Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Champion Thread! Well done OP!
    The Salt & Chili Chicken is getting done tomorrow.
    And that Black Bean Sauce when I get some time to hit the shops for ingredients!

Do you have any speciality rice dishes to serve as a main?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Defo making the salt chilli chicken and king prawn soon! :D

How do ya make bbq pork the way the chinese do?! its so yummy!
    You should write a book filled with these recipes, every house in the country would have a copy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Szechuan squid recipe please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Great thread, I'm looking forward to the ribs recipe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jassha wrote: »
    Chicken ball batter. For the batter simply mix self raising flour , water and a little vegetable oil to make a nice thick batter.
    Rule 1 . Use cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces
    Rule 2 . If using prawns or fish they should be raw.
    Rule 3 . season the chicken or prawns with salt, pepper, and a little sesame oil.
    Rule 4 . NEVER season the batter as it can cause it to come out a bit soft and not crispy enough.
    I have always heard it should have cornflour, it is very different from Italian chipper batter which would use regular wheat flour. I remember growing up watching Wok with Yan on school holidays, he was always using "corn starch", he got me into cooking Chinese.

Found this old thread I started on batter http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98863
    Can you post a recipe for curry sauce? It's extremely hard to find it where I am. Definitely miss it! Thanks.
    There is a thread on Chinese curry sauce here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055896676

I would recommend goldfish brand hot & spicy

I think sharwoods have a cantonese curry sauce now, never had it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I can't exactly remember this but we went out for dinner last year to a chinese and I got this green [as far as i remember?] curry with chicken through it! It was served with noodles and I've been trying to find the green curry ever since but can't get it anywhere! Any recipe I find online is just full of thick chunks of vegetables (not a big fan! :P). So I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas? Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

rubadub wrote: »
    I have always heard it should have cornflour, it is very different from Italian chipper batter which would use regular wheat flour. I remember growing up watching Wok with Yan on school holidays, he was always using "corn starch", he got me into cooking Chinese.

Found this old thread I started on batter http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98863

Give it a try as i have posted it. Works very well. Have coated the items to be battered in corn or potato flour espesially fish which tends to be very wet which can lead to a soggy result. Have never put cornor potato flour in the actual batter .

Can you post a recipe for curry sauce? It's extremely hard to find it where I am. Definitely miss it! Thanks.

chinese curry sauce recipe
    You will need
    -2litres oil
    -1 lge onion
    -1 head garlic
    -2 carrots
    -1 stick celery
    -1 red pepper
    -1 lemon
    -2 pieces of ginger
    -10 whole chilies (more if u like it spicier)

PHASE ONE

Put oil into a big pot(should only come one third up the pot)
    heat to approx 160 degrees
    add all of other ingredients a little at a time
    cook til all ingredients appear roasted looking
    Smell at this point will be incredible
    turn off and strain oil into another pot
    disgard veg

PHASE TWO

Put oil back on a very low heat
    add plain flour 4 parts
    add a medium madras curry powder 1 part
    repeat above until u have a very thick paste
    add 2 chopped bananas
    cook very slowly mixing every few mins for 1 hour
    remove from heat and leave to cool

You now have a curry paste far superior to anything u could buy in a shop and with no additives

To make ure sauce pour a tin of coconut milk into a pot add an equivelent amount of water or stock add some of ure paste and bring to the boil stirring constantly. season with salt, sugar and pepper. NO NEED FOR MSG UNLESS U REALLY LIKE IT.

This paste will keep in a clean dry container for 6 to eight weeks

kylith wrote: »
    Szechuan squid recipe please!

This is a recipe for szechwan sauce that can be used for meat, fish ,veg , fowl.
    U will need
    hot bean sauce (asian food shop)
    light soya sauce
    vinegar
    sugar
    wine

Mix 2 spoon hot bean
    8 spoon light soya sauce
    4 spoon vinegar
    4 spoon sugar
    1 spoon wine

Heat all above gently until sugar is fully disolved
    Remove from heat, cool and store in sealed container.
    Will keep for up to 8 weeks.

To cook dish u need following
    -minced garlic
    -minced ginger
    -chilli flakes
    -veg of choice
    -meat or fish of choice

1. Cook ure meat and leave to one side. do not cook fish ,prawns, or squid
    2. In a hot wok fry a teaspoon of minced garlic, ginger, and a pinch of chilli flakes (more if u like it spicier) for 5 to 10 secs. dont burn the chillies or sauce will taste very bitter.
    3. Add veg of choice.
    4. Add 1 part of ure sauce to 4 parts water or stock
    5. Add ure pre cooked chicken or meat.
    6. bring to boil and thicken with a little corn or potato flour mixed with water.
    7. Add a few drops of sesame oil
    ENJOY

When using squid buy the smallest ones u can. score the flesh on the inside with a sharp knife. soak it in a little milk for about an hour before u use it.
    Add to the above dish for the final 45 to60 seconds only or else u will have chewy squid.
    General good rule of thumb for squid is to cook it very quickly for less than 2 minutes or very slowly in a stew or casserole for more than 2 hours. In between it can be chewy

LD wrote: »
    A half litre of vinegar and a kilo of sugar? I presume this is chinese take-away recipes then?

Ken Hom has a nice one (for pork actually but the same thing) with a bit of stock, about a tablespoon of sugar and rice wine vinegar, some soya sauce, some tomato paste, it'd be good for those that don't like the syrupy take-away sauces. You'll probably get it if you google it, if not I could put it up.

Hence the name of the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hence the name of the thread

Well, to be fair, the thread title says Chinese recipes, and doesn't mention anything about take-away recipes or European style Chinese recipes.

Fair play to you for putting up all these recipes, it's a lot of trouble for no reward!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

How about a recipe for singapore noodles, please?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I remember some years back I had "General Tso's chicken" in a Chinese place in Limerick.

I loved it, but I'm now vegetarian, so I was wondering if you could post the recipe for the sauce, and maybe some tips or tricks to do it with tofu or just vegetables? Thanks a million in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

For the satay sauce i need to know if its for a dip to go with skewers or for cooking a main course. Quite different sauces for each

All three please.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Well i made the black bean tofu last night and it was fab!! Really lovely now. I used the tinned black beans that i had and added a little more soy sauce than was called for in the original recipe but that was only because there was so much veg.
    Thanks again!! I was well proud of myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Minder wrote: »
    How about a recipe for singapore noodles, please?

+1 - Singapore Noodles are the food of the gods...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

What about Ginger & Spring Onion, I know the name is a give away but there's usually a liquid mixed through it. How do you make that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Just what we needed here... a defector! :)

Thank you, jassha, for all these recipes. I'm definitely going to give some of them a try!

Another vote from me for Singapore rice/noodles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

chinese curry sauce recipe
    You will need
    -2litres oil
    -1 lge onion
    -1 head garlic
    -2 carrots
    -1 stick celery
    -1 red pepper
    -1 lemon
    -2 pieces of ginger
    -10 whole chilies (more if u like it spicier)

PHASE ONE

Put oil into a big pot(should only come one third up the pot)
    heat to approx 160 degrees
    add all of other ingredients a little at a time
    cook til all ingredients appear roasted looking
    Smell at this point will be incredible
    turn off and strain oil into another pot
    disgard veg

PHASE TWO

Put oil back on a very low heat
    add plain flour 4 parts
    add a medium madras curry powder 1 part
    repeat above until u have a very thick paste
    add 2 chopped bananas
    cook very slowly mixing every few mins for 1 hour
    remove from heat and leave to cool

You now have a curry paste far superior to anything u could buy in a shop and with no additives

To make ure sauce pour a tin of coconut milk into a pot add an equivelent amount of water or stock add some of ure paste and bring to the boil stirring constantly. season with salt, sugar and pepper. NO NEED FOR MSG UNLESS U REALLY LIKE IT.

This paste will keep in a clean dry container for 6 to eight weeks

Stupid question, but in phase one do I chop up the veg up in chunks or throw them all in whole?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Stupid question, but in phase one do I chop up the veg up in chunks or throw them all in whole?

chunks. the smaller u cut them the quicker it will cook but just chop them up roughly

• Advertisement

Just what we needed here... a defector! :)

Thank you, jassha, for all these recipes. I'm definitely going to give some of them a try!

Another vote from me for Singapore rice/noodles too.

Not sure what u mean by defector. Got alot of help on boards with tech issue etc. Just giving something back........

Goodne wrote: »
    Hi, how long would the sauce stay fresh? Thanks for the recipes; going try out with salt & chilli chicken this week. Have you a recipe for barbeque ribs please too?

Have several recipes for ribs . Heres an easy one for at home. Will post others as well later.

1. Cut ure ribs into individual pieces and put in a good size pot.
    2. Put enough water to just cover the ribs
    3. Add a tin of shop bought Hoi Sin sauce
    4. Add a spoon of salt 4 spoons of sugar
    5. Add full head of garlic chopped and a couple of pieces of ginger
    6. Add 4or 5 star anise and 3 or 4 bay leaves

taste the liquid and add more salt and sugar to taste

Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins. turn off heat and leave to rest in pot for another 30 mins
    Remove the ribs from the liquid and leave to cool
    Keep the liquid. You can use it as a sauce to go with the ribs. Just add a little dark soy , heat it up and thicken it with potato starch mixed with a little water. season if needed with salt and sugar.

To serve the ribs simply pop them into a very hot oven for 7 to 10 mins or deep fry them for 2 or 3 mins. serve drizzled with honey or with the reserved cooking sauce .

This is the simplest of recipes and works really well. will post another which slow roasts them later

ENJOY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Not sure what u mean by defector. Got alot of help on boards with tech issue etc. Just giving something back........

I meant somebody with actual insider knowledge (like yourself) and not someone (like myself) who is just guessing at how to make things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I'd also like to know about Satay sauce, both for dipping and for the main course please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi jassha
    these recipes are great thanks for taking the time to help us all out! Do you have a recipe for shredded chilli chicken? It would be much appreciated thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

astra2000 wrote: »
    Hi jassha
    these recipes are great thanks for taking the time to help us all out! Do you have a recipe for shredded chilli chicken? It would be much appreciated thanks:)

Think Jassha gave this recipe already in this link he referred to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68509890#post68509890 Basically the same as for the chicken wing variety of this dish.

Great recipes though, keep them coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

hey jassha

im just wondering if you have the recipe for crispy spring rolls and maybe kung po chicken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Pennyw

hi, i would love to cook tofu at home but it just falls to bits...any tips on how to make them stay in shape? also how would you make them tastier?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

you my friend... are a GOD!

Its a kinda thai-ish recipe and no problem if you dont know it but just thought it throw it out there.. King prawns with roast chilli sauce?? thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Would you have a recipe for Sui Han chicken? Its one of my favourites but i don't seem to be able to get in in the local chinese restaurant lately :(

Advertisement