Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd attempt most things but I couldn't justify DIYing brakes.

Wheels look really good btw. Cleaning substance or lots of elbow grease?

Its quite simple really. And also depends on what you do. Just replacing pads is easy enough and can be tackled by anyone who is capable of an oil change. Replacing discs is not much more difficult. And before you know it, you'll be stripping down calipers and bleeding brake lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nothing easy about replacing discs when they have a seized locating screw :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I must be one of the few who never had this issue (with discs anyway).

touch_wood_01.jpg

Although I spent a tenner in Lidl on the best thing ever to sort out seized nuts/bolts. Works 99% of the time :D

Patww79 wrote: »

Happened to me on one side last time I did pads on the car (3 months ago). I was more pissed off that I had to jack up the car and take the wheel off again. Like anything else on a car, if you have extra parts in the end don't drive it.

• Advertisement

I've gotten clips wrong before, usually evident by squealing, grinding and things not feeling right. You will notice on the test drive. I've only lost brakes once, if that ever happens, remember one thing: keep pumping that pedal, you'll get something eventually and if not, the handbrake usually works. The most useful tool is always the test drive.
    Top Tip:
    Take lots of pictures along the way, they will help when putting it back together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Preaching to the choir.
    A seized bolt turned a 2 hour quick job into a 6 hour nightmare.
    Mr Goodman seems to have found a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Preaching to the choir.

I prefer this Mr. Goodman's solution:

goodman.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Right guys need some help after breaking an interior light on my car its an a4

Have thelight number tried ordering off main dealer waste of time just looking for some help sourcing it im sure somebdy on here know what its called:D

If anyone can advise me on a website etc where i can get it twud be great

• Advertisement

I prefer this Mr. Goodman's solution:

goodman.jpg
    Preaching to the choir.

Join me!

latest?cb=20121208182927

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Upgraded my spare wheel tonight from this:

20150926_005921_zpstmnmazdc.jpg

To this:

20150926_004939_zpsmvz9fhi8.jpg

€60 for a fully Refurbed wheel with a brand new Sport IV (I think a Hankook, no brand on it) 255/40 tyre with a Center Cap and M Sticker and all!

Beats that Triangle any day...

Beats that Triangle any day...

Yep! Luckily I've never had to use the spare, that one came with the car and was the first time it came out of it since I got it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Your rear tailight is blown rhs iirc.

ofcork wrote: »
    Your rear tailight is blown rhs iirc.

It appears the whole world knows these days :pac:

I have two new clusters that are supposed to be on the way from Galway, hopefully should be here Monday/Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

21608717770_3536f24596_o.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You put down the handbrake? Fair play to you son!!

You put down the handbrake? Fair play to you son!!

Can you spot another difference?

GvidoR wrote:
    Can you spot another difference?

You went fiddle dey doo with the air bag light too?

• Advertisement

You went fiddle dey doo with the air bag light too?

That's one way to put it. :P

GvidoR wrote:
    That's one way to put it.

How'd ya manage to do it? Knock it off with the computer?

How'd ya manage to do it? Knock it off with the computer?

Got a mate to hook up his fancy touch screen scanner and clear the codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

GvidoR wrote: »

Did you figure out what the codes were/why they were there before clearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Another crackpot theory I have is that the handbrake is off in the second photo. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

You drove 2 miles and look at the difference in fuel! :pac:

21608717770_3536f24596_o.png

Looks-Shopped-Tell-By-Pixels.jpg

cletus wrote: »
    Did you figure out what the codes were/why they were there before clearing?

It said something about the squib so it had probably had something to do with the connection there but after the light came on I took the airbag off and reconnected it so it should be fine.
    You drove 2 miles and look at the difference in fuel! :pac:

City driving yo. :P

I was at location A in the first photo, removed the light at location B and took the photo at location C. It could be the angle of the photo but sometimes after stopping and starting it seems the needle goes slightly lower than it was before and then slightly creeps up as you're driving.

EDIT: Took out the air filter and cleaned it out with an air compressor. Good bit of dust came out. I should get a new one, they're cheap enough, but at least for now it's a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

/img

Is there no tachometer or coolant temperature gauge. The lack of both would annoy me I though the puntos had them but then I've never been in one so could well be wrong. Whatever about the tachometer the lack of coolant temp gauge I think is stupid and it's missing from a few yokes caddys and Astra H's are the two that popped to my mind. My Astra didn't have one and I was never mad about the idea they are supposed to have a high temperature warning light but I'm not sure if you could depend on that. My megane has a stupid digital gauge which isn't precise enough display wise for my liking better than nothing I suppose.

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »
    Is there no tachometer or coolant temperature gauge. The lack of both would annoy me I though the puntos had them but then I've never been in one so could well be wrong. Whatever about the tachometer the lack of coolant temp gauge I think is stupid and it's missing from a few yokes caddys and Astra H's are the two that popped to my mind. My Astra didn't have one and I was never mad about the idea they are supposed to have a high temperature warning light but I'm not sure if you could depend on that. My megane has a stupid digital gauge which isn't precise enough display wise for my liking better than nothing I suppose.

Punto Sporting (1.2 16V) cluster has a both, a tacho and a temp gauge. Tacho is not that important but the temp gauge would've been nice, but as long as you keep an eye on the coolant it should be okay.

Advertisement