Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Anti-male” activist faces court in UK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

buried wrote: »
    You all know who I mean

The tool who said something about sending the navy out and shooting the Syrian refugees? Yeah, I know who you mean, won't say her name incase it accidentally summons her like Candyman or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Before you feel too sorry for her:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQiwpvPWwAEHsnx.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQiwqlXWEAAXWch.jpg

But should she go to prison? No

Ha, So not exactly a none violent person. Uses a lot of ahem language that could incite followers. Made her own bed by the looks of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Comes across as a bit of a scumbag there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Sounds more like she needs a psychiatrist than a prison sentence.

I'm gonna duck out of this, so I'll just leave you guys with this...

Trigger Warning: Don't worry, Frank hasn't literally advocated killing your neighbors, phoning in a bomb threat to get out of class, or anything else... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

She sounds like she has psychiatric problems tbh. Perhaps some kind of narcissistic disorder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Very Bored wrote: »
    Its not the point though. She's a buffoon, true, but she could well be a dangerous buffoon. If she was to attack (or worse) one single white man and the courts hadn't done anything then everybody would be asking why.

Let's be realistic here, she isn't going to be attacking anyone nor are her witterings going to inspire any actual violence. I'd file her more under "annoying idiot" than "dangerous demagogue". She's a harmless, cloistered fool with a small following of harmless, cloistered fools.

Jailing her would be excessive and unnecessary. Expulsion seems about right for her appalling behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

Amirani wrote: »
    Freedom of speech doesn't extend to incitement to hatred.

Yes it does.

Do you really not see the Irony in you're statement?

Yes it does.

Do you really not see the Irony in you're statement?

The UK does not have Protected free speech try again.

DeadHand wrote: »
    Let's be realistic here, she isn't going to be attacking anyone nor are her witterings going to inspire any actual violence. I'd file her more under "annoying idiot" than "dangerous demagogue". She's a harmless, cloistered fool with a small following of harmless, cloistered fools.

Jailing her would be excessive and unnecessary. Expulsion seems about right for her appalling behaviour.

I'm not saying send her to prison but the authorities should be watching her. Every violent criminal is a harmless, cloistered fool until they do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm gonna duck out of this, so I'll just leave you guys with this.

Bit late, damage done

The UK does not have Protected free speech try again.

I know, and they should! Whatever she said she should not go to jail.

Bit late, damage done
    You're right, I could've spent this time gaming. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Britain's laws regarding social media are ridiculous and I'm glad we don't have them here. There must hundreds if not thousands of violations of this on twitter in the UK everyday, and this allows the police to selectively enforce the rules on certain targets only. Previously it seems to have been people trolling rape victims, or other unfortunates, or at least that's what I've seen reported. But you can't demand rules on others' speech and then be surprised when it comes back to bite you.

Who wants her to go to jail ? Seems here previous twitter rants have come back to haunt her and this complaint was taken seriously off the back of stupid comments previously. Seems fairly cut and dry. Big fine smack on the wrists soon sort our people like this that seem to think they can spout nonsense. Especially having a job like she did.

I await her supporters now dropping out on the backs of her coming off as a scumbag judging by her previous comments and alike.

But the initial question was not whether or not she should go to jail, it was whether she should be summonsed to court. The court has numerous ways of dealing with any offence should she be proven guilty of anything in the first place.

Who wants her to go to jail ? Seems here previous twitter rants have come back to haunt her and this complaint was taken seriously off the back of stupid comments previously. Seems fairly cut and dry. Big fine smack on the wrists soon sort our people like this that seem to think they can spout nonsense. Especially having a job like she did.

I await her supporters now dropping out on the backs of her coming off as a scumbag judging by her previous comments and alike.

She will blame the patriarchy! No doubt :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

She should be issued an ASBO in my opinion. It's a minor slap on the wrist for being a douche

Threatening/supporting violence toward Tories is a much more credible threat than #KillAllWhiteMen, that's the one police should speak to her about tbh!

She's clearly mental* and should never have been allowed keep her role as a Student Union officer but her being a dickhead isn't really grounds for bringing her to court. Maybe there's more to the story than just #KillAllWhiteMen because I find it hard to reconcile a satirical hashtag with being genuine hate speech and incitement to racism.

*oops, please forgive my ableism, I'm off to check my privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

DeadHand wrote: »

Having said that, her university needs to act. There is absolutely no way she should be allowed to continue as a welfare and diversity officer with an insane attitude like that no matter how irrelevant the position. There are grounds for expulsion here.
    There has been a thread about her before.

The university can't do anything about her position in the union as it is independently run. There was a petition about removing her as diversity officer, but it didn't get enough signatures to actually trigger a vote.

I'm not sure about expulsion as a student though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

She looks pretty white to me...anyway I hope she gets sent down, will wipe that smug look off her face.

cantdecide wrote: »
    She should be issued an ASBO in my opinion. It's a minor slap on the wrist for being a douche

Thought they were only for kids?

Also, they're a badge of honour in some parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Britain's laws regarding social media are ridiculous and I'm glad we don't have them here. There must hundreds if not thousands of violations of this on twitter in the UK everyday, and this allows the police to selectively enforce the rules on certain targets only. Previously it seems to have been people trolling rape victims, or other unfortunates, or at least that's what I've seen reported. But you can't demand rules on others' speech and then be surprised when it comes back to bite you.

this +100
    You can't support these types of law as some of the posters that are arguing against it do but rejecting them as soon as soon as its applied to a group that they consider "privileged" stinks of double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 adamshare01

Well, if you publish a statement like that, it's more than reasonable for the police and judiciary to dig around to see whether or not you're serious, and that may mean a day in court.

She should relax, maybe do a spot of baking or ironing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

strelok wrote: »
    she's a ****ing see you next friday but she shouldn't face any criminal charges over it, kill all men is just a way for feminists to let their hair down and tell the world what they really think, it's very rarely an actual call to arms.

A synf? Or maybe a cunf? I think you got it wrong dude.

I'd be less concerned about those who use social media to target one person, like the trolling rape victims stuff. But such any empty, pointless threat like "kill all left handers/brunettes/white men"...I just it doesn't convey any immediate threat, more hysteria. A court appearance is a waste of time and effort and will give her campaign an airing it doesn't deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Links234 wrote: »
    You're right, I could've spent this time gaming. :(

I'd presume your gaming choices are very limited given the inherent white male bigotry and racism that frames much of modern game design.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Two minds about it tbh. On the one hand, I hate to see anything which would fuel her persecution complex, she's enough of a martyr as it is.

On the other hand, I'd like to see her being made an example of to others so that they begin to realise that their words do actually have an effect on other people, and what one person may construe as the inoffensive and inane ramblings of a tumblr warrior, or a person who gets their jollies from insulting other people or encouraging other people to insult other people...

Someone else who is the target of such communications may actually take them seriously. We can tell them to get some perspective, but the more hateful crap I'm seeing posted online, I'm beginning to wonder - who really needs to get some perspective here, and why should anyone find this behaviour and these attitudes acceptable, and why should it be allowed to continue?

Make an example of them until people start getting the message that it's really not acceptable to attempt to humiliate and denigrate other people online.

"Don't be a dick" has never gone out of style, even though it may not be all that fashionable nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I'd be less concerned about those who use social media to target one person, like the trolling rape victims stuff. But such any empty, pointless threat like "kill all left handers/brunettes/white men"...I just it doesn't convey any immediate threat, more hysteria. A court appearance is a waste of time and effort and will give her campaign an airing it doesn't deserve.

I'm more concerned about the ability to charge people for what they say on social media. By all means have it is a civil offence, but a criminal offence is way too much. And as I said earlier, it gives the police pretext to go after certain targets only. There must be thousands of people they're choosing not to prosecute, whether that's hateful bigots like this woman, or trolls who get their kicks going after the vulnerable.

Advertisement