Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭ooter

DC. wrote: »
    Just got word this morning I need to get accommodation. My club was originally going to do it but turns out they're not.

Any suggestions?

I stayed here last year and found it very good, only thing is you have to pay on the double if you want a private room so not ideal but it was still cheaper than anywhere else I could find.
    Very close to Swiss cottage tube station.
    http://palmerslodges.com/swisscottage/hostel/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Only disadvantage is youll most likely have to get a 15 min taxi home from the finish area.

Have staggered back and forth on a drunken roam around London post marathon between Charring Cross and London Bridge no problem previously when for some reason was too tight to bother with getting the tube. Anyway, 2 stops on the Jubilee line from Westmister underground will get you back to London Bridge.

Note: Despite London Bridge station being close to Tower Bridge (the fancy one that you see on postcard shots of London), they are not the same thing. Do not get the two things mixed up or the locals will laugh at you. :D
    London Bridge - of "London Bridge is falling down" nursery rhyme fame and since sold to an American who denied that he thought it was the other bridge when he bought it and now reconstructed on a lake in NevadaArizona somewhere. The actual bridge is just, well a boring bridge.
    Tower Bridge - the one with the towers that lift up and that the helicopter allegedly flew through in the 2012 opening ceremony. Also one of my favourite spots on the marathon course as you come from running through a relatively quiet area, turn a corner and are hit by a view of the towers and a wall of sound from people cheering.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

50 days to go lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Just in case anyone has booked with City Jet, and not checked their emails - they have cancelled the 15.05hrs flight ex Dub to LCY - they automatically put me on the later 16.50hrs flight, but when I rang them they changed me to the earlier 13.20hrs flight. This later flight time change might not suit everyone, so just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

RubyK wrote: »
    Just in case anyone has booked with City Jet, and not checked their emails - they have cancelled the 15.05hrs flight ex Dub to LCY - they automatically put me on the later 16.50hrs flight, but when I rang them they changed me to the earlier 13.20hrs flight. This later flight time change might not suit everyone, so just a heads up.

The same 13.20 flight that has changed from 12.45 and up to yesterday was sold out!! Hopefully there won't be any further changes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Expo opening hours for this year which may be relevant to those of you effected by the flight change above:

Wednesday 19 April 11:00-20:00
    Thursday 20 April 10:00-20:00
    Friday 21 April 10:00-20:00
    Saturday 22 April 09:00-17:00

Gavlor wrote: »
    The same 13.20 flight that has changed from 12.45 and up to yesterday was sold out!! Hopefully there won't be any further changes

Hopefully Gavlor!! They seem to do a lot of chopping and changing.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

robinph wrote: »
    The Expo opening hours for this year which may be relevant to those of you effected by the flight change above:

Wednesday 19 April 11:00-20:00
    Thursday 20 April 10:00-20:00
    Friday 21 April 10:00-20:00
    Saturday 22 April 09:00-17:00

I'm probably going to go straight from work on the Wednesday or the Thursday. No point in cramming in on the Saturday when everyone who has travelled to race is there.

Will go along on the Friday afternoon myself after dropping the rest of the family off at the hotel. Means I'll get caught in rush hour in the tube on the way back, but still a better option that trying to negotiate through the Expo at any time with a toddler and certainly not on the Saturday.

Then back to the hotel to rest up ready for the all important parkrun the next day.

Then back to the hotel to rest up ready for the all important parkrun the next day.

For anyone from here who's around we should all pick the same one and do it - I'd bring C and jog around with him in the buggy :)

• Advertisement

I'm off to the Olympic stadium on the Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Back running!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Flying in sat morn so no parkrun unfortunately.

The expo sounds like an endurance event.

For anyone from here who's around we should all pick the same one and do it - I'd bring C and jog around with him in the buggy :)

I'd be up for that, assuming I can get there with the buggy from a central location. I might even dig out my Boardsie club vest for the occasion.

Someone on Bookface had suggested Southwark as being doable from the Jubilee line? Westminster and Waterloo being about the only central accessible stations on the tube with the buggy.

Ferris B wrote: »
    Flying in sat morn so no parkrun unfortunately.

The expo sounds like an endurance event.
    Yes, and will be hard work on the Saturday especially after a flight as well.

