 2011 - TAMPA, FL - In a bizarre twist of fate, a growing movement of New York City Police Department officers are banding together with the Occupy Wall Street movement, while the main stream media continues to relatively ignore this escalating event.

The Occupy Wall Street movement issued the following statement on their website:

"Today we received unconfirmed reports that over one hundred blue collar police refused to come into work in solidarity with our movement. These numbers will grow. We are the 99 percent. You will not silence us." The news was released shortly after the identity of Deputy Inspector Anthony Bologna was revealed after he allegedly pepper sprayed a deaf woman.

The Occupy Wall Street movement is growing and has expanded to cover other cities, such as Los Angeles, CA and Chicago, IL, with numerous protests scheduled for other cities, such as Sarasota, FL, Washington DC, Lexington, Kentucky and San Francisco, California. Occupy Washington, D.C. begins on October 6, 2011.
    It is with hope and intent that the officers who are using excessive force on peaceful protestors realize that the only ones they are hurting is themselves through the destruction of the Constitution and the right for free speech. As the Occupy Wall Street movement grows, it is hopeful that officers from other cities will join in on the side of humanity and peace.
    For news you won't see on the main stream media, stay tuned to in5d alternative news.
    Celebrities have joined forces with the Occupy Wall Street movement, including rap artist Immortal Technique, Michael Moore and actress Susan Sarandon.

Immortal Technique Occupy Wall Street at 2am on Sept. 26th 2011

Better quality video here http://qik.com/video/44583274

In a related story, MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell is siding with the peaceful protesters who have been abused by the New York City Police Department, stating, "This weekend, a few troublemakers turned a peaceful protest against Wall Street greed into a violent burst of chaos. The troublemakers carried pepper spray and guns and were wearing badges... for not doing anything."

• Advertisement

Precisely, welcome to the dark side.
    Well you see I was being sarcastic to highlight your hypocrisy.

So you either know that and don't care, hence the silly reply or simply don't understand why moaning about the police infringing people's then applauding other groups similarly infringing people's rights is hypocritical.

Either way, shows just what your position requires to hold it.

If a cop beats up on defenceless girls, he deserves a kicking imo. End of. :)

If a cop beats up on defenceless girls, he deserves a kicking imo. End of. :)
    So infringing on rights means you deserve to have your and your loved one's rights infringed on...

King Mob wrote: »
    So infringing on rights means you deserve to have your and your loved one's rights infringed on...

Collateral damage for the greater good.

You're getting quite good at this mobster.

Indeed, a few days media coverage for the price of a few college chicks getting maced. I'm down with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

The revolution will not be televised.

You're getting quite good at this mobster.
    Lol.
    Not sure if serious, oblivious to what you're actual saying or self parodying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Do some people live in an alternative universe or something?

-This event was reported on the media, I saw it reported on at least 3 news stations at the time and in online newspapers.
    -Initially there were quite a few people but it seemed to have tapered off to only around 200 or 300 people, as others said, there have been bigger protests going on that didn't make it into mainstream (not local) news what-so-ever.
    -The protesters didn't really seem to have a focal point to their protests, in fact they seemed to be protesting a variety of things, which, as anyone knows, usually makes for a weak "protest"
    -US cops can be dicks.

No idea what the fuss is about, then again, its only 2 or 3 posters kicking up about this.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    -The protesters didn't really seem to have a focal point to their protests, in fact they seemed to be protesting a variety of things, which, as anyone knows, usually makes for a weak "protest"

Not knowing what they wanted, let alone when they wanted it did more to black this out than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You seen the video right ? the guy walks into the scene, sprays mace in the face of a group of girls and cowers away. What is so innocent about that ? He might be innocent in the eyes of the law (which of course he is above) until proven guilty but video evidence is enough for me.

I havnt read any reports of his family being named,attacked or harassed. Until they are, it's all hot air and being blown out of proportion.

This kind of cr@P goes unchecked to often for to long.
    Anonymous stunt seems to be thus far the best deterrent to police brutality.

What I would say to this thug is.. 'don't throw stones if you live in a glass house'. Simples

I bet his wife will tell him to "tone it fnking down, your heavy handed actions are putting your family at risk". "What the fnck did you mace innocent girls for anyway ?" "what kind of man are you ?" "How many other people have you unnecessarily arrested, abused or beaten ?"
    Nobody hsa said the cop is innocent. His family are innocent. Why do you want to punish them for something they didn't do? And how can you say it's been blown out of proportion? Anonymous have put innocent people at risk and are claiming the moral highground.

I find it strange that there are people who claim there's something rotten with the world, yet want a secret, unaccountable group to jackboot all over the freedom of innocents.
    Because to be quite honest, this kind of brutality is a run-of-the-mill daily occurrence. Check out any protest, any rally, any demonstration that threatens the elites and their order, i.e. anything anti-war, anti-G8, anti-fraud/theft/corruption and these cops are baying for blood. They unleash the dogs, brutalise peaceful demonstrators and mace, baton or smash young faces into the concrete. And they get away with it. They've got nothing to fear. Certainly not prosecution. Even when cops pump 45 shells into a mentally retarded unarmed man they go free. Only time I can remember a NY cop getting brought up on charges was when he battered a black man in the car with his radio and then tortured him in the precinct and nearly killed him by ramming a broken toilet plunger handle so far up his anus that it ruptured his intestines and spleen. He then rammed the handle into the man's mouth smashing all his front teeth. And STILL there were people who said that the victim, Abner Louima, probably deserved such horror.

Yet whenever there's a demonstration that bears no threat to the rich like dummies protesting some shït like gay-marriage or the Ku Klux klan having a march or a bunch of twits protesting the building of a mosque, there's not so much as peep out of the cops.

So who gives them the order to act like cops on one day and to act like fücking brownshirts on another day. Cops aren't the smartest people in the world and a lot of the time they don't understand the nature of the rallies that they are overseeing. Consequently SOMEONE must tell them when to be peacful and standoffish and when to be thugs.

Either that OR they are all thugs who actually agree with those who protest against blacks, muslims and queers.

Three of my cousins are NYPD and one is Philadelphia PD. The PDP is an old duffer beat cop (actually a grand-uncle) and he's dead old school. Nice, stereotypical Paddy cop from the 50's and 60's. The younger NYPD ones are racist thugs and they're my own flesh and blood.
    Not a word of that explains why you think family members of criminals should be targeted.

And as for this little gem:

Daithi, how about next time someone is banned, I ban you too? Not because you've done anything wrong. It's just, you know, collateral damage.

Now I'm not going to do that, but do you see the absurdity of it? Complaining about peoples rights being trampled on while trampling on peoples rights, is hypocritical and dangerous thinking.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    -This event was reported on the media, I saw it reported on at least 3 news stations at the time and in online newspapers.

Granted it was reported on, just like the G20 anti-globalisation protests, or the anti-capitalist protests in Greece or the million-strong anti-Iraq war march.
    It was reported on, but was it "covered"?
    As in are the real issues behind the protests ever properly explored in these reports? I say no.

It was reported on just like most protests are; very deceptively.

Hardly ever do you see an official spokesperson for whatever movement given reasonable if any airtime (or if they do give airtime they usually pick a scruffy-as-possible student type from the street to air his/her emotionally-charged soundbite views in the manner of the stereotypical "loony left marxist" to subtly demean the whole cause and paint it in a certain light.

And of course if any form of violence ensues, however small and for whatever reason, it's blown completely out of proportion and virtually becomes the story; along with the shock-factor footage to reinforce the public perception of the average protest as violent, property-destroying, anarchic and anti-society.

So now we're at the stage where the words violent and protest are now automatically associated with each other; granted partly due to violent protesters, but also sometimes due to military style clamp-downs and intimidation and resultant reportage by MSM.

As Gore Vidal said, "to keep information from the public is the function of the corporate media."

Great post ed, couple of points though.
    ed2hands wrote: »
    As in are the real issues behind the protests ever properly explored in these reports? I say no.

What are their issues? The media has speculated on them but nothing concrete has come out at all.
    And of course if any form of violence ensues, however small and for whatever reason, it's blown completely out of proportion and virtually becomes the story; along with the shock-factor footage to reinforce the public perception of the average protest as violent, property-destroying, anarchic and anti-society.

And in the same way, the macing of the two girls has become the story from both OWS' media publicity. Compared to the issues the protestors are trying to raise, the police brutality story is getting the most coverage.
    So now we're at the stage where the words violent and protest are now automatically associated with each other; granted partly due to violent protesters, but also sometimes due to military style clamp-downs and intimidation and resultant reportage by MSM.

The association is also on the side of many would be protestors also. There seems to be a culture in certain movements for which a brick through the window of a McDonalds is all part of the day out.
    As Gore Vidal said, "to keep information from the public is the function of the corporate media."

I think Mr Vidal ignored the fact that the media's job is to sell copy. His publishers are reluctant to publish some of his work because the reaction to it would more likely be against the publishers and Vidal than it would be to the government.

studiorat wrote: »
    What are their issues? The media has speculated on them but nothing concrete has come out at all.

I suppose the issue is the massive transfer of wealth that has occured during the noughties, the destruction of the US economy, the bailouts, the complete stranglehold that Wall St has had on govt policy at the expense of the working man. All that business.
    And in the same way, the macing of the two girls has become the story from both OWS' media publicity. Compared to the issues the protestors are trying to raise, the police brutality story is getting the most coverage.

It is unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Granted it was reported on, just like the G20 anti-globalisation protests, or the anti-capitalist protests in Greece or the million-strong anti-Iraq war march.
    It was reported on, but was it "covered"?

It was reported on just like most protests are; very deceptively.

Why are you comparing a protest of a few hundred people with a protest of 1.5 million (London)?

I am a big supporter of protest but in fairness I found dozens of recent Chinese and Indian protests that weren't reported as heavily as this one (they weren't even mentioned in mainstream news only local), but I'm not going to start a OMG MedIA BalckuoT Polcie Burtlaity thread on each one.

