Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best .IE name Registar?

Options
  • 31-01-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hello Guys ...

Can you tell me who the best Ie registar for .ie domain names are and why ..

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

from my experience www.blacknight.ie as everything goes smooth and very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

www.register365.com is now only €21.95 ex VAT per annum ,and you get a web based control panel to manage nameservers , renewals as well as 24/7 technical support.

Disclosure - i work for reg365 - so any questions PM me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The best thing you can do for yourself is to see which of the Irish hosts do IE domain registration and look at their packages. Speak with their support staff if you have any questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I quite like www.letshost.ie - domains are €19.99 per year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Can any one posting here declare their employer if relevant to this discussion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

re: Can any one posting here declare their employer if relevant to this discussion?

just out of curiousity and absolutely nothing to do with my orignal question who is your employer? :)

lads keep the names coming thanks ..

i have a few questions about them when i have more domain registars

thanks

Tom

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Can any one posting here declare their employer if relevant to this discussion?

Good idea. I am not employed by letshost, blacknight, or hosting365.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

tmcd wrote: »
    who is your employer? :)

well i'm a mod of this forum - and want to make sure that people aren't just pimping their business.

i work for a large IT multinational that is unrelated to domain name registery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

dublindude wrote: »
    I quite like www.letshost.ie - domains are €19.99 per year.

If speed and performance are important for your website, I wouldn't recommend letshost.ie. Their servers are US based and it is my experience that performance can be very sluggish. It even times out on me from time to time.

(I'm a customer of webhosts... don't work for any)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

di11on wrote: »
    If speed and performance are important for your website, I wouldn't recommend letshost.ie. Their servers are US based and it is my experience that performance can be very sluggish. It even times out on me from time to time.

(I'm a customer of webhosts... don't work for any)

I've only heard bad things about these guys too, I dont know how people put up with them when there are so many options!

• Advertisement

I've actually never experienced their hosting - I just know they are cheap and have prompt and polite customer service.

For all your information, letshost.ie have suspended my website because of my post above. They suspended the account while I was in the middle of downloading a backup of the website.

See for yourself: www.woodentoys.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

From my experience with 2 guys there, they've been very helpful and competitive. Like DublinDude, I've never had hosting from them but their own site (control panels & support sites, etc.) have always been fine. For a long time now, they've been the cheapest provider of .ie domains.
    For all your information, letshost.ie have suspended my website because of my post above. They suspended the account while I was in the middle of downloading a backup of the website.

Suspended because of your post, or suspended because you'd breached T&C/AUP (the link you provide doesn't say)?

cgarvey wrote: »
    From my experience with 2 guys there, they've been very helpful and competitive. Like DublinDude, I've never had hosting from them but their own site (control panels & support sites, etc.) have always been fine. For a long time now, they've been the cheapest provider of .ie domains.

Suspended because of your post, or suspended because you'd breached T&C/AUP (the link you provide doesn't say)?

How would I know - didn't receive an email or a reason. Is it in their T&C that I can't express an opinion of their services? If you are in some way associated with them, perhaps you could enlighten me, or ask them to tell me what I need to do to get my livelihood back online.

How would I know - didn't receive an email or a reason. Is it in their T&C that I can't express an opinion of their services? If you are in some way associated with them, perhaps you could enlighten me, or ask them to tell me what I need to do to get my livelihood back online.

How about you contact them yourself, rather than spreading un-substaniated rumours! Is that not what most people would do? Would you not try that if you "livelihood" depended on it (your livelihood is dependent on shared/virtual hosting??!!)? Use the head.

How about you contact them yourself, rather than spreading un-substaniated rumours! Is that not what most people would do? Would you not try that if you "livelihood" depended on it (your livelihood is dependent on shared/virtual hosting??!!)? Use the head.

Of course I've tried to contact them. Phones on voicemail and emails unanswered.

Try accessing www.woodentoys.ie yourself. It was working this morning. What's unsubstantiated about that?

What's unsubstantiated about that?
    You claiming that they took the site down based on your post above.

I have the email to prove it - after the event however - I received no warning. Breach of T&C according to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Specifically what Term or condition did you breach?

Feel free to PM me if you need any help getting back online... :(

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

It is very likely that this is the case considering what has taken place cg.

See this thread in Feedback. Personally I'm incensed that something like this could occur, and if you cowboys are reading this post (which you obviously are) you can take it that I'll be recommending everyone I know and work with to stay away from you and I hope others will do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

CuLT wrote: »
    It is very likely that this is the case considering what has taken place cg.

See this thread in Feedback. Personally I'm incensed that something like this could occur, and if you cowboys are reading this post (which you obviously are) you can take it that I'll be recommending everyone I know and work with to stay away from you and I hope others will do the same.

Agreed, as I said in the feedback thread I hosted with them before with no trouble and the lads were helpful. I was going to get a hosting package soon but I know I won't be going near them or recommending them.

That's pretty disgraceful behaviour to be honest. If we all cut off customer's who complained we'd never improve as service providers.

Shameful day for irish hosting :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Hosting / Domain name recommendations

http://www.blacknight.ie/ - €45
    http://www.hosting365.com/ - €21.95
    http://www.digiweb.ie/ - €29.99

Take your pick really :)
    bit of a price difference but in order of preference so up to you :) ... you can always mix and match hosting / domain registration one would assume :)

[for the mod ... self employed ... firsthand experience with all three companies at the moment ... as well as letshost.ie but won't comment on them]

edit: hadn't read the rest of the posts ... but it all stays the same when I have.

Personally I didn't like dreamhosts downtime ... but very happy with their support / service (US provider) have mentioned being unhappy in the past and all is good with them.
    Its a bit crazy that someone can't say you aren't happy with the service you are receiving ... if any of the above said that to me or had it in their T&C I'd be dropping them instantly

Its only through our mistakes that we can learn ... and I'd have said its a chance for them to come onboard .. say sorry and we'll work on it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

While I am here can anyone please tell me where I can get some decect hosting that I can pay by laser??

jonny24ie - all of the host mentioned by forbairt accept Laser, including us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

That's pretty disgraceful behaviour to be honest. If we all cut off customer's who complained we'd never improve as service providers.

Shameful day for irish hosting :(:(

Damn it. I find myself agreeing with you again

*sigh*

Seriously though, that's nuts

Cheers Steve. I'll look into all of them now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

blacknight wrote: »
    Seriously though, that's nuts
    I thought they were at least a half respectable company... Di11on, are you absoloutley sure that it was because of that post?

Why the hell would they do that? Muppets..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

personally having been with both blacknight and hosting365 i would recommend and opt for the latter.

guys in hosting365 have been very helpful and efficient as of late and i can also easily manage the 20 odd domains / websites im running from the same control panel :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No offence lads but dillon's problems are on two other threads - in Feedback and Consumer Issues. So I'm just gonna answer the OP :)

I use Digiweb for two domains - hosting. Haven't had a problem with them at all. In fact they even helped me with configuration of one of the services I was setting up on one of them. Prices are reasonable and while I've never had to ring them their email support is very quick.

Recently I registered a .org domain with hosting365 (why not digiweb? - it was €1 cheaper with register365 and I'm a tight ba$tard :D). Only 1 quibble - I was only parking the domain with them and hosting elsewhere but got no option to provide the IP during the purchase. However, I got on to their live help and got a very helpful guy who changed the DNS entry immediately. Next day I realised that the MX record hadn't been changed and got on to the live help again - MX record changed instantly.

So for support there's 2 good experiences with Digiweb and Hosting365. I'd have no problem dealing with either again. There's not a lot in price between most of the better hosters so support is at the top of priorities.

[edit]I see the posts I was referring to at the start have been moved - please ignore the first line ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement