Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas strike general thread (mandatory: read warning in post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

this never happened.

Show me proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

BS. What time was your car parked there then? Passed by luas line outside NCI a couple of times today.

8.33am - 12.02pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Ok, can neither verify nor disprove as passed by c.13:30 and 14:15.

qb123 wrote: »
    Ok, can neither verify nor disprove as passed by c.13:30 and 14:15.

Why do you have to?

Its not Roswell new mexico or 9/11???

that i already gave the times i parked there above would suggest you are not exactly sherlock holmes tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Would it be great if we all could be just LUAS drivers (or at least most of Irish)? It would be glorious for economy and we could save billions on education !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was closer to the office, i didnt even think of it!

As for the lights, I may have taken miniscule liberties with regards crossing of junctions. st. James' hospital to Mayor Square in 7 minutes in Thursday morning rush hour though. pretty pretty pretty good.

All of the Luas road junctions give Luas priority over road traffic and are monitored by Dublin City Coucil traffic management staff. If you did make this trip you'd have been easily spotted on CCTV plus you'd have spent a long time waiting for a chance to get through ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

€17.50 per hour starting rate. Give or take a few cent.

Are they taking the piss ? Overpaid & under worked IMO
    If they do get a pay rise then obviously ticket prices will have to increase aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That's a given seeing as they lost €700,000 last year despite passenger numbers and fares being increased.

I've noticed an increase in tram failures on the Red line recently too just months after Alstom's maintenance contract has ended. I was on 3 trams over the space of two weeks that had to be taken out of service out of 20 trips. I could be just very unlucky, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

After taking over an hour to walk to work yesterday morning on the way home I saw a few people walking along the Green Line, so took a chance and joined them. Was a much quicker walk, there's a path along the side of most of it and its not possible to drive on the sections I was walking (Other than crossing it). Be handy if they put in an official pathway alongside it so could always walk into town that directly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

swervring wrote: »
    After taking over an hour to walk to work yesterday morning on the way home I saw a few people walking along the Green Line, so took a chance and joined them. Was a much quicker walk, there's a path along the side of most of it and its not possible to drive on the sections I was walking (Other than crossing it). Be handy if they put in an official pathway alongside it so could always walk into town that directly!

there was supposed to be a walkway and cyclepath alongside when it was originally designed, but this was dropped for some reason when it was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

loyatemu wrote: »
    there was supposed to be a walkway and cyclepath alongside when it was originally designed, but this was dropped for some reason when it was built.

Such a pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah, an express cycle lane following the green line would make so much sense and relieve pressure on the Luas itself.

heres the thing though.

The govt. seem content not to intervene. rightly so too. the dispute is between the workers and transdev.
    Transdev are losing out by the trams not running. so thats 90,000 commuters a day.
    Lets say for the hell of it that 40,000 of those are return ticket customers, coming in at around 5 quid for a return ticket (just to keep the sums basic.)

so the 40,000 ticket holders, around 20,000 of them would have taxsaver/monthly luas tickets etc...

so of the 90,000 commuters, 40,000 trips are already paid for.

so 50,000 commuters at 5 quid a day is 250,000 quid a day that trans dev are down.

so the 2 day luas strike cost them 500,000.
    The pay increase demands will be 6,000,000

I would assume that the drivers on strike dont get paid for the days that they strike so that would be another 20,000 (ive pulled this one out of my backside, how many staff are we talking here???) a days saved.

You could this with the bonuses that the staff are not going to be get paid, you would assume due to the strike, thats another 2,500 per person, so that must be another 300,000 saved this year.

All in all, the luas drivers will have to go on strike for 26 days in total before it starts to cost more money then the pay increase will be worth.

6,000,000 (the increase) + 300,000 (bonus non payment) =6,300,000
    Divided by the loss of earnings per day
    250,000 (ticket sales) - 20,000 (cost of luas workers wages on strike days) = 230,000

6300000/230000 = 27.39

so, after 27 days of luas strike action, who would your sympathy reside with? the las driver looking for 68k a year or the 90,000 commuters whose daily slog is extended by hours and the hassle that revolves around having one of the arteries cut from the capitals infrastructure.

I've not even taken into account how much this is generating for the economy through increases in petrol sales and the impulse purchases that commuters will be doing on the way to work, the increase in revenue through dublin bus, through new and existing commuters and the increase of usage on the dublin bike scheme.

so many factors to consider. im sure ive left a load of figures out but i think i have the basis right.

heres the thing though.

The govt. seem content not to intervene. rightly so too. the dispute is between the workers and transdev.
    Transdev are losing out by the trams not running. so thats 90,000 commuters a day.
    Lets say for the hell of it that 40,000 of those are return ticket customers, coming in at around 5 quid for a return ticket (just to keep the sums basic.)

so the 40,000 ticket holders, around 20,000 of them would have taxsaver/monthly luas tickets etc...

so of the 90,000 commuters, 40,000 trips are already paid for.

so 50,000 commuters at 5 quid a day is 250,000 quid a day that trans dev are down.

so the 2 day luas strike cost them 500,000.
    The pay increase demands will be 6,000,000

I would assume that the drivers on strike dont get paid for the days that they strike so that would be another 20,000 (ive pulled this one out of my backside, how many staff are we talking here???) a days saved.

You could this with the bonuses that the staff are not going to be get paid, you would assume due to the strike, thats another 2,500 per person, so that must be another 300,000 saved this year.

All in all, the luas drivers will have to go on strike for 26 days in total before it starts to cost more money then the pay increase will be worth.

6,000,000 (the increase) + 300,000 (bonus non payment) =6,300,000
    Divided by the loss of earnings per day
    250,000 (ticket sales) - 20,000 (cost of luas workers wages on strike days) = 230,000

6300000/230000 = 27.39

so, after 27 days of luas strike action, who would your sympathy reside with? the las driver looking for 68k a year or the 90,000 commuters whose daily slog is extended by hours and the hassle that revolves around having one of the arteries cut from the capitals infrastructure.

I've not even taken into account how much this is generating for the economy through increases in petrol sales and the impulse purchases that commuters will be doing on the way to work, the increase in revenue through dublin bus, through new and existing commuters and the increase of usage on the dublin bike scheme.

so many factors to consider. im sure ive left a load of figures out but i think i have the basis right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

murphaph wrote: »
    Yeah, an express cycle lane following the green line would make so much sense and relieve pressure on the Luas itself.

Having to relieve the pressure on a newly built public transport line shortly after building it, tells it's own story about planning in Ireland...

wheres the financial benefit in that though?!

cycling. healthy. people. consideration. etc...

not worth it for the financial outlay to the governmment, they would rather you go play with the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bear in mind that the ticket revenue for LUAS goes to TII (formerly the RPA).

Transdev are in a contract with TII and get paid to operate the service. They don't get the ticket revenue.

Damn it.

so do they pay a % to TII of income or do they have a set fee.

If no income = no payment to TII then my point stands.

If €xx.xx amount has to go to them pw/pa then my figures fall apart a bit with transdev paying the loss. that puts it in at around 7 days worth of strike action covering all costs then. if the strike goes ahead next week, id be more worried about my safety as a driver on the luas then whether id be getting a pay increase. i can see bricks going through the front window of the red line from disgruntled commuters. wouldnt be the first time.

Damn it.

so do they pay a % to TII of income or do they have a set fee.

If no income = no payment to TII then my point stands.

If €xx.xx amount has to go to them pw/pa then my figures fall apart a bit with transdev paying the loss. that puts it in at around 7 days worth of strike action covering all costs then. if the strike goes ahead next week, id be more worried about my safety as a driver on the luas then whether id be getting a pay increase. i can see bricks going through the front window of the red line from disgruntled commuters. wouldnt be the first time.

• Advertisement

It's a set fee, with certain limited additional elements based on performance criteria.

It's subject to the CPI.

SO, WE CAN LOOK FORWARD TO ANOTHER 6-8 DAYS STRIKE ACTION!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭markpb

Transdev get paid a fixed fee for operating the service plus bonuses for meeting certain targets. I'd imagine they'll take a reduction on the fixed fee for any days not operated at all.

markpb wrote: »
    Transdev get paid a fixed fee for operating the service plus bonuses for meeting certain targets. I'd imagine they'll take a reduction on the fixed fee for any days not operated at all.

Absolutely - just as the CIE Group have in the past when there have been strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How does the fixed fee translate into a 700k annual loss? You'd imagine a big operator like Transdev would have done their sums a bit better before signing such a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Any idea when the next strike days are planned for?

Next Thursday and Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

lxflyer wrote: »
    Next Thursday and Friday

Feckit. Thought as much.

Rightly knackers up my plans.

Automate the bloody things, with snow ploughs on the front to disperse cars that break lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the las driver looking for 68k a year

68k, 60k, 65k, 64k. i have read so many bogus figures in the last couple of days its actually not funny any more. they are not looking for anything near 60 anything k. the most they will get (and the most they are looking for) is about 10-15% in real terms.
    the 90,000 commuters whose daily slog is extended by hours

all 90000 commuters daily commute extended by hours? no chance. a small few maybe but not all 90000.
    Valetta wrote: »
    Automate the bloody things, with snow ploughs on the front to disperse cars that break lights.

can't be done. it not being segregated makes automating it prohibitive. health and safety as well. if it was doable it would have been done all ready.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

68k, 60k, 65k, 64k. i have read so many bogus figures in the last couple of days its actually not funny any more. they are not looking for anything near 60 anything k. the most they will get (and the most they are looking for) is about 10-15% in real terms.

all 90000 commuters daily commute extended by hours? no chance. a small few maybe but not all 90000.

can't be done. it not being segregated makes automating it prohibitive. health and safety as well. if it was doable it would have been done all ready.

Well if you really want to deconstruct it, it has an affect on 400,000 commuters daily, from as far away as Galway.
    It affects the trains and how they operate due to delays of passengers getting on and getting off. it affects bus eireann due to the traffic on the roads. it affects the car users through traffic build up. commuting times, parking spots, changing schedules. it means the babysitter/grandmother etc... have to come over an hour earlier to mind the kids while the parent is at work. it means the guy that calls into insomnia on the way to work isnt going to spend his cash in the store because he is frantically looking for a parking spot. It means people weary and worn down from paying water charges, property tax, usc tax, paye, prsi, rnli and every other acronym have to get up earlier and get into work earlier to miss this ensuing malee that is Dublin city centre. so no, its not 90,000, its closer to 450,000.

The figures are there and written down in the public domain. not everyone wiklll be on the 60+K level but alot of them will. the increase they are looking for and the amount they are hardballing is very much real 53%.

The likes of the sky train in vancouver or the one in seattle are automated. it would take an awful lot of investment but for the hasle staff cause, go for it tf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement