Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egret 3 Candy Cab

Options
  • 23-08-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭

Well, It's been a long long wait but it arrived today :D

dsc4852.jpgdsc4855j.jpg

dsc4869.jpgdsc4892d.jpg
    dsc4893.jpg
    dsc4862.jpgdsc4863c.jpg

dsc4898m.jpg
    dsc4899h.jpgdsc4900h.jpg
    dsc4901v.jpgdsc4904g.jpg
    dsc4911.jpgdsc4927n.jpg

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Congrats dude. Looking forward to the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Congrats dude. Looking forward to the pics.

Cheers, put up a few more there.

It was a beeyach to get inside as its a heavy yolk and the delivery guy fecked off and I was on my own. Got it in though and those wheels on it were a life saver.

Still needs a mega clean and a lot of restoring but I'll get there.

Main prob at the moment is getting the screen setup properly as the geometry is off on it, by a fair bit.

I also need to get that 6 button control panel but that's in the works already.

Looks pretty good to me dude, main thing is it arrived and is up and running. That reminds me I must put back on that little metal shield over the coin actuator.
    I'm curious about the pic up top - did it not come with some more protection covering the screen other than the cardboard sheets?

Looks pretty good to me dude, main thing is it arrived and is up and running. That reminds me I must put back on that little metal shield over the coin actuator.
    I'm curious about the pic up top - did it not come with some more protection covering the screen other than the cardboard sheets?

That's all the protection it had, apart from the outer box that was strapped to the pallet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭RedXIV

:( i want one now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Looks very nice. Where did you get it from?

Steve SI wrote: »
    That's all the protection it had, apart from the outer box that was strapped to the pallet :eek:

Holy crap!

Just curious, what make is the PSU in that and does the power cable going from it into your step down have the 3rd prong for ground still attached?

LoGiE wrote: »
    Looks very nice. Where did you get it from?

Got it from Ronnie in the Netherlands.
    Holy crap!

Just curious, what make is the PSU in that and does the power cable going from it into your step down have the 3rd prong for ground still attached?

The PSU is a Wei-Ya P271:

dsc4908.jpg

And it does have the 3 prong plug going into the step down.

More pics added to the first post as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Does the MVS yolk come with it? I'm trying my hardest to get the ball and chain to allow me to buy a cab!

I'm curious though if you can hook a PC Engine up to one? Would be amazing if you can.

Cabs I'm looking at are the New Astro City and Konami Windy II. So long as I can rotate the screen I'd be happy out.

Very nice cab though you have, congratulations again, she's a beauty!

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Does the MVS yolk come with it? I'm trying my hardest to get the ball and chain to allow me to buy a cab!

I'm curious though if you can hook a PC Engine up to one? Would be amazing if you can.

Cabs I'm looking at are the New Astro City and Konami Windy II. So long as I can rotate the screen I'd be happy out.

Very nice cab though you have, congratulations again, she's a beauty!

The MVS wouldn't come with them normally, I think Steve picked it up from http://www.starcab.net/. As for the PCE to cab, this SCART to BNC Breakout Board should let you connect the PCE scart to the arcade monitor VGA I think? You might also want to look into an Egret 2 as they have a handy monitor rotate mechanism.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I got my MVS from Starcab alright.

I must say I am happy with the cab and it comes with everything, even a coin box alarm thingy and a fully functioning 100 yen coin mech/chute.
    I've ordered a 1 euro and also a 20 cent coin mech anyway just to have as you can just swap the main mech part out in about 10 seconds.

My only prob with it is the monitor geometry is all wrong. Ronnie got me a brand new monitor chassis and set it up but it doesnt look right at all.

I've tried a few different things on it but it just wont come right for me.

You can see what I'm on about in the picture below.

dsc4920f.jpg

Anyone have any ideas. The only pot i seem to have access to is the pincushion on and that doesn't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭geotrig

A mvs board will set up back 40ish quid !
    tbh i'm not too familiar with PcEngine outputs but nealry anything can be hooked up to a cab
    A Trisync cab is better if you are going the console to cab route ,so that would be a windy 2 ,blast city or egret3 , you can forget the windy 2 as there is not many of these around ,even though they are a great cab.
    Egret 2 and new astro city are low res cabs so you need a down scaler to run consoles on these ,the rotate mech is handy in a E2 but again tbh it still a pain in the arse to move the bezel !

Yeah, I got my MVS from Starcab alright.

I must say I am happy with the cab and it comes with everything, even a coin box alarm thingy and a fully functioning 100 yen coin mech/chute.
    I've ordered a 1 euro and also a 20 cent coin mech anyway just to have as you can just swap the main mech part out in about 10 seconds.

My only prob with it is the monitor geometry is all wrong. Ronnie got me a brand new monitor chassis and set it up but it doesnt look right at all.

I've tried a few different things on it but it just wont come right for me.

You can see what I'm on about in the picture below.

dsc4920f.jpg

Anyone have any ideas. The only pot i seem to have access to is the pincushion on and that doesn't fix it.

is there any more pots just under the monitor area ? or normally in where the test switch is ?you are looking for vr4 etc for the trap probably on the pcb for the monitor
    make it inot a small size first adn then start expanding it out slowly,unfortunatly e3 are very hard get the geometry perfect if by adjusting the pots you still get teh same get some magnet strip and place around where it is wrong and it should help!

geotrig wrote: »
    is there any more pots just under the monitor area ? or normally in where the test switch is ?
    make it inot a small size first adn then start expanding it out slowly

I took a few pics that might show you what I have:

I think these are just for colour control
    dsc4923n.jpg

dsc4924j.jpg

dsc4926h.jpg

yeah they are mainly focus and colour gains a the back of the guns ,have you adjusted anything outside of the pin cushion ? the speakers play havoc with e3's in general as well
    when the hood is up is it the very same?
    the trapaz is on the main board (on the tray)somewhere near the middle iirc!

geotrig wrote: »
    yeah they are mainly focus and colour gains a the back of the guns ,have you adjusted anything outside of the pin cushion ? the speakers play havoc with e3's in general as well
    when the hood is up is it the very same?
    the trapaz is on the main board (on the tray)somewhere near the middle iirc!

