Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

365577.jpg

Click to Spike!
    Harpoon your way to bicycle security.

Warning! Ear plugs are recommended when retrieving your bike to drown out the howls of anguish of harpooned bad guys.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've deleted a few posts - do not speculate on here over bikes you think may have been stolen. Take your suspicions to AGS or report them to the relevant hosting site(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Hope this is Ok, If someone had a Gold colour Giant road bike stolen recently Pm me. I might be able to help in its recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I saw a beautiful restored High Nelly with a new looking brooks saddle up against the cobblestone bar in Smithfield last Saturday night completely unlocked ! , just sitting there ! , checked outside again after I had two pints and it was still there , not sure if it lasted the rest of the night , almost thought of taking it myself ! :) Someone was really making it easy for a thief there .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

To the poor divil(rather tall) who is about to find his bike stolen, white hybrid trek or giant I think locked to crowd barrier on Princes Street outside side entrance to Pennys at about 16.50. John E Scumbag, arrived about 17.00 with a clippers in his back pack, I ran from my office but the scumbag was already on it any away down pissie lane (Smelly lane at the end of Princes Street before entry to Arnotts car park) before I could do anything to stop him.

Age 25-35 approx
    Height 5'8-5'10

He understood english as he turned when I ran shouting at him the door man in Pennys may have a better description, CCTV footage on the lane may help.

Sorry for your troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Hey All.

Had my bike stolen from the underground carpark in my apartment block in Sandyford in the past day or two. Just in case anyone sees it about.

Its a 4 or 5 year old Trek 6300, grey frame with black and red accents, and breaks dont work too well (i was in the process of having them repaired but didnt get it finished).

Pic below.

Thanks folks.
    22428521101_ae7c78bc20_c.jpg

a follow up on my last post, the owner was a Belgian guy, spoke to him(via a translator app) when the police arrived he had gone, with no English we assumed he was heading home to get his partner to go with him to Store St. The security guy in Pennys was also very good in trying to help him, he burned the CCTV footage for the guards, chances of recognising the scumbag quite high, chances of getting the bike back, probably zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bloggsie wrote: »
    a follow up on my last post, the owner was a Belgian guy, spoke to him(via a translator app) when the police arrived he had gone, with no English we assumed he was heading home to get his partner to go with him to Store St. The security guy in Pennys was also very good in trying to help him, he burned the CCTV footage for the guards, chances of recognising the scumbag quite high, chances of getting the bike back, probably zero.

I stung a scumbag down the same street a few years back.. Some gear had been stolen from my bike, so I parked up at the same bike park a few days later and sat on the window of the GPO.

I didn't have long to wait before two scumbags came for it.

It was kinda funny because I caught one of the lads, the other ran but there was a Haria Krishna parade (is that what you'd call 'em, used to be common in the 90's) passing, they grabbed the other lad :pac:

I've often thought of doing similar again ~ where are the Krishna's when ya need 'em though?.

I stung a scumbag down the same street a few years back.. Some gear had been stolen from my bike, so I parked up at the same bike park a few days later and sat on the window of the GPO.

I didn't have long to wait before two scumbags came for it.

It was kinda funny because I caught one of the lads, the other ran but there was a Haria Krishna parade (is that what you'd call 'em, used to be common in the 90's) passing, they grabbed the other lad :pac:

I've often thought of doing similar again ~ where are the Krishna's when ya need 'em though?.
    saw a pretty round fella(trying to be polite, he was huge) going through panniers on a bike outside on Pricess street some time ago. they were empty, at the time I thought it would be very funny to put some mouse traps into the panniers(akin to Tom & Jerry cartoons) and wait for the enevietable to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Interesting post regarding bike thiefs using publicly posted Strava updates etc to determine bikes location

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/thieves-use-strava-and-other-sites-to-find-homes-with-expensive-bikes/

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

eladnova wrote: »
    Interesting post regarding bike thiefs using publicly posted Strava updates etc to determine bikes location

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/thieves-use-strava-and-other-sites-to-find-homes-with-expensive-bikes/
    Posters have mentioned that before, but more in the context of press comments in the UK, where that SB article had its roots ....

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

my scott speedster 40 black and white road bike was stolen on Thurs 29-10. It was at my work car park in Charlemont place dublin 2. I bought it in march (still paying it off cycle to work scheme).
    It was stolen between 3-45 and 5-10.

They cut through my lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Delboy007 wrote: »
    my scott speedster 40 black and white road bike was stolen on Thurs 29-10. It was at my work car park in Charlemont place dublin 2. I bought it in march (still paying it off cycle to work scheme).
    It was stolen between 3-45 and 5-10.

They cut through my lock.

Sickner

Might be worth posting here too
    https://www.facebook.com/f3ck3rs/?fref=ts

Sickner

Might be worth posting here too
    https://www.facebook.com/f3ck3rs/?fref=ts

thanks up now u never know could be luckly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Delboy007 wrote: »
    It was a Norco keyed coil lock, I have used it for the last two years, I suppose I should have got a better one when I got the new bike.

While we are on about locks, what is the best lock to get to stop them form been able to cut through so easy.

Also were does people insure there BIKE with and how much usual( can not on house insurance as renting), value of bike 1k (going to get a new one)

Current thread on locks here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057517258&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Hey All.

Had my bike stolen from the underground carpark in my apartment block in Sandyford in the past day or two. Just in case anyone sees it about.

Its a 4 or 5 year old Trek 6300, grey frame with black and red accents, and breaks dont work too well (i was in the process of having them repaired but didnt get it finished).

Pic below.

Thanks folks.
    22428521101_ae7c78bc20_c.jpg

Update: Garda came and had a look. Said that there was a gang with a grinder a few weeks ago stealing bikes in the area. they took the dates when the bike may have been stolen and said they would ask the management company for footage but said the chance of them having time to look through the footage was small so basically, dont get my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 chipschips

Sounds like the same gang that got mine last night in Dundrum. Angle Grinder straight through the lock.

Was a Giant Defy 5 with flat handle bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭davdvn

My sons bike was taken from outside a shop on St Gabriels road in Clontarf on Friday afternoon.
    Its a White and Blue stripe Merida Matts Mountain bike.
    Had an expensive lock (which he wasnt using) as he was in the shop for 10 secs.
    He is devastated as he bought it himself with his confo money.
    Have them on cctv, even have the name of one of them and I know they are from the Northstrand area.
    The Guards were helpful and can only do so much.
    There must be a market for these bikes somewhere as there are so many been stolen all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

davdvn wrote: »
    My sons bike was taken from outside a shop on St Gabriels road in Clontarf on Friday afternoon.
    Its a White and Blue stripe Merida Matts Mountain bike.
    Had an expensive lock (which he wasnt using) as he was in the shop for 10 secs.
    He is devastated as he bought it himself with his confo money.
    Have them on cctv, even have the name of one of them and I know they are from the Northstrand area.
    The Guards were helpful and can only do so much.
    There must be a market for these bikes somewhere as there are so many been stolen all the time.

Has anyone ever, ever heard of any buyer of a stolen bicycle being prosecuted for receiving stolen goods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I had my bike stolen tonight at 19:15 by some complete reptile. It was taken from the bike cage in the underground car park under Starbucks on Stephen's Green, I presume after said reptile snipped the lock on the cage. With security and the underground being gated with a locked cage a lot of the bikes are left unlocked in there; how big a mistake that was. The thief made his way in the car par gate by the Mansion House on Dawson St, down the stairwell to the underground and back the same way only with two bikes and my high-vis gloves. I've got some CCTV but I'll get more tomorrow, don't think there's much of a face to be seen and he wore a bicycle helmet so he was prepared/covered.

Mine is a 2013 Trek FX7.5, blue and white in colour with a bontrager front wheel and a Shimano/Mavic A319 custom-built rear (with about 30km on it, bought it last week :(). Other identifying stuff: It's got some MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals, a Cateye HL-EL620RC front light and a Cateye TL-Rapid 3 rear one, Bontrager NCS black mudguards and a small tear on the side of the nose of the saddle, also Bontrager. For all those details, I don't have an actual photo of it but the stock photo really is good enough.

IMG_1631.JPG

The other one stolen belonged to a colleague and is a Scott road bike, no other details on the model just yet but I do have a photo:

368307.png

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭RedDeadMarshal

Scott Sportster (Stolen) in the Square Shopping Centre Tallaght.

Year: 2013

Colour: Black, Blue and White.

Velo saddle, kitted out with LED lights. Syncros wheels with Schwalbe tyres. Bike stands out very much. Shimano Deore and Altus spec. Information was given to the Gardai, but i would appreciate if anyone keeps an eye around for it in Dublin. Any information would help. Bike was stolen in 7 minutes, Parked it beside a Giant bike and both of them were gone off the rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Spotted one of those Wheels delivery bikes with the box compartment in the front in Donnybrook while on the bus, shot past a few minutes later being cycled by a dodgy looking lad with a half face balaclava, I hate enough of those bike couriers to know it wasn't his bike..should I email them or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Zyzz wrote: »
    Spotted one of those Wheels delivery bikes with the box compartment in the front in Donnybrook while on the bus, shot past a few minutes later being cycled by a dodgy looking lad with a half face balaclava, I hate enough of those bike couriers to know it wasn't his bike..should I email them or something?

"a dodgy looking lad with a half face balaclava" could easily be a new courier. Back in the day, the courier companies would churn through a *lot* of cycle couriers. Taking into account your mix of old hands, who were there forever, and newbie rookies, who lasted a day, the average career span of a cycle courier was about 3 weeks to a month.

Things are a lot more static now, but you do have new people starting up.

Also, bear in mind that I wouldn't fancy my chances of getting across town on a stolen bike as conspicuous as one of those bullitt cargo bikes. You would be spotted by other couriers very quickly and they might just politely request that you dismount post haste!

If you are concerned a bike may be stolen, report it to AGS - do not post descriptions or other details here here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Cannondale Rush Carbon MTB STOLEN

My Cannondale Rush HM MTB was stolen from Southside Storage on Murphystown Road Sandyford/Stepaside. It's a carbon/aluminium full suspension bike with Fox shocks.

Same model as this: http://singletrackworld.com/files/2009/09/IMG_46909.jpg

but had XTR Tubeless wheels.

It's been missing since September - The storage facilty moved it from a locker as there was building work going on, I'm assuming one of the builders robbed it, but the storage place has no answers and is denying liability. If anyone has seen one for sale recently, or knows someone who has recently acquired one, please let me know. Gardai in Dundrum have been notified.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

spyderski wrote: »

My Cannondale Rush HM MTB was stolen from Southside Storage on Murphystown Road Sandyford/Stepaside. It's a carbon/aluminium full suspension bike with Fox shocks.

It's been missing since September - The storage facilty moved it from a locker as there was building work going on, I'm assuming one of the builders robbed it, but the storage place has no answers and is denying liability. If anyone has seen one for sale recently, or knows someone who has recently acquired one, please let me know. Gardai in Dundrum have been notified.
    What? Forget wasting time tracking downa bike thats never going to be seen again, get them to buy you a new one, get a solicitor if you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Sorry for your loss, but it sounds more like the storage company's problem than your problem. If they took it out of a locker, they are on the hook to replace it.
    http://www.southsidestorage.ie/southside-storage-faqs.php

Q. Will my goods be safe?
    A. Our facility has a 24 hour Gardaí monitored alarm system installed with coded entry. The units are off-ground metal or concrete units and each one is secured with it's own padlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Were you notified that they were moving it?
    I'd be livid with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Yeah, they told me they had to move the stuff as my locker was being removed to reconfigure the place, I figured that wherever they moved it to would be as secure as my own locker. Obviously not. The owner even remembers seeing it and commented that it was a nice bike, but is saying the builders moved it & no-one has seen it since. Apparently no CCTV there either, which I presumed any storage facility would have.....

Advertisement