Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I have to breath cigarette smoke.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

kill yourself.

Or just suck it up [pardon the pun], people have habits that offend and irritate others, I'm sure you drive at least 5 different people absolutly mental with things you do that you see no problem with.

A man has a right to smoke in his own garden, so either learn to tolerate it, or move to a biodome somewhere outside Dublin and never leave its protective bubble.

None of my habits damage one's health. (I admit, I chew gum and eat garlic!!)

I know the man has a right in his own garden, I acknowledged it myself, in fact that is why the situation is annoying me.

Corben Dallas, you talk about reformed alcoholics or drug addicts like you know a lot of them.

What do you know about the actual subject: do you smoke, have you achieve to stop smoking? Or is typing free insults on boards.ie your only achievement.

It is easy to say "get over yourself" look: get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

hold on a second, not that smoking is outlawed in all work places, ye all want the smoker not be allowed smoke in his/her garden, car, on the street? :eek:

*OT but why oh why is chewing gum still allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

rubadub wrote:
    The original poster should contact his local TD and ask for the drug to be banned, I think there is some group in the UK looking for an outright ban. I find it bizarre that it is still legal, it contradicts any logic of the other drug laws.

governments giving up all that tax revenue?

HA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Kingp35 wrote:
    Nothing puts me off a girl more than if I see her smoking.
    100% agree. I'd never go out with a girl that smoked. (Might ride her though :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I don't care if you or anyone else doesn't like the smell. As far as I'm concerned if you are far enough away so that you don't suffer any ill effects health wise, then you have no real basis in your complaint. It's my body and I'm perfectly entitled to destroy my own health due to my own stupidity. You are just being a whiney ex smoker like so many others.

My advice, start smoking again and quit using allen carr. Then you might be quite so wound up about them.
    The original poster should contact his local TD and ask for the drug to be banned, I think there is some group in the UK looking for an outright ban. I find it bizarre that it is still legal, it contradicts any logic of the other drug laws.

This logic could easily be extended to alcohol, processed sugar and plenty of other things too. Sure we'd all be healthier. Wouldn't that be great. God loves a nanny state eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I don't think cigarettes should be banned, people should have a right to take whatever substance they want by themselves, but they should ban it in public places altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

=Jeff Bond- seriously man, get over yourself. you share a planet with 6 billion other idiots like myself who are all entitled to live their lives the way they feel fit

-whether it be living it to the most, consuming substances, sticking their fingers up their noses- whatever.

i walk through town constanly inhaling fumes from cars, i go to work and there are chemicals, i go out i have to smell horrible perfumes, i go the bathroom i have to smell(excuse the vulgarity) my excrement, i polish the furniture i have to smell pledge, i sit beside someone and smell BO-their shampoo-unwashed clothes-bodysprays-what they cooked for dinner-their breath-the crap they stood in, i wash the dog it smells.

FFS i could go on for hours, just because smoking has become socially unacceptable (for valid health reasons which i don't deny) does that then give me the right to ban smells everywhere? on my own land? in the streets of my country? across the planet?

i agree with the smoking ban on smoking in enclosed areas for health reasons alone but just because smoking isn't acceptable to our society does that mean because a group of people dont like the smell of something it should be banned?

actually fcuk it lets ban farting, lets make showering twice daily mandatory, ban all smells-actually better yet, lets genetically remove the ability to smell anything but roses unless of course you have a problem with them?

my point is that you are going to need a little tolerance and realise that because you dont like something that someone else may enjoy it and what gives you the right to take that away from them? if they don't sit in an enclosed area where you're health is being affected in any significant way why should it bother you that much-at the end of the day its only a smell and WONT be there forever.

sorry for the rant and i'm not attacking you in any way but you'll have to consider there's at least 5,999,999,999 other people out there and you might be making things a bit whiffy for them through things you do but your smells are slightly more acceptable. social unacceptability due to health reasons is not and excuse for you to get your own way.

or alternatively you could wear an air-freshener around your neck but please dont sit beside me as i find the smell of them offensive. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Your very lucky if all u have to worry about at night is your neighbours smoking ffs, my mother has a gang of scumbags outside her house trying to break windows and graffiting her garage door every damned night.

For gods sake man, get some perspective.
    Im a smoker, and right, we cant in public places, but im as entitled to smoke in my house or garden as you are to sh1t in your toilet and open a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I dislike the scent of flowers. I think they should kill all flowers...

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Now, I moved in a new house, a real paradise, except that my neighbours garden is spoiling it : Birds chirp in his garden, the chirping is going in my house inevitably!! Again this might sound silly but it actually woke me up at 1.30 am on sunday. It sounded like something was chirping in my room!

Kill all birds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Jeff Bond wrote:
    Beruthiel, after second thought, I am not going to Iceland: THERE IS NO SMOKING BAN!

don't be so hasty, there are many places in Iceland which are miles from anywhere and no people!!

Plus I am not alone, my partner couldn't live without my moaning :)

perhaps you over estimate your partners tolerance on the moaning thingie?? :D

I'm sure you drive at least 5 different people absolutly mental with things you do that you see no problem with.

a ban de donc :D

None of my habits damage one's health

unless you count mental stress, which can be quite damaging to ones health....

I'd be inclined to go with the vicks or air-freshener ideas myself, or stick some cotton wool up your nose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Dave wrote:
    Now, I moved in a new house, a real paradise, except that my neighbours garden is spoiling it : Birds chirp in his garden, the chirping is going in my house inevitably!! Again this might sound silly but it actually woke me up at 1.30 am on sunday. It sounded like something was chirping in my room!

Kill all birds.
    Wait till he has a barbeque...I used to barbeque meself, but gave up, and now can't stand to be anywhere near the fumes from them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Jeff Bond wrote:
    I don't think I have a problem : how would you feel if you were regularely woken up because of someone else? Angry I suppose. You maybe right when you say that I feel fear, I'd be afraid to go back smoking like before.
    I don't feel addicted because if I don't smell smoke, I don't think about it for a fraction of a second. And when I smell it, I find it disgusting.

I don't think I made myself clear on one thing: it does smell like someone is smoking in the bedroom. I am not being fussy (this time) :)

Isn't the whole point that you have a problem with your neighbour smoking in his garden? If I was woken up every nigh due to a neighbour I wouldn't be happy but I would close my window if it was smell. How is the smoking getting into the house unless you have the window open or some other opeining to the house?

The reason it is so disgusting is because of what it did mean to you and what you made it become. As I said you aren't addicted you just have a hang up. As there are a lot of smokers about, you need to get used to it and get over your risidual smoking problem. There is no way the room smells like somebody is smoking in the room, it might smell a bit but not as much as somebody is actually smoking in the room. You are either exagerating intentionally or you are overreacting.

There is a reason why ex-smokers are considered the worst anti-smokers there is the anger they have for smoking due to fear of falling off the wagan and the smugness they have from beating an addiction.

Does smoke ever smell good to you? After a few drinks? After a long plane flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Isn't the whole point that you have a problem with your neighbour smoking in his garden? If I was woken up every nigh due to a neighbour I wouldn't be happy but I would close my window if it was smell. How is the smoking getting into the house unless you have the window open or some other opeining to the house?

The reason it is so disgusting is because of what it did mean to you and what you made it become. As I said you aren't addicted you just have a hang up. As there are a lot of smokers about, you need to get used to it and get over your risidual smoking problem. There is no way the room smells like somebody is smoking in the room, it might smell a bit but not as much as somebody is actually smoking in the room. You are either exagerating intentionally or you are overreacting.

There is a reason why ex-smokers are considered the worst anti-smokers there is the anger they have for smoking due to fear of falling off the wagan and the smugness they have from beating an addiction.

Does smoke ever smell good to you? After a few drinks? After a long plane flight?
    "No whore like a reformed whore" (© somebody, years ago)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

rubadub wrote:
    Maybe you are a smoker and hence have a poor sense of smell and taste. I can smell smoke in my work window on the second floor about 50ft away from where people smoke. Women have a better sense of smell, my sister can smell smoke in the house several days after somebody has smoked in the garden.
    May I respectfully suggest a career as a bloodhound as you and your sister seem more than adequately suited to the office.

To the OP, I agree with Morningstar on this. It sounds like you have issues with regard to your (ex)addiction. Your petulant responses to Morningstar and Corben Dallas only adds weight to that argument. The statement that you would be "afraid to go back smoking like before" says it all. You're afraid because you're still a smoker in your mind. You're the one with the problem, not your neighbour.

