Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

First one is just a google image of the Mac blusher but the second pic is the one I bought today, please excuse my crappy nail varnish job!

Its lovely on. My pic doesnt do it any justice but it is a very similar pinky colour to the Mac one.

I havent the funds at the moment to buy more bits and pieces but il definitely be back in to try out some of their eyeshadows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Has anybody ever heard of or tried Flormar Cosmetics?
    My local chemist has only started to stock these yesterday and I was having a look today.
    Bought one of their 'Teracotta Blushers' as it looked very like a Mac blusher.
    This is their website http://www.flormar.com/english/makeup.asp?markaid=13&bolumid=11

Heard that they are supposed to be good, never tried them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

Umekichi wrote: »
    Heard that they are supposed to be good, never tried them though.

I have the blush on now, its lovely. Delighted with that purchase. :)

Ive never heard of the brand before so I dont know if they are popular already or not. But I feel like I want to rush in and buy stuff before it sells out because when people hear a cheapish product is good, it sells out so fast and can be difficult to get. Like NYX for example

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

deise_girl wrote: »
    Just ordered the Boots No 7 Illuminated Mirror for €17.49 and a student discount on top of that :D So excited to get it now!!
    http://www.boots.ie/en/No7-Illuminated-Make-up-Mirror-Exclusive-to-Boots_1527178/

Also got a couple Revlon Lip Butters for €6 online each (plus student discount again)
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Revlon-ColorBurst%C2%99-Lip-Butter_1252852/
    Really gonna have to prawl the boots website more often, there seems to be great discounts on it!

Do Boots do student discount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

sassyj wrote: »
    Do Boots do student discount?

They do if you have a Student Travelcard :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Speaking of boots, has anyone noticed that they don't ask you if you want to use your points anymore? With the last year ish everytime I've gone to the till I've had to ask if I had points to use and twice I've had over €25 worth of points. They definitely used ask before! Maybe it's just the boots I've been going to Recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Speaking of boots, has anyone noticed that they don't ask you if you want to use your points anymore? With the last year ish everytime I've gone to the till I've had to ask if I had points to use and twice I've had over €25 worth of points. They definitely used ask before! Maybe it's just the boots I've been going to Recently?

I always get asked do I want to spend them and usually get a surprised look when I say no :) I like saving them up for some goodies and pressies at Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'm always asked if I would like to use them! I generally decline though unless I'm limping towards payday :pac:

I like saving them up for around Christmas and the New Year as inevitably, half my make-up runs out at a time when I'm spending all my spare cash on presents for other people. Very handy to have €40 - €50 to cover my make-up and skincare at times like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Went to Superdrug at lunch and picked up:

Makeup Rev - mono eyeshadow in FINALLY
    Makeup Rev - pressed powder in porcelain
    MUA - pressed powwder in shade 1

A total of €5.25 spent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

GlamGlow Thirsty Mud

10951263-1398842874-273019.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Picked up a bottle of Jo Malone "Pomegranate Noir" for my Mam's birthday.
    I know she smelled it recently and fell in love with it.

It felt luxurious being in Brown Thomas buying something!
    I have a bottle of "Nutmeg & Ginger" myself, but I think I'll be treating myself to PN soon because it's gorgeous!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of Jo Malone "Pomegranate Noir" for my Mam's birthday.
    I know she smelled it recently and fell in love with it.

It felt luxurious being in Brown Thomas buying something!
    I have a bottle of "Nutmeg & Ginger" myself, but I think I'll be treating myself to PN soon because it's gorgeous!

I really want to treat myself to Pomegranate Noir or the Lime Basil & Mandarin, love them both so much! I'm being good and waiting until my fancy night time perfume is totally gone :rolleyes:

Twee. wrote: »
    I really want to treat myself to Pomegranate Noir or the Lime Basil & Mandarin, love them both so much! I'm being good and waiting until my fancy night time perfume is totally gone :rolleyes:

Aw isn't it lovely to treat yourself?

My Mam is so kind to everyone, buying thoughtful gifts and gorgeous things, yet she won't buy herself anything.
    I'm glad I was able to get her the Jo Malone perfume; she would admire it but never buy it for herself.

Is it sad that I felt giddy swinging the black and cream giftbag as I left Brown Thomas?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I didn't think I would because of the price tag but I caved this week and bought the Pippa palette in Cara pharmacy. The eyeshadows are actually awful, they aren't pigmented enough and they're really powdery which I absolutely hate in eye shadows. They're the type of shadow that requires so much blending because they're so powdery and so you end up removing any product you've actually put on. I just got annoyed with them and ending up covering over them with urban decay riff.

