Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

He's obviously a jackass. You can't control that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Meh. Maybe so. But there's a nice way to say it and a jackass way to say it. Sounds like he picked the jackass way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    He's obviously a jackass. You can't control that.

+1
    A race, swim in a lake, massive amount of paying competitors with 2 mins between each wave and no desire to accomodate repeat and local competitors despite obvious talent ;) .... it does sound like he is what it says on the tin ...

red blood cells ? hmmm .. anyone every mention the importance red meat regularly whilst training ? ;) mind yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »

...if there was a seasoned but competitive prize, its only fair that all seasoned but competitive's start in the same wave. It's a pain in the ass if your best disciple is swimming, but you're going to have to suck this up if you agree with AG prizes. The alternative is to rank everyone in a wave by swim ability, and do away with AG prizes (it'd be unfair that an AG'er beat a fellow AG'er who had to deal with different levels of congestion). Much as it pains me to say, Tri isn't just about the swim.

Ahhhh....the "same wave for the same prize" argument. Yesyesyes...I am familiar with that one alright. In fact, let me share you my dialog on that very subject. ;)

Race director: For every athlete like you in your age group, there are 25 who want to start later so they don't get run over by the young men.

If we do waves by swim times, people will lie (I know this from Reston) or they just don't know. Plus, it's not fair to someone in your category who starts in weave 8 when you start in wave 1. What if you only beat them by 15 sec? That could be the wave difference.

Dory: Open water swimming events use a rule that you have to prove your swim time from a qualifying event, otherwise you start at the back of the pack. Solves that problem....of course I see other issues with that too. ;)

And I totally agree that for prize purposes in an ideal world everyone vying for the same prize would start in the same wave, but even the way things were done this weekend, that's not the case as the 40-44 year old females were in an earlier wave than me, but we all were still in contention for the same masters award.

Race Director: You're right. Maybe I should do away with Masters award? Or maybe offer a young person's award? Or pull you out from age group and masters for Luray local? Or... Or... Or...

Most triathletes won't be able to prove swim times plus can you imagine the admin headache to verify? That's a day of work!

Dory: Then maybe just make it easy on yourself.....rotate the waves so everyone gets a shot at wave 2 behind the elite/open every few years. ;)

Wednesday, August 20th, 2014

I decided on a noon-hour yoga/foam rolling session with my two favorite feline yogis present and accounted for! :)

Run plan: 16 miles easy

Because I was instructed to pull the plug on this session if I started to struggle even a little bit, I approached this very conservatively by starting at an easy-plus-an-extra-smidge-of-easy pace. The body felt pretty good, and it was feeling better and better as each mile ticked by....so I allowed myself to up the pace some after the halfway point, and then a bit more after I had 75% of the run done. There was a slight hint my two stitches (the right side, and the left rib cage) were going to make an appearance on miles 15 and 16 (I'm guessing because I was breathing a bit harder due to increased speed/effort), but I immediately relaxed it down and I was able to keep them at bay. Overall, I'm very happy with this run. Oh, and I pretended I was training at altitude (you know, red blood cells/oxygen), which was kind of fun :rolleyes:....so thank god I didn't follow that suggestion to eat red meat while training! ;)

The run looked something like this...

9:34, 9:32, 9:35, 9:23, 9:25, 9:25, 9:23, 9:18
    Gel, gatorade, water
    9:03, 9:11, 9:06, 9:06
    Gel, gatorade, water
    8:36, 8:39, 8:28, 8:18

Actual run: 16 miles in 2:26:10 for an average pace of 9:08 min/mile

I just don't see why the concept of rotating waves each year so all ages and genders can periodically have some fun at the front with clearer water and less congestion isn't even up for discussion. That's all. Doesn't seem that hard to me. To both stereotype the participants with assumptions and generalizations, plus to not even give the impression that new ideas will be considered has left a bad taste in my mouth. Besides, how does he know we gals wouldn't enjoy being run over by the young men! If they can catch us, that is. ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I just don't see why the concept of rotating waves each year so all ages and genders can periodically have some fun at the front with clearer water and less congestion isn't even up for discussion. That's all.

