Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian O'Doherty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

20Cent wrote: »
    Dislike what O'Doherty writes, not because he's "right wing" or a "libertarian" but because it's badly written and badly researched.

Same here. He is always spouting poorly researched and very biased opinions. With regard to being 'right wing', that is a vague description. There are good and evil right wing people and some are moderate and rational and some hardline and irrational. Same with 'left wing'. I think IoD gives 'libertarianism' a bad name. Then he goes on about 'the right to offend' and thinks this is the ONLY aspect of free speech. Who the hell does he think he is? Tommy Tiernan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If he worked on his writing skills, he'd fit in quite well on After Hours, with the "what's the most obnoxious opinion I could possibly express right now?" brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

People who have different views than me, and express them in an arrogant manner, are obviously doing so just for the money. I mean imagine, someone actually not sharing my opinion on a topic! Madness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Did he have a go at boards once in one of his articles or was that someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Did he have a go at boards once in one of his articles or was that someone else?

He quoted part of a post I made about occupy Wall Street in his column once, selecting the bits to make his point ignoring the others that went against it. Total spoofer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,986 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Unfortunately mainstream modern media likes trollery dressed up as journalism now more than ever. It's clickbait. The more outrageous it is the more clicks it gets. Editors love more clicks cause it means they can claim higher readership to advertisers. It's disgusting, gutter "journalism" and particularly revels in attacking minorities or vulnerable people. It does need to continuously be challenged in various ways though whether that be pointing out the flawed arguments or using the weak press complaints mechanisms. Myers and O'Doherty have both been pulled up on their extreme hate speech rhetoric by the Press regulators.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Unfortunately mainstream modern media likes trollery dressed up as journalism now more than ever. It's clickbait. The more outrageous it is the more clicks it gets. Editors love more clicks cause it means they can claim higher readership to advertisers. It's disgusting, gutter "journalism" and particularly revels in attacking minorities or vulnerable people. It does need to continuously be challenged in various ways though whether that be pointing out the flawed arguments or using the weak press complaints mechanisms. Myers and O'Doherty have both been pulled up on their extreme hate speech rhetoric by the Press regulators.
    What so you would prefer I fully liberal left/Irish times style journalism? We need more journalists like Myers & O'Doherty to give alternative opinions on what's presented in the media, it might not tie in with your view of the world but we live in a western democracy at the moment where free speech is still allowed!

How about journalists that print stories about things we don't know. Like actually investigate something. Look at the NAMA corruption story only made the news because of Jamie "fleg" Bryson and Mick Wallace. Where are our investigative reporters?
    Instead its lowest common denominator click bait like O'Doherty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Clickbait now seems to equal: 'opinion pieces that I don't agree with'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"Factually incorrect opinion pieces"

• Advertisement

Click bait
    (on the Internet) content, especially that of a sensational or provocative nature, whose main purpose is to attract attention and draw visitors to a particular web page.

Take a look at the independent app it's at least 50% "what this gay blind dog did next will change your opinion of humanity" type stories.

*slight exaggeration but not far off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

I like him. The Twitter bullies hate him. You know the sort. He's also hated on Rabble and Broadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Menas wrote: »
    There was an Iain O'Doherty in my class in school...he as all right like, but he left early to work in a pig factory and was illiterate. Dont think it is the same fella.

Jasus, I thought pigs grew from piglets. Didn't realise that they're factory made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Jasus, I thought pigs grew from piglets. Didn't realise that they're factory made

The less we all know about how pork gets to our plate the better.

20Cent wrote: »
    Click bait (on the Internet) content, especially that of a sensational or provocative nature, whose main purpose is to attract attention and draw visitors to a particular web page.

Take a look at the independent app it's at least 50% "what this gay blind dog did next will change your opinion of humanity" type stories.

*slight exaggeration but not far off.

Eh, I never said clickbait doesn't exist. I am disputing the notion that IoD's articles should be dismissed off as being such.

I don't him writing too many 'gay blind dog' articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I don't know the chap, but if I ever meet him down a darkened lane, well he better watch out like.

I agree, if it's dark you might bump into each other. Good to pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

The man was not a star pupil at Templeogue College.In fact he was one of the weakest students in his school year.

Folk should bear that in mind when reading the drivel he writes and the drivel he spouts.

What so you would prefer I fully liberal left/Irish times style journalism? We need more journalists like Myers & O'Doherty to give alternative opinions on what's presented in the media, it might not tie in with your view of the world but we live in a western democracy at the moment where free speech is still allowed!

No

I am saying O'Dohertys "journalism" is quite often nasty scurrilous attacks on minorities and that these should be challenged because in many cases they are lazy and untrue and in some cases they are clear hate speech. Challenging them through counter speech is part of free speech. Free speech cannot of course protect all speech because hate speech is illegal under Irish and European laws. When it strays too far into hate speech like O'Doherty did with Roma and Myers did with AIDS then it is necessary for press regulation and indeed probably even prosecutory authorities to intervene.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thomas998

I just find it incredibly hard to believe that people actually disagree with many things that he says.

He condemns the fact that Saudi Arabia can have the audacity to lecture Ireland on human rights when its own record is so remarkably poor in comparison.

He condemns how Ayaan Hirsi Ali, someone who speaks the truth, was subjected to a moderator at a debate in Ireland, while Anjem Choudhary, someone who supports the death of homosexuals, was allowed to speak freely.

He condemns how Saudi Arabia offer no aid to Europe to house migrants, but offers money to build mosques in Europe for them instead.

He condemns the attempt by Ali Selim to ban percussion instruments in primary schools because it offends Muslims.

He condemns how Saudi Arabia, among other countries, marched in the Charlie Hebdo parade while it lashed Raif Badawi for the temerity to criticise the regime.

Are there any of these that you would not also condemn? Because they all seem pretty black and white to me. And if you can't condemn these, then you can't simply dismiss O'Doherty as a lunatic bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If anybody wants to see just how truly woeful a writer and argument-builder he is, just read this:

http://www.citywide.ie/download/pdf/sterilising_junkies_may_seem_harsh_18_feb_2011_2.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

osarusan wrote: »
    If anybody wants to see just how truly woeful a writer and argument-builder he is, just read this:

http://www.citywide.ie/download/pdf/sterilising_junkies_may_seem_harsh_18_feb_2011_2.pdf

Why nothing at all wrong with what he is saying, junkie scum should be sterilised. Obviously you and Nodin haven't spent any time in Dublin city centre!

Thomas998 wrote: »
    I just find it incredibly hard to believe that people actually disagree with many things that he says.

He condemns the fact that Saudi Arabia can have the audacity to lecture Ireland on human rights when its own record is so remarkably poor in comparison.

He condemns how Ayaan Hirsi Ali, someone who speaks the truth, was subjected to a moderator at a debate in Ireland, while Anjem Choudhary, someone who supports the death of homosexuals, was allowed to speak freely.

He condemns how Saudi Arabia offer no aid to Europe to house migrants, but offers money to build mosques in Europe for them instead.

He condemns the attempt by Ali Selim to ban percussion instruments in primary schools because it offends Muslims.

He condemns how Saudi Arabia, among other countries, marched in the Charlie Hebdo parade while it lashed Raif Badawi for the temerity to criticise the regime.

Are there any of these that you would not also condemn? Because they all seem pretty black and white to me. And if you can't condemn these, then you can't simply dismiss O'Doherty as a lunatic bigot.

He condemns women for discussing their abortions

He condemns Irish people who show compassion towards refugees

He condemns people with an uncontrollable disease

He condemns positive campaigns as shrill and hysterical

He condemns Irish people, gay people, trans people, drug addicts, women, men, people with disabilities, human rights organisations, travellers, roma, refugees, politicians, muslims, catholics, pro life people, pro choice people, people who use twitter etc etc etc etc etc etc

All he ever does is whinge, attack and condemn

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

He condemns Irish people, gay people, trans people, drug addicts, women, men, people with disabilities, human rights organisations, travellers, roma, refugees, politicians, muslims, catholics, pro life people, pro choice people, people who use twitter etc etc etc etc etc etc

And let's not forget

O'Doherty believes anti-discrimination laws should be removed. Commenting on newstalk he said "the equality laws should be scrapped". [20]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think he wondered why they needed to be proud of their abortion rather than why they needed to discuss it.Which was fair enough as frankly anyone who is proud of having an abortion is a bit insane if you ask me.There is a middle ground between pride and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

He write,s opinion pieces on what he thinks is funny,
    or annoying , he,s anti political correctness .
    Everything should be up for debate or criticism.
    And he s very funny.
    Saudia arabia is a very repressive country,
    it sends people to jail who speak out and support human rights and free speech.
    WE need more writers like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I wonder has anyone sent him a link to this thread yet.

"Hi Ian!"

So he holds pro-life views. This is a common view in Ireland.

He makes the point that Europe cannot take in the population of the Middle East. If we take in millions of refugees, millions more will arrive within a month. There simply isn't room. Again, in cold logic, this is patently true.

I do not have a solution to the migrant crisis myself, but I still know that the proposed solution won't work.

What disease are you talking about here?

Do you mean the campaign for gay marriage? He voted Yes. He also made the point that while he voted Yes, some of the behaviour of the Yes side was shameful, such as decrying anyone who voted No as a bigot and a homophobe, and defacing or destroying No posters. Which I would agree with.

You are free to believe that the above about the No side is true, but that would mean that you believe ~40% of Irish people are bigots and homophobes. Do you?

A lot of these are blanket accusations - it must be difficult to condemn both men and women. Unless you have a specific quarrel with a specific condemnation, this doesn't hold much water.

If I was assuming, I would make the assumption that his LGBT comments stung you, since you're a moderator of that forum and likely closely linked with the movement, and that your opinion of I'OD is somewhat compromised by this. But I am only assuming.

I would like to repeat my hope that our differing opinions here don't cause vitriol to be spouted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

The male Julie Burchill..

• Advertisement

Don't think I have ever seen as much misrepresentation in a single post. Kudos.

Advertisement