In fact if it makes you feel "bad physically and very very very bad mentally (i am ready to kill)", you have a lot more problems than you're admitting to. Reacting in such an extreme way to what is essentially nothing is hardly mentally healthy. An attitude like that will shorten your life way more than passive smoking ever would(for which the evidence is slim to nothing BTW, then again you don't want to hear that of course). I hope the rest of your life is so stress free that this is such a big issue for you. If not I feel for you and those around you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wait till he has a barbeque...I used to barbeque meself, but gave up, and now can't stand to be anywhere near the fumes from them...

I wasn't addicted to barbecues fumes for 15 years and I doubt the man decides to make a barbecue at 1.30 am

I sound like I am the evil non-smoker who doesn't want to allow a poor man to smoke in his garden. The fact is that the man doesn't want to smoke in his own house probably because the smell is not acceptable. I assume this because he comes outside, light up, and get back inside.

So tell me my smoker friends : why is that you say I have a problem and I should live with it (smoke of someone else in my house) while you find perfectly acceptable that the guy who smokes doesn't allow his own fumes in his house.

As per the overreacting coment, I deny it. I am truely sensitive to smoke probably because I used to smoke for 15 years think about it.

You keep making comparisons with other annoyances and you can cope with them (wow you're real men and I am an overreacting little boy...), the fact is nobody was addicted to car fumes / barbecue fumes for 15 years!
    All comparisons are pathetics

Actually, I accept the comparison with former alcoholics/drug addict
    I am a former drug addict, I was a smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Ex smoker, Reformed Alcoholic, Clean former Drug addict > they all have 'issues' concerning the ex habit, but they like to wail on ppl who enjoy these in moderatation.EDIT! didnt see yur last post b4 postin this

I would be a casual smoker(Cigars) lot of my my friends smoke, so its a social habit.
    Passive smoking is a crock. plus in the 21st century we have ventlation systems that would work perfectly in pubs, I would accept ppl might have a prob with smoke but I'd prefer to have a choice rather than deal with anti smoking members of the 3rd reich.
    +Yes I do a nice line in Boards retorts. I thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

He questions how many non-smokers there are in the audience, getting them to cheer, before altering perceptions with "What a bunch of whining maggots," nonchalantly pulling out a cigarette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Jeff Bond wrote:
    None of my habits damage one's health. (I admit, I chew gum and eat garlic!!)

If he's smoking in his garden, outside, then the only persons health he's damaging is his own.

And for crying out loud, it's not as if he climbs up to your window, with 20 B&H in hand, giggles like a fiend and starts smoking and exhaling heavily, just to annoy you. The wind just happens to be blowing that direction and carrying it towards you, if the diretion of the wind changed you'd have no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

You keep making comparisons with other annoyances and you can cope with them (wow you're real men and I am an overreacting little boy...), the fact is nobody was addicted to car fumes / barbecue fumes for 15 years!

And did your neighbour force feed you those cancer sticks for 15 yrs ?,NO ,I didn't think so.

Get a life

• Advertisement

Jeff Bond wrote:
    As per the overreacting coment, I deny it. I am truely sensitive to smoke probably because I used to smoke for 15 years think about it.

Actually, I accept the comparison with former alcoholics/drug addict
    I am a former drug addict, I was a smoker.

Why did you bother posting then. Forums aren't exactly place where you find a bunch of people to agree with you without any criticism :rolleyes:

You can't say you are truely sensitive and say you are not over reacting . By admitting your perception is higher than average people it follows that your feelings or reaction are also hightened. As you haven't actually done anything I guess it would be true to say you have not overreacted as you haven't acted on you heightened feels.

You are never really a former addict a reformed addict or a recoveing one is how the proffesionals look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Geez GET A F**KING LIFE! and they say ex smokers are the worst..... well theres yur proof. X-(
    I find ex-heroin addicts even worse, had one living next door to me always moaning about my syringes on my front lawn, cheek of the bastard, I do take the needles off. Just because he was able to give up he thinks he should be able to preach to me.
    His 3 year old daughter was having a birthday party in the back garden, there I was chasing the dragon, minding my own business, my mate on the crack pipe and the self-righteous bastard starts moaning about the smell. He must be worried about falling of the wagon, wants to ruin all my fun too.

This was a good few years back when heroin and crack cocaine were still perfectly legal, just like nicotine bizarrely still is.

If he's smoking in his garden, outside, then the only persons health he's damaging is his own.

Well if I inhale his smoke an a regular basis, it is passive smoking, and it does damage my health.

Macker, your comment was perfectly acceptable except for the "get a life" bit. There's no need for this. I accept criticism, otherwise I wouldn't have posted here, but I am not interested in such comments.

