Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sport(s) do you hate?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Soccer
    what about the fact that the yanks call the american football the world series no one else plays it.

Baseball. There's Canadain teams in it. And its played in lot of places outside of the US like Cuba and Japan. Even played in the Olypmics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Cricket
    Heineken Cup rugby. Seems like only the Irish teams are interested in this. Note how only about 5 of the English team's fans showed up among the 90,000 Munster fans in Murrayfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Holsten wrote: »
    Cricket.

Ugh.

cricket is the only sport where you appreciate it and understand it better p!ssed out of your face.just look at the barmy army

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

Surprised nobody has mentioned Darts yet.

I mean, Phil "The Power" Taylor.....WTF!!!!!!
    Phil "I'm a fat w**ker who hasn't seen my c*ck in years" Taylor.

He claimed a few years ago that Darts players train harder than premiership footballers.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people playing it in the pub while having a few drinks and what-not but that's all it is; a pub game. It's not a sport!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

Cricket
    GAA - I fupin hate it!

It's the crowd it draws more than anything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

American Football
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Heineken Cup rugby. Seems like only the Irish teams are interested in this. Note how only about 5 of the English team's fans showed up among the 90,000 Munster fans in Murrayfield.

Because Oirish people are only interested when a team they "support" is doing well.

Example. About 500-1100 people regularly attend Shelbourne league matches.

When they played Deportivo La Coruna in 2004 there were 24,000 people at the match "supporting" Shels.

Another example is the way fúck all people currently go to see the Irish football team play, because they are currently shíte, nobody wants to be associated with them.

Irish people are not sports fans. They are event junkies. They go to events so they can tell their mates in work the next day that they were there.

Another example is gah "fans" who couldn't give a fiddlers about the league games, but traipse en masse on Croke Park once or twice a summer. Especially "Dubs" and Kerry "supporters".

It's endemic in this country.

Look at the sudden rise in the Sunderland interest.

Idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

Gaelic Football
    Where the heck are Golf and F1 on the poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SarahChambers

Hurling
    I respect the talent and dedication of all top sportsmen and women, but I think that GAA is a terrible drain on Irish sporting talent, and is a big part of the reason why Ireland constantly underachieves at events such as the Olympics. New Zealand, an island nation with a similar number of inhabitants to our own consistently produces teams and athletes who are more than capable of competing and indeed winning at an international level. Yes they recieve more funding than Irish sport and perhaps have a superiour gene pool when it comes to athletic performance, but unlike Ireland they do not have an anachronistic and insular national sport which takes the lion's share of the nations talent. Of course heritage and tradition are important, but not at the cost of international performance. That is why I loathe the GAA as an instituation.

damienmcd wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Darts yet.

I mean, Phil "The Power" Taylor.....WTF!!!!!!
    Phil "I'm a fat w**ker who hasn't seen my c*ck in years" Taylor.

He claimed a few years ago that Darts players train harder than premiership footballers.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people playing it in the pub while having a few drinks and what-not but that's all it is; a pub game. It's not a sport!!!

dont think it was mentioned cause as you rightly say it aint a sport its a pub game. citywest meant to be good craic for it though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Soccer
    Do it while drinking, changes everything

I hate that Olympic walking race thing too, how stupid do they look?

That ridiculous "sport" goes against the natural dynamic of walking gifted to us by quadzillion years of evolution - Idiots training for gammy hips and arthritis beyond belief - thats what it fcuking is...... Dopes.....

- I see our latest medal winner in this discipline also excels at anorexia too :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

American Football
    Could a mod add golf and Motor Racing to the poll please?

Gotta have an even field.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Gaelic Football
    Horse racing - takes up half our sports budget, and only exists on such a big scale because of gambling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

damienmcd wrote: »
    Phil "The Power" Taylor

Come on, his picture is beside the definition of Athlete in the dictionary.

American Football
    Des wrote: »
    Because Oirish people are only interested when a team they "support" is doing well.

Hold on a second Des, being a proud Munster supporter since I was young, I have supported them through the bad times and good and I bet many others are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

American Football
    I don't hate hurling or football as such, but I hate the mindset of GAA heads that believe its the only sport and do everything in their power to stop players playing other sports as well. Such as arranging training at the same time as soccer or rugby matches and stuff like that.
    There's room for all sports in this day and age.

American Football
    Des wrote: »
    Another example is the way fúck all people currently go to see the Irish football team play, because they are currently shíte, nobody wants to be associated with them.

For god sake, who would pay 55 euro for a stand ticket for a soccer friendly (which are generally poor spectacles)?

Soccer prices are insane imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Basketball
    Rugby. Proof that the Human Race hasn't left the cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Tennis
    Rugby. What a load of sh!t.

Basketball
    For god sake, who would pay 55 euro for a stand ticket for a soccer friendly (which are generally poor spectacles)?

This post sums up perfectly the bandwagon jumping mentality of the average Irish Sports fan.

When the Irish Soccer team were in the worlds top ten and qualifiying for world cups this attitude did not prevail. Quite the opposite in fact. People were only too happy to pay €55 euro for a friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

American Football
    i hate all sports... unless its a good GAA match that i go to see ;)

i voted for everything :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cricket
    Of the list I chose both GAA sports as I hate the GAA as an entity. GAA sports should only ever be played at a minor level and then anyone with athletic potential should move on to real international sports.

Baseball is possibly the worst sport in the world. It is so boring. Far worse than cricket will ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Cricket
    Most sports people don't dislike, but rather, they just don't get them. I don't get why Hurling, Horse racing, GAA or soccer are interesting, but I do get how Rugby, Cricket, Baseball, Basketball, Curling, Ice hockey, American football, Aussie Rules etc. are.

Admittedly, I'm a real one for the bat and ball sports.
    what about the fact that the yanks call the american football the world series no one else plays it.

be like the gaa being called the world series

1) That's baseball.

2) The original World Series, held over 100 years ago, was contested between the Boston Red Sox (then American League leaders) and the Pittsburgh Pirates (then National League leaders). It was one of the first interleague series held, and was part sponsored by the Chicago World newspaper, hence World Series. The moniker stuck. As for the winners of the Series and the Superbowl being called world champions, that's because they were, fo a long time, the only professional leagues in those sports.

3) The GAA is not a series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Benhonan

Rugby
    I respect the talent and dedication of all top sportsmen and women, but I think that GAA is a terrible drain on Irish sporting talent, and is a big part of the reason why Ireland constantly underachieves at events such as the Olympics. New Zealand, an island nation with a similar number of inhabitants to our own consistently produces teams and athletes who are more than capable of competing and indeed winning at an international level. Yes they recieve more funding than Irish sport and perhaps have a superiour gene pool when it comes to athletic performance, but unlike Ireland they do not have an anachronistic and insular national sport which takes the lion's share of the nations talent. Of course heritage and tradition are important, but not at the cost of international performance. That is why I loathe the GAA as an instituation.

What an awful attitude - sport as a national export. We're not a communist country like China or the USSR, why does everything have to be measured in terms of international standings? Personally it means a lot more to me to see an excellent game of hurling played at any level than it does to see that Ireland Cricket or Showjumping team have jumped a few places in international rankings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 real_red

Hurling
    Hate Gaelic football and hate the GAA..there's only so many tmes you can play the "its your county" card...zero skill involved in Gaelic football..

And i dispise people who call football "soccer" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Gaelic Football
    Cricket sounds like a great sport to watch. You sit in the sun all day drinking cold beers and watching the game. I'd love to learn the rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

None of the above.

I blindly hate curling because I do not understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

So basically your saying New Zealand have a better rugby team than Ireland... and its the GAA's fault!!!!!

You've got some chip on your shoulder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tennis

I've been to all the recent Ireland friendlies and qualifiers the crowds have been half-decent (if dwarfed by Croker) despite the poor fare and high prices. All within the 40-60 thousand figures IIRC.

The fact is that, despite the poor pool of talent and plodding football, we're still in a half-decent shout of making South Africa.

If our qualifications were dead in the water at an early stage, we would see how loyal the fans really are.

What Des says about Irish football fans and Dublin GAA fans is spot-on.

but why should people pay 80 euro into croke park to sit with a load of snobby pr1cks and watch a game thats lets face it is hardly the most exciting sport in the world and god forgive us if we even tried to create a bit of noise:rolleyes:(soccer hoodlums)

ps post is mostly about leinsters rugby attitude not munsters!!!

• Advertisement

Basketball
    Benhonan wrote: »
    What an awful attitude - sport as a national export. We're not a communist country like China or the USSR, why does everything have to be measured in terms of international standings? Personally it means a lot more to me to see an excellent game of hurling played at any level than it does to see that Ireland Cricket or Showjumping team have jumped a few places in international rankings.

The fact that Ireland doesnt compete at an international in a lot of sports is no great surprise. All you have to do is look at how young kids are coached in football (This is just an example). Dublin has one of the strongest schoolboy set ups in Europe. It's indisputable that the talent is and always has been there but is not fulfilled due to poor coaching.

Advertisement