Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass

Options
  • 20-12-2011 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Probably need to start a thread on this as its one of the few projects to go ahead next year I believe.

The contract for it is now up on the eTenders Public Procurement website, dated 29 November. Closing date for bids is 9 January 2012.

Link: http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=NOV292195

Further information on tender here at build.ie

EDIT: Whoops! Tender already listed in the "Tender Watch for Roads" sticky. Sorry!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Probably need to start a thread on this as its one of the few projects to go ahead next year I believe.

The contract for it is now up on the eTenders Public Procurement website, dated 29 November. Closing date for bids is 9 January 2012.

Link: http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=NOV292195

Further information on tender here at build.ie

EDIT: Whoops! Tender already listed in the "Tender Watch for Roads" sticky. Sorry!

Well if the scheme goes ahead and construction starts then this thread can be used for construction updates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Any start date announced yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭The Westerner

Don't think the contract has been awarded yet. Closing date for bids was meant to have been 9th January.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Map.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭macker16

HEDGE CLEARING STARTED LAST WEEK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Map of the general route on Roscommon county council site. In general not much in way of detail out there on this road. Other then it's single carriageway etc.

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Planning/County_Development_Plan_2008-2014_and_Variations/County_Development_Plan/County_Development_Plan_Maps/Map_10_Ballaghaderreen_Bypass.pdf

MAP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Anyone know who this was awarded to?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Still at tender stage. Six names in the hat for the construction of it. Won't be awarded till early summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carlosivan01

Does anyone know who are those 6 listed?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So we are looking 1-2 years until its ready?

any update on who got the nod :D

NODS NOT ALLOWED:D

Maybe not.. but will it be starting soon .. I thought I heard 2nd Quarter this Year...:)

they are doing another dig around a fairy fort at the moment:confused: for the 3RD time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

a hellhole of a town and an even worse corner http://g.co/maps/bwr4m , the only place a surely a national road has to stop for a local road.

well actually i know of another such occurence in mayo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

irishgeo wrote: »
    a hellhole of a town and an even worse corner http://g.co/maps/bwr4m , the only place a surely a national road has to stop for a local road.

There's a thread listing nearly all of them in the country on here somewhere.

Its not even the only one on the N5 - Longford main street since the N4 was bypassed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

irishgeo wrote: »

Ah one of my favorite junctions while pulling a 45ft trailer behind me:p if anything the roads around Mayo/Roscommon need to be up graded,They have to be some of the worst roads that I travel on.

Ah one of my favorite junctions while pulling a 45ft trailer behind me:p if anything the roads around Mayo/Roscommon need to be up graded,They have to be some of the worst roads that I travel on.
    The big problem with that whole region is that there is no city driving improvements. Instead it's a hodgepodge of small and medium towns. As a result, all roads get equal amounts of traffic - and so upgrades have to be piecemeal.
    Routes like the N9 had a city at either end and so it got the big upgrade it needed in one go. You couldn't justify building something like that in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

spacetweek wrote: »
    The big problem with that whole region is that there is no city driving improvements. Instead it's a hodgepodge of small and medium towns. As a result, all roads get equal amounts of traffic - and so upgrades have to be piecemeal.
    Routes like the N9 had a city at either end and so it got the big upgrade it needed in one go. You couldn't justify building something like that in Mayo.

Who's talking about motorways? Most people in the West just want a basic level of safety and comfort on their national roads, occasional passing lanes, bad bend realignment or bypass of bottleneck junctions/towns. And the key N/S and E/W routes N17 and N4/5 have Galway or Dublin at one end.

• Advertisement

any word who was awarded the contract yet ?

macker16 wrote: »
    any word who was awarded the contract yet ?

there will be not word for another three months at the earliest :(. Clearing the hedges prior to the awarding of the contract means that the NRA will not have to have a main contractor appointed to begin work in the Nov-Feb window. Start date will be spring 2013 IMO

Waiting for wills to finish the longford bypass;)

Response from the Department of Transport.... :D

"In relation to the Ballaghadereen Bypass contractors submitted applications on 9 January, 2012 for the Design and Build Contract for this project. There is currently an assessment of suitability of the applicants is underway and following completion of this, a number of the applicants will be invited to tender for the Design and Build contract. It is currently anticipated that the contract will be awarded in quarter 3 of 2012. Allowing some time for the development of the detailed design, work will commence shortly after award.

As you are aware, this is the largest roads project being funded directly by the Exchequer in the course of the Government’s capital investment to 2016."

funny the fence is going up in the next couple weeks. i thought the contractor does this :confused: and yet the contract is not awarded yet:D.;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Council usually fences the land.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

macker16 wrote: »
    funny the fence is going up in the next couple weeks. i thought the contractor does this :confused: and yet the contract is not awarded yet:D.;)
    MYOB wrote: »

Or there can be two sets of contracts -- one for clearing etc, and another for the main works.

monument wrote: »
    Or there can be two sets of contracts -- one for clearing etc, and another for the main works.

True; but it is still a case of the 'council' (as tenderer) doing the clearing/fencing before the main contract.

I was told that the contracter was doing the fence

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »

Not always the case. On some schemes the fencing is completed prior to the appointment of a contractor to complete the works. The majority of schemes, the fencing is part of the contarctors works.

In a lot of cases I know of, the fencing was completed to some parcels of land by the council as part of the negotiations phase between landowners and the council. Even with his land fenced, a landowner can have grazing rights up until the Lands are made available to the contractor. This is evident at Kiltiernan national school outside Ardrahan

Advertisement