As for the message it just seemed far too varied, probably better to stick to one stronger message e.g. end the wars, regulate the banks, save water dilute it, etc

More good news for occupy wall st.

A Massive Union Just Voted To Side With The Wall Street Protesters
    According to Daily Kos, The New York Transit Workers Union (TWU) voted to support the Wall Street Protestors at their meeting last night. A member of TWU Local 100 told a reporter that they would join the protest Friday at 4PM.
    Here's more about them from their website:
    The TWU has four main divisions: Railroad; Gaming; Airline; Transit; and Utility, University and Service. The Union has 114 autonomous locals representing over 200,000 members and retirees in 22 states around the country.
    Occupy Wall Street has been picking up some decent support from unions in the past few days. Yesterday we reported that the Teamsters Union declared their support for protestors, and we also found out that the United Pilots Union had members at the protest demonstrating in uniform.

• Advertisement

Good stuff. The teamsters must be reading Boards then?

Good stuff. The teamsters must be reading Boards then?

Yeah, thanks for your support lads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

I really hope the so called Arab spring is coming to the US of A. With the imminent explosion of Ron Paul revolution for 2012, this coming year will be a huge turning point for the US and the rest of the Planet. With Obama being exposed as just another banker/federal reserve puppet and a fraud we are in very Interesting times.. It might be wise for cops and military to very carefully choose what side they are on.. Real constitutional Freedom or 1984 style TSA groping tyranny..

Uuuh Patsy wrote: »
    With the imminent explosion of Ron Paul revolution for 2008 2012

Ron Paul revolution my ass.

There is no way on earth he'll get the republican nomination, let alone become president. And while I would like him to be president simply to watch him fail to do anything, there is simply zero chance for Ron Paul to achieve anything on the scale his supporters imagine.

Source

So they have finally come up with a Declaration! And a list of 22 grievances/facts...

I am watching the Live Stream, they are all reading this Declaration aloud...LIVE!

Definitely check out the SOURCE for the full document
    As one people, formerly… divided by the color of our skin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or lack thereof, political party and cultural background, we acknowledge the reality: that there is only one race, the human race, and our survival requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their brethren; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.

Heres a snippet of the first 5 Grievances.

1. They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.
    2. They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give CEO’s exorbitant bonuses.
    3. They have perpetuated gender inequality and discrimination in the workplace.
    4. They have poisoned the food supply, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
    5. They have continuously sought to end the rights of workers to negotiate their pay and make complaints about the safety of their workplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

Ron Paul revolution my ass.

There is no way on earth he'll get the republican nomination, let alone become president. And while I would like him to be president simply to watch him fail to do anything, there is simply zero chance for Ron Paul to achieve anything on the scale his supporters imagine.

Polls suggest otherwise unless you have been watching too much foxnews.. He wont need the republican nomination. Hes using them as a free platform .. He will run independent and wipe the floor with those two corporate lackey Goldman Sachs employees Obama and Romney.. Real change is coming and there are a lot of people going to be upset..

Polls suggest otherwise unless you have been watching too much foxnews.. He wont need the republican nomination.

Yes, he will.
    Running as an independent is a waste of time in the US presidential race, so he needs to be the republican candidate for 2012 if he intends to do anything.
    That's why there is an (R) after his name.
    And yeah, he did well in Iowa, polling second - which places him in such illustrious company as bob dole, Phil Gramm, Steve Forbes and Mike Huckabee.
    In fact the only time the Iowa straw poll has picked an eventual president was George W bush.
    So, yeah, we'll see how well he does, but I am confident will will never see a president Ron Paul.

.. He will run independent and wipe the floor with those two corporate lackey Goldman Sachs employees Obama and Romney.. Real change is coming and there are a lot of people going to be upset..

If he runs independent, he won't achieve shit, his libertarian nonsense will stop him from getting the republican nomination - possibly the only decent thing the modern republican party will ever do - so we can look forward to a repeat of the 'real change' of his 2008 campaign.

Yes, he will.
    Running as an independent is a waste of time in the US presidential race, so he needs to be the republican candidate for 2012 if he intends to do anything.
    That's why there is an (R) after his name.
    And yeah, he did well in Iowa, polling second - which places him in such illustrious company as bob dole, Phil Gramm, Steve Forbes and Mike Huckabee.
    In fact the only time the Iowa straw poll has picked an eventual president was George W bush.
    So, yeah, we'll see how well he does, but I am confident will will never see a president Ron Paul.

If he runs independent, he won't achieve shit, his libertarian nonsense will stop him from getting the republican nomination - possibly the only decent thing the modern republican party will ever do - so we can look forward to a repeat of the 'real change' of his 2008 campaign.

WRONG.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

OK people, there's a thread in After Hours to discuss the protest: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056407152

This thread is to discuss any media blackout so please stick to that topic.

• Advertisement

Something that has struck me is the contrasts between the Occupy Wall St. people and the Tea Party, their similarities and differences.

Particularly in terms of the media coverage afforded them, their treatment by the establishment and the messages they are bringing.

Advertisement