Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭merc3ps

This is my 1983 Tokima Digirobo. These are quite rare. It is on a replacement strap as the originals went brittle. I do not have the original box either. This gets alot of attention.

P1020239.jpg

P1020240.jpg

P1020243.jpg

P1020245.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

merc3ps wrote: »
    This is my 1983 Tokima Digirobo. These are quite rare. It is on a replacement strap as the originals went brittle. I do not have the original box either. This gets alot of attention.

P1020245.jpg

That's awesome.

This is my late 90's Tokima Digirobo reproduction. It is larger, has a dot matrix screen and lots more functions, including 800 scrolling/moving messages (mostly in Japanese). You can program in a name and date of birth too. These were made in China and come in varying styles (most bigger than this) whereas the originals were made in Japan.

I have two of them. One is slightly used. I bring this one out and let my kids use it at parties etc. I have another one that is unused and still in protective wrapping etc.

P1020249.jpg

P1020253.jpg

P1020255.jpg

P1020257.jpg

P1020262.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Those are very cool. Trust the Japanese to make watch robots.

This is my late 50's Omega Seamaster. I was recently given this by my father. He got it as a present in the mid 60's. It has never been serviced and yet it is keeping time perfectly. I have stopped using it until I get it serviced, which I aim to do myself (but I need alot more practice). It also has the linen dial, which is quite unusual.

dial.jpg

• Advertisement

This is my 1975 Citizen Automatic Chronograph (Octagonal). The octagonal shape is more rare, and the green dial is rare too, especially in this condition. The watch and chrono function very well and all reset properly. The bracelet is a modern replacement but matches well. The case/caseback/dial/hands/movement are all original, which is important to me as these watches are prime candidates for frankenwatches.

CitChrono02.jpg

CitChrono01.jpg

CitChrono03.jpg

I got this 1980's Citizen DQ-5438 at a watch fair last week for < €20 and put a rubber strap on it. It is barely marked, but the case back has been put on upside down. At least it shows it was used. Must get new pics as there is dust on it in this one.

CIMG1736.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

I got this 1980's Citizen DQ-5438 at a watch fair last week for < €20 and put a rubber strap on it. It is barely marked, but the case back has been put on upside down. At least it shows it was used. Must get new pics as there is dust on it in this one.

CIMG1736.jpg

On these watches usually there is a little "spring" that protrudes from the movement and contacts a piezo speaker that is basically stuck to the underside of the caseback.
    Sometimes the casebacks on these are put on upside down because over time, and if the back has been on and off a few times, the "speaker" for the alarm wears and putting the back on upside down gives it a new lease of life because the "spring" will contact a different point on the speaker, or maybe it was just put on upside down by mistake...worth having a listen to it before and after you switch it around to see if there is a difference.
    Those coloured LCDs were all the rage in the day, I think I had that very model at one point

marcus1971 wrote: »
    On these watches usually there is a little "spring" that protrudes from the movement and contacts a piezo speaker that is basically stuck to the underside of the caseback.

Thank you for that valuable information!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

quarryman wrote: »
    Ordered a beautiful Stowa Antea last week, it'll take a couple of months to arrive.
    Incase your not aware, you can now if you like have the rotar engraved for a price, this would seriously diminish the re-sale value of it obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

P1020257.jpg
    Those two are absolutely bonkers; well done!

Thank you for that valuable information!

I tested the alarm and it was not working.
    Turned the caseback around and all is 100% now :)
    That's probably the reason it was disposed of!

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Isla Mammoth Curb

Ok, forgive the quality of the photos - one is over twenty years old and the other is taken with a camera phone..

First shows me wearing my Casio G-Shock DW5700 in Lebanon way back in 1988..forgive the hair cut, it actually looked good back in '88 :P

martinleb88h_edited.jpg

This one show's a Citizen Eco-Drive, but the Casio front & centre is my original G-Shock shown in the first photo - still on its original strap and batteries!.. Going to replace the strap with a Nato strap shortly..

watches.jpg
    And the other G-Shock is a G300ML-A1 which I got last week.

Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd throw in some history with the G-Shock DW5700.

Both myself and the old G-Shock are still serving!.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Great pics. :) Great group shot with a camera phone too. We'll ignore the apparently ginger hair and just say it was a trick of the Lebanese light.... :D You can't beat the g shock when it comes to sheer ruggedness. No wonder it's the watch of choice of a helluva lot of military guys out there.

I can say from personal experience that some of the more recent "military spec" issued watches are not so hot in that regard. The US ones anyway. I've read the contract specs and the tests they have to undergo and still I was very underwhelmed. I've had brand new marathons and stocker and yale issued ones and both failed in under a year. The crown came clean off the latter and one of the hands fell off the former and then the quartz movement gave up the ghost. And I'm hardly putting them through the mill. I used to wear them fishing.

Lord alone knows how long they'd last if I was firing a weapon wearing one. I do know a chap with a military background who told me of a time on the range when an officer bloke showed up showing off his new heavy duty Rolex. Lots of ooohs and ahhhs from everyone. He fired off a few clips from some automatic weapon(which type escapes me) and when finished found the hands had detached and were swimming around under the glass. Needless to say he took some stick for that, though fair play he saw the funny side himself. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

If anybody was doubting the G-Shock durability, click on this page and convince yourself.

I don't own a G-Shock mysely, but a Pro Trek, which is close enough in durability terms.

