Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭angelIRL

Evening all,

some photos taken over the last few days: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Includes:
    - 8209 operating Cork/Heuston InterCity services
    - early morning photos around Mallow/Mourneabbey
    - 076 with a ballast train in Cork Kent

20315315972_4db37758ca_n.jpg

20395529495_088aa8068b_n.jpg

Finbarr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Great shots. You have the first decent shot of 076 I've seen since it came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Evening all,

I slipped out this morning for a few hours and have pictures from:

- Portarlington
    - Heuston
    - Adamstown.
    - Carn Bridge.
    - Commons Bridge.

Highlights include 229 and 220 on the Up and Down IWT Liners, plus (8)209 on the 1100 Heuston to Cork.

Click http://smu.gs/1gn3xVm to view.

DSC_2184-M.jpg

Morning all!

Pictures from Sunday's RPSI Specials on the Great Northern Mainline from Connolly to Drogheda, Dundalk and Skerries have now been uploaded. Click the http://smu.gs/1f2qXhJ to view.

DSC_2324-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

The state of some of those 22000s is shocking, all of them are missing pieces of skirting or hatch covers(which apparently are just left strewn along the lineside?) and then the one with newspaper as a sunblind..

I don't understand how there is so much damage to the front of these units, do they hit things that regularly?

• Advertisement

MrMorooka wrote: »
    The state of some of those 22000s is shocking, all of them are missing pieces of skirting or hatch covers(which apparently are just left strewn along the lineside?) and then the one with newspaper as a sunblind..

I don't understand how there is so much damage to the front of these units, do they hit things that regularly?

I was think that myself. Over the past 18 months they have got very bad. I was starting to think maintenance were just leaving them off to save time like the A4 Pacific streamlining.

Alot of it is due to hitting stuff from the looks of most of the units.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I was think that myself. Over the past 18 months they have got very bad. I was starting to think maintenance were just leaving them off to save time like the A4 Pacific streamlining.

Alot of it is due to hitting stuff from the looks of most of the units.

The hatches are very flimsy light fiberglass panels and are regularly broken off even hitting something like a small bird and are now not being replaced due to the costs involved, apparently 18 hatches were replaced in the first few months of operation alone.

There are plans apparently to replace the side skirts with steel panels but the hatches and their opening/closing equipment are been permanently removed.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

MrMorooka wrote: »

Some of the center covers can get blown off when running especially units joined as they are left open (not by choice)

They don't look great but can't really blame IE for not replacing them, like throwing money to cover a black hole.

There is one of the 22's going around which half the paneling covering the engine missing and has been for for time, wonder why that is

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭angelIRL

Good morning,

some photos taken over the last few days: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Includes:
    - RPSI no. 4 operating the Great Northern Getaways trip
    - Clontarf Road DART station

20245334198_3fb2bc0ae0_n.jpg

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Some of the center covers can get blown off when running especially units joined as they are left open (not by choice)
    What happens when these hit someone on a platform or lineside?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Victor wrote: »

I'm sure when that happens, we'll hear all about it.

You talking about the coupler covers?

yes
    Victor wrote: »

Not sure how common it is but have saw the odd one or two missing on arrival, the wheels could easily make pieces of them if they fall correctly.
    I'm sure when that happens, we'll hear all about it.

There is so few covers left I expect the risk has passed. It may also explain the increase in sets not been allowed to be coupled as shown in The_Wanderer photo's.
    opening/closing equipment are been permanently removed.

Could be wrong but it never worked half the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

This one was taken near Nenagh in Jul 2013 TrackBuckle_Jul13_2.png

This one was the same week in Inchicore
    Track_Buckle_Jul13.png

No fear of any of that happening this year. Woeful summer all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It may also explain the increase in sets not been allowed to be coupled as shown in The_Wanderer photo's.

how are they dealing with services that need capacity enhancements or that need double sets

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

how are they dealing with services that need capacity enhancements or that need double sets

To be honest it's not a major issue but you wouldn't see it lets say before the 22's changed really as the majority of services required joining where as now there isn't a massive amount of joined sets operating outside weekends and you could argue repairing is not as critical as before and more time can be taken. I have not come across an issue where capacity was required but couldn't be provided because of it. It's not that common today either but you notice it more often.
    No fear of any of that happening this year. Woeful summer all round.

What's the deal with replacing all new track CWR and not leaving gaps every couple of miles on some if not most of the existing network. It it strong enough to withstand expansion to the same degree as lines with gaps left.

What's the deal with replacing all new track CWR and not leaving gaps every couple of miles on some if not most of the existing network. It it strong enough to withstand expansion to the same degree as lines with gaps left.

All CWR track has what's known as a "Taper Joint" every few miles to prevent buckling/bending from expansion and contraction of the tracks.

GM228

Out of 126 cabs, only a handful (average mid single digits) would be non couplers. It would be extremely rare for a set to have "NC" cabs at both ends. It has happened and special care has to be taken to avoid placing this set on a diagram which joins with a 2nd unit.

Non Couplers (NC) can happen for various reasons:
    - Damage to coupler face.
    - Coupler fails to extend / retract.
    - Electrical Head fault (one pin faulty can make it a "NC").

If two sets couple and fail to couple correctly and the fault can't be pinpointed to a particular cab, both cab ends are marked as "NC" until back to Laois Depot for fault finding can take place. Sets would have to be re-marshalled (run one sets around the 2nd set) if there is time, or a set swap to the diagram, or 1 set left behind in the worse case situation.

These days most coupling of sets takes place at the depots, Heuston and Connolly. One join a week at Waterford (Saturday). Splitting takes place across the country at various places.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

The 22k front was deliberately streamlined to give a better appearance than buffers might. Must have been trying to convince passengers they were boarding a LUAS. Without the casing they appear to be falling apart or damaged, which of course they are. Not exactly the ideal image of a modern Intercity railway. God be with a pair of buffers and cowcatcher. One of these 22s would probably tip up and point its rear towards outer space if you hung a pair of buffers on the front....now there's an idea,,,,then stick them in reverse and hey presto.....if only.

The Mk 4 Driving Trailer was designed without buffers also but better sense prevailed and they can be rescued by a loco when they get into trouble. They also look like they'd win an argument at a farmers crossing with tractor or a lesser horseshoe bat chasing a flying ant, unlike their 22k cousins. But we're stuck with them now and we'll just have to get used of looking at the pride of our fleet bouncing around the country with their nether regions exposed.

I believe the 22k designer has moved on and is now planning to introduce more aesthetically attractive plastic shovels on steam locos.

• Advertisement

yachtsman wrote: »
    The 22k front was deliberately streamlined to give a better appearance than buffers might. Must have been trying to convince passengers they were boarding a LUAS. Without the casing they appear to be falling apart or damaged, which of course they are. Not exactly the ideal image of a modern Intercity railway. God be with a pair of buffers and cowcatcher. One of these 22s would probably tip up and point its rear towards outer space if you hung a pair of buffers on the front....now there's an idea,,,,then stick them in reverse and hey presto.....if only.

The Mk 4 Driving Trailer was designed without buffers also but better sense prevailed and they can be rescued by a loco when they get into trouble. They also look like they'd win an argument at a farmers crossing with tractor or a lesser horseshoe bat chasing a flying ant, unlike their 22k cousins. But we're stuck with them now and we'll just have to get used of looking at the pride of our fleet bouncing around the country with their nether regions exposed.

I believe the 22k designer has moved on and is now planning to introduce more aesthetically attractive plastic shovels on steam locos.

The 22's are most likely the heaviest DMU's in Europe...and if IE really wanted a loco could rescue didn't they spend months bringing them in from ferry ports!

Mark IV DVT's would crumble just like 22's in an accident, anybody remember a cow caused 100k worth of damage to the DVT, similar accidents to 22's I expect didn't cause as much body damage. The DVT's are not much more than an empty shell!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

I accept your points and the passenger experience is certainly more pleasant on the 22k. The rescue of a Mk 4 by loco is at linespeed and does not require evacuation of passengers.

While we failed to take advantage of our generous gauge the 22ks are smaller than they might have been, but the front is what the passenger sees arriving at a platform and they look bad when panels are missing.

I can't imagine for a moment that Bus Eireann would operate their new fleet of Red and Grey express coaches with bits falling off, or missing. I can't envisage seeing bits of new BE coaches rusting in ditches around the countryside.
    Image is important and IE are spending a significant sum on a new consultant led customer policy called Customer First:

The company say "the programme will transform the way Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail engages with its customers by
    replacing a number of existing legacy systems and giving improved functionality through the introduction of new customer relationship management (CRM) and revenue management capabilities. It will also ensure colleagues are equipped with technology and information which will
    ensure we can provide customers with the best possible service."

