Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Hi Jassha,

My friend took me to the New Millenium restaurant in Dublin and ordered a plate of deep fried soft shell crabs with loads of fried garlic. It was to die for.
    I've seen the Asia Market on Drury st. selling live soft shell crabs but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to handle them. I've also seen them frozen, which I would have no problem with. But I'm sure they don't taste the same.

Can you please give me the recipe for that particular dish?

Many thanks in advance!

Bump

... I have a frozen packet of soft shell crabs in anticipation of a recipe...

Are they easy to prepare?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Minder wrote: »
    Bump

... I have a frozen packet of soft shell crabs in anticipation of a recipe...

Are they easy to prepare?

Quick question. Do u know if the have already been cleaned. Messy job and not for the squeemish if not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I was in the Asian market and they had potato flour but it was in 3kg bags. A little bit too much for my needs.

I've seen small packs, maybe 250g or 500g, potato flour on sale in my local health food shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

dh0661 wrote: »
    I've seen small packs, maybe 250g or 500g, potato flour on sale in my local health food shop.

Are potato flour and potato starch the same thing, btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

GOOGLE TELLS ME;)

Potato Starch is a very fine flour with a bland taste, that is made by removing the potato peel, made into a slurry and watery mix, then dehydrated to form Potato Starch. The Potato Starch is not cooked, thus it does not absorb much water unless it is heated. For example, it will make an excellent gravy if heated with liquid in a saucepan.

Potato Flour is heavy with a definite potato flavor made from the actual potato including the potato skin and will absorb large amounts of water because it has been cooked and contains the peel. It is not used as main flour in baking as it would absorb too much liquid and make the product gummy. Small amounts are used to increase water, hold product together and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

jassha wrote: »
    Quick question. Do u know if the have already been cleaned. Messy job and not for the squeemish if not

Dunno - they are whole, the packaging says nothing useful.

Its the cleaning I could do with a pointer on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Thanks for all the recipes jassha, cant wait to try them.

I did work in a Chinese restaurant many moons ago and the most important thing I took away from it was the heat the woks got to cook with, hard to replicate in the Irish Kitchen.

Also can we have some more traditional recipes please, something new to cheer us up in these dark and testing times. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Personally i like to use blended sesame oil which is normally 60% sesame and 40% soya oil. find the pure stuff to rich and overpowering. And one other thing never use it for frying. ITs a condiment an an ingediant for marinades
    It doesn't say anything other than "Sesame Oil" and "Doesn't contain Amargone(sp?) Oil" on the bottle.
    It's Indian so not much else to decipher. Reading Wiki explains why it was in the hair care section!

I always use Peanut Oil when doing stirfrys.
    dh0661 wrote: »
    Probably cost as much as a 3kg bag though. :)

yes

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It doesn't say anything other than "Sesame Oil" and "Doesn't contain Amargone(sp?) Oil" on the bottle.
    It's Indian so not much else to decipher. Reading Wiki explains why it was in the hair care section!

I always use Peanut Oil when doing stirfrys.

Probably cost as much as a 3kg bag though. :)

Peanut oil for stirfries and sesame oil at the end for scent and added flavour

• Advertisement

Minder wrote: »
    Dunno - they are whole, the packaging says nothing useful.

Its the cleaning I could do with a pointer on...

Late and just in from work. will post recipes and will try a cleaning description as well

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Thanks for all the recipes jassha, cant wait to try them.

I did work in a Chinese restaurant many moons ago and the most important thing I took away from it was the heat the woks got to cook with, hard to replicate in the Irish Kitchen.

Also can we have some more traditional recipes please, something new to cheer us up in these dark and testing times. :D

You are right about trying to replicate the heat generated by a wok cooker. So many different traditional depending on where the people are from. Give me descriptions of what u have in mind and i will let u know. Alot of traditional stuff tends to be soups etc and can tend to be very bland. let me know and i will see what i can do

Guys please dont get caught up with small details of things like potato flour versus potato starch and pure sesame oil versus blended.. THE most important thing is the quality of ure fresh ingredients and the basic cooking process. If u get these right the thickening agent ,be it cornflour or potato flour does not matter.. Keep it simple cos basically it is.. Thanks for all the responses

If ure crab is not already cleaned follow the following linkhttp://www.chow.com/food-news/54638/how-to-clean-soft-shell-crab/

If already cleaned proceed as follows

-put them in a bowl and run them under cold water for 10 mins
    -pat them dry with kitchen towel
    -dust them with potato starch and pan fry them for approx 2 mins on each side
    -remove and keep warm
    -fry some minced garlic in a little oil for about 30 sec then add a good knob of butter , a squeeze of lemon or lime juice and a handful of chopped chives or scallion.
    -pour over the crab and serve immediatly

