Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All TV channels missing, but radio is fine - any ideas?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes, i noticed 2 days ago it was all gone from Three Rock, It was on channel 54 today i scanned all frequencies and found it all. They stopped broadcasting on 54 and moved to 61 so all channels are back now. I have RTE1, RTE2, TV3 , TNG and RTE Test , haven't had RTE Test channel before. Nothing on it, just a color bars...

Cool- I'll do a rescan when I get home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

They stopped broadcasting on 54 and moved to 61 so all channels...

If the channels are on 61 rather than 54, would the channel data file be rendered useless to us and leave us Panny owners with no service at all?? Or have they reverted back to 0x01?

Request for DTT channel data file for Greystones relay (Ch 52) if anyone has a LZD81 - Thanks

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Guys i have a Panny G10B and am unsure if i can recieve irish DTT and am unsure how to recieve it

Can anyone enlighten me? From reading your posts there seems to be problems with yer signals.

I can recieve the freesat no problem but would like to try out the dtt service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

The G10B is from the new line of Panasonic Freesat models, so you may or may not encounter the problems reported by other Panasonic owners on this thread. You need to specify your location in order to determine the necessary scan frequency.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes, i noticed 2 days ago it was all gone from Three Rock, It was on channel 54 today i scanned all frequencies and found it all. They stopped broadcasting on 54 and moved to 61 so all channels are back now. I have RTE1, RTE2, TV3 , TNG and RTE Test , haven't had RTE Test channel before. Nothing on it, just a color bars...

I was going to do a rescan on 3Rock yesterday evening- but the original mux is back on (on a lower power), and no rescan necessary. Scan profile indicator shows no additional services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

yayamark wrote: »
    Guys i have a Panny G10B and am unsure if i can recieve irish DTT and am unsure how to recieve it

Can anyone enlighten me? From reading your posts there seems to be problems with yer signals.

I can recieve the freesat no problem but would like to try out the dtt service.

Presuming it is not much different from the previous PZ models, you use the TV button on the remote to select DVB, then Menu - Setup - Tuning Menu - Auto Setup

That will scan for new channels. If all you get are radio stations, welcome to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Im in Limerick

I tried that scan but nothing comes up

Do i need an aerial/rabbits ears.?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

yayamark wrote: »
    Im in Limerick

I tried that scan but nothing comes up

Do i need an aerial/rabbits ears.?

You need a UHF antennae and it needs to be pointed at the nearest UHF transmission mast. I am not sure where that would be for your locale, but I'm sure someone else will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Woodcock Hill I would suggest Ch's 41 - 51 Group B Horizontal.

See page 7 here:-
    http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/ReceivingDTT.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tomdub

Down Exile, I've just read your message! My TV's are still receiving all DVB channels from Three Rock on Channel 54. My software version is 2602-10100.
    I used a London Postcode ( WC2R OJJ ) for my Freesat and Other Sat channels. ITV1 London is on Freesat Channel 103 and the ITV HD Channel is invoked by pressing the red button when requested onscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GadgetGeek

keithoh wrote: »
    The data attached is for the Mt. Leinster transmissions from a TH46PZ81B

Unzip the file and copy the contents onto a SD card and insert into a PZ81B TV

Use password 4851 when prompted

Attachment not found.

Any data for the Spur hill CH 45 transmissions for a TH42PZ81B?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Hi There,

See attached the latest response from Panasonic ... I'm afraid that this is not going anywhere :

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr ******,

Panasonic has received a number of communications from customers residing in the Republic of Ireland concerning the functionality of Freesat and Freeview compliant products. As our customers are aware, Panasonic Freeview product is not sold in the Republic of Ireland. We do, however, market a range of products which are DTT specific to the Republic of Ireland.

Customer queries have primarily been on the capability of these sets to receive the Irish DTT test transmissions. Standard Freeview sets, imported from the UK and Northern Ireland, received the first MPEG2 DTT test transmissions. However, as a consequence of changes to RTE’s direction with regard to test transmissions, we have been aware since mid-April 2009 that this is no longer possible.

Given that we are not directly involved with the testing being carried out by RTE, we cannot offer any formal information regarding testing already carried or, indeed, their future plans.

We would stress that the question of upgrading or altering the specification of these Freeview products in order to enable them to receive the altered DTT signal is more significant than just a software or firmware change, and unfortunately we have no modification available to customers who find themselves in this position. This also applies to any future specification changes that may be requested.

We are aware that a number of entries on various customer forums discuss modification of the firmware. We would stress that action of this nature is entirely at the risk of the customer and Panasonic would neither condone nor enable such an activity for the reasons stated above.

