Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic not seeing Irish channels again.

Options
  • 05-11-2010 5:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I just "updated Channel list" on my Panasonic TX-P50G10B UK FREESAT model and it while it tunes in the Saorview Radio channels it fails to notice the TV channels now.

Don't retune your Freesat Panasonic tv sets or you will lose the tv channels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Service type has been changed to 0x16 for SD and 0x19 for HD

It was only a matter of time before they did this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Luckily I had my channels backed up and was able to restore them, to do this follow the instructions below!

1. Format an SD card on a PC.

Insert SD card into PC. Right-click on SD card in MyComputer, then select FORMAT and press OK.

2. Set up hotel.pwd file on SD card.

Open My Computer and double click on SD card (Removable Disk). Go to Tools, Folder Options and select the VIEW tab. Then unclick the "Hide extensions for known file types" option and apply the change. Right click and select New and Text Document to create an empty text file. Name it "hotel.pwd" ( Note that there is no .txt file extension added because of option selected above). Remove SD card.

3. Copy all channels from TV1 to SD card.

Turn on TV. Insert SD card. The process starts automatically. Enter the code 4850 when requested. The copy is made to the SD card. Remove the SD card.

4. Copy channels from SD card to TV2.

Turn on TV. Insert SD card. The process starts automatically. Enter the code 4851 when requested. The copy is made to the TV.
    Turn off the TV and then turn it on again. The channels are copied! There's no EPG info for the TV channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Does this mean we can't tune in the latest channels (changes) that went live on the 28th Oct? Are they likely to revert the flag to something panasonics can use again?

Does this mean we can't tune in the latest channels (changes) that went live on the 28th Oct? Are they likely to revert the flag to something panasonics can use again?

Yes, RTE have now changed the identifier flag and this time I fear it may be permanent. I think it is a simple piece of code designed to stop MPEG2 TV's from seeing the broadcasts and the interference this may cause in Northern Ireland and Wales which might see users with a MPEG2 TV having RTE planted in a pos. 1 instead of BBC1 and no picture only sound.

Panasonic have not adhered to the DVB regulations properly which should see RTE positioned into the 800's instead.

Panasonic aren't worth crap anymore and Samsung is the way to go.

Panasonic make fine screens (I have two!), but the firmware implementation seems to be poor. The Sony Freesat model W5810 seems to be unaffected by the change in the flag.

• Advertisement

fat-tony wrote: »
    Panasonic make fine screens (I have two!), but the firmware implementation seems to be poor. The Sony Freesat model W5810 seems to be unaffected by the change in the flag.

I have two also and my TX-L32G10L 32" LCD Irish model is totally unaffected by the flag change. Fine screens indeed but I am disappointed with mine due to these issues and Panasonics unwillingness to fix it despite being a premium brand. I no longer recommend Panasonic over these issues and their price, why pay premium for crap aftersales service?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I own 2 Sonys the W5810 above and an early 2008 V4500. No problems with either after full rescans. The TVs also placed the radio channels into their correct LCN's 200-209.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I did mention that it was on the way....
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056021721

Hope people have recent backups for the panasonics. It WILL effect the PZ81s, LZD81's, G10s and G15s straight off.

We will now get to see some real interaction with Freeview HD gear and the grey box market and rule out UKDbook firmware uissues

I havent seen a TS yet but preseumably the 0x16 Advanced Codec flag has now been set for SD and presumably 0x19 for HD.

And yes its to comply with broadcasting standards. i.e. you flag how you are broadcsting. This in turn signals the non compliant gear from tuning in the station (mainly to weed out mpeg2 idtv tuners).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

has anyone chanced Panasonic that their compliant non compliant tv for dvb isn't to standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

TheDriver wrote: »
    has anyone chanced Panasonic that their compliant non compliant tv for dvb isn't to standards?

This has been followed up with Panasonic by a number of boardies including me .. all to no avail :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055542668&highlight=panasonic+customer+service&page=15

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr ******,

Panasonic has received a number of communications from customers residing in the Republic of Ireland concerning the functionality of Freesat and Freeview compliant products. As our customers are aware, Panasonic Freeview product is not sold in the Republic of Ireland. We do, however, market a range of products which are DTT specific to the Republic of Ireland.

Customer queries have primarily been on the capability of these sets to receive the Irish DTT test transmissions. Standard Freeview sets, imported from the UK and Northern Ireland, received the first MPEG2 DTT test transmissions. However, as a consequence of changes to RTE’s direction with regard to test transmissions, we have been aware since mid-April 2009 that this is no longer possible.

Given that we are not directly involved with the testing being carried out by RTE, we cannot offer any formal information regarding testing already carried or, indeed, their future plans.

We would stress that the question of upgrading or altering the specification of these Freeview products in order to enable them to receive the altered DTT signal is more significant than just a software or firmware change, and unfortunately we have no modification available to customers who find themselves in this position. This also applies to any future specification changes that may be requested.

We are aware that a number of entries on various customer forums discuss modification of the firmware. We would stress that action of this nature is entirely at the risk of the customer and Panasonic would neither condone nor enable such an activity for the reasons stated above.

To clarify, the hardware and software on any Freeview compliant products have been designed for operation in the Northern Irish, and mainland UK markets. We are regrettably therefore unable to provide additional support to our customers in the Republic of Ireland who may have purchased these products.

If the users have purchased these units expressly for DTT functionality, and it was marketed to them by the retailer from whom they purchased the unit on this basis alone, we would suggest they contact these retailers to address their issues. We have notified the dealers in the North of Ireland about our opinion on this issue, and the fact that product cannot and should not be sold to customers in Republic of Ireland for Free to Air digital TV reception.

We would further add that Panasonic is not authorised to market Freesat models in the Republic of Ireland, nor to support the operation of the Freesat tuner by way of software or firmware upgrade.

Of course, Panasonic is fully committed to supporting our products marketed specifically for the Republic of Ireland to ensure continued functionality.

We appreciate that this response may cause some disappointment to our customers. However, our position is clear with regard to DTT compliant products in the Republic of Ireland.

Kind Regards
    Dealer Support / Correspondence Team
    Panasonic UK Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

I am currently using a Panasonic TX-P37X10L (Irish model) to watch SaorView. Should I be OK to rescan etc? I am assuming that this issue is only relating to British models that have been imported. Is that the case?

Thanks
    Dara

Trojan00 wrote: »
    I am currently using a Panasonic TX-P37X10L (Irish model) to watch SaorView. Should I be OK to rescan etc? I am assuming that this issue is only relating to British models that have been imported. Is that the case?

Thanks
    Dara

I rescanned today to get the new channels names RTE1 becomes RTÉ One etc. on my 2nd Panasonic which a TX-L32G10L Irish model and it updated the names no problem. And my 2nd tv does not have the same difficulties as my TX-P50G10B.

G10B = UK Freesat Model having the difficulty, RTE1 is Ch 800, RTE2 is Ch801 etc.

G10L = Domestic Irish model not having difficulties RTE1 is Ch01, RTE2 is Ch2 etc.

There is no need to rescan as no new channels have come online over the last few months, TV3 is now broadcasting where there used to be a test card called RTENL.

All that has changed are the names:

RTE1 is now RTÉ One
    RTE2 is now RTÉ Two
    RTENL became TV 3 and TV3 from today (minus the space)
    TG 4 is now TG4 (again minus the space)

I would still aire on the side of caution do an SD Card backup just incase and the names can be edited manually if you want with doing a rescan or "update channel list".

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

Stinicker wrote: »
    I just "updated Channel list" on my Panasonic TX-P50G10B UK FREESAT model and it while it tunes in the Saorview Radio channels it fails to notice the TV channels now.

Do you have software version 1.617 on your G10B?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

STB wrote: »
    I did mention that it was on the way....
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056021721

I havent seen a TS yet but preseumably the 0x16 Advanced Codec flag has now been set for SD and presumably 0x19 for HD.

And yes its to comply with broadcasting standards. i.e. you flag how you are broadcsting. This in turn signals the non compliant gear from tuning in the station (mainly to weed out mpeg2 idtv tuners).

Last time I looked at the TS, 2/11, - it had no flags set at all.