As with all my recipes its up to u as to how much garlic etc u use depending on how much u like it. start the garlic in a little oil and then add the butter as the butter on its own burns very easily

Alternatives are to use minced ginger instead of the garlic
    Another alternative is the use the salt and pepper recipe at post no 10 on this thread
    Yet another way is to serve it as tempura

Basically if u pan fry them u can serve whatever sauce u like . They are nice with black bean sauce with some chilli added for a bit of a kick. Adding chilli to the garlic and butter mix is nice as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 500 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Could you post a recipe for Chow Mein please

Thanks

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Could you post a recipe for Chow Mein please

Thanks

First- cook ure noodles as per packet instructions and leave to one side
    - Prepare the veg of ure choice, usually onions, peppers, carrots waterchestnuts, mangetout, chinese leaves, mushrooms, scallions, and beansprouts.
    -prepare ure meat as per other posts for other dishes

Hot wok
    -add teaspoon garlic and teaspoon oyster sauce
    -add ure veg and stir fry
    -add ure pre cooked meat
    -add splash of wine
    -add ladel of stock or water
    -in a seperate pan fry ure noodles till hot and put on a plate
    -season ure veg with salt, sugar, and white pepper
    -thicken with potato starch mixed with water
    -add some dark so for colour and a few drops of sesame oil
    -pour on top of noodles
    -enjoy

Use whatever combination of veg and meat that u fancy. No limitations

U wll need the following

-curry powder of choice(try different ones )
    -finely sliced onions(lots of it)
    -minced garlic and ginger
    -chopped chillies(for extra kick if desired)
    -coconut milk
    -water
    -salt sugar and pepper
    -cream(optional)

First
    -in a heavy based pan heat some oil and a little butter over a low heat
    -add lots of thinly sliced onions
    -add a couple of teaspoons of curry powder and chillies cook slowly for about 8 to 10 mins
    -add equal parts coconut milk and stock or water
    -increase heat and simmer for 10 mins
    -season to taste with salt sugar and pepper
    -add dash of cream

Thats a basic sauce to which u can add any meat fish or veg to . Pre cook ure meat as per other recipes

If u want to vary it a bit u can add ground cumin, ground corriander, turmeric, chilli powder in varying quantities to give u different tastes
    Also if u dont like or dont want to use coconut milk add chopped tomatoes and a bit of tomato puree before adding just water or stock

if ure finished sauce is too thin , thicken it with a bit of potato starch mixed with water which is fine for ceoliacs

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Thank you for your soft-shell crab recipe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

WOW is all i can say have just read the 18 pages of this thread and all i can say is thank you jassha (and to anyone else who has helped) ,for all the time and effort you have put in i cant wait to get started on some of the recipies,will post back when i try some,thanks again

Come on guys .There has to be more questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Ask and you will receive Jassha...:rolleyes:

Really into DimSum and TomYum..anything you can recommend?

Love trying new recipes and have access to Asian wholesalers so let me know any healthy recipes you think would be good to try..more adventurous the better,,,,maybe something tofu related.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Batigol309 wrote: »

Love trying new recipes and have access to Asian wholesalers so let me know any healthy recipes you think would be good to try..more adventurous the better,,,,maybe something tofu related.

Cheers

lor mai kai

will get back to u after the weekend when i havea bit of time. recipes are endless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

just wondering can I substitute the coconut milk with anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Wow-excellent thread.

Has there been a recipe posted for Black Pepper Sauce yet? I've also had a White Pepper and Garlic sauce once or twice before that I'd like to try and make-don't tend to see it on the menu too often.

Also, how do I make the 'yellow' egg fried rice-what gives it the yellow colour?

just wondering can I substitute the coconut milk with anything else?

Use alittle milk and cream instead. Or soya milk if dairy is not suitable, wont be as rich but is an option

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Wow-excellent thread.

Also, how do I make the 'yellow' egg fried rice-what gives it the yellow colour?

I would think its a little turmeric that gives it the colour or maybe god forbid food colouring

will get back to u after the weekend when i havea bit of time. recipes are endless

Quick question. tofu related as in vegetarian or just with tofu included

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Quick question. tofu related as in vegetarian or just with tofu included

I have never used tofu before but want to try it....so whatever takes your fancy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Hi jassha,

My favourite from my local Chinese is Roast Duck, Cantonese Style. More than anything, it's the sauce I love, because of the flavour and that it's not thickened.

I always order it and a load of starters (like spring rolls and chicken balls) and dip them in the sauce.

Any chance of a recipe? :)

Advertisement