Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Vahevala wrote: »
    I have 6 lbs to go to target too! ... 1/2 lb away from my 6 stone award with Slimming World, 2 lbs away from being a healthy BMI, 3 lbs to go till I have lost 8 stone in total :D

Fantastic, delighted for you!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Anyone use any good recipe sites?

I am bored senseless with all the food, nothing on the SW website or new mag is grabbing my attention.

it doesn't help that I don't eat meat or fish.

I am just fed up with it all. am struggling when i get home from work with a tired cranky toddler and OH.

Normally i am super organised with weekly menu plans, batch cooking etc. but i cant motivate myself at all

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

John Mason wrote: »
    Anyone use any good recipe sites?

I am bored senseless with all the food, nothing on the SW website or new mag is grabbing my attention.

it doesn't help that I don't eat meat or fish.

I am just fed up with it all. am struggling when i get home from work with a tired cranky toddler and OH.

Normally i am super organised with weekly menu plans, batch cooking etc. but i cant motivate myself at all

I could write this. I just can't get myself going. I'm 7.5 pounds from target and was only 3 at one point.

I can't afford to continue beyond Christmas so i need to motivate myself. I'm really struggling to get my mojo back😢😢

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I don't follow sliming world, but I have pulled a few dishes from slimingeats.com. They have calories counts on some recipes too.

The chicken fried rice is delish: it's my go to dish when I'm craving a Chinese!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

upinthesky wrote: »
    Definitely up this week, took a week off as i'd reach my target so hoping it's not too much, back to counting syns after weigh in...

Down a half,i have no idea how, still going to stay on track..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Haven't posted in a while. Down 6lb in the last fortnight. Hit my first target of 15kgs down since I joined in July. Thrilled silly as I bought a pair of size 14 jeans! Bought the countdown and have reset my target. I've still a lot to lose. However I've always been heavier / heavy boned so its crazy for me to say, I want to be ten stone. I'm aiming for a size 12 - would love to hit the 3 stone mark by Xmas. That's allowing for some nights out and excesses - I don't expect to lose major weight - esp in December so I'm down 2 stone 4.5lbs and would love to get the other 9.5lbs off by Xmas. So I think that's realistic. People are (finally) really starting to notice - only took two stone!!! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Hi, I am considering joining slimming world but I have a few issues and was wondering if anyone could help.

Firstly am a strict vegetarian. I am also allergic to nuts, coconut, seeds and very sensitive to most fruits (give me unbearable stomach cramps) and can't stand milk, mushrooms or carrots.

I have tried WW in years past and lost a little weight but generally put it back on again and found I just couldn't stick to the diets. Is this any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Witchie wrote: »
    Hi, I am considering joining slimming world but I have a few issues and was wondering if anyone could help.

Firstly am a strict vegetarian. I am also allergic to nuts, coconut, seeds and very sensitive to most fruits (give me unbearable stomach cramps) and can't stand milk, mushrooms or carrots.

I have tried WW in years past and lost a little weight but generally put it back on again and found I just couldn't stick to the diets. Is this any better?

I'm also a vegetarian and have been very successful with SW, I reached my target last week. I find SW a lot better that WW, as you can have a lot more 'free' foods. I can't imagine the foods you are allergic and also dislike would affect you with SW, if you eat plenty if veg? What fruit can you eat? What do you generally eat at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Down 1 again this week, small and constant losses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Well on SW, your 'dairy allowance' can come from cheese rather than milk.

If you can't eat fruit, you can load up on veg instead. One third of all meals should be 'speed' which is most fruit or veg.

You should be able to work around your issues with food, but you'd need to be mindful of getting enough protein into your diet, given you don't eat meat and have allergies.

For protein, you can have things like eggs, tofu, chickpeas, quorn etc. Difficult but not impossible to follow even with your own list of barred foods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Joined last week. Down 4 pounds this week. Really delighted. Feel I really need to plan more though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Blingy wrote: »
    Joined last week. Down 4 pounds this week. Really delighted. Feel I really need to plan more though!!

That's the key, planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I found an old photo of me from last year, it is shocking how awful I looked and I remember I was wearing size 24 top and size 26 jeans at the time :o I am now fitting into size 10 top and size 12 jeans. I feel so genuinely happy now.

34gx8c5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

I'm getting depressed at SW. I can't seem to get anywhere. Been there just over a year. I got my 3 stone award in August - after battling from 2.5 to 3 for months! I got a few pounds under that. Then I seemed to have bad week after bad week and had put back up about 6lbs when I had holidays and I just went doolally on my holidays and ended up gaining 11lbs - I knew I was up, my clothes all felt tight and some jeans suddenly wouldn't close - but I was expecting 7 or 8lbs. I lost 7lbs the first week back and was thrilled with that - I had stuck 100% to plan. I did the same the next week and lost 1lb and it was hovering between 1/2 and 1 for a while. This week I was the same. I had an aim to have lost the gain by end of October and then tackle the next bit on November and hope to get my 3.5 award before Christmas.
    I feel that since Easter of this year I've been battling with a lb here and a lb there and have as many gains and maintains as losses. In those 6+ months I've lost a net of about 7lbs and yes we had a busy year and lots of social occasions.
    It's not that I'm anywhere near my target - I have another 3 stone at least to lose. I'm not considering giving up and I buy 6 weeks at a time to ensure that even if I have bad weeks I more or less have to go back! But I feel very demotivated today.
    For my breakfast I have toast with some honey and a sliced banana. I follow that with an apple. I have porridge occasionally instead of toast and at weekends I might have eggs with baked beans.
    For lunch, I have leftovers from previous night. If none, I'd have soup or occasionally potato and baked beans.
    For dinner, we have chilli and rice, spag bol and pasta, chicken with pasta, roast chicken and veg and potato, steak, onions, veg and baked potato, cottage pie, chicken or beef curry with rice and at least one night some other recipe from SW book. We don't use any sauces, so all dishes are meat, onions and peppers, passata and herbs. Most evenings we cook enough to have lunch next day.
    We make soup a few nights a week, I usually have potato, leek, onion. OH usually has sweet potato and leek. I would use the soup as a snack when I get in the door starving.
    For snacks I have fruit, apples, plums, kiwi, oranges and a yoghurt. If I'm having a particularly hungry day I make SW chips.

I use my syns on the honey in the morning and the yoghurt for a snack and on a little oil in the cooking and sometimes on oatcakes. I don't use all my syns every day.
    I drink a lot of water every day and I drink mostly herbal teas but would have a cup of tea with a dash of milk at night. At the weekend with breakfast I would probably get through a pot of tea. I know that I don't always use my HEA. I use very little milk if I haven't porridge for breakfast. I love cheese but it's a food I find difficult to control so I tend not to have it in house too often - I do eat the LowLow one with oatcakes now and again.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I do think I've got stuck a little in a rut!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

m'lady wrote: »
    I'm also a vegetarian and have been very successful with SW, I reached my target last week. I find SW a lot better that WW, as you can have a lot more 'free' foods. I can't imagine the foods you are allergic and also dislike would affect you with SW, if you eat plenty if veg? What fruit can you eat? What do you generally eat at the moment?

I do eat plenty of veg so hopefully it will be ok.

Fruit wise, I can eat a little bit of melon, pineapple and maybe about 5 to 6 strawberries without upsetting my stomach. I can eat bananas but am not really fond of them. I can eat cherries and love them but they are so bloody expensive!

I eat mostly carbs at the moment unfortunately which is why I need to change things. I find it hard to get full unless I eat starchy stuff.

Someone else mentioned protein. I do try to make sure I have some with at least one of my meals a day but usually with every meal. For example, I had 2 quorn sausages, some baked beans, a fried egg and 2 pieces of toast for my brunch there.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

spur wrote: »
    I'm getting depressed at SW. I can't seem to get anywhere. Been there just over a year. I got my 3 stone award in August - after battling from 2.5 to 3 for months! I got a few pounds under that. Then I seemed to have bad week after bad week and had put back up about 6lbs when I had holidays and I just went doolally on my holidays and ended up gaining 11lbs - I knew I was up, my clothes all felt tight and some jeans suddenly wouldn't close - but I was expecting 7 or 8lbs. I lost 7lbs the first week back and was thrilled with that - I had stuck 100% to plan. I did the same the next week and lost 1lb and it was hovering between 1/2 and 1 for a while. This week I was the same. I had an aim to have lost the gain by end of October and then tackle the next bit on November and hope to get my 3.5 award before Christmas.
    I feel that since Easter of this year I've been battling with a lb here and a lb there and have as many gains and maintains as losses. In those 6+ months I've lost a net of about 7lbs and yes we had a busy year and lots of social occasions.
    It's not that I'm anywhere near my target - I have another 3 stone at least to lose. I'm not considering giving up and I buy 6 weeks at a time to ensure that even if I have bad weeks I more or less have to go back! But I feel very demotivated today.
    For my breakfast I have toast with some honey and a sliced banana. I follow that with an apple. I have porridge occasionally instead of toast and at weekends I might have eggs with baked beans.
    For lunch, I have leftovers from previous night. If none, I'd have soup or occasionally potato and baked beans.
    For dinner, we have chilli and rice, spag bol and pasta, chicken with pasta, roast chicken and veg and potato, steak, onions, veg and baked potato, cottage pie, chicken or beef curry with rice and at least one night some other recipe from SW book. We don't use any sauces, so all dishes are meat, onions and peppers, passata and herbs. Most evenings we cook enough to have lunch next day.
    We make soup a few nights a week, I usually have potato, leek, onion. OH usually has sweet potato and leek. I would use the soup as a snack when I get in the door starving.
    For snacks I have fruit, apples, plums, kiwi, oranges and a yoghurt. If I'm having a particularly hungry day I make SW chips.

I use my syns on the honey in the morning and the yoghurt for a snack and on a little oil in the cooking and sometimes on oatcakes. I don't use all my syns every day.
    I drink a lot of water every day and I drink mostly herbal teas but would have a cup of tea with a dash of milk at night. At the weekend with breakfast I would probably get through a pot of tea. I know that I don't always use my HEA. I use very little milk if I haven't porridge for breakfast. I love cheese but it's a food I find difficult to control so I tend not to have it in house too often - I do eat the LowLow one with oatcakes now and again.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I do think I've got stuck a little in a rut!

When you have spag bol or chilli and rice are you cooking extra veg to have your one third speed on your plate? When I have those dishes I always make some carrots and mangetout to have on the side.
    Also I think it might be worth having more syns, people in my group say they seem to lose less when they try and cut down on their syns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

@spur, if I'm reading your post right you've actually lost weight or stayed the same the last few weeks? If that's the case, you're doing nothing wrong! I know you had a deadline in your head to lose X weight by X time but that often backfires and then we lose motivation. Really, you have all the time in the world to lose the rest of it. The trick is to just plod along, every week whether you lose 3lb or nothing. It all chips away eventually and you're still in a better position than if you'd done nothing. Keep at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

@sparkles Good point on spag bol, chilli etc. I have been counting the peppers, onions, passata as the 1/3, but I love veg so no stress on me to eat an extra portion. I have heard people say that about syns as well. I have to come up with a plan for what I can use my syns on - I can't really use them on chocolate or biscuits as I couldn't stop!

@dolbert - thanks! I think I needed to hear that from someone else! Part of what happened me earlier this year is I fitted on loads of clothes that hadn't seen the light in years - and lots of them fitted, so I got complacent and felt good in myself and looked forward to geting dressed up and going out. All good, but I had forgotten that until you reminded me how I am in a better position!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I rejoined last week in a new group. I have done slimming world before with great results but put it back on and disliked the previous group leader.

I'm so happy with the new group, the leader is fantastic! Such a great personality, very nervous for weigh in tomorrow, I've been so good all week I will be so disappointed if I don't have a good starter loss to get me motivated.

I want to lose 2 stone altogether for my wedding next year :)

So I was up the half pound I had lost last week. No more messing now, no more losing the run of myself just because it's the weekend and picking just because it's cold/I'm bored, that's what tea is for! 9 weigh ins left to Christmas and 9lb off by then would be just super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I missed my weigh in today! Was sick last night and still feeling delicate this morning so couldn't face the thought of a warm, airless room and the smells of various foods (taster day), feeling ok now though so all systems go for this week!
    Weighed on my own scales out of curiosity and looks like I've maintained so happy days.

Best of luck michellie, finding the right group is key, I was the same, I moved groups and am so much happier where I am now.

Weigh in day today... so desperate to get this 6 stone award tonight :eek:

Best of luck michellie, finding the right group is key, I was the same, I moved groups and am so much happier where I am now.

Weigh in day today... so desperate to get this 6 stone award tonight :eek:

Good luck at your weigh in Vahevala, I'm sending positive vibes your way!

I agree with you in relation to finding the right meeting, I went to 2 different ones before my current one and never 'felt it' and gave up within 2 weeks, the meeting I go to now is fantastic.

Thank you :)

One of my worst habits is not wanting to eat on weigh in days.. I don't weigh in till 5.30pm, it is like I am almost afraid to eat for fear of it affecting the scales..

Silly really :pac:

Thank you :)

One of my worst habits is not wanting to eat on weigh in days.. I don't weigh in till 5.30pm, it is like I am almost afraid to eat for fear of it affecting the scales..

Silly really :pac:

I'm the exact same, I'll have a couple of coffees in the morning and then that's it till after weigh in, and mine is at 7.30pm! It's a silly habit to be in, and I'm going to try and snap out of it when I reach target! I do be absolutely starving all day but then the hunger goes off me by the time I can eat- ridiculous!

Ah here, that's crazy. I've heard of people not eating their evening meal until after but starving all day is not a good territory to be in. I always have a light dinner beforehand so I'm not tempted to get McDs after! The difference it makes is miniscule, and once you take the initial hit it'll all even out the next week.

Dolbert wrote: »
    Ah here, that's crazy. I've heard of people not eating their evening meal until after but starving all day is not a good territory to be in. I always have a light dinner beforehand so I'm not tempted to get McDs after! The difference it makes is miniscule, and once you take the initial hit it'll all even out the next week.

I totally agree, I'm definitely going to take the hit over the next week or two, it's ridiculous!

I eat my normal breakfast, piece of fruit mid morning and then a very light lunch and then nothing till I get home (around 8pm) and try to not drink too much either lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

People at my group (7:30pm) starve themselves all day too. Makes me feel like an absolute savage, I seriously wouldn't be able to operate with at least 2 meals and 2 snacks into me by 7:30pm! :o

Weigh in for me too today. Had eggs and bacon for breakfast with asparagus...for speed! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

And i thought I was bad by refusing to eat breakfast before I weigh in at 9.30! I could never last til 7.30 in the evening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement