Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If... the Unforgiving Minute

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Sacksian wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday, dna! Have you had a chance to study your competition yet?

I won't make it, unfortunately, but better a couple of weeks out now than a couple of months from Monday and I'll no doubt see you at some of the gradeds over the summer - maybe even an IMC race if you're looking to take down your pb?

Thanks Sacksian. Sorry to hear you won't make it. I hope it's just a minor injury.

I have been studying the field like a Cheltenham punter and worked out all the odds. Nah, just had a quick look last night. Looks like the same field as last year, when I came second. Just need to make sure I do not make the same mistake twice. However you never know who turns up on the day or changes events etc. At the moment, it's plan B but that could change.

I have not made plans for summer racing yet. I'll have a look at the Dublin Graded Booklet when it is available. I did not run IMC last year but as you say they can be good for a fast race - maybe the one in Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Nothing major for me, small hamstring strain from 800 pace stuff. I can still amble, so it's not too bad. Pconn, hope your knee is on the mend too...

I know it's not about a time on Sunday but you're probably in the shape to run one if you need to. You've trained well and you have the wheels to cope with any dust-up in the last 50m, so all you can do now is be ready when the gun goes off. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Best of luck on Sunday.

Well I got the win.
    Sat in second or third most of the race in tactical race.
    Kicked down the final straight and finished strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done on the win.

• Advertisement

I did not have a great week in the lead-up to the National Indoor Masters.
    I have been struggling with a head cold for the last two weeks. Usually I can shift it in a day or two but this one lingered. Nothing serious just bunged up sinuses and a cough. It did not help that there were a few stressful things going on as well but I was managing fine until I twisted my ankle on Tuesday.

I was heading down to the track and stepped off the kerb onto a stone the size of my fist and rolled off my left foot. I jumped in the air with pain, then stopped and looked around to see if anyone noticed, as if that mattered. I continued on to the track, probably not very wisely.

I finished my warm-up and did my planned session of 4x200m at 800m pace off 200m jog recovery. Times were inconsistent 27.9, 31.7, 30.4, 31.2. I cut my cool-down short. I knew I was in trouble as my ankle swelled up that evening. After that wisdom arrived as I rested for 3 days and I could feel improvement each day. I did not want to mention it on here because you never know who is reading.

On Saturday I went for 3 easy miles and did 4 strides. I could still feel some weakness but no pain. However I was still nervous about the tight bends putting pressure on the outside of my left foot in light spikes

On Sunday I arrived in plenty of time at the Athlone Indoor Arena. I did a good long warm-up, first outside, then inside with plenty of drills and dynamic exercises. Finally I put on the spikes and did a few strides, the last one around the bend on the warm-up track. I could feel a twinge so while waiting for my race to start I did very little, just enough to stay loose.

Seven of us lined up for the start. I got lane 2 with last year's winner KC in lane 3. I started well as the photo below shows but let KC take the lead into the bend. He kept it at an easy pace for 300m and then another guy from SLOT came past both of us and picked up the pace significantly at the half way mark. I have no idea of splits even though there were clocks every 100m.

I moved from third into second at some point in this 3rd lap and closed the gap on the leader. I waited behind him until the final bend to make my move and accelerated from lane 2. I expected someone to come back at me over the last few meters but I had done enough. For a fleeting moment as I neared the finish line I had an awful thought "Is there another lap to go?" Luckily there was not. The clock stopped at an unremarkable 2:08 and change but it was the win that mattered today.

My ankle feels a bit tender now but nothing that a bit of rest and a few easy days won't solve.

974271.jpg

You made the front page of the AI site too!

How many national titles is that since you started this log?!

You made the front page of the AI site too!

How many national titles is that since you started this log?!

Following in famous footsteps there.

Someone else asked that too, I had to check my log, that was the 6th masters win since I started this log, also had 2 before that in my sprinting days.

