Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

For chicken and king prawns would I need to cook them first? And then throw them into the wok after they are cooked? Or could they be cooked in the wok with the sauce?

Also, does anyone know of any Asian shops in Dublin city centre? Preferably around the Lower O'Connell St or Henry St area please?

I'll be in Dublin this Sat so wouldn't mind paying a visit to one. Unfortunately I don't know my way around Dublin city too well, only know the Grafton St, Henry Street and O'Connell St areas.

I would cook the chicken first but not the prawns, just add them raw for the final 2 mins or so

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

Just wondering if anyone had a good recipe for take away style Chinese chicken curry. Relay want to try making it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Try this thread that I've just merged your post into :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Any chance of a bump on the duck in plum sauce? Id love to make it tomorrow or sat!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

My absolute favourite chinese takeaway is chicken or beef with mushroom. I've tried but failed to rival the sauce at home, any chance of a recipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

use the "search this thread" link on the right hand side and type in what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LadyHeart

jassha wrote: »
    EVERYTHING U WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT CHINESE COOKERY IS NOW AVAILABLE. JUST ASK .

Just bumping up for someone

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DonQuigleone

Anyone have any advice for buying and preparing Sichuan Peppercorns? My experience has been uneven with them, and I haven't had much success at extracting the "numbing" flavour from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@LadyHeart - Do not bump threads unnecessarily. It adds nothing to the discussion.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jassha wrote: »
    Have several recipes for ribs . Heres an easy one for at home. Will post others as well later.

1. Cut ure ribs into individual pieces and put in a good size pot.
    2. Put enough water to just cover the ribs
    3. Add a tin of shop bought Hoi Sin sauce
    4. Add a spoon of salt 4 spoons of sugar
    5. Add full head of garlic chopped and a couple of pieces of ginger
    6. Add 4or 5 star anise and 3 or 4 bay leaves

taste the liquid and add more salt and sugar to taste

Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins. turn off heat and leave to rest in pot for another 30 mins
    Remove the ribs from the liquid and leave to cool
    Keep the liquid. You can use it as a sauce to go with the ribs. Just add a little dark soy , heat it up and thicken it with potato starch mixed with a little water. season if needed with salt and sugar.
    I made this sauce without the ribs and it was lovely, had it with wings. Very similar to the local takeaways BBQ sauce, out of my 4 local ones I would say I would prefer it over 3 and on a par with the other. My other taster was amazed it was so similar too.

I had used just hoi sin before and though it was nice, but it was missing something. I think its the star anise that was the main thing.

My one mistake was adding potato starch straight to the boiling sauce at the end. I did try and tap it in as a fine powder but I still got these little balls of congealed potato starch that I fished out. So adding the starch to cold water & mixing before hand is essential.

Got all my ingredients in georges street in dublin city, would have cost a fortune in tesco for the amount I got. My garlic & ginger was just a jar of both minced together. I am sure fresher would be nicer, but the jar is cheap & convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Would you have the recipe for beef with honey and black pepper sauce please?

Or even just how to make the black pepper sauce.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Davexirl wrote: »
    Would you have the recipe for beef with honey and black pepper sauce please?

Or even just how to make the black pepper sauce.

Thanks

A recipe for Black Pepper Sauce was posted earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

shinikins wrote: »
    A recipe for Black Pepper Sauce was posted earlier in the thread.

Thanks and I should have used the searched the thread first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi,

Does anybody have a receipe for the chilli chicken that Ging zing in liffey valley has? it seems to have the same sort of batter as smoked shredded chicken but I could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭polarbearhead

where can one get potato flour? have never seen it in any supermarkets

where can one get potato flour? have never seen it in any supermarkets
    I have only seen it in asian supermarkets & some health food shops. I was saying earlier that potato flakes, like "smash" might be a substitute but having since got the flour I find it to have far more thickening properties, so it might be OK as a coating substitute but not for thickening.