Being taken to task by a one in a million auld one who is a complete anomaly for her age is far more preferable than a hoard of angry young bulls complaining about being held up by your normal auld one.

Although he could have been nicer about it, a bit of praise and ego massaging would have sorted you out straight away. I cant stand wave starts myself and try and avoid races like that if possible but its easy here with loads of races within an hours drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's not like you're flying through the swim and then getting on a tricycle and walking the last bit. 12th woman overall, they could just put you with the first wave of women?

catweazle wrote: »
    Being taken to task by a one in a million auld one who is a complete anomaly for her age is far more preferable than a hoard of angry young bulls complaining about being held up by your normal auld one.

Although he could have been nicer about it, a bit of praise and ego massaging would have sorted you out straight away. I cant stand wave starts myself and try and avoid races like that if possible but its easy here with loads of races within an hours drive

And that praise and ego massaging might even go a little further if it didn't contain the reference "auld one." ;)
    RayCun wrote: »
    It's not like you're flying through the swim and then getting on a tricycle and walking the last bit. 12th woman overall, they could just put you with the first wave of women?

Actually, he did suggest I toss my keister in with the elites as I could participate under the open category...but also made clear I'd no longer be in contention for AG, auld one ;), or local awards.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Actually, he did suggest I toss my keister in with the elites as I could participate under the open category...but also made clear I'd no longer be in contention for AG, auld one ;), or local awards.
    Put up or shut up, then. :P

Oryx wrote: »
    Put up or shut up, then. :P

But, but, but....it's about the ones I'll leave behind. Who will fight for them? For their wave rights? Plus, I like shiny things. ;)

Okayokayokay. Dammit. I'll give it serious consideration for next year, assuming catweazle hasn't already got me in the old folks home playing shuffle board. ;):)

May I take this opportunity to change the subject and remind you that its 29 days, yes 29 DAYS to your race. Just in case you'd let it slip your mind. Right about now the jingly jangly nerves should be just starting to kick in..... :)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    That's perfectly reasonable. Was there an award for biggest hissy fit?;)

Hey now....I've got low red blood cells and my oxygen is compromised....I cannot be held responsible for my actions. :D

May I take this opportunity to change the subject and remind you that its 29 days, yes 29 DAYS to your race. Just in case you'd let it slip your mind. Right about now the jingly jangly nerves should be just starting to kick in..... :)

All I am going to say on this matter is.....barf.

;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Race Director: ....Most triathletes won't be able to prove swim times plus can you imagine the admin headache to verify? That's a day of work!

So limit the ability to switch waves to those with a time from a previous year in this event. Easy to check, limited work, less risk of anyone getting run over, and provides an incentive for people to come back. Ta da ...!

But sounds like the RD is a bit burned out - which I can understand. Suggestions six months before the event rather than immediately after (when he/she has dealt with the usual gripes) might get somewhere.

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    But sounds like the RD is a bit burned out - which I can understand. Suggestions six months before the event rather than immediately after (when he/she has dealt with the usual gripes) might get somewhere.

You know.....I think you are dead right here - he probably is burned out....and he's probably already heard an earful of complaints (I didn't even go into the enormous timing chip we had to wear on our left leg with him, but I'm positive he heard it from plenty of others!). However, I doubt I'll revisit this issue with him. It's done, and it's clear to me that I have three choices the way it stands: 1) start in the back and continue to swim over, around and through other athletes but still be eligible for category awards, 2) start in wave 1 with all its benefits to racing and time on the clock, but also possibly suffering humiliation on the run (they're a pretty speedy lot!) and forfeiting category awards, or 3) not participate. All things in perspective - it's my backyard local triathlon that brings such good things to our community and is such a source of pride to so many...and honestly, it's been very good to me as it is....so, I doubt option 3 above is even an option, which leaves 1 and 2. It's a year away, so in the words of Scarlett O'Hara, I'll think about that tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

RayCun wrote: »

12th female overall, in the middle of long distance training with no speed work done and only getting over some illness ? it'd be a nice response to the RD at next years event to gate crash the overall podium from the later waves to perfectly illustrate a point.

interested wrote: »
    12th female overall, in the middle of long distance training with no speed work done and only getting over some illness ? it'd be a nice response to the RD at next years event to gate crash the overall podium from the later waves to perfectly illustrate a point.