I'm going to be taking a break from updating this log for a while.
    I have got some family priorities right now that need more of my time.
    I hope to keep the miles up even if the quality slips.
    I'll still keep in touch through the main forum and other logs.

Best of luck - see you on the MD thread! Or possibly even the track...!

Any idea what the summer will look like yet: 400/800, pure 800 or 800/1500?

• Advertisement

Any idea what the summer will look like yet?

I hope the summer will be sunny and bright but I expect there will be a few showers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

I am officially calling on you to resurrect this thread for one post of your training cycle and dcm 2016 race!! BRILLIANT stuff!

conavitzky wrote: »
    I am officially calling on you to resurrect this thread for one post of your training cycle and dcm 2016 race!! BRILLIANT stuff!

I was kind of planning that anyway but now that you have said it... only if you do a race report too. If I remember correctly you never even did one from your "novice of the year" performance last year and your "last one ever" comment needs explaining this year.

Later :)

Why do a marathon? Because it's there. To tick the box. To answer all those people who asked "have you done a marathon". To prove to myself that I could. In the end a bit of each and the time was also right.

I started Marathon training properly back in June with a 14 mile long run to hit 52 miles for the week. From there I built the mileage in July with my first 20 miler at the beginning of August. It was around then I started to tell some people of my plans but it was the end of August before I "came out" properly, although my family had more than a few suspicions already.

During the 18 weeks, I did 10 long runs over 19 miles, including 2x 20mi & 2x 22.5 mi. My 3 peak weeks were Wk09=70mi; Wk12=72mi; Wk14=75mi. Early on I did a 5K (17:30) and a 10K trail race (38:55) on successive days. I also did an 8-mile hilly road race in 49:22. Later I did two build-up races of 13.1 miles in 1:26 and 10mi in 1:05 but for both of them I kept it at Marathon Pace (MP) until half-way. My plan was always to try to run around 3 hours so I included MP runs in my training from early on.

For a while I toyed with 3:03 (7 min miles) as my target but I was not even fooling myself. My competitive streak meant I was always going to try to break 3 hours.

I also got myself a GPS watch for the first time to track my running. I bought a Polar M400 with heart monitor strap for a good price on Amazon. I uploaded runs to Polar Flow and Strava which was useful to keep me honest and a bit competitive in clocking the mileage. I have been particularly impressed with the Polar Flow software which gives me everything that Strava Premium does and more. The Recovery Status view seemed to accurately reflect my training load. This is what it showed coming into last week:
    25rmaz5.jpg

A month before I started marathon training, I injured my knee in a fall and I felt a few twinges in that at times but also in the other knee. I was delighted not to pick up any other injuries. The only time off I took was for a family bereavement in early September. I decided to run as many days as I could, but (almost) no doubles. I ran 7 days for 10 of the 18 weeks, including a 31 day streak ending during taper. I did just over 1000 miles in the 18 weeks leading up to Sunday. The toughest ones mentally were the 6:30am starts for 5-6 slow miles, especially before dawn during the last few weeks.

Almost all my runs were done solo, except the long run where I met up with a group from the club who set out on the dual carriageway at 8am every Saturday morning. If I never run along that road again it will be too soon. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every run, especially when I had company but by last weekend I had enough.

My plan started off loosely following P&D 70 but I deviated in the last 8 weeks and picked up sessions from various sources including around here, Magness, McMillan and a few others. Some of my favourite sessions were ones involving marathon pace and threshold pace e.g. 3MP, 1T, 3MP, 1T, 3MP - it was on these that MP started to feel comfortable.

Taper went reasonably well as I dropped down the mileage and tried to maintain some intensity. I arrived at the start line in the best shape I have ever been, at least aerobically.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Delighted to see you hit your goal. Sub 2:50 next. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

dna_leri wrote: »
    I was kind of planning that anyway but now that you have said it... only if you do a race report too. If I remember correctly you never even did one from your "novice of the year" performance last year and your "last one ever" comment needs explaining this year.

Later :)
    Might do one alright.....

Race plan was to run off the 3 hour pacers and hopefully negative split. I broke it up into 10-10-10. Keep it under control behind the 3h pacers for the opening 10 miles, work hard in the next 10 and then see what's left for the final 10K. I had a plan B target of 3:0x but I put that out of my head on the start line. My 3rd target was to enjoy my first marathon.

It took me a bit longer than I expected to get to the bag drop so I was surprised to find so much space in wave 1 pen when I got there. Plenty of time and space to do my lunge matrix and stretch. I got to meet most of the Sligo lads and some of the pacers there before the off. I had a home-made pace band from findmymarathon.com to which I had added all the water and feed stations and highlighted where I was planning to take them on board. I did not want to have to think about it during the race. I took a High5 ISOgel before the start and positioned myself just ahead of the 3hr pacers and felt quite calm.

Miles 1-10:
    Strava says my slowest mile of the race was the first one in 7:04. It was around there that the pacers pulled ahead of me, fine. I also got a shout out from my wife and younger son along Stephen's Green.

I knew running in a big crowd would be a challenge for me and even off the back of the 3hr pack it was congested. A few times in the race I used my track-sharpened elbows and outstretched arms to keep a safe distance.

I almost missed the first water stop, as it was earlier than I expected but I slowed and made sure to pick up a bottle. We all slowed as we entered Phoenix Park and the first of a few pinch points in the race that would need to be addressed if they increase the numbers again. Around the 4 mile mark I spotted my older son in the crowd - I had not expected him to be there. A bonus.

For the first time in the race I started to relax. Breathing was good. The air felt fresher in the Phoenix Park. Slight niggle in right ankle. Both calves felt a bit tight but they often are. The "climb" up Chesterfield Avenue felt easier than it did a few weeks ago in my one training run around part of the course. I think the sun was out. All good. I dropped a 6:38 mile here as I closed the gap on the group and we all spread out across the road. The official 10K split gives me a time of 42:53 at a pace of 6:54. Still off the back of the pacer group.

The first time I noticed the crowd was at the left hand turn in Castleknock. The roar to greet the pacer group made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I relaxed down the hills and took my next ISOgel as we re-entered the Park around 8 miles.

At times I looked at my watch and we always seemed to be going faster then the target pace of 6:50 per mile but I trusted the pacers more than my GPS. I hit 10 miles at 1:09, perfect.

Miles 11-20:
    There was another pinch point around mile 11 and the road surface seemed more uneven. Calves still tight but ok. I appreciated the crowd support again at Kilmainham. They made the hills here easier and the road surface improved. I had decided not to wear my heart rate monitor but I expect my bpm increased during the next section as we approached midway. I spotted a track rival with his camera around here, don't think he recognised me. The half way split was 1:30:05 - average pace 6:51. I was working but in control. Am I making it sound easy? It was not easy.
    I think it was along the Walkinstown Road that the sun was in our faces and I could feel the heat. According to Strava, miles 15 & 16 were 6:35 & 6:36 but I was still behind the pacers. If I was pacing myself I would have thought I was going too fast. Mile 19 to 20 was my fastest of the day in 6:33 in the downhill stretch towards Milltown. Official 30K time was 2:07:29 at 6:46 pace.

Some where along here I caught up with the pacers, including the first O55 woman who is from the same club. She went on to win her age category and was actually the only woman over 40 to get under 3 hours ! Another club mate ran 3:23 for 1st over 65 male, exceptional running.

Miles 21-26.2:
    Now I was getting the real benefit of the pacers. Frank was the lead pacer, calling the shots. "Ease back here, lads." "Nice and steady." "Work a little now".

My brother and his family were on "Heartbreak Hill" - I managed a wave. It would have been easy to fall off the pace here, many did. I dropped back to 6:57 pace as the group fractured and some pulled away a little.
    nl1sht.jpg

At the turn onto the Stillorgan Road, my right calf tightened sharply. I had been grazed by the sniper. "Not here, not now". I took the next turns at the flyover very wide. Avoid sharp bends.

