Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

Wonder could we get this thread as a stickey or something and then the individual recipes in a thread kinda like the recipe club. Savage thread, just don't have time to go looking for individual recipes. Would be cool to get a chinese menu style with starter, main course and extras menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

rodrob111 wrote: »
    Wonder could we get this thread as a stickey or something and then the individual recipes in a thread kinda like the recipe club. Savage thread, just don't have time to go looking for individual recipes. Would be cool to get a chinese menu style with starter, main course and extras menu.

I was thinking the same thing. But I just copied some of the recipes I wanted to try into a Word Document for easy reference.

It’d be nice if there was a list of all recipes were put in the original post and each one was linked to the full breakdown. Lot of work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. But I just copied some of the recipes I wanted to try into a Word Document for easy reference.

It’d be nice if there was a list of all recipes were put in the original post and each one was linked to the full breakdown. Lot of work though.

I have a master sheet of where every recipe on the thread is. Was thinking about the same thing would like to put it at the begining of thread but have no idea how to go about it. Willing to put up the list if someone is willing to tell me how. Wont be til next week though . Busy with valentines weekend. Only an average when comes to tech things so simple language as to how to do it please..

jassha wrote: »
    I have a master sheet of where every recipe on the thread is. Was thinking about the same thing would like to put it at the begining of thread but have no idea how to go about it. Willing to put up the list if someone is willing to tell me how. Wont be til next week though . Busy with valentines weekend. Only an average when comes to tech things so simple language as to how to do it please..
    Just PM one of the Mods on the Food Forum (Faith, Hill Billy, Mr Magnolia) with the details and they can then add the list to the original post with a hyperlink to each of the recipes.

Just PM one of the Mods on the Food Forum (Faith, Hill Billy, Mr Magnolia) with the details and they can then add the list to the original post with a hyperlink to each of the recipes.

Good stuff .Will do that during the week. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Hi Jassha,

My friend took me to the New Millenium restaurant in Dublin and ordered a plate of deep fried soft shell crabs with loads of fried garlic. It was to die for.
    I've seen the Asia Market on Drury st. selling live soft shell crabs but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to handle them. I've also seen them frozen, which I would have no problem with. But I'm sure they don't taste the same.

Can you please give me the recipe for that particular dish?

Many thanks in advance!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Hi Jassha,

My friend took me to the New Millenium restaurant in Dublin and ordered a plate of deep fried soft shell crabs with loads of fried garlic. It was to die for.
    I've seen the Asia Market on Drury st. selling live soft shell crabs but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to handle them. I've also seen them frozen, which I would have no problem with. But I'm sure they don't taste the same.

Can you please give me the recipe for that particular dish?

Many thanks in advance!

No problem. Will be after the weekend i am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You will need
    Minced pork fried and drained of excess fat
    Minced waterchestnuts
    Minced garlic
    Chopped scallions
    Chilli flakes
    Oyster sauce
    Splash of wine
    Dark soya sauce
    Sesame oil

Hot wok
    add the minced garlic, oyster sauce, and a few chilli flakes
    add the pork and the waterchestnuts
    add splash of wine
    season with salt and pepper
    add scallions
    add dark soy
    add a few drops of sesame oil

enjoy

for the crunchy vermichelli just deep fry some uncooked rice noodles for 5 or 6 seconds

Made this tonight. I didn't have any Sesame oil but it was still gorgeous. Definetely will make it again. Thanks for the recipe.

Made this tonight. I didn't have any Sesame oil but it was still gorgeous. Definetely will make it again. Thanks for the recipe.

No worries. sesame oil is what gives it the real chinese smell so in fairness is sortof optional. Glad it worked well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi jassha,
    I made the szcechuan chicken yesterday and it was stunning.
    I had 4 guests for dinner all whom regularly order it from their local take away so I was really nervous as it was my first attempt.
    The recipe was spot on and really easy to do.
    They all loved it as far as to say it was as good as their take away.
    Going to try the black bean next.
    I have loads of Szechuan sauce left for next week.
    Thanks so much jassha.

• Advertisement

sham69 wrote: »
    Hi jassha,
    I made the szcechuan chicken yesterday and it was stunning.
    I had 4 guests for dinner all whom regularly order it from their local take away so I was really nervous as it was my first attempt.
    The recipe was spot on and really easy to do.
    They all loved it as far as to say it was as good as their take away.
    Going to try the black bean next.
    I have loads of Szechuan sauce left for next week.
    Thanks so much jassha.

Ure very welcome. Glad it went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I ended up making the samosas today aswell...
    The mince was originally for yuk sung but i was missing some ingredients.
    After struggling to make triangles from my filo pastry I just about had them made in time for the missus coming home from work.
    Again they were delicious.
    Many thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hi Jassha, Many thanks for your wonderful I thread have spent hours today reading through it all.
    My request is for my favorite Hot and Sour Soup recipe please.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

When I was growing up in Bray, a bunch of my friends and I used to visit the Jasmine House restaurant in the main street. At the time it was the height of adventurous dining and the dish I looked forward to the most was a Special Noodle soup. It had pieces of chicken, butterflied prawn, red pork, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts as well as noodles and some other ingredients. It was a standout dish and the broth really made it.

Jassha, (long shot to replicate this, I know), but if you were preparing a special noodle soup, what would you use?

Second question - could you advise on the use of some of the less well known chinese ingredients? So if I asked what I should do with fresh water chestnuts or beef tendon, could you offer advice? Rather than a general list, I was thinking more of an "Ask Jassha" type Q&A?

Minder wrote: »
    When I was growing up in Bray, a bunch of my friends and I used to visit the Jasmine House restaurant in the main street. At the time it was the height of adventurous dining and the dish I looked forward to the most was a Special Noodle soup. It had pieces of chicken, butterflied prawn, red pork, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts as well as noodles and some other ingredients. It was a standout dish and the broth really made it.

Jassha, (long shot to replicate this, I know), but if you were preparing a special noodle soup, what would you use?

Second question - could you advise on the use of some of the less well known chinese ingredients? So if I asked what I should do with fresh water chestnuts or beef tendon, could you offer advice? Rather than a general list, I was thinking more of an "Ask Jassha" type Q&A?[/QUOTE

Give me til wed to get back to u. very busy but have guys from hong kong, mainland china and macau working with me so any thing goes. Throw it at me i will sort it out

Minder wrote: »

U will need
    -meats of ure choice, ham,charsui pork, chicken, prawns all sliced thinly.
    -veg of choice-would recommened waterchestnuts, scallions, carrots, chinese leaves, beansprouts, and something really green like spinnach or the tops off bok choi
    -oyster sauce
    -noodle of choice cooked as per packet instructions and left to the side
    -fresh veg stock or water(not a lover of stock cubes)
    -salt, pepper, sesame oil and both light and dark soy

Method
    -bring the stock or water to a slow simmer
    -add the meats, prawns and veg
    -heat the noodles in a little hot water seperatly and put in a big serving dish or into individual bowls
    -to each bowl add a small shake of white pepper, 3 or 4 drops of sesame oil and a half teaspoon of light soy sauce
    -add a teaspoon of oyster sauce to the pot of meat and veg and season to taste with some salt.
    -skim off any froth that has appeared on the top
    -add a little dark soy for a nice rich colour
    -divide between ure bowls
    -job done

Again like most things chinese u can use whatever meat and veg u choose

sky6 wrote: »
    Hi Jassha, Many thanks for your wonderful I thread have spent hours today reading through it all.
    My request is for my favorite Hot and Sour Soup recipe please.
    Thanks.

You will need
    -sliced ham, pork, prawns
    -sliced mangetout, waterchestnuts, carrots, chinese leaves, chillies and scallions
    -chinese red vinegar, sweet and sour sauce, water
    -salt and pepper
    -sesame oil
    -a little beaten egg
    -potato flour mixed with water to thicken

Method
    -add 2 parts water 1 part sweet and sour and 1 part vinegar to a wok or saucepan
    -add meats and veg
    -season with salt and pepper
    -thicken with some potato flour
    -add a little beaten egg
    -add 3 or 4 drops of sesame oil
    -Enjoy
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You will need
    -sliced ham, pork, prawns
    -sliced mangetout, waterchestnuts, carrots, chinese leaves, chillies and scallions
    -chinese red vinegar, sweet and sour sauce, water
    -salt and pepper
    -sesame oil
    -a little beaten egg
    -potato flour mixed with water to thicken

Method
    -add 2 parts water 1 part sweet and sour and 1 part vinegar to a wok or saucepan
    -add meats and veg
    -season with salt and pepper
    -thicken with some potato flour
    -add a little beaten egg
    -add 3 or 4 drops of sesame oil
    -Enjoy
    -

Thanks very much for the Hot and Sour Soup. Just one question, The Mangetout are we talking about Green Peas or Green Beens.
    Thanks

sky6 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the Hot and Sour Soup. Just one question, The Mangetout are we talking about Green Peas or Green Beens.
    Thanks

Mangetout.. Looks like a pea pod with no peas in it..

Second question - could you advise on the use of some of the less well known chinese ingredients? So if I asked what I should do with fresh water chestnuts or beef tendon, could you offer advice? Rather than a general list, I was thinking more of an "Ask Jassha" type Q&A?[/QUOTE

Beef tendon.... An aquired taste. Needs to be cooked very slowly for a long time, usually in the following
    -half pot water
    -add 1 ladel light soy and 1 ladel dark soy
    - add large piece ginger roughly
    -add table spoon salt ,4tablespoons sugar, 4 or 5 staranise and a couple of pieces of cinamon bark

sometimes other chinese spices and even medicines are added

cook for about 2 hours and a slow simmer uncovered so the sauce reduces and thickens
    tendons are almost jelly like but full of flavour

hope this is of some help

• Advertisement

Second question - could you advise on the use of some of the less well known chinese ingredients? So if I asked what I should do with fresh water chestnuts

Fresh waterchestnuts
    -tend to be hard to come by and dont last too long (about 10 days)
    -need to be peeled and topped before use
    -once peeled should be stored in water in a fridge
    -sweet almost fruity taste

Uses
    -can be eaten raw like a fruit
    -add to salads
    -finely chop and add to stuffing for a bit of crunch and texture
    -minced and mixed with minced pork to make dumplings
    -slice and add to stirfries
    -use in meat sung

No hard and fast rules. Add them to anything to add crunch, texture or a little sweetness

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Yuk Sung huge hit. Thank you.:D

You will need
    -diced ribeye beef(pre-fried like in other recipes)
    -sliced veg of choice
    -minced garlic
    -cracked black pepper
    -oyster sauce
    -dark soy sauce
    -sesame oil

Hot wok then add
    -little oil
    -1 teaspoon garlic
    -1 teaspoon oyster sauce
    -1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    -veg of choice
    -splash of wine
    -beef
    -water or stock
    -season with salt,sugar and white pepper
    -thicken with a little potato flour mixed with water
    -add some dark soy for colour and a few drops of sesame oil

Enjoy
    I made this last night and it was beautiful. The sauce was a little on the runny side but I didn't have any potato flour so I used cornflour. Might use a little more next time.
    I was in the Asian market and they had potato flour but it was in 3kg bags. A little bit too much for my needs.

I cut the beef into strips and marinated it for a while in Soy Sauce and chopped Garlic (they way I normally do for stirfrys) and then fried it and set it aside til the end and then added it to the rest of the ingredients.

I think the Sesame Oil is a real must for this recipe. It really does give it that authentic Chinese flavour. Oddly enough, when I was looking for it in the Asian market I couldn't find it anywhere but when I asked a member of staff he brought me over to where all the toiletries were. :confused: Why it was there is anybodies guess, but they are less than particular when it comes to putting stuff on the shelves though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I didn't have any potato flour so I used cornflour. Might use a little more next time.
    I was in the Asian market and they had potato flour but it was in 3kg bags. A little bit too much for my needs.
    You might be able to substitute instant potato, pretty much the same thing, smash brand comes in sort of nuggets so is harder to work with. Tesco have a cheap and nasty value version, this comes in really thin flakes and is dirt cheap and easily made into a powder, just ruffle up the bag. After frying up a spicy dish (usually in a saucepan) I often add in water to the pan which dissolves the leftover sauces, then I put in potato flakes and eat it, this both cleans the pan and gives me some extra eats.

Health food shops often have potato flour -at ridiculous prices usually.
    I think the Sesame Oil is a real must for this recipe. It really does give it that authentic Chinese flavour.
    No worries. sesame oil is what gives it the real chinese smell so in fairness is sortof optional.
    I love sesame oil, whenever I cook with it at home or in work people usually comment about it (same with garlic, some do not know what it is and then baulk when they hear garlic, but were loving it at first!).

Many of the Asian shops sell a fake sort of sesame along with the real stuff, which is diluted with normal oils and might have artificial flavours added, so look for the 100% on the bottle. The price should be a tell tale sign.

rubadub wrote: »
    Many of the Asian shops sell a fake sort of sesame along with the real stuff, which is diluted with normal oils and might have artificial flavours added, so look for the 100% on the bottle. The price should be a tell tale sign.
    :/

I'll have a look when I get home. It was a litre bottle (possibly more) and it was around €7

Tasted and smelled nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It was a litre bottle (possibly more) and it was around €7
    That price sounds like it should be 100%

here is an online shop BTW

http://bombaybazar.ie

free delivery if you spend a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

Jassha I see you're located in Galway :D and I'm looking for a really good chinese take-away, what one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance :)

I made this last night and it was beautiful. The sauce was a little on the runny side but I didn't have any potato flour so I used cornflour. Might use a little more next time.

I can usually pick u potato flour in alot of eastern euro shops or african and asian shops. sometimes labeled potato starch and usually in 1 kg packs for around 2.50 or so.

:/

I'll have a look when I get home. It was a litre bottle (possibly more) and it was around €7

Tasted and smelled nice though

Personally i like to use blended sesame oil which is normally 60% sesame and 40% soya oil. find the pure stuff to rich and overpowering. And one other thing never use it for frying. ITs a condiment an an ingediant for marinades

• Advertisement

niamhocxox wrote: »
    Jassha I see you're located in Galway :D and I'm looking for a really good chinese take-away, what one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance :)

Sorry niamhocxox not going there on this thread as it will only become a thread for reviewing opinions etc . Will pm u my favourite though

Advertisement