Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan will allow 16-year-olds to buy condoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Injecting Cocaine?? Is that all the rage now??

The fact that normal people know that it isn't is a bad sign in itself.

Heroin, cocaine, whatever......I couldn't give a crap how it's taken and I don't really want to know because I'm not that anxious to appear "cool" and "with it" if that involves being au fait with what idiots do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

I thought the pharmacies were obliged to give anyone them? Ive been buying since 14?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sprrratt wrote: »
    I thought the pharmacies were obliged to give anyone them? Ive been buying since 14?

lol you divil

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Aren't they free to anyone in family planning clinics or is that just in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Morgan Freeman

Back in my day there was no easy way around it.

I fondly remember the summer of '48. There was a heat wave across the southern states; capable of melting the asphalt on the highway roads.

There was a girl name Layla over on the Mosley plantation, a fine lady with child bearing hips and a smile that warmed the shadows.

We made love one afternoon over by the creek banking onto the Watton farm. A euphoric moment in my young life. I thrusted like a steed and we talked for hours.

9 months later I realised I hadn't seen Layla in quite some time. I'd pass her by usually at the plantation while I delivered chicken wire for farmers.

I got speaking to a fellow named Gorman, a white man. He said that Layla had packed up and taken off one evening, with a child under her arm. Headed for the city as far as I know.

And that was that.

I am still alive and well. Mating does not mean the end of the world, it spurs on the growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Won't this basically collide with the new proposed child protection legislation?

As in, it's a criminal offence not to pass on any details of child sexual abuse to the gardai.
    BUT it is also illegal to have sex below the age of 17 - anyone who does so is automatically guilty of statutory rape and made sign the sexual offenders register?

So, as a pharmacist who sells condoms to someone they suspect not to be of legal age must, by law, report this to the gardai, they're pretty much criminalising the sale of condoms - by legalising it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

krudler wrote: »
    condoms were illegal to sell outside chemists in this country up until 1992, thats just batsh1t insane, and completely illegal before 1978 they had to be prescribed by a doctor and only to married couples.

there should be condom machines in secondary schools, teenagers have sex, always have, always will, better they have easy access to them and reduce the risk of unwanted pregnancies and std's than offending parents and the moral brigade
    :D I moved to England in 92, before the law changed, and I broke the first condom machine I found in the student res loo from over use. I was amazed by it! Not the first condoms I'd ever aquired, but the first time I'd used a dispenser of same. I couldn't believe my eyes. I don't know what I expected it to look like, but I wasn't expecting it to be so non-descript, like a tampax machine. I kept feeding it with change til it jammed. I wouldnt mind but i didnt need the bloody things at all. I think I was enjoying the sense of freedom and being allowed to get them when i wanted, where i wanted. The english thought i was mad. Seems pathetic now but it just goes to show how f**king needlessly controlled we were.

Not sure how putting them in schools would go down, though. Maybe we could replace the holy staues with em after the changeover from church control?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

How many teenage males know if they are underage and have sex with their underage girlfriend,if they got caught,only male will get charged :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Government has no right in making this decision without first getting approval from the Catholic Church. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

irish-stew wrote: »
    Aren't they free to anyone in family planning clinics or is that just in the UK?

That is only in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Article is not about condoms. It's about hormonal and other forms of contraception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Back in my day there was no easy way around it..

WTF :confused:

So you have some b@stard child running around out there? Will they get the Morgan millions?

And did you ask colour the baba was? Could have been that white buck Gorman that got her blocked :pac:
    God be with the days an oul hand shandy would have done

Ever heard of a posh w@nk?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

bleg wrote: »
    Article is not about condoms. It's about hormonal and other forms of contraception.

Which currently if a 16 year old says to their dr they want a prescription for the dr will give them it. Many teens see the dr themselves and pay for it or see the dr alone and the parents pay for it and the teen fills the prescription of the pill themselves with out the parents knowing.

It's a grey area which needs to be sorted out and this will do that, the age of consent laws are also currently a joke and need to be sorted out, hopefully the government will do both in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The fact that normal people know that it isn't is a bad sign in itself.

Heroin, cocaine, whatever......I couldn't give a crap how it's taken and I don't really want to know because I'm not that anxious to appear "cool" and "with it" if that involves being au fait with what idiots do.

hahahaha, this post was hilarious! For some reason I read the second part in Grandpa Simpson's voice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I remember me and my friends were GIVEN condoms at an Ireland-Cyprus match when we were 14. The pranks that were had.

I remember me and my friends were GIVEN condoms at an Ireland-Cyprus match when we were 14. The posh **** that were had.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

bleg wrote: »

Figured as much, generally age restricted items are not found in a restroom dispenser.

Other forms of contraception can have more uses than just contraceptive though, this isn't something which can or should be gotten around to suit a few prudes, if they push that line I'm willing to bet it becomes a women's rights thing, selective restriction of health products and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

I wasnt even aware that there was a minimum age, why is there even a minimum age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I wasnt even aware that there was a minimum age, why is there even a minimum age?
    It seems the holier rollers would rather see a baba under some young ones arm then a hat on a young lads jimmy.
    Adults seem to forget how retarded teenagers can be, they talk about abstinence and responsibility but fail to realize that teenage sex has being going on since Adam and Eve and doesn't look like it is ever going to go out of fashion.

People should keep in mind that kids are generally bloody stupid, we should at least try and help them protect themselves from their own mistakes, lord knows many of us committed the exact same ones at their age and barely got away with it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

It seems the holier rollers would rather see a baba under some young ones arm then a hat on a young lads jimmy.
    Adults seem to forget how retarded teenagers can be, they talk about abstinence and responsibility but fail to realize that teenage sex has being going on since Adam and Eve and doesn't look like it is ever going to go out of fashion.