SRB wrote: »
    Last time I looked at the TS, 2/11, - it had no flags set at all.

oh its back alright SRB. That it lasted so long well..... I suppose RTE need to make the changes now so that people dont find out too late. ie ASO.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68872993&postcount=39

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭championc

I rescanned today to get the new channels names RTE1 becomes RTÉ One etc. on my 2nd Panasonic which a TX-L32G10L Irish model and it updated the names no problem. And my 2nd tv does not have the same difficulties as my TX-P50G10B.

G10B = UK Freesat Model having the difficulty, RTE1 is Ch 800, RTE2 is Ch801 etc.

Does this suddenly imply that the Panny G20B could in fact be still able to scan despite the Service_Type codec change to 0x16 yesterday ?

oh its back alright SRB. That it lasted so long well..... I suppose RTE need to make the changes now so that people dont find out too late. ie ASO.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68872993&postcount=39

Maybe it's a mistake, in that now that TV3 is back, they just loaded the s/w which was running last year which had TV3's settings. Daft as it may sound it's no dafter than listing your main frequency in your stream as one you haven't used since 1999...... I can no longer receive Kippure or I'd check the version number with the one running when this happened last year.

Don't think they've reverted to old settings (I assume that's what you mean by old s/w?). RTE 1 name was changed to RTE One and RTE 2 changed to RTE Two, so they are definitely playing with the settings.

maxg wrote: »
    Do you have software version 1.617 on your G10B?

Yeah, I have this version on it a for a while now, it came in as part of the BBC iPlayer upgrade in August or September if I remember right.
    championc wrote: »
    Does this suddenly imply that the Panny G20B could in fact be still able to scan despite the Service_Type codec change to 0x16 yesterday ?

I don't know about the G20B but the G10B is definitely not seeing the channels. The Irish version the G10L is recognising the new service type though.

• Advertisement

Don't think they've reverted to old settings (I assume that's what you mean by old s/w?). RTE 1 name was changed to RTE One and RTE 2 changed to RTE Two, so they are definitely playing with the settings.

Yup, sorry should have said "software settings" - they did chop and change quite a bit for a while last year, almost hourly one afternoon, just looking back the the various TS files I have since I first picked up Kippure in April 09 - there are none where the services are listed as RTE One, so yes, it must be new settings, rather than an old one running again. From the NIT on 2/11/10 :

Network Name: RTENL
    Network ID: 12801 (0x3201)
    Transport Stream ID: 1001 (0x03e9)
    Original Network ID: 8564 (0x2174) Version: 25
    Descriptor: Network Name Descriptor
    DVB-T Frequency 198.500 MHz
    Bandwidth: 8 MHz Constellation: 64-QAM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

So is there any way to get the channels back if you have pressed OK to update the channels? No backup here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

G10L = Domestic Irish model not having difficulties RTE1 is Ch01, RTE2 is Ch2 etc.

There is no need to rescan as no new channels have come online over the last few months, TV3 is now broadcasting where there used to be a test card called RTENL.

All that has changed are the names:

RTE1 is now RTÉ One
    RTE2 is now RTÉ Two
    RTENL became TV 3 and TV3 from today (minus the space)
    TG 4 is now TG4 (again minus the space)

I would still aire on the side of caution do an SD Card backup just incase and the names can be edited manually if you want with doing a rescan or "update channel list".

I have a Panasonic 42 inch G10L ( Irish model ) and have no problems for Saorview, but I can only get Irish channels to show up as 800,801 etc. I think I've tried every country in the set up menu, including Ireland and cannot get channels on DTT to show up as 01,02 etc. Am I doing something wrong ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    I have a Panasonic 42 inch G10L ( Irish model ) and have no problems for Saorview, but I can only get Irish channels to show up as 800,801 etc. I think I've tried every country in the set up menu, including Ireland and cannot get channels on DTT to show up as 01,02 etc. Am I doing something wrong ?

You have MHEG5 ? NOt according to Machinehead who also is an owner.

The channel positioning problem can be circumvented by.....

Menu (button on remote)
    -> Setup
    -> DVB Tuning Menu
    -> Channel List
    -> Green (swap)
    input new number
    ->Green (confirm)

You have MHEG5 ? NOt according to Machinehead who also is an owner.

The channel positioning problem can be circumvented by.....