As long as I perfectly illustrate that point. ;)

So they rack your bike for you???

Great motivational clip!! Between that and this below, I'm all set!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'll get some abuse for posting this, but try this.

https://soundcloud.com/mateusz-m-6/why-do-we-fall

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

this is the one i meant to post

https://soundcloud.com/mateusz-m-6/desire

started to listening to these to get me going pre race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

That music reminds me of something out of Crocodile Dundee

This one always puts me in the mood to go out and smash it, starts off really easy and builds really well towards the end. Kinda how I'd like my races to go.

These are all fantastic!! Thanks....and please feel free to keep them coming over the next 4 weeks!! :)

Friday, August 22nd, 2014

Run plan: 9 miles steady

It's always a crapshoot when I start a quality session - I just never honestly know what to expect. I've learned this training cycle that I perform far better when I start a bit conservatively...I've learned that if I can hold myself back a bit at the start that I am much more comfortable during the run, and that I can usually finish stronger than when I began.

I decided to gamble at lunch and I pushed this run back to this evening because it was pouring down rain at noon....and happy days, luck was on my side - no rain (some heat and humidity though), but it was a pretty gorgeous evening all things considered. This run was good. In a nutshell, I was happy with the effort and the paces even though I had to ease it back a little on mile 4 when my two stitches tried to make an appearance. They flared back up on miles 8 and 9 (along with a new stich in my neck/shoulder :confused:), but they were manageable, and I just kept trying to stay relaxed, which seems to work to some degree. Overall, however, this really was a solid run...and a bit of a boost for me. The next two days will be all about The Black Cat, with a little swimming mixed in. :)

8:00, 7:54, 7:54
    8:06, 7:47, 7:49
    7:49, 7:37, 7:35

Actual run: 9 miles in 1:10:37 for an average pace of 7:51 min/mile

Saturday, August 23rd, 2014

Bike

The plan was to find the flatest ground around and put down 80 miles today....so, FIELD TRIP!! :) I traveled about 90 minutes away in my quest for level terrain, but wouldn't you know, I still did over 5,000 feet of climbing!! :confused: Hills just seem to be my lot in cycling life. Ah well, as long as they make me stronger I am totally fine with it....and I did get in some really good time on the aero bars. In fact, I'd estimate other than on miles 60 through 70 when I was on a highway with cars whizzing by and coming way too close to me, I probably spent 85% of the time on the bars. My body held up pretty well - had the expected stiffness in my lower back, shoulders, and neck...and my derriere did okay until the last 10-15 miles. However, I had soreness in the back of my knees....and I remembered reading on here somewhere that knee soreness can indicate a saddle height issue, and I remembered that the location of the knee soreness can indicate if the saddle needs to be elevated or lowered....so, since I was going to pass my bike shop (that I LOVE dearly!!) on my way home, I stopped in. After the usual happy greetings by the boys (have I mentioned I LOVE them?!), and after a little question and answer session with Tim (who did my bike fit), he lowered my seat a smidge.....and fixed a little shifting issue I was having....and told me to follow up with him about my knees/seat after next weekend's long ride. These. Guys. Are. The. Best. !!!

Any way....good day, good ride. Some very valuable time was spent on the Black Cat today - my confidence is way up on her. I'd like a little more speed in my legs, but I suppose for the short time I've been cycling I'm doing okay. I will say, however, when I got off the bike after 80 miles I wondered how in the hell I'm going to run a full marathon!!! :eek:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/572150348

Actual ride: 80.95 miles in 4:36:01 for an average speed of 17.6 mph and an elevation gain of 5,212 feet

Swim

Just an easy evening recovery swim to shake out the legs and body from the day's adventure. :)

Actual swim: 2,000 lovely jubbly yards

Sunday, August 24th, 2014

Bike

This ride was never going to be about speed, but rather it turned out to be about...

....hills...and wind...and not aggravating the backs of my knees...and getting a box turtle out of the road...and cycling between two stopped trucks while spinning uphill (I was NOT about to stop going uphill!) without hitting either rear view mirror (success!!)...and realizing I know the guy who lives at the top of Rocky Branch where I always turn around (who knew??)...and feeling at times like I was cycling in sand...and chanting circle, circle, circle...and sometimes chanting f*ck, f*ck, f*ck...and doing a lot of math in my head...and thinking about a lot of *stuff* when I wasn't doing a lot of math in my head...and wondering how pgibbo and pmaldini were doing since I was missing their amazing IM finishes. :)

Not a bad ride. I can't believe I have less then 4 weeks to go. Wow. (:eek:)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/572929745

Actual ride: 40.39 miles in 2:31:02 for an average speed of 16 mph and an elevation gain of 2,808 feet

Swim

An evening swim in the wetsuit. I tried to squeeze it up the body without pulling on the exterior, but I only did a so-so job. I've found a few more surface gouges in the exterior :mad: so I'm going to have to get some Black Witch (or similar product if Black Witch is not sold in the states), and also try and be more careful. !!!

Actual swim: 2,000 very high-in-the-water yards

Monday, August 25th, 2014 (4 months until Christmas! :D)

Run plan: 4 miles easy, am....7 miles easy, pm

The first run was done sneaky lunchtime style under a gorgeous sky with the sun shining down upon me. It was a very good day to be living in the land of Dory - and the next few months should be equally as stunning as we are entering the best time of year here in the valley with slightly cooler weather yet full sun, all of which give rise to some amazing colors in the foliage. (I might be getting ahead of myself, but....)

Legs were a little stiff starting out on this first run, and my knees were still a bit sore as well...but I kept things easy breezy and life was grand. 6 laps, and I was done.

The second run was done after work in the super-comfortable evening air. Good god today was amazing! The right knee was (is) still feeling the weekend's bike in it, but I'm hopeful it will be a faded memory in a day or so. 10 laps around the field slow and easy, and run two was done and dusted. All good in the hood.

Actual runs: 4.2 easy field miles, am....7 easy field miles, pm

Swim

How could I resist a little evening recovery swim when the view of the setting sun from my pool was so spectacular? Plus, I decided to indulge myself yesterday....I upped the water temp to a super comfy-cozy 85 degrees. :D Sort of my little reward to myself....just, um, because. ;)

Actual swim: 1,000 warm water heavenly sunset yards

Tuesday, August 26th, 2014

Bike

A high noon spin on the Black Cat in sunshine and a breezy-breeze. I did my usual Rocky Branch to Shenk Hollow up-down-up-down route, and it felt pretty good. I started out slightly slow, but settled on the aerobars and tried to stay there as much as possible while upping the effort and speed a bit. I'm getting pretty good at going uphill on the bars....but I'm still not brave enough to go flyiing down while winding this way and that on them. In due time.

I had a few distractions on my ride that contributed to today's slow speed. One being a black snake that I passed on the way up Rocky Branch, causing me to check on him on the way back down only to realize he was not only merely dead, he was really most sincerely dead. ;) The other being a photo op with two dogs that have a routine that involves playfully chasing me on my way up Rocky Branch (they do not get close to me and are quite friendly - I know them), and then when they see me coming down Rocky Branch they run to the creek and sit on a rock and wait for me to pass by them. Too cute! :)

Any way....my Garmin is on my bike, and I am way too comfortable laying on the couch to retrieve it, so I'll just report my numbers from memory.

Actual bike: 19 miles in 1:08:00-ish for an average slow speed of 16.8-ish mph

Swim

1,000 yards easy
    6 x 400 yards w/pull buoy on 6 min - desc 1-3, 4-6
    400 yards easy

Finally!!! Finallyfinallyfinally!!!!! A proper session in which I didn't feel like a total slug in the water. !!!

Thank. God.
    <exhale>

In fact, I felt good in the water. Don't get me wrong, this was not my fastest 6 x 400 pull session, but this was good....this felt good....this felt pretty dang good.

The 400s were controlled, never too pushed, and I consciously held back a smidge due to having bloods done just 3 hours prior. Splits were - 5:43, 5:40, 5:35...5:40, 5:33, 5:28. Happy camper. :)

Actual swim: 3,800 un-sluglike yards

Oh, and it was another drop-dead gorgeous day here!! Whoop whoop!!!

