Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Joeyde

I tried search thread and poked through a few pages so apologies is this is already covered.

I have a 405 and I downloaded the ANT and connect package. I installed it and when I plug in the ANT I hear the "ding" indicating its recognised by the comp but the ANT software wont recognise it.

A quick search suggests updating drivers in safe mode but its freezing.

Any suggestions? I have XP SP3.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Hi Krusty. Thanks for your help.

I've just downloaded the drivers again and the Forerunner is now connecting OK to Training Centre. Can't see what I did differently.

The Nuvi still isn't recognised :(.
    Hi RedJeep!, if you had a browser open, the Communicator plugin may not have installed correctly. For the nuvi, best to update the drivers using Web Updater.

Joeyde wrote: »
    I tried search thread and poked through a few pages so apologies is this is already covered.

I have a 405 and I downloaded the ANT and connect package. I installed it and when I plug in the ANT I hear the "ding" indicating its recognised by the comp but the ANT software wont recognise it.

A quick search suggests updating drivers in safe mode but its freezing.

Any suggestions? I have XP SP3.

Thanks
    Are you sure you have the ANT stick plugged into the same USB port that you had it plugged into when you installed the drivers? Did it work previously?

Did it work previously?

Literally just picked it up off a guy today. I can see it in the USB folder under device manager so Im presuming it is in some working order..Ill call him tomorrow to see if he used this ANT stick before as I know he has a 305 as well and may have used that one.
    Are you sure you have the ANT stick plugged into the same USB port that you had it plugged into when you installed the drivers?

no tbh. I kept pulling it in and out so it may have been a different port, cant be sure (cant think of a better way to put that :rolleyes:) Ive been looking it up and there seems to be an issue with the drivers and XP but when I try to update the drivers in safe mode as suggested (seems other people have had this problem) it just crashes.

I deleted the software, put the ANT in the USB, then went to update drivers (tried both the automatic and selecting USB drivers/I386 on two seperate occasions) and it just freezes up on me..may be going about it the wrong way, Im not familiar with drivers etc by any stretch.

Literally just picked it up off a guy today. I can see it in the USB folder under device manager so Im presuming it is in some working order..Ill call him tomorrow to see if he used this ANT stick before as I know he has a 305 as well and may have used that one.
    The 305 doesn't use an ANT stick. You shouldn't need safe mode (unless the drivers are causing your PC to crash!). Try re-installing the software without the USB stick plugged in, and only plug it in once you've been instructed.

When you say 'I deleted the software' you mean you removed it using [Add/Remove Programs], right?

• Advertisement

Never said thanks for the reply!

Try re-installing the software without the USB stick plugged in, and only plug it in once you've been instructed.

Tried that a couple times. No joy.
    When you say 'I deleted the software' you mean you removed it using [Add/Remove Programs], right?

Yes I did it that way

I was basically following this thread

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?p=88937

But with no joy..

I was basically following this thread
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?p=88937
    I was going to suggest installing the drivers in Administrator mode, but then I read that you're on XP, so ACL and all tat stuff shouldn't be an issue.
    Can you try it on another computer, just to make sure that the ANT stick is working correctly? Did you buy it new, or second hand?

Can you try it on another computer, just to make sure that the ANT stick is working correctly? Did you buy it new, or second hand?

I bought it second hand, I will try it on my GF computer tonight. She has windows 7.

I bought it second hand, I will try it on my GF computer tonight. She has windows 7.
    It's all quite messy unfortunately, but is typically down to the kludge that is Microsoft Windows paired with the kludge that is the Garmin USB drivers. On clean OS'es, I typically have not had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I dont really have a question - I just thought I would share this with you and see if it has ever happened to anyone else.

I can in from a run, took my 305 off immediately and left it on the table beside a large window. An hour later I realised that I had not hit the stop button at the end of the run. It did not say that it had lost satellite connection, but I dont know if this times out.

The 305 thought that I had moved 560m since I had put it down, so I loaded up the run onto Garmin Connect. It was mental. It had recorded that the watch has moved 560m in a mad zip zap pattern going 20m away and back at times . I assume that it could still see one or two satellites through the window and was desperately trying to make sense of the information and got very confused.

I removed the rogue lap by manually exporting the TCX file, thanks to advice here. I can't have a run with an average pace of 8min/km messing up my stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

huskerdu wrote: »

The 305 thought that I had moved 560m since I had put it down, so I loaded up the run onto Garmin Connect. It was mental. It had recorded that the watch has moved 560m in a mad zip zap pattern going 20m away and back at times .

Have you one of the new 305 that can remotely track with a telepathic link that knew you were knocking about having some grub, a shower and checking boards.ie? :)

huskerdu wrote: »
    I dont really have a question - I just thought I would share this with you and see if it has ever happened to anyone else.