Just the pin cushion. The prob stays the same with the hood open or closed. Or if i bang on the cab it stays the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭ondafly

looks to be the same monitor as mine ? is it a Robotron ? I believe there are more pots on the board directly below the flyback - be v.careful though !

ondafly wrote: »
    looks to be the same monitor as mine ? is it a Robotron ? I believe there are more pots on the board directly below the flyback - be v.careful though !
    Samsung/Wei-Ya monitor and a new robotron chassis.

I've fiddled with a few of the pots on the board and its a good bit better now. Still not perfect but getting there.

Little and large:

dsc4943d.jpg

Is that Ketsui you're playing?

• Advertisement

Is that Ketsui you're playing?

Last Blade 2 on the Candy and Warblade HD on the iCade.

Ah OK, never played either. This should cheer things up though. :D

Ah OK, never played either. This should cheer things up though. :D

You should check out warblade on the iPad.

Looks very good, only 79c too! Thanks for the heads up, another one to add to my iPad SHMUPS collection.

Ok, So ronnie got back to me about the geometry issue and just said contact the guys a giz10p.co.uk to see what they say as thats were he got the new chassis.

I must say at the moment I wouldn't recommend ronnie at all as I have this issue with the monitor and he put the wrong control panel on the cab as well.

He always just seems to busy to help you or answer questions via email as well. I mean I paid

I have an order for a few more cabs that might be going elsewhere. Perhaps someone else on Arcade Otaku.

Ok, So ronnie got back to me about the geometry issue and just said contact the guys a giz10p.co.uk to see what they say as thats were he got the new chassis.

I must say at the moment I wouldn't recommend ronnie at all as I have this issue with the monitor and he put the wrong control panel on the cab as well.

He always just seems to busy to help you or answer questions via email as well. I mean I paid

I have an order for a few more cabs that might be going elsewhere. Perhaps someone else on Arcade Otaku.

I'm keeping an eye on your thread over there too, very interested to see how this one turns out.

In one sense I wasn't surprised you had some teething troubles with a new cab, it seems everyone does at one point or another, esp since yours travelled so far too. But it seems it's not something simple like adjusting pots or voltages, and if the problem is being caused by incorrect parts fitted or something like that then that's a different story. Does put a bit of a downer on the whole situation.

The bit about being too busy to answer questions or provide support would be a major negative point in dealing with someone in my book - it's a fair bit of money involved with these things.

Hopefully it gets sorted soon and doesn't cost you anything extra.

I'm keeping an eye on your thread over there too, very interested to see how this one turns out.

In one sense I wasn't surprised you had some teething troubles with a new cab, it seems everyone does at one point or another, esp since yours travelled so far too. But it seems it's not something simple like adjusting pots or voltages, and if the problem is being caused by incorrect parts fitted or something like that then that's a different story. Does put a bit of a downer on the whole situation.

The bit about being too busy to answer questions or provide support would be a major negative point in dealing with someone in my book - it's a fair bit of money involved with these things.

Hopefully it gets sorted soon and doesn't cost you anything extra.

Yeah, if I can get the geometry sorted and he doesn't try and screw me on the control panel I'd be happy enough.

Also, I'm trying to get the control panel off and its a nightmare. I want to move the cab into another room but need the panel off to fit in doors etc.

Your cab is more or less the same as mine, do you have about 5 bolts to remove to get it off? Bloody things are well stuck on :o

bloody annoying - the only negative I had with Ronnie, was it took so long for it to ship. I had the opposite though, as I got a free game, upgrade MVS and packaged so bloody well. Plus the paint was even better than the photos had suggested.
    Yeah, if I can get the geometry sorted and he doesn't try and screw me on the control panel I'd be happy enough.

Also, I'm trying to get the control panel off and its a nightmare. I want to move the cab into another room but need the panel off to fit in doors etc.

Your cab is more or less the same as mine, do you have about 5 bolts to remove to get it off? Bloody things are well stuck on :o

Are they bolts or screws ? reason I ask, if screws, they are JPN standard, and you either need a bloody good screw driver and a specific JPN standard one. I shattered the head on a fairly decent screwdriver, that wasn't up to the JPN standard. Ended up having to use a Tenq socket with screwdriver adapter

ondafly wrote: »
    bloody annoying - the only negative I had with Ronnie, was it took so long for it to ship. I had the opposite though, as I got a free game, upgrade MVS and packaged so bloody well. Plus the paint was even better than the photos had suggested.

Are they bolts or screws ? reason I ask, if screws, they are JPN standard, and you either need a bloody good screw driver and a specific JPN standard one. I shattered the head on a fairly decent screwdriver, that wasn't up to the JPN standard. Ended up having to use a Tenq socket with screwdriver adapter

They are bolts and feckin well on there. I'll leave it for the moment and buy some proper tools at the weekend. What I have just wont do it.

• Advertisement

off to B&Q and pickup a Teng socket set, will last a lifetime too. They have a nice supply there, and all the different sets also, expensive but worth it. My own set is going strong over 8 years now.

Btw another thing, if you do see any bolts/screws, you can identify them as JPN standard, if they have a little dot on the head of them.

Advertisement