To clarify, the hardware and software on any Freeview compliant products have been designed for operation in the Northern Irish, and mainland UK markets. We are regrettably therefore unable to provide additional support to our customers in the Republic of Ireland who may have purchased these products.

If the users have purchased these units expressly for DTT functionality, and it was marketed to them by the retailer from whom they purchased the unit on this basis alone, we would suggest they contact these retailers to address their issues. We have notified the dealers in the North of Ireland about our opinion on this issue, and the fact that product cannot and should not be sold to customers in Republic of Ireland for Free to Air digital TV reception.

We would further add that Panasonic is not authorised to market Freesat models in the Republic of Ireland, nor to support the operation of the Freesat tuner by way of software or firmware upgrade.

Of course, Panasonic is fully committed to supporting our products marketed specifically for the Republic of Ireland to ensure continued functionality.

We appreciate that this response may cause some disappointment to our customers. However, our position is clear with regard to DTT compliant products in the Republic of Ireland.

Kind Regards
    Dealer Support / Correspondence Team
    Panasonic UK Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So it's the fault of evil dealers mis-selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

In relation to Panasonic's email to Bob11, does anyone here know how difficult it is technically for Panasonic to sort this out?

I am sure in the near future that Freeview in the UK shall be looking to do HD broadcasts....does that mean that these TV's will not work when they decide in the UK to change up to Advanced Television broadcast (0x16)? Otherwise there'll be a heap load of TV's with DTT capabilities for 01(0x01) Digital Television Service broadcasts which won't be able for the 25(0x19) Advanced Codec HD Digital Television Service let alone the 22(0x16) Advanced Codec SD Digital Television Service.

So does anyone here know if a firmware fixed over DTT to these TV's would be possible?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    In relation to Panasonic's email to Bob11, does anyone here know how difficult it is technically for Panasonic to sort this out?

The new Panasonic Irish G10L models correctly scan the channels as reported in this thread. I would imagine that it's highly likely that the UK Freesat G10B series will also scan the channels correctly, but still awaiting cofirmation on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Apogee wrote: »
    The new Panasonic Irish G10L models correctly scan the channels as reported in this thread. I would imagine that it's highly likely that the UK Freesat G10B series will also scan the channels correctly, but still awaiting cofirmation on that.

Excellent news that Apogee, I am due one of these soon (hopefully this week) from Panasonic due to their mess up as I reported on this thread. I will update the thread as soon as I receive it and get it working from Mullaghanish.

None of the Panasonic (nor anyone else's) current TV or Setbox can be made to do UK HD DTT as this needs a different tuner head/DSP chip (different Hardware). Not only will UK HD use MPEG4 H.264 AVC, but it will use DVB-t2 modulation. A new, as yet unavailable commercially, set box with HDMI will be needed for UK HD DTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

watty wrote: »
    None of the Panasonic (nor anyone else's) current TV or Setbox can be made to do UK HD DTT as this needs a different tuner head/DSP chip (different Hardware). Not only will UK HD use MPEG4 H.264 AVC, but it will use DVB-t2 modulation. A new, as yet unavailable commercially, set box with HDMI will be needed for UK HD DTT.

Would this mean then Watty that when the UK launch DVB-T2 receivers that they would not be compatible with the Irish DVB-T MPEG4 signals (and presumably the UK DVB-T FREEVIEW MPEG2 signals)?

Because as these will probably be mass-produced for the UK market it would allow potentially in say a years time to import one of these cheaply for use in Ireland like the current situation where a cheaper SD Freeview box can be got for around £20 now but where are totally incompatible with the yet to launch Irish system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dunno about a years time, think 2 or 3 I would say .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Would this mean then Watty that when the UK launch DVB-T2 receivers that they would not be compatible with the Irish DVB-T MPEG4 signals (and presumably the UK DVB-T FREEVIEW MPEG2 signals)?

Because as these will probably be mass-produced for the UK market it would allow potentially in say a years time to import one of these cheaply for use in Ireland like the current situation where a cheaper SD Freeview box can be got for around £20 now but where are totally incompatible with the yet to launch Irish system.

No. dvb-t2 mpeg4 boxes would be backward compatible with Irish DTT (ie dvb-t mpeg4). But I wouldnt be depending on it. Those UK DVBT2 boxes boxes will not be mass produced initially anyhow. They will be available for those who wish to receive of a few HD terrestrial channels in the UK (ie in addition to the others that will remain in mpeg2).

• Advertisement

An Irish MPEG4 DVB-t or UK Freeview MPEG2 receivers will not work for ANY kind of DVB-t2 service, HD or not.

