Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian O'Doherty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Menas wrote: »
    There was an Iain O'Doherty in my class in school...he as all right like, but he left early to work in a pig factory and was illiterate. Dont think it is the same fella.

Sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thomas998 wrote: »
    If I was assuming, I would make the assumption that his LGBT comments stung you, since you're a moderator of that forum and likely closely linked with the movement, and that your opinion of I'OD is somewhat compromised by this. But I am only assuming.

That's just the type of tactic IOD uses quite often - accuse people with differing views of being emotional, shrill and hysterical etc etc etc. It's quite an interesting tactic in that it doesn't deal with the substantive issues and it can often be subtly (and sometimes not so subtle) about shaming and dehumanising people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That's just the type of tactic IOD uses quite often - accuse people with differing views of being emotional, shrill and hysterical etc etc etc. It's quite an interesting tactic in that it doesn't deal with the substantive issues and it can often be subtly (and sometimes not so subtle) about shaming and dehumanising people.

Dehumanising? Gotta say, that's pretty shrill and hysterical language there man

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thomas998

I am not sure how suggesting that your view of IOD may be biased due to his views on a group you clearly feel a part of would "shame and dehumanise" you, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dehumanising? Gotta say, that's pretty shrill and hysterical language there man

Not at all

It's a tactic often used by IOD

See the example above about addicts

He describes addicts as; feral scum who probably shouldn't even be called women.

A glaring example of the dehumanisation tactics that he uses

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Undermining your own point there by being hysterical.

Shaming and dehumanising? Get over yourself.

We could do with a few more journalists like IOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

He has no affinity with the new politically correct way of seeing the world. When i read one of his pieces he is basically echoing what i hear from people i meet when i'm out and about. Granted he is never going to be the darling of student union types or dare i say it your average boards.ie poster.

Btw I just don't know were all these lefties reside because i meet very little of them in everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And of course, he's the logical, rational one. He'd be the sort to complain about that photo of Aylan Kurdi's body being "emotionally manipulative".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

He's just the flipside too the various Guardian, Independent (uk) and Huffington post writers, you'l not see those getting annoyed with I'OD being annoyed with them and vice versa for those that like him.
    As I said before though I don't think he is smart enough to make the arguments he does in a compelling way.
    That said the way he gets a rise out of some of the people here makes me think maybe he is worthwhile ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

He's just the flipside too the various Guardian, Independent (uk) and Huffington post writers, you'l not see those getting annoyed with I'OD being annoyed with them and vice versa for those that like him.
    As I said before though I don't think he is smart enough to make the arguments he does in a compelling way.
    That said the way he gets a rise out of some of the people here makes me think maybe he is worthwhile ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Back years ago when I used to read the paper I always enjoyed his column. Even if I disagreed, which I did 50% of the time, it was always entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Martial9

Will you get off the cross. He is a contrarian, a young Myers, a shock jock. That is what he is paid to do. Just ignore his writings if they upset you so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Martial9 wrote: »
    Will you get off the cross. He is a contrarian, a young Myers, a shock jock. That is what he is paid to do. Just ignore his writings if they upset you so much.

Yep. Totally agree. He wakes up in the morning and worries about who cares he exists, and he will do anything he can to be noticed, like that sad kid in the schoolyard.

As for Joey, as usual he just wants to raise his own agenda, (YAWN!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭DeadHand

He'd be the sort to complain about that photo of Aylan Kurdi's body being "emotionally manipulative".

Because it was emotionally manipulative.

Here was a boy who was not fleeing a war zone and was killed by the illegal, economically motivated actions of his father. A dead child like the thousands of other children that died that day all over the world.

Yet, this image was held up as proof that we all should feel guilty for tragic events on a different continent that were not our fault- so guilty in fact that we should abandon our borders and bend over for a mass invasion from the third world that will tear Europe to pieces socially.

Unless you immediately wept, tore at your hipster beard and pretended you were willing to give up your parent's spare bedroom for a strange Arab you were condemned as heartless.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't know why people get so worked up that someone else has an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

He strikes me as the sort of person who would be absolutely thrilled to have a whole thread talking about him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

RobertKK wrote: »

well if the opinion isn't pro palestinian, pro sinn fein, pro refugee, pro nationalist

then some irish people get very worked up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

He condemns women for discussing their abortions

He started his piece last Saturday week about a friend of his that he'd asked to speak to about her abortion for an article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

hinault wrote: »
    he was one of the weakest students in his school year.

Folk should bear that in mind when reading the drivel he writes and the drivel he spouts.

How much do you bench, bra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

20Cent wrote: »
    How about journalists that print stories about things we don't know. Like actually investigate something. Look at the NAMA corruption story only made the news because of Jamie "fleg" Bryson and Mick Wallace. Where are our investigative reporters?
    Instead its lowest common denominator click bait like O'Doherty.

you know I like IO'd rants but i agree with you 100% on this,.
    Journalism is in the gutter at the min

too much pontificating and social commentary clickbait and not enough investigation. Nothing like getting the keyword warriors upset over abortion or gayess while nama and political skullduggery sneaks off like a ship in the night.

It's almost like we (as a people) are being purposely dumbed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

DeadHand wrote: »
    Because it was emotionally manipulative.

Here was a boy who was not fleeing a war zone and was killed by the illegal, economically motivated actions of his father. A dead child like the thousands of other children that died that day all over the world that day.

