Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

curry sauce like chinese

Options
  • 28-04-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

i am lookin for a little help i would love to be able to make nice chinese style curry sauce if anyone could help

i am not lookin for indian curry or anything just the normal brown curry

thank every body for your help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bensons or mcdonnells thread on it here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055681742

Also if you want something like the BBQ sauce try Hoi Sin sauce, I got a wing yip brand in tesco which is very similar.

http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/display-product.php?ref=80385&currentpageref=2460

The wing yip curry sauce is meant to be similar to chinese ones too, I have not had it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is the link for Sing Li mentioned in the other thread. You can get it in Dundalk but not sure where else.

http://www.singli.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

TBH you wont make any curry sauce similar to a take away unless you add buckets of MSG.

fionntan g wrote: »
    TBH you wont make any curry sauce similar to a take away unless you add buckets of MSG.
    The sauces I mentioned do have MSG, and apparently plenty of it in.

Just like you won't make an indian takeaway one with out buckets of sodium chloride, I think one pataks curry paste I got was either 8 or 11% salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

rubadub wrote: »
    The sauces I mentioned do have MSG, and apparently plenty of it in.

Just like you won't make an indian takeaway one with out buckets of sodium chloride, I think one pataks curry paste I got was either 8 or 11% salt.

ive tried that mc donnells one and its hopeless,not near enough msg to match the take aways lol

re curry paste ive heard good things about the patkas one but have recently started making my own,jar it and stick it in the fridge for whenever ya need,the copious amount of salt in it helps it stay preserved anyways!:D

• Advertisement

fionntan g wrote: »
    ive tried that mc donnells one and its hopeless,not near enough msg to match the take aways lol
    aha- an MSG fan ;) I thought it was one of these nanny posts you always get saying "you do know thats full of deadly MSG, you are killing yourself".

You can get bags of pure MSG in asian food stores pretty cheap.

Pataks is nothing like chinese curry sauce in case anybody thought thats what I was saying. I emailed sing li to see who sells it in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

You got too try this stuff.GOLD FISH BRAND,Chinese curry sauce concentrate, available in mild and hot and spicy,comes in tubs,available in most asian shops,just add water,or inhanse with fresh garlic, ginger, I also add a little tom yum paste.Realy good stuff,cant recomend it enough.:D

dubh101 wrote: »
    You got too try this stuff.GOLD FISH BRAND,
    Thats a coincidence, I was just looking up a site 2 minutes ago and it recommended it!

Which particular shop did you get it in?

http://www.videojug.com/filmsuggestion/how-do-i-make-authentic-chinese-curry-sauce
    I will point out that most Take Aways do not make their sauce from scratch, they buy in a concentrate, such as Goldfish, Wing Yip and Mayflower. You can buy these online if you Google them.

rubadub wrote: »
    Thats a coincidence, I was just looking up a site 2 minutes ago and it recommended it!

Which particular shop did you get it in?

http://www.videojug.com/filmsuggestion/how-do-i-make-authentic-chinese-curry-sauce
    most good asian shops have it,the one across from the jervis center beside the luas line does,as does the asia market near the gorges street mall,and the asian shop on the albert walk in bray,also the asian shop in arklow,etc.etc.

I got the goldfish sauce today in the oriental emporium on georges street. None in the Filipino shop in dun laoghaire, nor the spice bazaar in blackrock market. It was worth the search! it is far better than bensons (which I did rate highly). I doubt I could tell the difference in a blind test with my local chinese takeaways, it has some extra spice or something that bensons did not have. Better value than bensons too, a 405g tub was €2.30 and bensons is only 200g. Like bensons you add 3-4 times of water to the paste.

http://www.keejayscurry.co.uk/
    There are 3 flavours to choose from:

Classic Chinese – blended to offer a delicious creamy curry sauce, traditional and truly appetising.

Spicy Chinese – a unique blend of spices t create a richer and more aromatic curry sauce for a more full bodied taste and aroma without too much of the chilli heat.

Madras – for the caterer who demands a robust curry sauce, this curry sauce concentrate provides a strong spicy sauce using a unique blend of spices for that well known Madras flavour.
    I got the standard chinese and "chinese hot & spicy", have only tasted the standard one. My local chinese will be losing a lot of business!

095610.jpg

• Advertisement

Im glad you found the goldfish brand paste rubadub,and agree with me about the flavour,I have used both the mild and the hot and spicy,and personaly prefere the hot and spicy,I have also got the madras paste,but not used it yet,will soon,so I will let you know what I think of that when I do:)

Took too researching chinese curry paste's a bit more,and found that there are a number off other brands that do a similar product too Gold Fish Brand,these include KKbrand,winyip,dragon brand,tiger tiger,mayflower,maysan,and youngs.lol but I can only personaly vouch for goldfish.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

dubh101 wrote: »
    Took too researching chinese curry paste's a bit more,and found that there are a number off other brands that do a similar product too Gold Fish Brand,these include KKbrand,winyip,dragon brand,tiger tiger,mayflower,maysan,and youngs.lol but I can only personaly vouch for goldfish.:D

Dragon brand is unreal- my mum posts it to me because I can't find it in England!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Just bought the Dragon brand, will try it today, hope it is like the chinese curry sauce.

foodaholic wrote: »
    Just bought the Dragon brand,
    Where did you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭foodaholic

bought in the oriental shop on abbey st. the one just beside the jervis luas stop. I think it was only Eur 2.

