Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks for the offer, but please turn off Caps Lock. It comes across as if you are shouting. :)

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

How about chicken dry and spicy/chicken with chili and garlic salt.

Also spicy chips? i assume that is similar to the above

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I would love a recipe for homemade black bean sauce. I love tofu in a black bean sauce and would really like to make this at home from scratch! thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

No.11 with boiled rice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Give me a recipe for a good satay please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

chicken ball batter please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Salt chilli king prawns in batter

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Ok. Caps lock is off. Apologies.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68509890#post68509890
    The above is a link to the salt and chilli chicken i posted a while ago. Enjoy

Use the same recipe for the king prawns but cook them from raw. Dont boil or steam them like with the chicken. one of my favourites.

• Advertisement

Chicken ball batter. For the batter simply mix self raising flour , water and a little vegetable oil to make a nice thick batter.
    Rule 1 . Use cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces
    Rule 2 . If using prawns or fish they should be raw.
    Rule 3 . season the chicken or prawns with salt, pepper, and a little sesame oil.
    Rule 4 . NEVER season the batter as it can cause it to come out a bit soft and not crispy enough.

You can add a little turmeric to the batter for a nice colour if wished

For the satay sauce i need to know if its for a dip to go with skewers or for cooking a main course. Quite different sauces for each

Black Bean Sauce. There are lots of black bean sauces out there but to start from scratch u need to get actual black beans from an asian shop. they are semi dry and resemble small raisins but black in colour. the jars and tins of black bean sauce to me taste very processed.

Step 1. put black beans, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, and a good dash of veg oil into a food processor and whizz for 20 or 30 seconds. This will keep in a sealed container in your fridge for 4 to 6 weeks. just make sure that there is a layer of oil on top of the mix.

Step 2. Cut up ure tofu and deep fry for 3 or 4 mins. Leave to one side. you can use unfried tofu but it tends to break up and looks unsightly.

Step 3. Assemble whatever veg u want to use.

Step 4. very hot wok or deep pan. add some veg oil. add half teaspoon minced garlic and 1 teaspoon of black bean mix. add veg. add good splash of wine. keep everything moving until wine evaporates. add some water

Step 5. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste

Step 6. Add the tofu and a dash of dark soya sauce.

Step 7. Thicken with some potato flour mixed with water (or cornflour and water)

Step 8. Add 5 or 6 drops of sesame oil

ENJOY

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

jassha wrote: »
    Black Bean Sauce. There are lots of black bean sauces out there but to start from scratch u need to get actual black beans from an asian shop. they are semi dry and resemble small raisins but black in colour. the jars and tins of black bean sauce to me taste very processed.

Step 1. put black beans, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, and a good dash of veg oil into a food processor and whizz for 20 or 30 seconds. This will keep in a sealed container in your fridge for 4 to 6 weeks. just make sure that there is a layer of oil on top of the mix.

Step 2. Cut up ure tofu and deep fry for 3 or 4 mins. Leave to one side. you can use unfried tofu but it tends to break up and looks unsightly.

Step 3. Assemble whatever veg u want to use.

Step 4. very hot wok or deep pan. add some veg oil. add half teaspoon minced garlic and 1 teaspoon of black bean mix. add veg. add good splash of wine. keep everything moving until wine evaporates. add some water

Step 5. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste

Step 6. Add the tofu and a dash of dark soya sauce.

Step 7. Thicken with some potato flour mixed with water (or cornflour and water)

Step 8. Add 5 or 6 drops of sesame oil

ENJOY

Sounds great thanks, will definately be trying this. I don't think i will be able to get the dried beans just yet, plus i have a tin sitting there for a while so i'll see how i get on with that. Will get the dried the next time.
    Just a quick question, is there any particular type of wine, red or white?

cheers!

Does not really matter but for something as strong as black bean a dash of red is nice. use white if doing a straight stir fry or for things like salt and chilli chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I fancy a quick & tasty Sweet 'n Sour sauce - any suggestion please ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I used to get a starter it was basically a cold satay chicken salad with a bit of a kick. They called it 'bang bang chicken'. Would anybody have a proper name for it.

Actually called bon bon chicken. Bon is a chinese word for the stick they used to bang the cooked chicken flat. use a shop bought satay mixed with a little peanut butter and chopped chilli depending on how hot u like it. add a little warm water when mixing to make it easier

mix together the following in a pot and bring to the boil..
    half litre vinegar
    1 and half litres water
    6 cloves garlic
    2 inch piece of ginger
    sliced orange
    sliced lemon
    2 sticks celery chopped
    dash worchestershire
    half litre ketchup

when boiled add approx 1 kg sugar and mix well
    simmer for 10 mins
    strain

use as required by stir frying some veg, add the sauce, and thicken with potato flour when boiled

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

i would love to have a recipe for shredded duck spring roll please?

• Advertisement

ilovetorun wrote: »
    i would love to have a recipe for shredded duck spring roll please?

do u have cooked duck or are u starting from scratch with a raw duck. Alot of time and work if starting from raw

I have never made them before so which is best?

for doing them at home u are really better off to buy a pre cooked aromatic duck from an asian foodstore or even ure local takeaway. Heres what to do

1. stir fry some beansprouts, shredded carrot, shredded courgette, shredded spring onion in a little minced garlic.
    2. Add water
    3. season with salt, pepper, and sugar
    4. Cook for 3 or 4 mins then pour into a strainer and leave to drain an to cool.
    5. Shredd ure duck
    6. when beansprouts are cold add a little 5 spice powder and a litle hoi sin sauce and mix well
    7. make the rolls using approx one quarter duck to 3 quarter beansprouts
    8. Deep fry for 3 to 4 mins
    9. Serve with hoi sin sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Here is my homemade version of aromatic crispy(ish) duck (no deep frying).

Here is my homemade version of aromatic crispy(ish) duck (no deep frying).

sounds delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Hi, how long would the sauce stay fresh? Thanks for the recipes; going try out with salt & chilli chicken this week. Have you a recipe for barbeque ribs please too?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LD

jassha wrote: »
    mix together the following in a pot and bring to the boil..
    half litre vinegar
    1 and half litres water
    6 cloves garlic
    2 inch piece of ginger
    sliced orange
    sliced lemon
    2 sticks celery chopped
    dash worchestershire
    half litre ketchup

when boiled add approx 1 kg sugar and mix well
    simmer for 10 mins
    strain

use as required by stir frying some veg, add the sauce, and thicken with potato flour when boiled

Enjoy

A half litre of vinegar and a kilo of sugar? I presume this is chinese take-away recipes then?

Ken Hom has a nice one (for pork actually but the same thing) with a bit of stock, about a tablespoon of sugar and rice wine vinegar, some soya sauce, some tomato paste, it'd be good for those that don't like the syrupy take-away sauces. You'll probably get it if you google it, if not I could put it up.

Goodne wrote: »
    Hi, how long would the sauce stay fresh? Thanks for the recipes; going try out with salt & chilli chicken this week. Have you a recipe for barbeque ribs please too?

sauce will last for a couple of weeks. mainly sugar and vinegar so its more or less self preserving. BBQ ribs tomorrow at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Can you post a recipe for curry sauce? It's extremely hard to find it where I am. Definitely miss it! Thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the duck spring roll recipe jassha:D

Advertisement