Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best 10k workouts - by Greg Mcmillan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Well, I've started out on this programme again. Did a warm up 6x1k last week and yesterday, despite the snow I was able to do a 5x1 mile @ 10k pace. Only negative was that it should have been 6 instead of 5 but it was getting dark and I had to head back home through the woods.

The reps went 5.47, 5.54, 5.46, 5.56 and 5.55 so happy enough. 3 min recs.

Aim is to do at least one but hopefully 2 10k races in March and beat the 2014 time of 37.07.

Weather permitting, I hope to be able to do the full plan this year. 12x400 then next week @5k pace. Haven't quite decided what the decent weekend run should be. Tempo, progression, Long with a couple of kms at 10k pace at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Itziger wrote: »
    Well, I've started out on this programme again. Did a warm up 6x1k last week and yesterday, despite the snow I was able to do a 5x1 mile @ 10k pace. Only negative was that it should have been 6 instead of 5 but it was getting dark and I had to head back home through the woods.
    Are there bears in the woods?! Great going... Even without the bears...

Are there bears in the woods?! Great going... Even without the bears...

Don't know, but the Pope might have been in there. (Obscure personal in-joke of mine)

Are bears Catholic? Anyway, lucky I did it yesterday, snow coming down heavier now. Trot in same woods at best this evening.

Forgot to update this, might as well. Be great if someone else was giving it a go so that we could compare training. Did the 12x400 last week on a lovely ice-free patch of my river run route. If truth be told the pace was a bit faster than current 5k pace - let's say that would be 3.30/km

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1020670472

Times ranged from 78.7 to 83.7. Happy that last 6 were all about 80 seconds.

This week calls for the 1x2mile and 4x1mile workout.

Just updating. Did the 1x2mile + 4x1mile session today.

Went well enough, tough but ok.

The 2 mile was 11.47 and the 4 singles went from 5.51 to 5.55, so all in the ballpark. Track is about 333mt on the inside lane and the 1500 metre line is marked so I paced back 100 (YES! I know, should've been 109) steps back from there for the singles.

The 2 miler, I started from the 200 metre line and then did 9 laps on top. The Garmin was, as ever on the track, way out.

Next week: 24x200 @ 5k pace.

• Advertisement

24x200 today. First time I've ever done this session. As the track is 333 metres and I couldn't be bothered starting and stopping the watch all the time, I kinda did it by feel. Jogged the remaining distance to start again. Only time I ever walked was after rep 12. Was thinking of taking a mini break but I was cold and wet so just kept going. Felt ok. I think the 200's were around 3.05 to 3.10 pace.

Linky.>https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1038107535

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭muloc

Plan to start this in a few weeks. Can currently only do 3 miles with rests at desired pace so hopefully will be ready in time to do 6 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Started this last weekend with the 6*1 miles off 2-3 minutes. Found it tough but got through it. Looking to take my pb from 39.39 to 38.20. My mileage will average 40-45 miles for the 8 weeks.

Aside from the long runs which I will keep between 11-15 miles what other sessions have people found beneficial to supplement the key sessions?

I will be doing the key sessions on Saturday with my long run on Sunday or Monday. Was considering doing a few tempo miles on Wednesday/Thursday. What would people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Great to see this tread resurrected again...

Im kind of doing this "backwards", i.e. for the last 2 weeks I have run a 4*1 @ 10K pace with 2min off, but without a goal race to speak of.

I will be doing the 2*2 next Tuesday which should prove more challenging.

Similar question to AverageJoe above, in relation to LSR distance and other sessions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Given a 6d running week with MLR on Weds, LR on Sat and a rest day on Fri, what's the best day to target for these sessions - Tues or Thurs - or does it matter that much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

I would incorporate them into the MLR on Wed. 2 mile WU/CD + session would be pretty close to 10 miles

YaY! At last a few posting on this thread. I was back in the homeland for a few days and without internet, would've responded otherwise.

I think that the 2nd 'Q' day could be either a Tempo run or a fast finish medium distance run or a race of sorts. Last weekend I did a 14k trail race, but I'd say a few park runs might do the trick as well.

This week I got to train with the Eagle lads in Cork. First time ever. As I had an extra week in the plan - counting back from 8 has never been a strong point of mine - I said I'd do whatever they were doing. 'They' turned out to be one who was around my level of ability and doing something akin to a 10k session. It was 6x1mile at slightly slower than target pace but with only 1 min recovery. Tough old workout. We completed it in one piece and the miles were all a little under 6 minutes. Last one was 5.50 I believe. Glad to see the lad I did em with also does 4 laps!! as opposed to 4 + 9 metres. Only downside is a sore quad/thigh which I think hadn't fully recovered from the trail race. Next week I think I have the 2x2 miles +2x1mile. Getting into the meaty bit of the plan now.

Good luck to the others trying this. Keep us posted.

Started this last weekend with the 6*1 miles off 2-3 minutes. Found it tough but got through it. Looking to take my pb from 39.39 to 38.20. My mileage will average 40-45 miles for the 8 weeks.

I'm about same level. PB 40 but Summer since I did one. Reckon could prob manage 39 if I did one now. Hoping to get 10k to 37.30 by May starting this in a couple of weeks.

I notice your weekly mileage is way more than mine. I run 5 times/week, about 25 miles. What do people think? Is my weekly mileage way too low to achieve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

ger664 wrote: »
    I would incorporate them into the MLR on Wed. 2 mile WU/CD + session would be pretty close to 10 miles

Makes sense.
    Am new to speedwork and have never raced a 10k but am targeting the K Club.
    Got my 5k pb down to 21:51 off a few weeks of 400m intervals so aiming for 44:59 :)
    Averaging 40-45m a week.

muloc wrote: »
    I'm about same level. PB 40 but Summer since I did one. Reckon could prob manage 39 if I did one now. Hoping to get 10k to 37.30 by May starting this in a couple of weeks.

I notice your weekly mileage is way more than mine. I run 5 times/week, about 25 miles. What do people think? Is my weekly mileage way too low to achieve this?

It is on the low side, yeah. Doesn't mean you can't do it though.

Did this session today after an easy 10 k yesterday. 18k progression of sorts although hadn't really planned it.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1050262309

Definitely coming into some form. Felt strong today.

am struggling a bit trying to do 4 x 1 miles @ 6:00 pace. First 3 are just about ok with 3 mins. rest between whereas I need 5 mins. rest before the 4th and can only manage about 6:20

Any advice on how to improve this as I hope to start with the 6 x 1 miles @ 6:00 pace in a couple of weeks.

Would an LSR at weekend help and at what pace?

am struggling a bit trying to do 4 x 1 miles @ 6:00 pace. First 3 are just about ok with 3 mins. rest between whereas I need 5 mins. rest before the 4th and can only manage about 6:20

Any advice on how to improve this as I hope to start with the 6 x 1 miles @ 6:00 pace in a couple of weeks.

Perhaps look at doing 2*1mile + 4*1km and building it up from there before you start the plan?

I won't be incorporating too much speed into my long runs so they will all be run at a comfortable effort, for me this works out at about 10k pace + 2 minutes p/mile. I know some will be bringing some of the faster stuff into their long runs so perhaps they can help there.

I have decided to target the K club 10k in April so I will have an extra week or two buffer to repeat a session if needed or do a 5k race. I did a parkrun last week in 18.45 (20 seconds off my pb) felt there was more there but I just couldn't access it. Hopefully this will come down in the coming months too.

Looking forward to the 1*2 + 4*1 miles this weekend.

Perhaps look at doing 2*1mile + 4*1km and building it up from there before you start the plan?

I won't be incorporating too much speed into my long runs so they will all be run at a comfortable effort, for me this works out at about 10k pace + 2 minutes p/mile. I know some will be bringing some of the faster stuff into their long runs so perhaps they can help there.

I have decided to target the K club 10k in April so I will have an extra week or two buffer to repeat a session if needed or do a 5k race. I did a parkrun last week in 18.45 (20 seconds off my pb) felt there was more there but I just couldn't access it. Hopefully this will come down in the coming months too.