Must try the dragon brand,next time I run out off the gold fish brand,lol:D Though I hope Im not dissapointed caus gold fish is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I went out and picked up some of the normal gold fish brand there today and i'm going to put the left overs of last nights chicken in later and see how it works out. Looking forward to it now.

Although maybe i should have went for the hot and spicy one.

enjoy:D,the spicy one is nicer too me,but others prefere the milder version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭brick tamland

It was nice, very like a take away chinese curry. A nice change from the Indian style curry I make at home normally. Will defo get the Hot and Spicy one next time. I'll have to add a few chillis and fresh ginger next time i'm using the normal one to "jazz it up". But for €2.30 you cant got wrong really.

It would be lovely poured over a few chips:pac:

• Advertisement

I tired the hot & spicy one today for the first time, it is not all that much hotter than the standard, it is hotter than most takeaways. I reckon in future I might do a mixture of both normal & spicy. For stuff like chips I would probably just use standard. Nice to be able to blend and it is cheap enough to get 2 at a time, and since it is a paste you do not have to use it as soon as normal jars of sauce.

I chopped up onions roughly and put in cooked chicken so it was more like the takeaway ones I am used to, I know lots of people ask for no onions but I love chunks of them.

I also put onions into mine nearly at the last moment so they are still nice and crunchy also peas caus I like them in it too.

I have now tried the madras version off the goldfish brand too,its good and would recomend it for a quick curry,but I wouldent rave about it as much as the chinese paste's.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I've had the Goldfish brand curry paste before and it's pretty close alright.

I also made a little find in the Chinese supermarket yesterday. Prawn crackers. I thought I'd post it in here as it fits in there nicely.

The packet cost €0.95 and I'd say there's enough in there to make up about eight or ten batches.

To make them I poured about 1cm depth of oil into the smallest pot I have and when it was at the correct temperature, started frying them in batches of five.

The crackers are little, semi-translucent discs and they expand (dramatically! :D) after about five seconds in the oil.

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6588

To make them I poured about 1cm depth of oil into the smallest pot I have and when it was at the correct temperature, started frying them in batches of five.
    I put the oil in a saucepan and tip it over to one side so then the oil is deep in that corner. I much prefer the garlic crackers, and can't understand why I have never seen garlic crackers in any takeaway or restaurant.

Tesco also have prawn crackers these days.

Good tip with tipping the pot to one side. Why didn't I think of that? :) These things flare up after only about five seconds so it would be do-able to do them one by one while holding the pot like that.

What are these garlic crackers? The same, but with garlic flavour? I'd go for them too!

Not dissing the Tesco prawn crackers, but are they the same as the takeaway ones? The ones I got are the exact same... and they're unbelievably cheap. The markup on them must be astronomical as takeaways charge €1.50 or more for a bag.

What are these garlic crackers? The same, but with garlic flavour? I'd go for them too!
    Yeah, just garlic flavour, same thing.
    These things flare up after only about five seconds so it would be do-able to do them one by one while holding the pot like that.
    Yes, I do them 1-2 at a time, I always plan on having a batch made and then watching TV but I always end up eating them as the next ones are frying! they are so light they cool down really quick too.
    Not dissing the Tesco prawn crackers, but are they the same as the takeaway ones? The ones I got are the exact same.
    I haven't had the tesco ones, they were the same uncooked discs I saw (as well as cooked ones) they were very expensive though, in the fancy world food type section.

We made a Chinese takeaway to feed six for the craic over the weekend.

Prawn crackers:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6872

They come in a box of about 100 and cost €0.95. They need to be briefly fried for them to expand. One box would be four or five takeaway portions.

Crispy duck:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6873

The duck was €10 in Tesco, reduced to €5. It was coated in roast duck seasoning and twice baked. The sachet of seasoning was about €1. The pancakes came in a packet of 17 portions of six pancakes for about €4. They probably come in smaller packets, too. The (large) bottle of hoisin sauce was about €2 and was made by Heinz of China.

Chicken curry:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6874

We roasted a chicken and used all the white meat for the curry. The sauce was made with one tub of "Goldfish" brand curry sauce - the one that's mentioned in above posts, which cost about €3. An onion was added, too.

The rice was boiled with a little of the duck and chicken juice and then egg-fried with a few peas.

Fortune cookies:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6875

€1.50 for 10.

All the stuff we made is not "Beat the Takeaway" or whatever it's called... it IS the takeaway. Of course, it's not "real" from scratch cooking and it's absolutely riddled with salt/MSG, sugar, fat and artificial this, that and the other, but... it tastes good! :D

All ingredients were sourced in a Chinese supermarket in Dublin... if you are trying to recreate a particular takeaway dish just go in and ask them how it's made!

lovely looking meal there little alex,lol all my favourits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Searched Chinese curry sauce and found this thread! Quality. Maybe in a year or two i could manage meal that Little Alex put together BTW looks delicious.

Advertisement