I picked up an ISOgel from the feed station at 16 miles as planned and around 21 miles I took the last one I had been carrying - an SiSgel with caffeine. It was thicker than I had remembered. I could have done with water to wash it down but there was none for another 3 miles.

I hardly spoke to any of my fellow runners during the whole race until this section. I had decided to do everything I could to conserve energy but now I needed energy from outside. I caught up with a guy in a yellow t-shirt and he offered encouragement. I realised later that he was an official pacer who had lost his balloon early on. He was sweeping up stragglers who were dropping off the 3hr pace. By now both my calves were cramping intermittently. He offered me a salt tablet but I refused. My stomach had not complained all through the race so I was not going to risk anything now. It was mind over matter to get to the finish.

Slowly I gained on the other pacers and caught up with a woman who had been running near me for much of the race. She was clearly struggling with pain. I offered words of encouragement but she was past that.

My slowest mile was the first one, my second slowest was mile 26 in 6:58. The final run-in seemed never-ending. Finally I saw a sign for 800m to go, that was my trigger. I know how to run 800m. I picked up the pace, I adjusted my form and ran tall down the center of the road. I faltered again until I reached the 400m to go mark, "just one lap of the track" to hold it together. My family were there screaming for me but I heard nothing. The Strava segment for the final 400m says I finished at 6:19 pace. I looked up and watched the clock turn 2:59. Those last few seconds went on forever but I had done enough to get a chip time of 2:58:58. In the heat of the battle, I failed to even stop my watch properly. I ran straight through the line and past those who had just finished. I was afraid my legs would seize up if I stopped.

I met a few familiar faces here but paused just briefly. I collected my medal and t-shirt (probably the wrong size) and walked around the corner. Finally I sat down on the kerb, beside another finisher. We exchanged stories and I took a minute to take in what I had just done. A good day's work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Will you do another one? Tougher than a flat out 800?

What worked for me?
    Running as many days as possible.
    Very easy recovery runs that progressed from 4 miles to 10K.
    Marathon Pace early, late and often through the training cycle.
    Multi-pace sessions including MP (e.g. MP +LT)
    Not running my pre-marathon races flat-out - started at MP and progressed.
    Listened to advice from others and made my own mind up.
    Leave nothing to chance on the day.
    Good pacers and negative splits.
    Good weather and good luck.

What would I do differently?
    I neglected getting sports massages and it could have cost me my race. I certainly should have had a massage on my legs during taper and my calves might not have felt so tight on the day. That tightness turned into cramp which almost brought me to a stop. This was one detail that I missed but got away with.

Next steps:
    Recover. Plan is to do a few easy jogs over the next few weeks according to a McMillan recovery plan.
    https://run.mcmillanrunning.com/payback-time-a-two-week-scientific-plan-to-optimize-recovery-after-your-marathon/

At the moment I have no intention to do another marathon in the near future but "never say never". I would like to attack a few of my distance PBs while I have good endurance built up but there are not many opportunities at this time of the year. Probably I will return to track at some time next year, particularly as I hit 50 in the summer. It will be interesting to see how much speed I have lost and how much endurance I have gained through this training cycle.

@tang1 - for me a flat out 800m would be equal to a flat out marathon in terms of toughness. Of course neither race is run "flat out" but I guess that you mean at maximum effort. In each case you try to keep below the redline for the first half of the race, although it is a different red-line. Then in the second half you increase the effort and in the end every muscle in your body is aching and your brain says "stop" but you push on through the pain.

With a few days now past since the race, I can put some perspective on my run. I am still very proud of my performance but I am not under any illusion that it is exceptional - there were many guys of my age and older who ran faster. But I think it is that sense of not being fully satisfied that keeps me motivated for the next objective.

I have a few ideas and potential targets for 2017-2018, none of them involving a marathon.
    Possibly I'll come back here at that time and try to fill the Unforgiving Minute once again.

Advertisement