Menu (button on remote)
    -> Setup
    -> DVB Tuning Menu
    -> Channel List
    -> Green (swap)
    input new number
    ->Green (confirm)

I didn't say that it has Mheg5, it doesn't. Sorry if I misled. Is there any way of it getting Mheg5 ? Thanks for info on channel numbering, I will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

I would guess you didn't select Ireland as your country when setting up the TV. You have 3 options.

1) Change the country setting, you need to reset to "Shipping Condition" which will mean retuning all analog and digital stations as well as putting back any other changes you made to active inputs etc.
    Press Menu button on remote then Setup > System Menu > Shipping Condition, confirm several times then turn the set off and back on again.
    If you set to Ireland, you won't get the 7day guide. Selecting France does give you 7day guide. Neither gives MHEG5.

2) Manually change the numbers as follows:
    Press Menu button on remote.
    Go into Setup > DVB-T Tuning Menu > Channel List
    Select the channel you have to change and press the Green button to swap the number.

3) Use Favorites, set up a list of favorites and these will be numbers from 1.
    Go into Setup > DVB-T Tuning Menu > Favorites Edit

HappyHarry wrote: »
    I would guess you didn't select Ireland as your country when setting up the TV. You have 3 options.

1) Change the country setting, you need to reset to "Shipping Condition" which will mean retuning all analog and digital stations as well as putting back any other changes you made to active inputs etc.
    Press Menu button on remote then Setup > System Menu > Shipping Condition, confirm several times then turn the set off and back on again.
    If you set to Ireland, you won't get the 7day guide. Selecting France does give you 7day guide. Neither gives MHEG5.

2) Manually change the numbers as follows:
    Go into Setup > DVB-T Tuning Menu > Channel List
    Select the channel you have to change and press the Green button to swap the number.

3) Use Favorites, set up a list of favorites and these will be numbers from 1.
    Go into Setup > DVB-T Tuning Menu > Favorites Edit

I've just used the manual method and successfully changed RTE 1 from 800 to 1, etc. I suppose it's just cosmetics really ! Does the channel number matter, once you can clearly see and hear it ? It's a pity we don't have Mheg5 for digital text etc. Could this be solved by a firmware update from Panasonic, or is it impossible on these tv's, as in, they were manufactured without any possibility of adding Mheg 5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

I've just used the manual method and successfully changed RTE 1 from 800 to 1, etc. I suppose it's just cosmetics really ! Does the channel number matter, once you can clearly see and hear it ? It's a pity we don't have Mheg5 for digital text etc. Could this be solved by a firmware update from Panasonic, or is it impossible on these tv's, as in, they were manufactured without any possibility of adding Mheg 5 ?

The numbers just make it easier on the eye and if you want to change to a specific channel by pressing the number on the remote.

As for MHEG5, as i understand there is no license fee associated with it and other countries use it, so I guess it's possible that the capability is in the set just not enabled. But if there is extra hardware required (chipsets etc) it may have been left out. They even left out the ability of the TV to automatically switch to an external input when you turn on your non Panasonic HDMI device. This is included in the UK models. :mad:

But at least in future we can forget about needing VHF tuners, so I guess the sets for UK and Ireland will be more or less identical in hardware with minor tweaks for SaorView and SaorSat in the software.

I doubt they will update the firmware in older sets if they don't have to. They'll want to encourage people to buy the SaorView certified sets that will eventually come. At best they'll update some of the more recent Irish specific models (Pre G10 generation) with MPEG4 tuners to receive DTT Audio & Video if they can't already.

MHEG5, 7Day guide they'll try and worm out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Is there a possibility of someone doing an sdcard channel backup of the irish equivalent set and uploading that to a uk set? (e.g. G10L to G10B)
    Would that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Is there a possibility of someone doing an sdcard channel backup of the irish equivalent set and uploading that to a uk set? (e.g. G10L to G10B)
    Would that work?
    If you read back through the long thread on Panasonic Freesat TVs, I think you'll find that trying to use files from different models didn't always work, in particular from LCD to Plasma models. Also, the Irish models won't have satellite but the UK ones will, but worth try I guess. Potentially you could feck up the TV, but it's more likely it simply will refuse to load the file. I would be inclined to try the file from a G20B and see if it would upload to a G10B.

Advertisement