Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mammy

Options
  • 05-11-2009 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

What is an Irish Mammy? Do you have one? Are you one?

My Ma likes to watch the Late Late. Does that make her one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A Proper Irish Mammy makes a Sunday Roast everyday.

My Mammy is not a proper Irish Mammy Most days. It really depends how much I am pissed off really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Irish mammy syndrome is short hand for the passive agressive manipulative manner in which some women control thier children even when those children are in thier 40s.

It also tends to go hand in hand with the worship of their sons and handicapping them to be able to look after themsleves as they were never made pick up after themselves or cook or do any household chores for themsevles, while also putting down thier daughters and trying to stiffle their spirit as they may as well get used to the life of being a stay at home skivy rather then getting notions.

It is a perverse type of self martyrdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Irish mammy syndrome is short hand for the passive agressive manipulative manner in which some women control thier children even when those children are in thier 40s.

It also tends to go hand in hand with the worship of their sons and handicapping them to be able to look after themsleves as they were never made pick up after themselves or cook or do any household chores for themsevles, while also putting down thier daughters and trying to stiffle their spirit as they may as well get used to the life of being a stay at home skivy rather then getting notions.

Oh oh oh, I like this one Better, I agree with most of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

WindSock wrote: »
    What is an Irish Mammy? ?

They make the best coddle in the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Nailed! As usual. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

My mother in law is actually completely great. She's a terrible cook as well, so I don't even get the whole, "It's not as good as my mother's" thing when I make something, which is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

She is someone who licked a hanky and wiped your face with it while restraining you with a vulcan death grip.

She was someone who showed you how to peel potatoes and make stew when you were 4 and a half if you were her daughter, but brought breakfast and dinner to you in bed till you were 39 if you were a son!

She is someone who would be able to artfully slap the legs off you for laughing in mass in the split second when no-one was looking!

She is someone who went to funerals for recreation.

She loves tea above anything else in the world.

She was obsessed with the neighbours and anyone knocking unexpectedly on the door would result in the Mammy of the house administering a hearty beating to any child who was nearby out of frustration that she'd been 'caught with coats hanging on the hallway bannistair' -she would then open the door with a look of saintly pleasure on her face and welcome the despised unannounced caller into 'the good room'

The 'good room' was a small museum kept by the Irish Mammy to trick visitors into thinking the inhabitants of the house lived like Gentry with a china cabinet containing the 'good delf' and a suite of furniture with those doily things on the headrests and armrests. There would be a crazy busy flowery carpet on the floor as well as a clashing rug with fringes which the kids would be made comb with a hairbrush.

Ahhh.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I don't believe there's such thing to be honest.
    It's just a complete stereotype.

If anyone accused my mother of being in any way like how the "irish mammy" is said to be here, I'd probably want to slap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Is your mammy and my mammy one and the same? :eek:

Is your mammy and my mammy one and the same? :eek:

Thank the gods my Mammy wasn't like that, but I have suffered the sons of Irish Mammys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

stovelid wrote: »
    They do the best mollycoddling in the whole world.
    FYP.

My gran is the ultimate Irish mammy - her two older sons (one being my dad) are utterly hopeless 'round the house. She did leave them just drop things on the floor and she'd come running to pick them up. However, her third son is a good bit younger than his brothers and turned out - to their horror - to be a bit of a hippie type who believes in gender equality and stuff, so he's not too bad. :pac:

My nana was different - but not dissimilar. Her boys wouldn't have to lift a finger either, but she never stopped nagging them.

My mother prides herself on not being an Irish mammy - and she isn't... most of the time. Occasional hints of it shine through all right - in terms of how she treats her boys. And she does the whole "You haven't come to see me in ages" thing to me (I see her every few days) and not my brother, who sees her every few weeks, and he lives the same distance from her as I do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Honestly, I think this kind of treatment of their sons is nothing more than pure contempt, treating them like incompetant noobs.

Best definition of Irish mammy I have seen. Should be published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 suki07

they're obsessed with cleaning and what the neighbours think!

Thats cos they are 'RESPECTABLE' and want to remain so and don't want them and thier family to be the talk of the parish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

I don't believe there's such thing to be honest.
    It's just a complete stereotype.

If anyone accused my mother of being in any way like how the "irish mammy" is said to be here, I'd probably want to slap them.

It's definitely not just a stereotype! There are "Irish mothers" and then there are "Irish Mammys", there's a difference. By the sounds of things, you have an Irish mother, not an Irish Mammy.

My Nanny, and I LOVED her to bits was a major Irish Mammy, she could have lectured in it. My mother does have touches of the Irish Mammy about her too alright it must be said... Therefore my Dad is useless in the kitchen and pretty much has always had everything done for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mine isn't a typical Irish Mammy. I think..

She doesn't go to mass.
    Doesn't cook much at home. Even though she's a chef.
    I often go to the pub with her when we are both finished work.
    We go to music festivals together.

But she does spoil the shite outta my little brother! The day I turned 15 I had to get a job and pay for most things myself, and do to this day. But my brother is nearly 18 and he's never had a job and she pays for everything for him! Really pisses me off!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh god yes. Nail hitting head and one reason why I have an abject phobia if I even sniff the type.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There's as many negative stereotypes here than at a Millwall/West Ham/Leeds mini-tournament, but Oh The Humanity nails it for me.

My mother is somewhat like that with my brother to my detriment...does that mean I'm the daughter? :eek: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

@ Oh The Humanity;

Ah yes, the infamous good room. It had a divine air about it, which was probably just the musky smell it acquired from being used twice a year. Despite being used only twice a year it was subjected to rigorous cleaning procedures twice a week. It also contained the drinks cabinet where brandy was kept in constant supply and fed to whoever the guest may be whilst talking about the current local scandal. Our particular brand of good room ended up being Mammy's shrine to Waterford Crystal.

Nothing bates Mammy's cooking though, I tell ya that for nothin' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

WORD PERFECT. Bravo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

This is my mammy.
    Now, don't get me wrong...I love the woman to bits, but I really wish she'd snap out of the Irish mammy-ness. Some hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

My mom is a native american (chumash) indian... everything about her kinda goes against what an 'Irish Mammy' is... :rolleyes:

The only element left out of thaed's description is their uncanny and precise ability to master the guilt trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

She is someone who would be able to artfully slap the legs off you for laughing in mass in the split second when no-one was looking!

She is someone who went to funerals for recreation.

She loves tea above anything else in the world.

She was obsessed with the neighbours and anyone knocking unexpectedly on the door would result in the Mammy of the house administering a hearty beating to any child who was nearby out of frustration that she'd been 'caught with coats hanging on the hallway bannistair' -she would then open the door with a look of saintly pleasure on her face and welcome the despised unannounced caller into 'the good room'

The 'good room' was a small museum kept by the Irish Mammy to trick visitors into thinking the inhabitants of the house lived like Gentry with a china cabinet containing the 'good delf' and a suite of furniture with those doily things on the headrests and armrests. There would be a crazy busy flowery carpet on the floor as well as a clashing rug with fringes which the kids would be made comb with a hairbrush.

Ahhh.............

I think thats more of a culchie mammy. Irish mammy's were brilliant in all areas except for clothing decisions. T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I confess! I'm an Irish Mammy's Boy. The shaaaaaaaaaaame!

The only element left out of thaed's description is their uncanny and precise ability to master the guilt trip.

I think that's covered by the passive aggressive manner. ;)

I think that's covered by the passive aggressive manner. ;)

Yeah they are not unrelated all right, share a few things in common but still a bit different, one is about expressing rage without having to responsible for your anger and the other is about manipulation and control. They are both obscured and below the belt so to speak but have a different place.

Honest to god, I dont know how anyone survives them. I know of a 55 year old farmer whose sister makes a special trip from Dublin to do his laundry. [the mammy died so now she is the matriarch] He can drive a tractor and run a farm but cant tie a child's shoelace. You know what. Its sad. I really do feel sad for these men.

I used to and then I stopped when I realised that **** it if they wanted they could make and effort to learn. If I can take up and learn woodturning, they could have the self respect to learn how to use a washing machine, it's not rocket science.

There comes a point where we as adults have to stop blaming our parents and take responsibility for ourselves and learn the basic skills to be able to function in this world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My mum is one of the nice Irish mammies.

She is a great cook, likes us all to sit down together to meals, spoiled my brothers. But she is not controlling or anything like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement