Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jingle Bells 5K

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

They seem to have only provisional results for 2008 up. If you look at the 2007 results they stopped recording times at 500 finishers (27 minute mark) and a further 400 runners crossed the line after that.......

So, you should be in good, and plentiful, company :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm only running 5km in 25 - 26 mins at the moment! Am I gonna be left at the back on my own?
    If you're at the back at that sort of pace I'll be joining you!

Seriously though - at that sort of pace you're far from being the slowest in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I did this last year - its grand. Assuming its the same course - little bit of a hill towards the end (coming out of furry glen) from what I recall, but nothing too bad.

The only results they put up were the top 120, which was a bit annoying, altho there was no chip timing I suppose, and the accuracy levels wouldn't be the best with loads of people all coming in around the same time.

c.25-26 minutes is great going - no way you'd be at the back with that.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Killerz wrote: »
    I did this last year - its grand. Assuming its the same course - little bit of a hill towards the end (coming out of furry glen) from what I recall, but nothing too bad.

The only results they put up were the top 120, which was a bit annoying, altho there was no chip timing I suppose, and the accuracy levels wouldn't be the best with loads of people all coming in around the same time.

c.25-26 minutes is great going - no way you'd be at the back with that.

Good luck!

Just registered for this today.
    25-26 mins will be bang in the middle of the pack OP, enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Just registered for this today.
    25-26 mins will be bang in the middle of the pack OP, enjoy.

Will do! Does anyone know where the race numbers should be picked up? I'm not familiar with where the running club is...

Also, is it just the registration fee or are there sponsors/donations to be made too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Will do! Does anyone know where the race numbers should be picked up? I'm not familiar with where the running club is...

Also, is it just the registration fee or are there sponsors/donations to be made too?

Clubhouse is on the Chapelizod Rd. just before the village on the river side of the road, left as you head away from the city.

"Race numbers will not be posted out, they will be available for collection at the race HQ in Donore Harriers sportscentre in Chapelizod from 8.30am on morning of race."
    http://www.donoreharriers.com/home_nav_12.html

Reckon that fee just covers registration, think you can donate via the activeglobal link by choosing a donate and entering your own fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Anybody have a map of the route for this?

Also I assume its ok to just turn up and pay on the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Anybody have a map of the route for this?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7593398

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Woddle wrote: »

Cheers Woddle. looks like quite an easy course, with a nice downhill at the end. Any tips on parking the car? In the Park itself or Chapelizod Villiage?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

menoscemo wrote: »
    Cheers Woddle. looks like quite an easy course, with a nice downhill at the end. Any tips on parking the car? In the Park itself or Chapelizod Villiage?

You should be good for parking in the park, it's a pretty small field so even parking along chesterfield avenue would give you a nice warm up jog but I think numbers have to be picked up in the clubhouse. Don't be fooled by the route, it's largely flat but you come into the furry glen then have to climb out of the furry glen at 4k or so...so if you've given your all before that you have to really pull out all the stops for the climb out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Anyone know if you can enter on the day? still in two minds about whether to race or keep training so i dont wanna register if i not gonna end up running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

ecoli wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can enter on the day? still in two minds about whether to race or keep training so i dont wanna register if i not gonna end up running

Fairly sure you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Any tips on parking the car? In the Park itself or Chapelizod Villiage?
    Last year I parked on Acres Road and had a warm up down to the clubhouse (just outside the gates on Chapelizod Road) to collect race number, then jogged up to the starting point, leaving my souvenir mug at a tree near the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Can the race numbers be collected the evening before? Something in me makes me think that I heard that you could. Can anybody confirm or deny?

PS : How bad is the Hill at the end, aiming for a sub 20 but this could affect that target....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Can't remember if you could pick it up the night before last year but then it was on a Sunday.

Sub 20 is possible, did it last year. The start is mad and finding space is a problem until you're past the picnic tables on Acres Road. Don't go out too fast or you'll pay for it as you'll need to keep something back for the last 1.5 kms as there's one very small hill and the nasty hill at the finish.