I find it a paradox that non-smokers are accused of not respecting smokers liberties and of being afraid (it was question of fear, and phobias, ..)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Move to the countryside where you have lovely clean air. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

Jeff,
    When I walking through the city home from work, tying to enjoy a well earned smoke, I constantly get a sick feeling in my stomach from all those one car drivers, sitting in traffic , spouting their disgusting fumes out at me. Forcing me to inhale the toxic gasses ensuing from their laziness.

maybe I should have a word with all those car drivers :rolleyes:

m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Jeff Bond wrote:
    Well if I inhale his smoke an a regular basis, it is passive smoking, and it does damage my health.

Macker, your comment was perfectly acceptable except for the "get a life" bit. There's no need for this. I accept criticism, otherwise I wouldn't have posted here, but I am not interested in such comments.

I find it a paradox that non-smokers are accused of not respecting smokers liberties and of being afraid (it was question of fear, and phobias, ..)

From reading your posts, i've arrived at the conclusion that your abhorrance of cigarette smoke is now 99% mental. That is, you have developed something akin to Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder when it comes to cigarettes. You do seem obsessed with it.
    Does chewing gum on the street not bother you?
    Pollution?
    Noise?
    Radon gas in your house?

All of these things (bar the first) could be having an adverse reaction on your health yet they don't bother you. Certianly not to the extreme that you claim cigarette smoke does.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

Oh pick on me why don't ye ,I was just quoteing Corben Dallas without the f**king :rolleyes:

And as for him smoking outside ,maybe that's because it's nice weather ,the same reason you have your windows open :)

there is no point in comparing other "anti-social" behaviour with this guy. He simply thinks he is right and won't admit his problem. Smoking is not the problem but his perception and feeling of it. A standard reformed addict response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Sifo

i stopped smoking bout a year ago and i'd love to take it back up again but it's bad for your health as you mighta guessed. It's understandable you dont like the smell of smoke, but you must be kidding!!!!
    here's a couple of solutions for your problem with this guy smoking in his back garden;
    A: Kill him
    B: kill yourself (my fave)
    C: build a large wall between your garden and his and then build a roof over your garden
    D: stop breathing (this is easy enough if you have the will-power, which we all know you do).
    E: live under water!!!

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote:
    From reading your posts, i've arrived at the conclusion that your abhorrance of cigarette smoke is now 99% mental. That is, you have developed something akin to Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder when it comes to cigarettes. You do seem obsessed with it.
    Does chewing gum on the street not bother you?
    Pollution?
    Noise?
    Radon gas in your house?

All of these things (bar the first) could be having an adverse reaction on your health yet they don't bother you. Certianly not to the extreme that you claim cigarette smoke does.

99% mental? Thanks doctor.

The smoke wakes me up at night, every night. How is that mental. And who wouldn't be upset.
    Pleeeeease would smokers stop their analogies with car fumes, barbecues, radon gas etc, there is no comparison. (you forgot people picking their nose, commercials on the tv.......)

As a matter of fact I can take other people smoking in my presence (but i don't like it), I was in Amsterdam recently for god sake! :)

The problem here is that I have to inhale the smoke in my own house on a regular basis. For crying out loud, if it continues like this I will have the same cravings the guy has (19h, 23h, 2h).

I told the story to numerous people and they all had a reaction of disgust just thinking about it. Some were smokers , others were non-smokers.

One of the lads here in the thread said that I wouldn't change my mind. He is right, I will not change my mind simply because it isn't a matter of opinion, it is a matter of tollerance (physical that is, not mental)

I could tollerate it if it was a once off.
    smokers themselves have a level of tollerance : My neighbour doesn't smoke in his own house)

Let me remind you what Rudadub said :
    Originally Posted by rubadub
    Maybe you are a smoker and hence have a poor sense of smell and taste. I can smell smoke in my work window on the second floor about 50ft away from where people smoke. Women have a better sense of smell, my sister can smell smoke in the house several days after somebody has smoked in the garden.

He's right.

Stop the cyber stoning for a while and be honest: I'd be interested to know:

-Are you a smoker
    -What is your level of tollerance (what would you condider to be not acceptable)
    -how old are you (the level of tollerance varies if you're in your 20s or 30s)

HO, and for those of you who want me to die ...I've got bad news for you ....
    You'll die before me, and you know why! Mouhaa ha haa :)

Advertisement