While my comment might be flippant, my real point remains that the image created by the 22ks for years now with the fleet showing such signs of damage, wear and tear, or collisions is bad and gives the Customer First impression of a battered railway - and I really regret that.

Next time we need passenger trains IE should ask their friends in BE to procure them.

I accept your points and the passenger experience is certainly more pleasant on the 22k. The rescue of a Mk 4 by loco is at linespeed and does not require evacuation of passengers.

Doesn't matter, IE don't do not carry out rescue missions like that which is why we end up with a crippled network frequently. Their policy appears to be rescue loco, remove failed loco and return to train and drive on. The first and most likely last occurrence of rescue was in 2007!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iyfo3chaCI

The 22's are most likely the heaviest DMU's in Europe...and if IE really wanted a loco could rescue didn't they spend months bringing them in from ferry ports!

Mark IV DVT's would crumble just like 22's in an accident, anybody remember a cow caused 100k worth of damage to the DVT, similar accidents to 22's I expect didn't cause as much body damage. The DVT's are not much more than an empty shell!

The DVTs arn't empty shells, they have two diesel generators and other equipment to fill then up, and a bull will do an awful lot of damage to anything which hits it an any great speed due simply to its weight!

And the bull didn't do €100k worth of damage to the DVT, the damage (which cost over €300k) was to the entire sets (and rear locos) underframe equipment, brake gear and gangway connections due to the buckeye shearing off and bouncing underneath the entire train, just be glad it didn't bounce under a wheel and derail!

Some 22s have been taken out of service for weeks and requiring rebuilt cab front from hitting cows, bulls and even deer! The degree of damage will depend on the weight of the animal, the speed of impact, what direction the animal goes in after impact and possibly pure luck!

Doesn't matter, IE don't do not carry out rescue missions like that which is why we end up with a crippled network frequently. Their policy appears to be rescue loco, remove failed loco and return to train and drive on. The first and most likely last occurrence of rescue was in 2007!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iyfo3chaCI

That type of rescue still occurs, a loco is only removed if unfit to travel!

GM228

GM228 wrote: »
    That type of rescue still occurs, a loco is only removed if unfit to travel!

GM228

Can you recall a time when it happened?

I expect it has never happened to a passenger service in the last 5 years and it should be common on freight. I get having to remove the failed loco however the sensible thing to do is travel at 10-20 mph to nearest station where services can resume.

Take the traction failure in May, it operated to Kildare from Newbridge empty and a second 201 was sent to operate the set back to Dublin while the failed loco was removed to the siding (alone) yet it just traveled 7-8 miles under it's own steam a few minutes early. I mean why not shut down and have the second 201 at DVT and bring back to Dublin. :confused:

IE hate hauling services unless absolutely necessary!

Can you recall a time when it happened?

I expect it has never happened to a passenger service in the last 5 years and it should be common on freight. I get having to remove the failed loco however the sensible thing to do is travel at 10-20 mph to nearest station where services can resume.

Take the traction failure in May, it operated to Kildare from Newbridge empty and a second 201 was sent to operate the set back to Dublin while the failed loco was removed to the siding (alone) yet it just traveled 7-8 miles under it's own steam a few minutes early. I mean why not shut down and have the second 201 at DVT and bring back to Dublin. :confused:

IE hate hauling services unless absolutely necessary!

I can think of plenty, but obviously not specific dates, certainly a few each year including this, other members will probably have specific details and photos but it does happen. There are obviously circumstances where if an assisting loco is working a train forward then the failed loco must be removed, depends on the nature of the fault.

I do not recall a service where the 201 was removed at Kildare and the set hauled back to Dublin, but I can tell you this, if it was removed there was a very good reason for it especially if returning ECS.

GM228

Evening all,

Some pictures from the past few days.

Click http://smu.gs/1DTgilb to view.

DSC_2731-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Quick question: What NIR (or appear to be NIR) coaches are stored at Dundalk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

MoeJay wrote: »
    Quick question: What NIR (or appear to be NIR) coaches are stored at Dundalk?

There are 4 EX NIR Gatwick Mk 2s stored there. They are now owned by the RPSI and are temporarily stored in Dundalk while construction takes place at the society base in whitehead.

Advertisement