Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula E

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Fanboost is open for Beijing.

Vote here: http://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/#votingframe

Less than a week to go to the Beijing race. What are your thoughts for front runners? I think it will be interesting to see what the new changes will make to the overall field. Obviously going from "standard" cars to "customer" cars is going tk change things, but is it going to end up causing a split in the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Its really hard to know who will be strong until practice, qauly and the race, of course. This technology is so new and I am excited to see what happens next once the tea,s begin developing their own tech. While I'm not a big fan of pure electric at the moment, I'm into the hybrid technology, I do think this will progress to being one of the best race series around once they get the better speeds out of the electric motors.

Last year it seemed pedestrian in terms of speed, and with the tech opened up, we could see massive gains in electric motor performance.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

It really will be interesting to see what happens the tech, when teams invest into it. The way to win will be getting longevity out of the batteries. Either push to no car swap or have better battery tech so they can push the power harder, but still only need the one swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm looking forward to see how Jacques Villeneuve will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What time is the race on at tomorrow? Will be interesting to see if this will be as good as last year with all the different power train units now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

ITV4's coverage begins at 8am tomorrow, I'd assume the race starts at 9am BST.

Reminder bump for those getting in late!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks like all the sessions live on youtube too... :D
    so for anyone who can't sleep
    I think it's
    1.15 practice
    3.30 practice
    5.00 qualifying

https://www.youtube.com/user/FIAFormulaE

imagine f1 did that :pac:

Argh, ITV4 on UPC means its not available to ROI viewers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

antodeco wrote: »
    Argh, ITV4 on UPC means its not available to ROI viewers!

It's streaming online, even on YouTube.

Race results

366545.jpg

The Renault is a very strong car. Could have easily dominated with two cars only for Prost's poor luck (he was due some poor luck). Good to see Heidfeld had a race where someone didn't take him out.

I like the fanboost voting ending after the first few laps, as it gives you a chance to vote for a driver who's close behind another driver.

I hope the other teams can catch up by the time we get to Putrajaya, e.DAMS totally Mercedes'd the field today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

3 Different gearbox types on the podium is encouraging for the rest of the season. Mahindra say they have more pace, and had they not messed up the pit stop, Heidfeld would have been on for second. NextEV TCR have really backed themselves into a corner with their overweight twin motors. Smaller mistakes have bigger consequences for Turvey and Piquet with the increased rear bias. Duval's energy saving on the first car was almost perfect. Some more speed from Dragon, and I think he'll be featuring regularly in the top 5.

A great start to the season.

Tomorrow morning I believe at stupid o'clock for the Malaysian race. I think it's a 6 o'clock race start with an hours coverage beforehand. Just need to figure out how to record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Have you a recorder. Just make sure you have you scart or HDMI lead going into that from your digital or satellite box and then from it to your tv. Then just a matter of having it on the right station and setting it to record at the right time. It should be up on You-Tube in a day or two anyways.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Thanks for reminding me, I do have a satellite combo box with DVR function - I can stick on a memory stick for recording. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

red flag at the moment, problem with curb or something

astrofluff wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me, I do have a satellite combo box with DVR function - I can stick on a memory stick for recording. :)

I think this year they're leaving the full streams public on their YouTube channel post race. The Beijing stream is still up, all 9 hours of it.

• Advertisement

Turn 3 and Turn 10 are going to be tricky during the race. Lots of drivers spinning pretty easily on entry to both. Surprising early pace from Dragon. Could be quite close at the top come the Super Pole.

And for anyone streaming it, the Website is about 30 seconds ahead of the YouTube stream, and is only 10 seconds behind the broadcast.

This really was a race of two halves. It was a bit boring until the e.DAMS cars ran into troubles.

It must suck to be Jay Penske right now. :o

This really was a race of two halves. It was a bit boring until the e.DAMS cars ran into troubles.

It must suck to be Jay Penske right now. :o

The temperatures really got to everyone, but that wasn't unexpected. Prost choking and pitting early though, that I didn't see coming. Listening to the post race interviews, it seems as though e.DAMS have just fallen apart today.

Solid race from Senna to go from last to 5th, all without proper radio communication.

The podium drivers were complaining about the track surface on their golf buggy trip to the podium. Caught a lot of people out in FP, and caught a few today too.

I'd stay well away from Mr Penske for quite some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Formula E announced a support series for next year, a fully driverless series

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/formula-e-autonomous-roborace-series-2016-113015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Formula E announced a support series for next year, a fully driverless series

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/formula-e-autonomous-roborace-series-2016-113015

Honestly, I can't think of anything I'd rather watch less. F-E isn't my cup ot tea currently, but I can see where it might go, and I can see the appeal in some cases. But 'ROBORACE', good lord...I'll stick with Robot Wars :rolleyes:

Ok, I am stumped. I'm big into technology but this is completely off this planet. I can't quite get my head around how this will be entertaining in the sense I'm used to. I think I need to reserve judgement until I've seen at least one race.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,975 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

astrofluff wrote:
    Ok, I am stumped. I'm big into technology but this is completely off this planet. I can't quite get my head around how this will be entertaining in the sense I'm used to. I think I need to reserve judgement until I've seen at least one race.

It's only interesting from a technology point of view. Driverless cars is the new big thing and has immediate application in road cars. It's a way for the developers to research their product and offset the cosy with sponsorship and viewership.

I support the drivers rather than the teams so I would struggle to get excited about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Technologically its interesting and will likely lead to some improvement somewhere.. From a spectators point of view, I really dunno, could be interesting to watch how it plays out, or doesn't

Auto Blog piece

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm a bit excited about AI races. If you want to see cars going as fast as possible then AI is the way to go. The first year could be like watching wacky races, it should be entertaining.

• Advertisement

I want to see Turn 10 enter M. Rossi. :pac:

Advertisement