• Advertisement

I am thanking your training. I am not thanking your comment about the weather, which utterly sucks here.

One being a black snake that I passed on the way up Rocky Branch, causing me to check on him on the way back down only to realize he was not only merely dead, he was really most sincerely dead. ;)

And what if he wasn't?

pointer28 wrote: »
    And what if he wasn't?

It was just a black snake....so I was going to see about getting it out of the road so it wouldn't get hit by a car. :) Too late. :(

Just and Snake are not words that go well together for the average Irish person. They are the one animal the freak the absolute sh1t out of me.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Just and Snake are not words that go well together for the average Irish person. They are the one animal the freak the absolute sh1t out of me.

Ah now...you haven't lived until you've swam in a pool with a pet python. !!! :)

Right, that's the end of that, I'm never learning to swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hey DD,
    How are you? Just curious, are you still working off power on the bike? I haven't seen any mention of numbers or power lately.

Sounds like things are really coming together for you :cool:

P

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hey DD,
    How are you? Just curious, are you still working off power on the bike? I haven't seen any mention of numbers or power lately.

Sounds like things are really coming together for you :cool:

P

Hi P!! :) First...what an incredible IM you had!! I do hope you put together some sort of race report for us to learn from. So well executed, and so smartly done.

Regarding the bike - I am mainly just riding it at this stage. I haven't taken the time to properly learn about power (but I will secure that Power book soon (birthday/Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzza gift, perhaps?? ;))) - but I need to understand it, and will do so after I get through this IM, and then I will figure out how to use it to improve my cycling. My initial exposure to power was not good for me - totally exposed how weak I am on the bike, and that knocked me for a loop. But up off the floor I got, and I continue to plug forward. If you look at my Garmin links you can see my power stated there - quite embarrassing compared to the others around here. :o

I just read this, and Im sharing it with you as part of your motivation package. :)
    In an Ironman race, there will always be a time when things look truly bleak. It happens to everyone, and in that moment, it's difficult to imagine that it will end in anything other than disaster. Just keep eating, keep drinking, and keep moving; things will improve if you let them, and if you stay focused on small steps. Get to the top of the climb or through the next mile. Run to the next aid station. You can go from utterly destroyed to feeling great much faster than one might guess, but only by keeping an open mind to the possibility, a sense of humor when possible, and some perspective.

• Advertisement

I just read this, and Im sharing it with you as part of your motivation package. :)

I may need to write that on my arm..or arms....and maybe a leg...or two....to keep reminding me to look up, and forward, and to smile, and to get to the finish line. :) Thanks. !!!!

Wednesday, August 27th, 2014

Run plan: 18 miles very easy

It's late...so this is going to be brief. :)

This run was supposed to be VERY easy, so that meant it was to be all about time on my feet. I'm learning to embrace the purpose of each session...and I'm following directions better. And for the most part I kept this very easy. The run looked something like this...

9:31, 9:17, 9:26, 9:20, 9:29, 9:25
    Started to melt in the heat (88 degrees) and full sun on miles 5 and 6....took gel, Gatorade, water.

9:10, 9:26, 9:15, 9:21
    Still hot, but the sun was starting to fade...took gel, Gatorade, water.

9:16, 9:21, 9:15, 9:17
    More comfortable with the sun less of a factor...staying relaxed, but legs getting tired....took gel, Gatorade, water.

9:06, 8:58, 8:54, 8:41
    Treated myself to the flat/straight section of the field, and allowed myself to up the groove while staying in the easy in spite of the legs wanting to call it a day. And it was starting to get dark by the time I hit the last mile.

Actual run: 18 miles in 2:46:38 for an average pace of 9:15 min/mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

These are all fantastic!! Thanks....and please feel free to keep them coming over the next 4 weeks!! :)

No video ... but I really like this:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T. S. Eliot

pgmcpq wrote: »
    No video ... but I really like this:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T. S. Eliot

Love it!!! Thank you!! :)

Thursday, August 28th, 2014

Bike

It was the usual bi-weekly lunchtime date with the Cat...and it was another hot and sunny day out. No snakes or photo ops with dogs, but there was a wall of wind and lots of pushing about. :eek: I stayed strong, though, and channeled my best Tony Martin and stayed aero. If Tony can do it, I can do it!!! :cool: ;)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/577383298

Actual bike: 18.92 miles in 1:04:38 for an average speed of 17.6 mph and an elevation gain of 1,263 feet

Swim

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous evening!! A perfect setting for a late day swim in my 85 degree pool. :D

1,000 yards easy
    8 x 200 yards pull buoy on 3 minutes - descending 1-4, 5-8
    800 yards easy

After a really n-i-c-e, s-l-o-w, r-e-l-a-x-i-n-g warmup (that's what warm water will do to me!), I jumped into the 200s. I didn't do the best job descending the first 4, but the second 4 was better. Happy enough! :)

2:45, 2:45, 2:45, 2:40...2:43, 2:41, 2:40, 2:35

Actual swim: 3,400 yards

Friday, August 29th, 2014

I had to take the Black Cat to the bike shop today - I broke the tip of the valve off yesterday while pumping up the tires and I didn't have the proper replacement piece I needed to fix it. Plus, I thought the piece that had broken off was stuck in the pump, so I hauled that to the shop as well, only to find out the metal piece I was trying to pry out of the pump was actually part of the pump! Good god I don't know what I'm doing bike-wise. So any way....I had the valve fixed and replacement pieces secured in case I break more...the Black Cat got a little spa treatment from Collin...I had a refresher course in changing a tire....and Collin put my little tool/tube/co2 kit together for me so I'll be all set for IM Maryland in case anything goes wrong. :)(lovelovelove these grease monkey bike geeks!)

Run plan: Fartlek - 2 miles easy, 3 x (2 min HMP, 3 min easy, 3 min MP, 2 min easy), 2 miles easy

:o Mechanical difficulties altered the trajectory of this session. :(

I took great care to program my Garmin so I could execute this session properly....but apparently when I chose the custom workout to do, I chose the wrong custom workout!! Ugh! Note to self: take a closer look at the session details before I hit "do this workout"! But of course I didn't realize it was the wrong workout until the first 2 minutes @ HMP turned into 3 minutes...and then the 3 minutes easy turned into 1 minute. :confused: Double ugh!! So I stopped and thought I could quickly edit the session...however, once you stop the workout, if you start it again, you start it from the beginning. Triple ugh!!! Therefore, when it was obvious that it would be quite difficult to do this session as it was given to me, I made the executive decision to do my HMP/MP/easy segments based on distance instead of time. And because I knew I'd be shorting each segment a little based on the markers I chose, I just added a little extra to the whole thing. Oh, and I also hadn't a clue what pace I was running (don't ask!), so I just made the HMP fast, and the MP not as fast....sort of. (my poor head is spinning!) This was a mess, plain and simple!

Any way...here's the HMP and MP segment info...
    HMP - 3 min, .46 mile, 6:31 pace
    HMP - 1:09, .18 mile, 6:25 pace
    MP - 2:21, .35 mile, 6:45 pace
    HMP - 1:34, .24 mile, 6:31 pace
    MP - 2:28, .34 mile, 7:15 pace
    HMP - 1:35, .24 mile, 6:38 pace
    MP - 2:27, .35 mile, 7:00 pace
    HMP - 1:34, .23 mile, 6:49 pace
    MP - 2:24, .35 mile, 6:52 pace

Actual run: 8.7 miles in 1:13:16 for an average pace of 8:25 min/mile

• Advertisement

Saturday, August 30th, 2014

Bike

In my constant quest to find flat, safe and dog free roads to cycle on since IM Maryland is supposed to be a flat course, I decided I'd try a section of the Rileyville Loop that is at a steady grade down going one way, and up going the other. Admittedly this piece of pavement is not the perfect fit I was looking for, but it's about as close as I've come so far!

