Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Confirmation email, I got says that anyone with a discounted contract is in an 18 month contract, despite being told in both calls I made that, I was being offered half price for 9 months and full price for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ALS

Got My deal , 50% off for 9 months on Tuesday and specifically asked about the €5 increase and was promised it would not apply as my price was guaranteed for duration Of 12 month contract , 2 days later I get the email advising of price increase of €5 ... Called them up and was told I can cancel if I don't agree to price rise , nothing they can do about it , anyone else have this experience ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

On 240MB broadband package, out of contract. Just off the phone from the Manila call centre and pushed hard for 9 months half price. The best I could get was half price for 6 months (i.e. €25 for 6 months, €50 for 6 months).

I enquired about the 360MB package and they were offering the same terms as above but at €30/€60 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

besty wrote: »
    On 240MB broadband package, out of contract. Just off the phone from the Manila call centre and pushed hard for 9 months half price. The best I could get was half price for 6 months (i.e. €25 for 6 months, €50 for 6 months).

I enquired about the 360MB package and they were offering the same terms as above but at €30/€60 per month.

is the new contract 12 or 18 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bicsoi

Confirmation email, I got says that anyone with a discounted contract is in an 18 month contract, despite being told in both calls I made that, I was being offered half price for 9 months and full price for 3 months.

went onto chat and asked the agent to confirm my contract length of (have 9 months half price) agent told me my contract finished on the 7th February 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

Ive 9 months left in my contract, I've got 100mb BB, paying 40 a month and they are putting it up to 45 a month.

When I rang them they offered me 6 months at 22.50 and 45 a month thereafter 12 month contract.

Overall it works out at 38.25 a month each month for 12 months. I asked them about moving up to the 360mb BB, they told me that it costs 60 a month and I'd get it half price for whatever line I wanted to go with but i'd be keeping my old box.

Sky are doing a deal for 35 a month, 12 month contract...... thinking of moving to them, their customer service team seem to be better as well.

VM They must be operating on commission to keep their customers as he was not at all impressed when I said I would think about it over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

I sent email to cancellations just to start the 30 day notice process before my contract ends. Have a half price 6mths deal 12 mth contract on the table for Horizon max 240MB and some phonecall package.

They were onto me with an URGENT email looking to get the equipment back despite me having now 28 days of service to pay for and "enjoy". If only their customer service dept was as zealous in responding to queries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

So finally made the breakthrough. Rang Manilla, said my account was due for disconnection in late Feb and I was ringing 1 last time to see if they had an offer before Sky called out next week to install a dish. All I had been offered up to that was a downgrade which would save €10 per month.
    Manilla put me through to Loyalty Dept in Limerick and thankfully got speaking to a Paddy. He was surprised that no real offer of any sort had been to keep me.
    I mentioned the 9 month half price offer that all Boards are talking about and how Sky were €49pm.

So he said he'd not go through the sales pitch and offered me the 9 months half price. He also took the €5 price rise away by cancelling the mobiles phone calls part of my package. And I asked any offers for Sports as I usually got something when I signed up each year so he gave me 2 months free BT/Setanta.

That was an epic this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

So finally made the breakthrough. Rang Manilla, said my account was due for disconnection in late Feb and I was ringing 1 last time to see if they had an offer before Sky called out next week to install a dish. All I had been offered up to that was a downgrade which would save €10 per month.
    Manilla put me through to Loyalty Dept in Limerick and thankfully got speaking to a Paddy. He was surprised that no real offer of any sort had been to keep me.
    I mentioned the 9 month half price offer that all Boards are talking about and how Sky were €49pm.

So he said he'd not go through the sales pitch and offered me the 9 months half price. He also took the €5 price rise away by cancelling the mobiles phone calls part of my package. And I asked any offers for Sports as I usually got something when I signed up each year so he gave me 2 months free BT/Setanta.

That was an epic this year

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭mckildare

... I've got 100mb BB, paying 40 a month and they are putting it up to 45 a month.

When I rang them they offered me 6 months at 22.50 and 45 a month thereafter 12 month contract.

Same as this for me but 120Mb BB. Took the offer as it's cheaper than the current price by 75 for the year and cheaper than Sky's offer by 15 for the year. Not much I know but with the effort of switching (more phone calls, putting in a new router etc etc) I'll stay with them for another year as long as the service keeps up the way it has so far. Let's see now though can the Manilla dept. make the change without messing up the pro-rata charges in between, the Irish dept have an awful track record of this from my previous contract changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I currently have a 240Mb broadband and homephone package with them (I have a Skydish with a Freesat HD receiver on it- and we're on 12 month contracts with Vodafone for our mobiles). I'm thinking of dropping the home phone altogether- and just taking broadband from them (is this even an option anymore?). What are my options (I've tried to guage what my options are on their website- however, they don't feature the reduced packages- of only broadband or BB and home phone- that they used have........) Any ideas?

Not sure there was ever a real reduction for phone only, everytime I checked upc there was a better offer on the phone + broadband package. I don't even have a phone plugged into ours for fear someone will use it :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I got 240Mb broadband for €25 first four months and €50 there after (previously on 120Mb). 12 month contract. As a bonus I only realized recently I'd been overcharged €3.50 since July 2014 as they hadn't applied my "Self Service" subscription properly. Go check your bills! :) This was by phone.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

yoyo wrote: »
    I got 240Mb broadband for €25 first four months and €50 there after (previously on 120Mb). 12 month contract. As a bonus I only realized recently I'd been overcharged €3.50 since July 2014 as they hadn't applied my "Self Service" subscription properly. Go check your bills! :) This was by phone.

Nick

Got offered this too, tempted to see if I can get more though ha. I can't shake the feeling that the extra 120Mb is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭podge3

Got the 9 months/3 months half-price offer via chat this morning.

I think I was chatting with an Irish person. Aside from the fact she had a very "Irish" name, her English was impeccable.

Anyhoo, was offered the 9 months/3 months deal almost as soon as I mentioned it. I said I saw it on Boards :D, no mention of Sky etc.

I had 12 months left on an 18 months contract. Only saved €40 or €50 - maybe thats why it was so painless.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Benzino wrote: »
    Got offered this too, tempted to see if I can get more though ha. I can't shake the feeling that the extra 120Mb is unnecessary.

Completely unnecessary. The upload speed boost is welcome though. Thing is it turns out cheaper for me as my bill would have been 50 after the €5 price increase anyways. Unfortunately it is a situation where UPC are still the best out there for broadband alone :( .
    In saying that I'm not too sure that the older cisco modems support the 240Mb, the download speeds actually slower :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    5047927283.png

Nick

Edit: Virgin rep confirmed new modem is needed for 240Mb, so that will be posted out at some point. Funny I wasn't told this during the call but anyways..

Second edit, don't need new modem, above problem was user error. Swapped Ethernet cable and better result:
    5050647444.png

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Got 6 months half price @ 22.50€ per month and 44.99€ after that for 240 meg and landline with mobile calls so was happy enough with that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

I was offered 40 euro for first 6 months and 50 for last 6 months. She said the other offers are available at a particular time. Mentioned sky didn't care too much. She gladly gave me the cancellation email ...pretty annoying il try again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fear_factory84

which one is the right email to cancel my virgin media account?
    cancel@virginmedia.ie or cancellation@virginmedia.ie?

Is there any other way to close your account (by a letter for example)? It looks like it's very difficult to close a virgin media contract.

Thanks!

edit: cancel@virginmedia.ie seems that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

Got email today, just on to loyalty in Manilla now - should be interesting, currently on 240mb & home phone.....this bloody music is very loud

Got 360mb Mobile World, 9 months half price...happy with that.

BTW I rang 061 272190....on hold for about 5 mins initially

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Currently have broadband & home phone with national & mobile calls for €45. Got email today to say that bill would be increasing by €5 from next month.

Rang 1908, got through to the Irish loyalty department. Best they could offer was 4 months for €22.50, increasing to €50 after that. Quoted all the offers mentioned here on Boards, and got absolutely nowhere :mad:

Will have to try ringing again in a few days' time and go through the whole rigmarole again, as am not prepared to pay €50 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Got offered 34.99 for 6 months , then 44.99 for the next 6 . Wasn`t happy so I got offered 22.50 for 4 months and then 44.99 for 8 months .

Was on to the non Irish call center . I`m on 240 package with all calls including mobile .To be honest its hard going with the language barrier .Try again

tomorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Got 120mb and some phone package (never used) for 9 months at 22.50 and 3 months at 45.

Took about 10 minutes on the phone - and two checks with their teamleader.

Just remember, stick to what you want, be polite but firm. Don't get distracted by any of their questions if it's not relevant to negotiating your discount.

At the end of the day, remember it's not personal, they have a job to do and they don't have a personal interest in refusing your request or giving you the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

SEORG wrote: »
    Got email today, just on to loyalty in Manilla now - should be interesting, currently on 240mb & home phone.....this bloody music is very loud

Got 360mb Mobile World, 9 months half price...happy with that.

BTW I rang 061 272190....on hold for about 5 mins initially

How much is half price?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

mad m wrote: »
    How much is half price?

€30

I was on the phone this morning with Manilla call center, offered me 9 months half price.
    I asked 3 or 4 times how long was the contract and she told me 12 months.
    Got an email in the afternoon saying 18 months contract. That happened to many people.
    Before that I spoke to somebody in Limerick whp also proposed me as well 12 months contract...

I was on the phone this morning with Manilla call center, offered me 9 months half price.
    I asked 3 or 4 times how long was the contract and she told me 12 months.
    Got an email in the afternoon saying 18 months contract. That happened to many people.
    Before that I spoke to somebody in Limerick whp also proposed me as well 12 months contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Does it make a difference if its a 12 or 18month contract as if they change prices next Feb again as previous years you will be able to threaten cancellation and they will give you a new offer which will start a new contract again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Mine says this:
    Virgin wrote:
    Your Virgin Media bundle has a subscription contract for 12 months (or 18 on a discounted offer) and if you’ve added any premium channels the contract length for these is 30 days.

A bit confusing that. It says "you're contract is 12 months", but then it says "or 18 on a discounted offer". I'm guessing the 6 months/9 months half price thing counts as a discounted offer and I do indeed have an 18 month contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

jamescd wrote: »
    Mine says this:

A bit confusing that. It says "you're contract is 12 months", but then it says "or 18 on a discounted offer". I'm guessing the 6 months/9 months half price thing counts as a discounted offer and I do indeed have an 18 month contract?

When I spoke to them on the phone they told me that it was a 12 month contract, they would have to stand over what they said on the phone, recorded calls and all that....

Advertisement