Just as ALL MPEG4 receivers can do MPEG2 (i.e. Irish receivers will receive Freeview near border), A DVB-t2 receiver will be able to receive existing DVB-t (Freeview MPEG2 or Irish MPEG4).

IN fact the new HD DVB-T2 receivers would be no use if they didn't do Freeview as only a few channels will be HD/DVB-T2 in UK. THe rest will remain as they are.

Such receivers are a few years away from being cheap and when they 1st are in the shops they will be much more expensive than DVB-T MPEG4 as many countries are using MPEG4 and UK will be the first with DVB-T2, I think.

It's likely a receiver (even HD PVR) for Ireland/France/Estonia/NZ/Others will be cheaper than the UK HD DVB-T2 at least 5 years or even longer until DVB-T2 becomes common.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

bob11 wrote: »
    Hi There,

See attached the latest response from Panasonic ... I'm afraid that this is not going anywhere :

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr ******,

The same lies as usual.
    It looks like the Panasonic staff is not able to understand that the pz81b/lzd81b series have an mpeg2/mpeg4 decoder on board and that the tuner has no affiliation to mpeg decoding.
    You should ask them if Panasonic is willing to follow their own declarations:

DVB TH-42PZ81B Declaration of Conformity No. 5263, 9 January 2008
    DVB TH-46PZ81B Declaration of Conformity No. 5262, 9 January 2008
    DVB TH-50PZ81B Declaration of Conformity No. 5261, 9 January 2008
    DVB TX-32LZD81 Declaration of Conformity No. 5755, 23 June 2008
    DVB TX-37LZD81 Declaration of Conformity No. 5756, 23 June 2008

The problem is still a incombatibility with the DVB standard.

The channel scan is not willing to accept and store the irish tv channels in the channel list because service type 0x16 in the service description data for the irish channels is not defined in the firmware.

maxg wrote: »
    DVB TH-42PZ81B Declaration of Conformity No. 5263, 9 January 2008
    DVB TH-46PZ81B Declaration of Conformity No. 5262, 9 January 2008
    DVB TH-50PZ81B Declaration of Conformity No. 5261, 9 January 2008
    DVB TX-32LZD81 Declaration of Conformity No. 5755, 23 June 2008
    DVB TX-37LZD81 Declaration of Conformity No. 5756, 23 June 2008

The problem is still a incombatibility with the DVB standard.

The question arises : conformity with what? Which revision of the DVB standard are the PZ81s supposed to be compliant with?

Apogee wrote: »
    The question arises : conformity with what? Which revision of the DVB standard are the PZ81s supposed to be compliant with?

Due to dvb.org Panasonic declared conformity for following standards:

DVB-CI EN 50221 (CENELEC)
    R 206 001 (CENELEC)
    TS 101 699
    DVB-CSA ETR 289
    DVB-MPEG TR 102 154
    TS 101 154
    DVB-S EN 300 421
    DVB-S2 EN 302 307
    DVB-SI EN 300 468
    TR 101 211
    DVB-SUB EN 300 743
    DVB-T EN 300 744
    TR 101 190

Can you post the DVB webpage link for this?

Hard to know how to interpret that info - there is no reference to the revision number. The DVB-SI standard which lays out the stream flags is 300 468. The newest version v1.10.1, for example, has the "advanced codec" designation, but I've read through older ones and have been unable to find it.

So does DVB conformity mean you must be compliant with the very latest revision, or just whatever revision is current when you file for compliance?

The version which was valid at the day of declaration is the right one.
    I think EN300468 V1.7.1 is the right one. The table for the service type values is the same in v1.7.1 than in v1.10.1 .

300 468 Revisions:

v1.10.1 DVB Document A038r5 : April 2009 (Adanced codec flag listed)
    V1.9.1 DVB Document A038 Rev. 4 : July 2008 (Adanced codec flag listed)
    v1.8.1 DVB Document A038 Rev. 3 : July 2007 (Adanced codec flag listed)
    v1.7.1 May 2006 (Advanced codec flag listed)
    v.1.6.1 Nov 2004 (Advanced code flag not listed)

So the advanced codec flag has been part of the spec since 2006. Since Panasonic filed their compliance claim in 2008, then it appears they are in breach of the standard.

• Advertisement

I would think this info considerably strengthens the hand of people who have bought PZ81Bs. As the manufacturer claims DVB compliance, and the advanced codec flag was part of the standard at they time they made that claim, then the TVs were arguably "not fit for purpose" at the time of purchase. It doesn't matter whether they intended the units to be sold only in the UK or not.

Has anyone contacted the European Consumer Centre?
    http://www.ecic.ie/

Advertisement