The blush is so light it's barely visible on my cheeks and Id be the same skin tone as pippa and I also applied it with the brush she recommended. The highlighter I do like, it's subtle but pretty, but it's the only thing in the palette that I like and thus for me not worth €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

anna080 wrote: »
    I didn't think I would because of the price tag but I caved this week and bought the Pippa palette in Cara pharmacy. The eyeshadows are actually awful, they aren't pigmented enough and they're really powdery which I absolutely hate in eye shadows. They're the type of shadow that requires so much blending because they're so powdery and so you end up removing any product you've actually put on. I just got annoyed with them and ending up covering over them with urban decay riff.

The blush is so light it's barely visible on my cheeks and Id be the same skin tone as pippa and I also applied it with the brush she recommended. The highlighter I do like, it's subtle but pretty, but it's the only thing in the palette that I like and thus for me not worth €35.
    I've heard a lot of complaints about this..

disapointing:mad:

Pippa O'Connor annoys me.
    She seems to have set herself up as some fashion/beauty guru. Don't know her credentials that make us all believe she's now a make-up designer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

fussyonion wrote: »
    Pippa O'Connor annoys me.
    She seems to have set herself up as some fashion/beauty guru. Don't know her credentials that make us all believe she's now a make-up designer.

Ah I like her. Maybe her make up is shíte but she has great clothes reviews including stuff we can all afford from Penny's. Susanne Jackson is the complete opposite. Had to unlike her from everything. Seems like Riverisland sponsored everything she wore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

From having bloggers in and out at work, seems that if you buy through links on bloggers pages, they get commission on everything sold. I like Pippa, and she's very down to earth too. I haven't tried her makeup palette yet, but I have my makeup brands I like and I don't tend to stray from them.

My most recent purchase was the 435 lipstick from the fallen angel range inglot. It's a bit mad, to say the least. But I love it! (Nobody else does). The only negative I have is because it's so dark you really need to line it, and they don't have a liner to use with it. It's very similar to smoked purple by mac, maybe a tad darker though and more matte. I pop it on with some duraline and a Mac lip brush and it goes on very easy. I don't think it's a lipstick that you'd be able to just run around your lips to top up on nights out though

Edit: can't find a pic on google so I'm posting my own lips. :/ it would look better on fuller lips I'm sure
    2it0y03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please stop the blogger bashing before it derails yet another thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

Got three acrylic Muji storage drawers. Really wish I'd gotten the five drawer instead!

Also got Hylamide Serum as I fancied a change from Hydraluron. Has anyone tried it?

I know its early days but one week on I prefer the hylamide serum to Hydraluron. I actually feel like its benefiting my skin, whereas could never really tell if Hydraluron did anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

One other thing I'll add bout the Pippa palette is that it's very much designed for people with fair hair and fair skin. Can't see sallow or dark skinned ladies finding it very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I know its early days but one week on I prefer the hylamide serum to Hydraluron. I actually feel like its benefiting my skin, whereas could never really tell if Hydraluron did anything.

I like it too. I put a drop of the Eucerin Hyaluron Filler serum over it and they work well together.

I'm trying out the Hylamide Sensitive Fix and Low Molecular HA boosters. It has only been a week but I can't see any additional benefits from them yet. Think I might just stick with the main Hylamide serum. It works much better for me Hydraluron, which seemed to dry my skin out no mater what moisturiser I used with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Some more makeup.

Foundation: Mac Match Master in shade 1.0

I have a really hard time finding a foundation that suits me. I'm obscenely pale, don't wear fake tan much, my neck is a warm tone and my face is a cool tone, therefore when I tend to go with Mac, their usual pink and yellow tones just don't suit me at all. And because I'm so fussy, I need a foundation that won't oxidise too much on my skin.

So, after buying pretty much every foundation Mac has to offer I decided to try this one. In terms of shades, it's a little warm for me, but that's me being fussy rather than something being wrong with the product. It's medium coverage than can look quite cakey up close so I wouldn't recommend it as a buildable foundation. It's a matte finish which I love, and the colour (1.0) suits me much more than either the nc15 or the nw10.

I find it's definitely a foundation you need with a primer, it's hard to apply with no primer.

Blush: MAC Dainty
    I'm not sure you can see it in the photo very well, but it's pretty, it's a shimmering pink and just beautiful on. That, along with peachy keen are my favourite blushes.

Contouring: Benefit Hooda
    Easy to blend, colour is good for fairer skin. Probably my favourite bronzer in a while. I had been using Mac before but this is much nicer.

Highlighter: Bobbi Brown Shimmer brick in golden
    Ugh!! For such an expensive product, I was raging when it started coming apart on me. It wasn't dropped, but the product looked like it'd been smashed 40ft onto the ground after about 2 weeks of it in my handbag. That aside, it's quite nice and very subtle.

Lipstick: MAC candy yum yum
    I love it!! I used to be very much a red lipstick girl. Way before every tom dick and Harry had it on. I'm more towards pinks and purples now. Now this ones a bit mad, not for the faint of heart anyway. It's a Matte colour, blue undertones, easy to apply for a matte. I used it with a pink pro long wear liner that I can't recall the name of. It reminds me of the pink version of Ruby Woo.

Eyebrows: anastasia Beverly Hills dip pomode in granite.
    I bought the darkest shade available of course. Upon reflection, next time I'll probably get the shade lighter than this one. Still, I love a good strong brow, and a good strong brow is exactly what this gives me. Hands down, it lives up to the hype. Less is more though because I have, on occasion ended up looking like I needed a hun bun to match with my eyebrows that I've only ever seen eyebrows like them on the red line luas. So gentle feathering strokes and you're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I need that lipstick. I have been YEARS on the hunt for the perfect Wendy James (Transvision Vamp) pink and that looks to be it.

To BT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

OH is in New York and has already picked up my wish list, bless him!! So in a couple of weeks I'll have the Kat Von D shade and light contour palette and the matching brush, tattoo eyeliner in black and a studded kiss lipstick in 'vampira' which is a deep burgundy red. I can't wait til he comes home :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kickthecan

You look fab Lexie love the lippy

I just received my order of Ma Lie sheet masks from K-beautybox on eBay. I got 42 masks for under €20. I had seen reviews online that they were pretty good value for their price so I'm gonna test out the different varieties and report back. I'm looking for an alternative to the My Beauty Diary masks(they are good but can be dear on eBay, especially for daily use which is what I'm looking for).

I'll start using them tonight and start reporting back on if they are any good. I am actually really excited to start using them lol.

xlc95d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Umekichi wrote: »
    I just received my order of Ma Lie sheet masks from K-beautybox on eBay. I got 42 masks for under €20. I had seen reviews online that they were pretty good value for their price so I'm gonna test out the different varieties and report back. I'm looking for an alternative to the My Beauty Diary masks(they are good but can be dear on eBay, especially for daily use which is what I'm looking for).

I'll start using them tonight and start reporting back on if they are any good. I am actually really excited to start using them lol.

Janey mac!

you will have Unbelievable skin after these!

shakencat wrote: »
    Janey mac!

you will have Unbelievable skin after these!

I'd want to! :P
    Anyway so I tried the stem cell one last night because I was curious as to how it would work/what it would do. After a quick browse of the ingredients, the stem cells used in the mask come from the ginseng plant. The only problem is they are towards the bottom, meaning that they aren't going to be too useful for your face. However, if you look at the 4th ingredient in the masks, they all contain Sodium Hyaluronate(hyaluronic acid), meaning that if you want a hydrating mask these are a good choice.

I used the mask on my skin, there was a decent amount of essence on the mask and in the packet. Not as much as the My Beauty Diary but for budget masks it was a generous amount. The smell was very strange, idk how to describe it(a bit musty, maybe?). I left it on for about 30 mins, although I could have left it on for longer tbh. It really did hydrate my face! So much so that my skin looked and felt calm and soft. So if you want a budget mask for hydration I would totally recommend these!

I also received an order from RoseRoseShop, I ordered Mizon Snail Repair Intensive ampoule, Mizon Hyaluronic Acid 100 and Mizon Black Snail All in one Cream. They also threw in samples of Cosrx Aloe Vera Oil-free Moisture Cream(Really good, got samples of this before. Very moisturising), Cosrx Advanced Snail All in One Cream, Milky Dress Premium, Missha Near Skin Ultimate Contouring Essence and Cosrx Natural BHA Skin Returning A-Sol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I bought this yesterday... im a little disappointed... am i missing something?

The shadows are quite powdery and way more transparent than i had expected...

If i could turn back time i wouldn't buy it plus its bulky i think :(

Advertisement