EDIT: shows up in holland & barrett
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=3104&prodid=3727

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wendle Gee

Jassa,

I googled Amber Fire Chicken and your thread came up from Jan 2011 but I couldn't find a response from you. The dish may be the invention of a few resturants around Cork. I never had it before I went to a place called Tastee in Ballincollig (now called the golden lily or something) and I've been to loads of Chinese resturants around the country and abroad . It is a very nice dish. I have tried to cook it myself at home but seem to be close but not quite there. It is broadly speaking a stir fry with a soy sauce and sesame based sauce with a nice kick from chopped chilies. I might try tamarind concentrate the next time to see if it gets me there but if you know the recipe it would eliminate a lot of trial and error.

Regards

Wendle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Jassha,

many thanks, I've learned how to make Chow Mein from this thread - the better half loves it so it's a success :)

Any guidance for Singapore Fried Rice by any chance? Searched the thread but no joy.

Thanks!

Liamalone wrote: »
    Any guidance for Singapore Fried Rice by any chance?
    It would be similar to singapore noodles here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68951348&postcount=73

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

rubadub wrote: »
    It would be similar to singapore noodles here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68951348&postcount=73

Saw that during the search, will give it a rattle before the end of the week. Ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 aisling1725

Could you please post the recipe for spicy chicken or beef I love the sauce that it is in. Also recently had amber fire chicken. It was lovely do u have the recipe for that also?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

I always wandered how exactly the Chinese make their sliced onion so crisp and fresh tasting?

My father is a chef but where he works is the kind of place that Chinese food is unheard of (old man type of club) and he reckons its just a case of soaking them in water over night?

Not sure what that theory is based on but sounds a bit dodge!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

DAZP93 wrote: »
    I always wandered how exactly the Chinese make their sliced onion so crisp and fresh tasting?

My father is a chef but where he works is the kind of place that Chinese food is unheard of (old man type of club) and he reckons its just a case of soaking them in water over night?

Not sure what that theory is based on but sounds a bit dodge!

The way to achieve this is a super hot wok/pan and stir fry the onions for around 2 mins in a little oil. The key is the heat and only add the oil immediately before adding the onions, otherwise it will start to smoke. The edges of the onions should carmelise and the raw taste/texture will be gone, but they should be still nice and firm and taste great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I cant imagine soaking them in water would help, to get something nice and crisp it needs to be relatively dry. All that extra moisture from soaking would surely make it harder to crisp up?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

I cant imagine soaking them in water would help, to get something nice and crisp it needs to be relatively dry. All that extra moisture from soaking would surely make it harder to crisp up?

I couldnt agree with you any more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Best.
    Thread.
    EVER.

:D

Thank you Jassha !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

LadyHeart wrote: »
    Just bumping up for someone

Great bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Wendle Gee wrote: »
    Jassa,

I googled Amber Fire Chicken and your thread came up from Jan 2011 but I couldn't find a response from you. The dish may be the invention of a few resturants around Cork. I never had it before I went to a place called Tastee in Ballincollig (now called the golden lily or something) and I've been to loads of Chinese resturants around the country and abroad . It is a very nice dish. I have tried to cook it myself at home but seem to be close but not quite there. It is broadly speaking a stir fry with a soy sauce and sesame based sauce with a nice kick from chopped chilies. I might try tamarind concentrate the next time to see if it gets me there but if you know the recipe it would eliminate a lot of trial and error.

Regards

Wendle

Sorry for bumping this post but as I was reading over this last page it caught my eye. I believe a restaurant in Patrickswell, Limerick called Dragon I claim to have invented this Amber Fire dish and named it for a local business, I've been in there a few times and remembered it from the menu. If this is true and they are now selling it in other takeaways around the country it would be an astonishing insight into the chinese restaurant community in the country, most of them are very similar outside of the very best ones(IMO of course)

Here is the menu of dragon I, look at number 44

http://www.dragoni.ie/images/A3%20take%20away%20menu_Layout%201.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Nice thread - any suggestions for side salads to accompany beef and chicken main courses for a Asian themed dinner party?

Maybe something like this http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/0929/1241-chinese-leaf-orange-and-walnut-salad/ though the cottage cheese doesn't sound particularly appetising to me.

Advertisement