Looking forward to the 1*2 + 4*1 miles this weekend.

what's your target for the 10k in April?

what's your target for the 10k in April?

PB of 39.39 dating back to June of last year & haven't run a 10k since.

A- Sub 38
    B- Sub 38.30
    C- Sub 39

I assume you are looking closer to 37 minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

My 2c

I think you need to re-evaluate your target time. Train towards improvement rather than training towards a target time. Dropping your pace by 30 sec per mile in 10 weeks off a very low aerobic base is not realistic and will actually be counter productive to your improvement by training towards that time.

If you want to improve significantly change the following parameters

- Run for time rather than distance - instead of 6x1 mile run 6x5 min @ current 10k pace (approx 6.20) with the same recoveries as prescribed. Substitute 5 min for every 1m in the target sessions.

- Add a long run at the weekends of roughly 7-12 miles (start at the former and build). Pace should be easy and focus on time on your feet

- Off such a low mileage base I would do 1 session a week however if you did build your training you could look to add a second session of a tempo (once you go beyond 40mpw)

You will find this sort of approach while not seeming as hard day to day actually yields bigger improvements than you would get by running too hard for too long with the sessions the way you are working on at the moment.

Apologies, I just saw this now. Your target time would seem pretty aggressive based on your current PB and mileage in my opinion.

Did the 2x2 and 2x1 miles today. Tough but ok. Just about hitting the target splits.

11.47, 11.53, 5.51 and 5.53.

Approx 5 mins between the 2 milers and 3 between the singles.

Muloc, I'd agree with the others. Lower the sights a little. If as the programme goes on you get much stronger you might still achieve the original target but right now it sounds like you're not ready for it. I'd be looking for about 40 miles a week for that target time.

Did the 2x2 and 2x1 miles today. Tough but ok. Just about hitting the target splits.

11.47, 11.53, 5.51 and 5.53.

Approx 5 mins between the 2 milers and 3 between the singles.

Muloc, I'd agree with the others. Lower the sights a little. If as the programme goes on you get much stronger you might still achieve the original target but right now it sounds like you're not ready for it. I'd be looking for about 40 miles a week for that target time.

yep have had a rethink and will increase the mileage a bit and lower the target to 6:10 miles. See how I go with that for a few weeks.

You seem to be flying along.

That sounds sensible. Good luck with it.

I wouldn't exactly say 'flying'!! If I want to lower the pb (37.07) I have to gun for sub 6 minutes. We'll see in a few weeks time.

That sounds sensible. Good luck with it.

I wouldn't exactly say 'flying'!! If I want to lower the pb (37.07) I have to gun for sub 6 minutes. We'll see in a few weeks time.

didn't realise yer pb was that good :eek:

didn't realise yer pb was that good :eek:

You mean, for an old fella? :)

Hoping to do the same two races I did two years ago, one week between them. First one is a bit tougher (course pb, 37.28) second one is flatter. Hopefully the second one is on a calm day cos you run along a river for a few k and I remember it being hard. Of course, when we turned the course went 20 yards 'inland' from the water and I couldn't feel a bit of benefit!

Any updates?? I'm laid low with a nasty chest cough. Will be at least 3 days with no running. Lucky I got the Wed session in.

Then I suppose I'll need a few easy days. So a week lost almost. I should be still ok but it's a bit of a shame.

How's the chest Itz?

Did the 1*2 + 4*1 this weekend with an average of 6.15.

12.21 (6.05, 6.16) 6.18, 6.20, 6.16, 6.15. Needed every second of the recovery where I walked a bit in between the last 2 miles.

The wind was coming from all directions and I fought way too hard on the 1*2 mile starting off to try and stay on pace which made the rest of the session a lot tougher than I would of liked. Had nothing little left in the tank at the end of this session.

A couple of excuses for this as it was done in the evening after a long day and I didn't have the right runners for it but a decent effort all the same.

13 miles yesterday in wind and the rain which turned out to be my most enjoyable run of the year to date.

52 miles for the week.

• Advertisement

Decent week there aj123!

The wind and rain will come in handy yet. What are you aiming for again? That 6.05 came back to haunt you, eh.

Advertisement