I can in from a run, took my 305 off immediately and left it on the table beside a large window. An hour later I realised that I had not hit the stop button at the end of the run. It did not say that it had lost satellite connection, but I dont know if this times out.
    With an accuracy level of 5 meters (lower when you are inside) the watch could be pin-pointing your location anywhere in a circular radius of anything up to 100m (400 feet). <= A Krusty_Clown statistic with no basis on reality.

So leaving it running on a table inside your house will likely result in some movement. It's great. You can burn calories while sitting down watching TV, and clock up miles in the 1,000 mile challenge, while looking out the window!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

When my battery is less than 50% I leave it on the window sill and turn it on to let the battery drain. This session still gets uploaded to garmin training centre and can have a distance reading of a half a mile to a mile. Comes in handy for the 1000 mile challenge :D

Here's a link to one I found
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92325214

It's all quite messy unfortunately, but is typically down to the kludge that is Microsoft Windows paired with the kludge that is the Garmin USB drivers. On clean OS'es, I typically have not had any issues.

Well it must be an XP problem cause it is working perfectly on the Windows 7. Id say its a driver issue but Im just not great at sorting that kind of thing, and kept crashing. Strange this problem hasn't come up before, thought alot of people used XP SP3 in the vista days.

Thanks for the reply anyways Krusty.

Time to start clocking up the miles now...

Woddle wrote: »
    When my battery is less than 50% I leave it on the window sill and turn it on to let the battery drain. This session still gets uploaded to garmin training centre and can have a distance reading of a half a mile to a mile. Comes in handy for the 1000 mile challenge :D

Here's a link to one I found
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92325214
    Do you live in a tree-house?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Probaly an easy one.
    I have in data fields Training 1 what i want on the watch but all i have coming up on hte main screen is distance i want to run and lap pace. Any ideas ???

Probaly an easy one.
    I have in data fields Training 1 what i want on the watch but all i have coming up on hte main screen is distance i want to run and lap pace. Any ideas ???
    Howdy stranger! Garmin 405?
    Are you using a HR monitor? If so, it might be the Heart rate specific screen showing up, which has a different set of data fields. If you tap the bezel it'll run through each one of the data screens. I usually keep all of the training pages (except the one I want) switched off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/fr310update.jsp?null&ra=true

New firmware update for the 310XT. Have added per second recording, sunrise/ sunset, fixed the recovery HR not clearing, fixed distance when you go through a tunnel (bit late for Cork) and a bunch of other things as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

Hey quick question,
    When I'm changing sports say biking to running, The timer and distance resets back to zero,
    Is there a way to change but not reset this?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Hi all. I have a Garmin 405CX, which is simply an excellent tool for running. For runs, I really, really like it, highly recommend it and despite its high price, I would argue its an excellent value for a regular runner.
    However I think its use on a bike is somewhat limited, so I’m considering purchasing one of the Garmin specially for bike (I don’t do triathlon, I’m normally cycle or run, I rarely do both as part of the same event).
    I also like to use Garmin-connect, it’s a great diary log, very convenience.

So my question is this: Do anyone know if I can use two different Garmin devices on the same Garmin-connect account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

maybe try the megathread

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Am I suppose to browse through 72 webpages to see if the answer may be there already :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could use the 'search this thread' tool.
    Or just ask the question again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Am I suppose to browse through 72 webpages to see if the answer may be there already :eek:

You could try the search facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

The strap on my 405 broke yesterday, sending the watch flying and it hit the road. Result is the lap/reset button isn't working and (consequently) the watch isn't usable.

Just wondering how long do Garmin repair jobs normally take? Or would I be better off seeing if a local jeweller could fix it?

So my question is this: Do anyone know if I can use two different Garmin devices on the same Garmin-connect account?
    You can add as many as you like and even have them connected to the same ANT+ USB stick (if your new device will be ANT+). You will need to authenticate the device to your Garmin Connect account. Just pay particular attention to the prompts when authenticating your device.

plodder wrote: »
    The strap on my 405 broke yesterday, sending the watch flying and it hit the road. Result is the lap/reset button isn't working and (consequently) the watch isn't usable.

Just wondering how long do Garmin repair jobs normally take? Or would I be better off seeing if a local jeweller could fix it?
    Depends where it broke. Don't forget the GPS antenna is built into the strap, so if it's up near the face, it will likely need to go back to Garmin.

Depends where it broke. Don't forget the GPS antenna is built into the strap, so if it's up near the face, it will likely need to go back to Garmin.
    No, it was just the rubber part that came apart. It was already held together by elastic bands, so it was overdue a replacement anyway. It's the button, I'm not sure about. I think it landed on it and pushed the electric contacts in too far maybe. I guess there's no harm showing it to a jeweller first anyway. Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

I am constantly impressed by the willingness of KC to answer questions on this megathread so I was delighted to see this morning that he has managed to achieve some running success too by winning a 10km race yesterday.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411238&page=200

Well done Krusty.

• Advertisement

Wow! Well done on that!

Advertisement