Thanks...always my problem, starting out too fast - gotta pace myself especially with that hilly finish in mind.

Roll on Saturday, looking forward to it as last few runs have been 10K

Can the race numbers be collected the evening before? Something in me makes me think that I heard that you could. Can anybody confirm or deny?

PS : How bad is the Hill at the end, aiming for a sub 20 but this could affect that target....

Yeah you can definately pick up the numbers at the clubhouse between 2pm and 8pm on friday.

Yeah you can definately pick up the numbers at the clubhouse between 2pm and 8pm on friday.

Race numbers will not be posted out, they will be available for collection at the race HQ in Donore Harriers sportscentre in Chapelizod from 2pm to 8pm on Friday 4th December and 8.30am till 10.30am on morning of race. NOTE: There is very limited parking at the Sportscentre on race day so leave yourself plenty of time to find parking and collect your number.

From the website..... http://www.activeglobal.com/Events/index.cfm?AC=EventDetails_V2&E=82746

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 h8 runnin

its a very fast course in my opinion. if your looking for a 5k pb then this is the race you should do.

there is a hill towards the end but once you come over that hill there is a nice down hill leading up to finish line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

im not madly familiar with the area, will be driving from malahide via the quays and can get as far as the gate from the quays of the phoenix park. anyone care to advise if i i should park as close to that gate as possible and make my way by foot or how would be be best getting there? can i get closer by going up towards the papal cross and taking a turn somewhere?

Thanks

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    im not madly familiar with the area, will be driving from malahide via the quays and can get as far as the gate from the quays of the phoenix park. anyone care to advise if i i should park as close to that gate as possible and make my way by foot or how would be be best getting there? can i get closer by going up towards the papal cross and taking a turn somewhere?

Thanks

I'd imagine your best bet is to drive up the main rd (chesterfield Av) past the cross and park it up just before Furze Rd (You know the Rd that all the adidas race series race finished half way down). The race starts and finishes over at the other end of the Furze rd from what I can gather so that should give you about a 3/4 mile warm up/warm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I'd imagine your best bet is to drive up the main rd (chesterfield Av) past the cross and park it up just before Furze Rd (You know the Rd that all the adidas race series race finished half way down). The race starts and finishes over at the other end of the Furze rd from what I can gather so that should give you about a 3/4 mile warm up/warm down.
    if rather than taking the left for the cross i go straight through the roundabout, pull in and park somewhere there, in which direction am i going for the clubhouse.

thanks

Sorry kenny, thought you meant getting to the start line with your number....for the clubhouse, continue from the quays straight on. Don't turn into the park at all. You pass the main entrance to the park on your right, go straigh through the traffic lights about a mile and you will see another gate to the park on you right (chapelizod gate- the gate you left the park in the marathon), Donore harriers is a few hundred yards furhter on on the left just as you come into chapeilzod villiage. Pick up your number and park up just inside the chapelizod gate. Apparently parking at the club house is v limited.

http://www.donoreharriers.com/home_nav_12.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone know if they'll have a clock at the finish line? Can't remember from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

mloc123 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they'll have a clock at the finish line? Can't remember from last year.
    I'm quite sure I remember one from last year.

To those driving, watch for potential traffic restrictions on Chesterfield Ave as per the race route map.
    Most people seem to park on the cycle track (grrr) on Chapelizod Road.

BTW, here is a photo of the final climb from 2007.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What's the easiest way to get the clubhouse via public transport - I'm guessing get a 25A up from town?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 anfearruaaris

Get the bike out and pedal up the quays you'll be there in about 15 mins from O'Connell St. This is a great race to be a part of and fingers crossed for a dry morning, that downward hill into the glen can be very slippery when wet!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

What's the easiest way to get the clubhouse via public transport - I'm guessing get a 25A up from town?

25, 66 & 67 all run past the clubhouse afaik...

Just collected numbers - took a while though. Hopefully for those of you collecting numbers tomorrow that it is faster. Give yourself a bit time for collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Looking like its gonna be a bit wet out there tomorrow morning.... shame.... but bring it on anyway:D

Advertisement