It is a great event in itself and well worth spending time looking round. But if you have any thoughts of going for a time on Sunday then you will need to get in and out as quickly as possible and rest the legs.

Hopefully Gavlor!! They seem to do a lot of chopping and changing.

They seem to be nuking lunchtime flights all round - we are flying to Dublin with them on the UK late May bank holiday Monday and just had an email through to say that they'd cancelled our 12:45 flight and were bumping us on to the 15:30 one.

They seem to be nuking lunchtime flights all round - we are flying to Dublin with them on the UK late May bank holiday Monday and just had an email through to say that they'd cancelled our 12:45 flight and were bumping us on to the 15:30 one.

I just got the same email for the return flight on 24th April!! Yet I spoke to Cityjet on the phone 5 mins ago, who said they would put me on the 12.45pm flight :confused:

I just got the same email for the return flight on 24th April!! Yet I spoke to Cityjet on the phone 5 mins ago, who said they would put me on the 12.45pm flight :confused:

Is the 15.30 cancelled???

No the 12.45 is cancelled. 15.30 is ok :)

Word of warning, for anyone flying with Cityjet check your emails again and also check your booking online https://www.cityjet.com/manage I've had awful problems all week. They changed my outbound flight again today, on Fri 21st April, from 13.20 hrs to 16.35 hrs, which I managed to change back again this morning (excuse that the flight no. had changed so that's why my flight time changed). They also managed to cancel my return flight yesterday without telling me :( only that I checked with the manage booking link, I wouldn't have known. I'm now flying back with BA. Won't ever book with Cityjet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Came across this article by Barry Smyth from UCD that might be of interest, heard him interviewed on Marathontalk last year as he crunches the results data from the big city marathon to pull out any interesting trends.

Perfect Pacing at the London Marathon

As a UCD CS grad, that's a blast from the past :pac:

Had been searching around for the same model of shoes that I'd used previously for marathons but having some difficulty, turned out that they had changed the naming slightly to confuse matters. Anyway now have the new shoes and will check them out in a short run next week to make sure they are the same before them wrapping them up nicely to keep them as shiny as possible before the big day.

However, I didn't get any Haribo with the shoes!!! Not sure what to do now? Is this an omen of things to come? Do I need to go and buy my own Haribo? Is the world about to end?

The registration forms are appearing through the post today.

You'll need the paper form from this letter in order to collect your number from the Expo so check with your "aunt" who you were temporarily living with to look out for this in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

You'll need the paper form from this letter in order to collect your number from the Expo so check with your "aunt" who you were temporarily living with to look out for this in the post.

Will you post the numbers in the fast good for age and numbers in red and blue please

401 to 1900 - championship
    1901 to 24400 and 59901 to 63200 - blue
    24401 to 31350 -green
    31351 to 34000 - fast good for age
    34001 to 59900 - red

Will you post the numbers in the fast good for age and numbers in red and blue please
    I had an unusually high number myself so was a bit concerned they may have moved me to the green start, thankfully still on the fast GFA start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Mine will be unclaimed. :(
    You must be at a half dozen at this stage?
    2017 would been my 6th London.
    Would have been chasing a 4th sub 2:40 there.
    Hopefully this day next week will be the new start, the day after the op to get me on the road back for a 2018 visit.

Enjoy the 23rd April Robinph

Abhainn wrote: »
    Mine will be unclaimed. :(
    You must be at a half dozen at this stage?
    2017 would been my 6th London.
    Would have been chasing a 4th sub 2:40 there.
    Hopefully this day next week will be the new start, the day after the op to get me on the road back for a 2018 visit.

Enjoy the 23rd April Robinph

:(
    That sucks. Hope you have a successful return.

2017 will be my 6th in a row in fGFA start, plus one previous appearance in '96 as a ballot entry finishing nearly 2 hrs slower than my best.

This years London will also be my 20th marathon with my first having been in '84. Keep this going for another couple of years and I'll manage to have run marathons in 5 decades despite still being only in my 40's. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 3pointer

Got into London for the first time...was away for the last few days to find my flat-mate threw out what they thought was a load of junk mail and thinks my registration form was among the items that he threw out. Other than strangle him...does anybody have any suggestions/advice?

Advertisement