Yet, this image was held up as proof that we all should feel guilty for tragic events on a different continent that were not our fault- so guilty in fact that we should abandon our borders and bend over for a mass invasion from the third world that will tear Europe to pieces socially.

He had his teeth pulled out by Da'esh, and his father was taking him to Europe to get them replaced.
    Unless you immediately wept, tore at your hipster beard and pretended you were willing to give up your parent's spare bedroom for a strange Arab you were condemned as heartless.

I guess like your hero O'Doherty those people condemning your kind were calling it as they saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

arayess wrote: »

too much pontificating and social commentary clickbait and not enough investigation. Nothing like getting the keyword warriors upset over abortion or gayess while nama and political skullduggery sneaks off like a ship in the night.

That's isn't what's happening. We as the public get the journalism we deserve. When people fall for clickbait headlines (and they do, a lot), only post 'viral' or 'shareable' content on social media, and refuse to pay for newspapers or online subscriptions, there is a. no economic incentive for expensive, lengthy investigative journalism and b. no real need to even break stories when you can just hire graduates as unpaid interns to copy and paste from those who do. We've got to this point because people stop paying for content and have no desire to vote with their wallets for better standards.

As for IOD, he has an alternative viewpoints, attacks many sacred cows in Irish life, and provokes debate. For those reasons the Indo are getting their money's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

He had his teeth pulled out by Da'esh, and his father was taking him to Europe to get them replaced.

Not true. The Guardian said he had been living in Turkey for three years (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/03/father-drowned-boy-aylan-kurdi-return-syria?CMP=share_btn_tw) and had previously lived in Damascus, the seat of Assad's power. The story you mentioned was a meme started by this Facebook poster, who is some random Syrian blogger: https://www.facebook.com/kenanrahmani?fref=nf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

arayess wrote: »

Journalism was always in the gutter,
    just cos its times or indo, it makes no difference, they all follow their own agenda.
    Christ when I was back during the bertie reelection and his court case, i was asking people wtf are they voting him back for, he is a liar, fraud, nutjob, i won the money on the horses. making a laughing stock of you. yes you cos you are the idiots that voted him in AGAIN.
    Indo were hand in hand backing him to the hilt.

so Journalists know which side their bread is buttered on, and if they want to continue to have a career they wont rock the boat that much.

Nama one of the biggest property portfolios in the world headlined by people who spent their lives in civil service in a lil country at the arse end of europe and trying to swim with the sharks.....please!
    It was a disaster from day one.
    big fish in small ponds do not translate into big fish in big ponds. they may try but their ineptitude comes to the front very quick and get swallowed.

right back on point.... newspapers have their own agendas and you should realise that not everything is gospel what you read in the paper. read other sources even the ones you dont like..then form your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hatless wrote: »
    I think it's not his views, which he's entitled to even though I wouldn't always agree, but his approach - totally seems to be trying to get a rise.

He's the non-thinking mans Kevin Myres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

philstar wrote: »
    well if the opinion isn't pro palestinian, pro sinn fein, pro refugee, pro nationalist

then some irish people get very worked up

It is not this that bugs me about journos like IoD. Any proper journo should be able to condemn ALL wrong. It is selective if they give out about the excesses of the Provos, Hamas, ISIS, etc. while praising the excesses of Bush, Blair, Netanyahu, etc. ALL these things should be condemned but writers like IoD are spouting propaganda for the latter set of cowboys.

The other thing that bugs me about IoD is that he comes across as being a racist and a bully as well as being your typical ultra capitalist warmonger. He has adopted collective opinions for entire categories of people and does not differentiate terrorists from other members of a race or creed for example.

Opinionated atheists like him think they have all the answers. It is easy to put pen to paper. Let IoD be president of America for a week and see how he would get on. I'm sure, he'd be worse than Bush and have us in a world war in minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

kupus wrote: »
    Journalism was always in the gutter,
    just cos its times or indo, it makes no difference, they all follow their own agenda.

So-called journalism indeed is in the gutter and has been for a long, long time. It is worse now than ever. They can get away with things other professions cannot. Imagine if an Irish politician was saying the things IoD says. He'd be considered an embarrassment and a joke and would end up nowhere.

These types who are being controversial for the sake of it and who think they have a godgiven right to offend and then go out and try deliberately to offend everyone are the lowest of the low and don't impress me at all. They are bullies pure and simple. IoD's fascism should not be given spaces on a paper and it says a lot about Irish journalism if this gutter trash fascism is what they need to sell their rags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

RobertKK wrote: »

Same reason AH has a fit when the Guardian prints an article. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Not true. The Guardian said he had been living in Turkey for three years (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/03/father-drowned-boy-aylan-kurdi-return-syria?CMP=share_btn_tw) and had previously lived in Damascus, the seat of Assad's power. The story you mentioned was a meme started by this Facebook poster, who is some random Syrian blogger: https://www.facebook.com/kenanrahmani?fref=nf

Sez who?

"According to Canadian journalist Terry Glavin, who spoke to the aunt in Vancouver, Alan's father Abdullah had been kidnapped during the Islamic State siege Kobane earlier this year and had all of his teeth pulled out. "

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34142695

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

He always comes across to me like some coked off his tits southside spoon you'd meet in the kitchen of some party you have no idea how you wound up at.

Northsider infers southsiders are spoons!

I did no such thing.

Correct. The writer implies, the reader infers.

Advertisement