Remember kids are generally bloody stupid, we should at least try and help them protect themselves from their own mistakes, lord knows many of us committed the exact same ones at their age and barely got away with it :confused:

The best part is your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Rippy wrote: »
    I was not aware there was a minimum age for buying condoms.
    They should be available to anyone having sex regardless of age .
    I would prefer 14 or 15 year olds buying and using condoms rather than risking pregnancy and STIs.

statistically speaking, 1 in 7 women have an STD... since all women are sluts from 16 onwards...

You wont need a condom at 14/15

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

De-regulate condoms immediately, having any sort of restriction on them has no benefit to society at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I never even knew it was illegal to get them under 17 tbh...

they should be available to anyone regardless of age.. this isn't holy Catholic Ireland anymore and times have changed.... young people have sex and are going to have sex...

making it legal to buy condoms isn't going to change how many people have sex... for say a 15 year old lad the hard part is trying to get a girl to have sex - not getting a condom... if it's made harder for him to find condoms he's still gonna chat that girl up and try to ride her regardless except now he might just get her pregnant or get an STI.... and that socially awkward kid is still not going to get the ride even if he buys 100 condoms a day :pac: so having the ability to buy condoms isn't going to cause problems... lads who are trying to get the ride will be able to get a condom someway regardless....

this isn't like drinking or smoking... if the teenager can't buy alcohol he can't get drunk or if they can't buy smokes they can't smoke.... if they can't buy condoms that won't stop them having the ability to have sex....
    makes sense to me anyways.... but of course this is Ireland so I expect the law to be changed alright but now you'll have to be 21 to buy condoms.. :rolleyes: just to keep the Joe Duffy callers happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭innovation.

Do people think people who aren't legally allowed to purchase condoms don't use them? I'm 16 and I've had sex 6 times already (not that I'm proud of it :p). But whenever I have, I've made sure I've had a condom. It only takes one friend to go in to the likes of boots - steal a box of them then give you one. Maybe not the most convenient, but if it prevents me from an STD, I'm not complaining. So just because we aren't allowed to legally purchase them doesn't mean we don't, teenagers aren't as stupid as we are perceived to be. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

This kinda reminds me of when our college was giving out free condoms, family member went mad, couldnt believe it lol

Do people think people who aren't legally allowed to purchase condoms don't use them? I'm 16 and I've had sex 6 times already (not that I'm proud of it :p). But whenever I have, I've made sure I've had a condom. It only takes one friend to go in to the likes of boots - steal a box of them then give you one. Maybe not the most convenient, but if it prevents me from an STD, I'm not complaining. So just because we aren't allowed to legally purchase them doesn't mean we don't, teenagers aren't as stupid as we are perceived to be. :pac:

He steals johnnies and then gives you one? I hope he steals lube too!

Anyway, I seriously don't think there would be a phamracy worker around who would refuse condoms to a teenager! It's completely irresponsible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Nowhere near it.

I'm just saying that the correct way to bring up kids is to make them mature and independent and confident enough to say "no, f**k off".

Reality is over here buddy, there are few single(;)) men of any age that will turn down sex, expecting a 15/16 year old to do it is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

You needed to be 18 to buy condoms? :confused:

News to me. I can't remember ever hearing someone being asked for ID when they wanted condoms for safe sex and preventing STD's....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

A few of my friends would have gotten the morning after pill at 16/17 no problem.

Many the time's a load of us would arrive in with said friend to the doctors surgery school uniforms on and all and wait till they came out.

I'm pretty sure it was a young GP that everyone went to. Thank heavens they didn't mind giving them out.

Tis hard buying condoms in a small town. Most of the time one of your parents/siblings friends is the one selling them to you.

Thank god I feared babies more than embarrassment though. I can't ever remember being ID'd...

Ha I just remembered. One of my friends at 15 needed a pregnancy test and we had to come to Dublin for the day to get it, we were too afraid to buy it back home. The fecking bitch sent me and my boyfriend at the time into get it. We walked in hand in hand, two really rocker looking teenagers and he asked for it in a way that you'd swear he was doing an impression of Alan Partridge. Really loud... and the whole shop could hear..

"CAN WE HAVE ONE PREGNANCY TEST PLEASE?!".

She did it in the toilets of the savoy. There was no baby... well not until she hit 18.... Its good when posh kids who's parents think they are the bee's knee's get pregnant especially when you've grown to hate them and they are not your friend any more.

There was absolutely no level of concern or thought put into actually telling kids that holding off on having sex was a damn good idea until they were mature enough to handle it

Not if you bring them up right to have their own mind and not be an idiotic prat when it comes to peer pressure.
    Are you male? And do you remember being 15? I don't know about you, but no amount of "hold off until you're mature enough" would have prevented me from jumping at the possibility of sex had it presented itself.

I didn't want sex because of peer pressure or because of teenage angst or to get back at my parents or any of that nonsense. I wanted sex because my body was swimming with hormones and I was horny, constantly. Granted, I probably would have been scared sh*tless if it was actually offered to me, but I wouldn't have fretted over whether or not it was a good idea. It's always a good idea when you're 15.

And at 14/15/16/17 when the two possible outcomes are, "Do what your hormones say" or "Do what your parents advise", well sorry Ma and Da, but the hormones are going to win every time.

I still find it so bizarre that anyone still thinks that sitting teenagers down and talking to them about sex is going to convince them to not do it. They want to do it. And although the majority of them don't actually manage to get any until they're legal (the average age in western countries is 16-18 and generally hasn't dipped below that), that doesn't mean they won't spend half their time trying to find it.