Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone make me a programme

Options
  • 07-08-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

As the title says would anyone make out a weights programme for me please.

I have a bench, dumbells and a curl bar and wana gain upper body muscle.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

This.

And you may want to get a squat rack unless you want to be a top heavy Timmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

This.

And you may want to get a squat rack unless you want to a top heavy Timmy.

Thanks but tbh I don't understand what that means :O

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Thanks but tbh I don't understand what that means :O

Without a squat rack, you'll end looking something like this eejit.

NVd-396.jpg

Lol I know what you mean. But I can't make out that link you gave me.

All I know about is arm curls , flies and bench press. How can I work my traps etc.

And should I workout every part of my body in one day or how would I go about it. Without a programme I won't stick it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

All I know about is arm curls , flies and bench press. How can I work my traps etc.

And should I workout every part of my body in one day or how would I go about it. Without a programme I won't stick it

Google stronglifts.

• Advertisement

The program looks confusing, but it's actually very simple. You start off with your maxes on the big lifts (Squat,Bench,Deadlift) and then do the percentages, starting at 70% with a 5x8, and then the next week you do 75% with a 5x6. After you doing your main lift (Squat,Bench,Deadlift, or whatever exercise you choose to make a main lift that day) you do your accessory work, with exercises related to but not the same as the main lift, eg On 'Squat day', I do my squats, then front squats, then pause squats, then lunges and then leg curls.

So for example, if my 1rm on Squats is 100kg, I do 70kg for 5 sets of 8, then 75kg for 5 sets of 6 next week, and so on. Every week after I do my squats, I do 5 sets of 8 on front squats and pause squats, then 4 sets of 12 on lunges and leg curls.

The idea is that you get stronger every week as you begin to push heavier weights, and by the time you get to 90% with a 5x2, your max should increase.

If you don't know your 1 rep max try a 1rm calculator or just test yourself one day to see how strong you are.
    Google stronglifts.

Alternatively, this is a great program for beginners, but I found Hanley's one very, very good.

You're going to need to learn more exercises. If you don't know what exercises go with the main lifts, then ask away or try some youtube videos which explain them.

Shrugs are good for traps, but I also find deadlifts work them too. Traps are a very small muscle which need only be worked 1-2x a week. Legs, Chest, Back should make up at least 90% of your workouts; other things like arms, abs, shoulders, traps etc. should be thrown in at the end.

I google strong lifts. Looks good but I don't have a squat rack unfortunately.

What would be the best plan for me with what I have got atm bench, dumbells and curl bar ? I can't afford to be buying anything else anytime soon :(

I google strong lifts. Looks good but I don't have a squat rack unfortunately.

What would be the best plan for me with what I have got atm bench, dumbells and curl bar ? I can't afford to be buying anything else anytime soon :(

Ideally you should join a gym. Equipment is expensive to buy and even the crappiest of gyms can still do the job. A bar, rack, bench and plates is all anyone needs.

The program looks confusing, but it's actually very simple. You start off with your maxes on the big lifts (Squat,Bench,Deadlift) and then do the percentages, starting at 70% with a 5x8, and then the next week you do 75% with a 5x6. After you doing your main lift (Squat,Bench,Deadlift, or whatever exercise you choose to make a main lift that day) you do your accessory work, with exercises related to but not the same as the main lift, eg On 'Squat day', I do my squats, then front squats, then pause squats, then lunges and then leg curls.

So for example, if my 1rm on Squats is 100kg, I do 70kg for 5 sets of 8, then 75kg for 5 sets of 6 next week, and so on. Every week after I do my squats, I do 5 sets of 8 on front squats and pause squats, then 4 sets of 12 on lunges and leg curls.

The idea is that you get stronger every week as you begin to push heavier weights, and by the time you get to 90% with a 5x2, your max should increase.

If you don't know your 1 rep max try a 1rm calculator or just test yourself one day to see how strong you are.

Alternatively, this is a great program for beginners, but I found Hanley's one very, very good.

So your telling me I'd have to do sets of what I can just about lift once ? Or do you mean 70% of it?

• Advertisement

So your telling me I'd have to do sets of what I can just about lift once ? Or do you mean 70% of it?

Do you know what your 1rep max is for the main lifts?

If so, then yes, start off at 70% and do 5x8. If not, then test yourself for 1rep, or try a heavy weight and see how many reps you can do and put it into a 1rm calculator online, but be aware anything >8 reps will skew the result, so try to max out with anything <8 reps.

Do you know what your 1rep max is for the main lifts?

If so, then yes, start off at 70% and do 5x8. If not, then test yourself for 1rep, or try a heavy weight and see how many reps you can do and put it into a 1rm calculator online, but be aware anything >8 reps will skew the result, so try to max out with anything <8 reps.

Ok il test it out for bench press and dead lift later. Is there anything I could do instead of the squats . Like to replace them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ok il test it out for bench press and dead lift later. Is there anything I could do instead of the squats . Like to replace them ?

Goblet squats. Split squats. Lunges. Step ups.

And just plain old squatting with dumbbell in each hand.

Goblet squats. Split squats. Lunges. Step ups.

And just plain old squatting with dumbbell in each hand.

Thanks il youtube them

Ok if I do bench press, arm curls, flies , Deadlift and this trap workout in the pic then would that be giving me a decent enough workout?

Have a think about what you're working with those exercises and whether it's balanced.

Not being smart, btw. It's just good to think about why as well as what.

Have a think about what you're working with those exercises and whether it's balanced.

Not being smart, btw. It's just good to think about why as well as what.

I did think about it tho. Instead of saying "think about it" why not just tell me what's wrong with it or what to add etc ?

I did think about it tho. Instead of saying "think about it" why not just tell me what's wrong with it or what to add etc ?

You were given plenty of leg ideas.

what you suggested is bench press (chest), curls (biceps), flies (chest), deadlift (posterior chain) and shrugs for traps.

There are no pulling movements. There are no vertical press movements. There are no leg movements. Add more of those. All of them.

Www.exrx.net has a good directory of movements to look up so that you can get a balanced workout. Do at least as many pull movements as you do push/press movements

You were given plenty of leg ideas.

what you suggested is bench press (chest), curls (biceps), flies (chest), deadlift (posterior chain) and shrugs for traps.

There are no pulling movements. There are no vertical press movements. There are no leg movements. Add more of those. All of them.

Www.exrx.net has a good directory of movements to look up so that you can get a balanced workout. Do at least as many pull movements as you do push/press movements

Page not found when I click that link. I get what your saying, il try to find some pull exercises online and add them in. Then the question is how do I put everything in a 3 day a week programme

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If you do loads of chest and bicep exercises but ignore your back and triceps, then not only will you look odd, but you will be doing damage to yourself in the long run. Developing the front of your body but ignoring your back will ruin your posture, amongst other things.

In terms of upper body exercises, think about dividing them into 4 vague movements; horizontal push, horizontal pull, vertical push and vertical pull. In that order using your equipment, the main movements would be bench press, bent over row (or a variation), overhead press and pullup/chinup (if you can get some kind of bar for that).

But in all honesty, don't ignore your legs. They're important. The only reason legs could ever be unimportant is if you are solely working out to flex in front of the mirror. If you want to actually be strong, you gotta start from the bottom up.

Thanks lads. Honestly I want to do it right. That's why I'm asking so many questions, I want all the proper info. Once I know how to workout my whole body properly il try to make a programme and stick to it :)

If you do all pressing movements like benching and flies and got strong at them, you'd wind up with shoulders rounded forward.

Pulling movements balance that.

And with curls you work your biceps. But the triceps are antagonists to biceps and are bigger. So balance curls with triceps extensions or even dips off a chair.

If you do all pressing movements like benching and flies and got strong at them, you'd wind up with shoulders rounded forward.

Pulling movements balance that.

And with curls you work your biceps. But the triceps are antagonists to biceps and are bigger. So balance curls with triceps extensions or even dips off a chair.

Ya It makes sense alrite. What would be the best pulling movements for me ? Also how can I work triceps with dumbells?

Ya It makes sense alrite. What would be the best pulling movements for me ? Also how can I work triceps with dumbells?

Pull-ups, bent over row and other rowing variations are the best back movements; deadlifts work your back a lot too and should be a main movement.

You should probably throw in a bit of rear delt flyes each week just to stop any imbalances in your shoulder which might cause injury.

Triceps could be worked with skullcrushers or similiar movements overhead.

Pull-ups, bent over row and other rowing variations are the best back movements; deadlifts work your back a lot too and should be a main movement.

You should probably throw in a bit of rear delt flyes each week just to stop any imbalances in your shoulder which might cause injury.

Triceps could be worked with skullcrushers or similiar movements overhead.

Thanks il write a list of all the stuff I need to do and then try make a programme out of it

Thanks il write a list of all the stuff I need to do and then try make a programme out of it

What I would suggest is a 3 day programme with Squat, Deadlift and Bench as the main mvt. each day, or a 4 day programme with Overhead Press as the main mvt. the 4th day.

Put all your legs stuff like lunges with the Squat day, flyes and tricep work goes with bench and pull ups, rows and curls go with deadlifts. If you give OHP a day, then all your shoulders and traps work should go with it, and maybe abs if you want too. If not then put it with bench day.

What I would suggest is a 3 day programme with Squat, Deadlift and Bench as the main mvt. each day, or a 4 day programme with Overhead Press as the main mvt. the 4th day.

Put all your legs stuff like lunges with the Squat day, flyes and tricep work goes with bench and pull ups, rows and curls go with deadlifts. If you give OHP a day, then all your shoulders and traps work should go with it, and maybe abs if you want too. If not then put it with bench day.

I'd rather a 3 day workout tbh. So something like this is it

Day 1. Squats and the leg stuff.

Day 2. Deadlifts, pullups, rows and curls

Day 3. Bench , flies and triceps.

Would I be covered if that was my workout plan

• Advertisement

I'd rather a 3 day workout tbh. So something like this is it

Day 1. Squats and the leg stuff.

Day 2. Deadlifts, pullups, rows and curls

Day 3. Bench , flies and triceps.

Would I be covered if that was my workout plan

Yeah, just put shoulder stuff and Overhead Press into your bench day.

Advertisement