Highlights as follows:
    Loaded myself down with 5 bottles of water and Gatorade for the long adventure - and good god are 5 bottles of liquid heavy! :eek:
    After chugging up and down a few proper hills and over several railroad tracks to get to my desired piece of asphalt real estate, I committed myself to doing 10 out and backs since it wasn't quite 3 miles from point A to point B. :eek: Thank god I don't mind repetition...my 20 yard pool is point in case.
    I decided to reward myself with a break after 5 of the 10 out and backs to eat a chocolate protein bar by the stream I was following, only to realize after thinking to myself that the bar looked a little funny but tasted okay that the packaging indicated the sell by date was January 2014. :eek:
    There was hardly any traffic on this road, but I nearly ran over Bambi! Twice!! :eek:
    On about my 3rd out and back, I met a very chunky boy (around 8 years old I would guess) riding his bike...and with each passing out and back it seemed that the chunky boy gathered additional chunky boys riding their bikes, thus increasing the number of chunky boys I would pass and say hello to....and as the day dragged on and got hotter, the chunky boys one by one took off their shirts. :eek:
    The wind...omg, the wind. :eek:
    The legs....omg, the legs. :eek:
    I was totally struggling after mile 66/67...wondering what in the world was wrong with me as I was in the lowest gear and I was dragging....looking at both tires hoping maybe I had a flat tire to explain why this was so tough....then finally dawning on me around mile 73 that somehow I was in the big ring up front. :eek:

Okay, enough of the :eek: s.....pretty good ride overall, but the legs and body were toast by the time I hopped off the saddle and had to trudge my way up the long gravel driveway to my house. :eek: (:D;))

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/578717539

Actual bike: 76.66 miles in 4:20:21 for an average speed of 17.7 mph and an elevation gain of 3,046 feet

Swim

A fantastically easy evening recovery swim to make the body happy. Thank god for swimming!!! :)

Actual swim: 2,000 fantastic evening yards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Saturday, August 30th, 2014

Bike

Actual bike: 76.66 miles in 4:20:21 for an average speed of 17.7 mph and an elevation gain of 3,046 feet

Actual swim: 2,000 fantastic evening yards

Miles? feet??? Yards???

I know you are from the new country, but you are a triathlete - imperial measurements are the preserve of hairy-legged, running types...

Once I translated all the numbers, seems like a good weekend of training!

Looking in good shape for your maiden voyage...

Sunday, August 31st, 2014

A quickie update as I have a rare social engagement with friends this evening....

Bike

The plan was to get 40 miles in today....but because I wanted to have a little downtime to myself this afternoon, I broke the 40 miles up into 20 miles before work this morning, and 20 miles immediately after work this morning.

The first ride started before the sun had come up. I was on the road by 6:30, but it was a comedy of errors all the way around with this first jaunt - I had difficulty getting my feet clipped into the pedals, I lost my flashing light that I clipped to my rear bottle cage and had to go back and retrieve it, turned off my Garmin when I hopped off my bike to pickup the flashing light (that was still flashing in the dark, thus very easy to find) but forgot to turn my Garmin back on until several miles later, was nearly ambushed by a rogue squirrel, had a close call with 3 large deer, and I totally scared the bejesus out of two young cows that were grazing near the road which in turn scared the bejesus out of me because I didn't notice them since they were black and it was still semi-dark out. Crazy damn ride!

(this data is incomplete....)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/579785653

Did basically the exact same ride as the first one, but without any of those issues above. Legs tired. I was looking forward to being done so I could chill the rest of the day.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/579785707

Actual bike - 2 x 20.89 miles = 41.78 miles for the day!

Swim

An easy recovery swim in the heat of the day! Good grief it was hot out!!! In fact, it was too hot to go barefoot on the brick deck. !!!

Actual swim: 2,000 recovery yards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Izoard wrote: »
    Miles? feet??? Yards???

I know you are from the new country, but you are a triathlete - imperial measurements are the preserve of hairy-legged, running types...

Once I translated all the numbers, seems like a good weekend of training!

Looking in good shape for your maiden voyage...

Aren't IMs measured in miles in the US? :p

Aren't IMs measured in miles in the US? :p

Yes....and bumper stickers with "140.6" are a hot commodity. So....do you guys not refer to an IM as "140.6"???

• Advertisement
Advertisement