Casio%252520PRW%2525201500T%252520002.jpg

Watches%25252009.jpg

My wife owns a Baby-G, the white and blue one, and she couldn't be more happier with it as she is very hard on the watches but this one is still in one piece :D, while the black one I gave it to my nephew:

Baby%252520G%252527s%252520001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

peasant wrote: »
    That would most likely make it a Komandirskie (handwind).
    Check out watchuseek, they've got a whole forum for Russian watches and there's lots of info about Vostok Amphibias and Komandirskies

Hi Peasant ,

I found a link with a little info , http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/rodin/490/mili-wa.htm

Here's my watch -
    169044.jpg
    The description on that site says -
    "This is a new model, made since 1993 with the image of the Russian double-headed eagle and a Kosakm the inscription "Esaulskie" is a rank in the Kosak Army."

I'll do some more digging around and see what else I can find out.
    EDIT -
    I found an ebay auction with good pics , although my caseback is slightly different .
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/SOVIET-VOSTOK-KOMANDIRSKIE-MILITARY-WATCH-ESAULSKIE-/360368025702

A Breitling Headwind is my daily wearer , the pics below are not mine , I don't have any decent ones I've taken myself .

169049.jpg

169048.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Old......
    Get-Casio-SGW100-Review-5db9a.jpg

New......
    m_1309785314_289.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Slim Jim has arrived:

169278.jpg169279.jpg

What a cracker of a watch!

Unfortunately, it also has a crack in the crystal :mad: so words with the seller must be had

169280.jpg

EDIT:
    The seller has just given me a partial refund ...happy camper now.
    Now to find that replacement crystal.

Edit no 2 ...trying to do this dial some photographic justice
    169310.jpg

with a new, crack and smudge free crystal this should be just brilliant ...in the true sense of the word.

Edit no 3
    to include a picture of the movement. At one time, the slimmest movement ...in the world. (2.6 mm thick)
    484879d1312366061-almost-twins-two-black-gold-sekonda-de-luxe-vympels-slimjim-029-small-.jpg

...and the next new arrival ...the Raketa "Domino"

169483.jpg169480.jpg
    169481.jpg169482.jpg

What a lovely, clean and contemporary design. Looks more like a Swatch than something designed and made in the early nineties, on the deathbed of the Soviet Union.

The day indicator (the red dot) that moves from 1 to 7 is just fun!

Currently on a grey Nato strap which I find suits it pretty well. Might try to find something similar, less NATO perhaps.

For the techies:
    Raketa handwind movement 2628 h with a quick date-set by pulling the crown fully out.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Two new arrivals to share!

Ive bought the tag to be an every day suit watch, a brief it fulfills very well being nice and slim, currently its on an oem rally with deployant but ive a few brown straps to try!

the gmt2c is my first rolly and a 30th pressie from my lovely wife, its a keeper!

P1010481Medium.jpg
    P1010485Medium.jpg
    P1010487Medium.jpg
    P1010491Medium.jpg
    P1010494Medium.jpg

Cyrus what can you tell me about that Twin Time? Looks fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

alas it is gone now :D what would you like to know?

they are a lovely watch, 39mm in diameter but wear nicely, perfect work watch imo

I had not come across this model before. I did a quick search on it and see it comes in a number of colours. Just a very nice simple design.

BTW that Sub looks fantastic too. I am leaning on that watch for my 40th (wife paying:D). I've gone from Carerra Day & Date, to Monaco Calibre 12, to Monaco LS and now on the Sub. Decisions decisions. Since I already own two Tags already the Sub is looking more likely although I would also love the IWC Portugese.

I've just realised that I've never properly introduced the watch that started it all ...my Orient:

169771.jpg169772.jpg
    169773.jpg169774.jpg

It is a very well made watch (especially when you consider its price!) with a beautifully textured dial, rich in detail. Nice, classical shape with domed mineral crystal and a power reserve complication !

It started it all in two ways ...it was my first new watch in a long time (hadn't worn a watch at all for years) and my first mechanical watch that I can remember (I think I had something windy-uppy as kid?)

But it also is a very Japanese watch. It has everything you could want ...and more ...considering its price. It is well made, it works flawlessly. But somehow it is a bit like a Toyota Coralla ...it lacks charm :D

So, I blame this beautiful but cold Orient for all the subsequent watches that I've bought :D

That's a beauty P. I'd love to see that on a leather strap.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    That's a beauty P. I'd love to see that on a leather strap.

Someday perhaps ...I quite like bracelets from a how they wear point of view and this one isn't half bad.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I had not come across this model before. I did a quick search on it and see it comes in a number of colours. Just a very nice simple design.

BTW that Sub looks fantastic too. I am leaning on that watch for my 40th (wife paying:D). I've gone from Carerra Day & Date, to Monaco Calibre 12, to Monaco LS and now on the Sub. Decisions decisions. Since I already own two Tags already the Sub is looking more likely although I would also love the IWC Portugese.

yep it was the wv2116 i think i had.

Thats not a sub ;) its the GMT2 with ceramic bezel, altho the new ceramic bezelled sub is not dissimilar.

I have an iwc portuguese too, it seems we share similar taste :D

I'd love to see a picture if you get a chance. Your earlier pictures seem to have been removed.

pics arent wonderful sorry!

P1010508.jpg

P1010511.jpg

Such a beautifully understated design. Just love the blue hands. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Did you pick this up locally? Isn't Sheerans the only store selling these here in Ireland?

• Advertisement

yep sheerans are the only irish AD, i actually bought mine through watchfinder.co.uk (who sourced me a brand new one from a german AD).

i got a 18% discount and the sterling rate was favourable at the time :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement