Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Would Trayers be in the sub-academy so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Looks like Ciaran Gaffney will be involved in the club sevens

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Connacht have a very good set of opening fixtures. It will be a good time to play Glasgow and Ospreys away as they'll be decimated by RWC duty.

http://www.pro12rugby.com/teams/connacht/fixtures.php#DeTui2tqzdIUI83q.97

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Connacht have a very good set of opening fixtures. It will be a good time to play Glasgow and Ospreys away as they'll be decimated by RWC duty.

http://www.pro12rugby.com/teams/connacht/fixtures.php#DeTui2tqzdIUI83q.97
    True but they have a horrible run in again. 3 provinces and Glasgow in the last 5 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

BrokenMan wrote: »
    True but they have a horrible run in again. 3 provinces and Glasgow in the last 5 games.

Munster and Leinster at home in must win games to qualify for Champions Cup - marketing teams wet dream

• Advertisement

Back to back games will be interesting.

I'll be hoping that come the last games Glasgows position will be decided, i.e. they know that they'll be finishing 1st or 2nd, or 3rd or 4th and that the game will have no outcome on their semi final.

We really need to build up a good run of results early in the season with our run in

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

b.gud wrote: »
    We really need to build up a good run of results early in the season with our run in
    sounds so much like this year, and up to the half way point was amazing. It's the second half they let slip somewhat.
    Next season with the wrc, they can do the same, but maybe get some more rested players. That had to affect them in the second half this season. It's all good. Looking forward to it, if they can build at all on this season it will be exciting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Please Lord, keep Jake Heenan fit and send us a 75% kicker. That's all we ask.

Lord graciously hear us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Zzippy wrote: »

Lord graciously hear us!

Amen!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Lord graciously hear us!
    We lift our hearts up to Pat, it is right to give him praise.

• Advertisement

I've had this song in my head for a while now and I got a bit of inspiration from it.

Reasons to be cheerful 2015/16 season

World cup: At most we're likely to have 2 players, possibly only 1, gone for the world cup which is far below what any other team will be losing which means we'll be in a great place to take advantage during the WC.

Unlike the past couple of years all our signings have been around for a full pre season and so should be fresh and ready to go. Bundee and Tom in particular should benefit from the summer break.

Our young players have really stepped up well last season and the academy is continuing to provide players who are able to make the step up when needed.

We are starting to develop dept in numerous positions throughout the squad that have not been there previously. I can't think of any position where losing the 1st choice player for a game would leave you dreading the back up player starting.

So this one may be a little controversial, and possibly a little hopeful. We might actually be better off at outhalf than we were last season. OK hear me out. Jack improved steadily towards the end of the season and had a brilliant game against Gloucester so hopefully he can take some confidence from that through to the start of this season. Craig was impressive in the outings he got, particularly against Munster, so if he can stay injury free it'll be a good fight between him and Jack for stating place. It's obviously very early days and it was a match against Zebre but Connor played very well and hopefully will be able to do a job if he gets called on.

Roll on the new season. Connacht Abú

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Connacht seem to forever have a devilish tough end to the season. So it will be critical that they take advantage of absenses of opposing teams during world cup and 6 nations. If there is one lesson to be learnt from last season it is that every point is crucial. While every team drops points during a season we have to put games away better so no decision by a referee (we all know who I refer to) is allowed to have such a huge impact on our season. And I agree with b.gud that we do seem to have quality cover in most areas. I also agree that jack really developed this year. In the early stages of the year his overall play was shabby in nearly every department. At the end of the year his goal kicking was very decent and his positional kicking was a 1000% percent improved. So there is a lot to feel positive about.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

ouncer wrote: »
    While every team drops points during a season we have to put games away better so no decision by a referee (we all know who I refer to) is allowed to have such a huge impact on our season.

Well, we actually finished 7 points behind Scarlets so technically no single decision by a referee (in a league game) cost us anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Hey the Connacht Clan are inducting Andrew Farley into the Clan hall of fame this season. With Grenoble in town there is no better time to do it. So after the preseason match between Connacht and Grenoble we will be presenting him with a plate and having a bit of a chat. I know that the match is at an awkward time for a lot of people but it would be great if anyone around would join us and help give him the welcome he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Henshaw to Leinster a done deal!! :D:D

https://instagram.com/p/5fhY9akytU/?taken-by=ian.madigan

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is that fake tan? Just a formality at this stage surely.

Evil_g wrote: »
    Well, we actually finished 7 points behind Scarlets so technically no single decision by a referee (in a league game) cost us anything.
    There were other points along the way that cost us dear. The loss of those four points were probably our largest loss. On an aside while I do think jack has come on in leaps and bounds I would prefer Craig at 10. He can't kick very well for the line which is why toh has taken over these duties (no issue with that, if it works it works). What I like about Craig most and what I worry with jack is that Craig is a physical presence. With him playing opposing teams have to cover the middle of the field. Jack simply doesn't have that physical presence yet. Jack has improved over the year but Craig would be my first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

just turned on SA V AB - good to see Leighton Hodges getting international exposure as a touch judge.....
    took all of 2 minutes into the game for the SA commentators to call him out and comment on his inability to see what was clearly in front of him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

just turned on SA V AB - good to see Leighton Hodges getting international exposure as a touch judge.....
    took all of 2 minutes into the game for the SA commentators to call him out and comment on his inability to see what was clearly in front of him...

They were giving out about Woodcock coming in from the side of the maul, when New Zealand didn't engage in the maul. In other words the SA commentators hadn't a clue what they were talking about.

If I were to give my (highly appreciated :-)) viewpoint, it has always knawed at me that there seems to be only one match official at pro12 games. Now while i have no issue with linesmen/lines women not being involved in a game of Gaelic football I would more relate a rugby linesman to a soccer linesman and a bit more than that. So the soccer linesman calls the offside. The rugby linesman can see who collapsed a scrum, if the ball went straight into the scrum (assuming ref was paying attention to other side of scrum) , forward pass and the list continues. Instead they just decide a lineout decision. Its utterly ludicrous. All match officials have a comms link to each other. There is no basis for a poor ref decision when the other officials have clear vision of the incident

• Advertisement

God I just kicked myself in the head. Isn't that what hodges did to us as a highly industrious linesman :-). Anyway I think the concept is sound :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

If I were to give my (highly appreciated :-)) viewpoint, it has always knawed at me that there seems to be only one match official at pro12 games. Now while i have no issue with linesmen/lines women not being involved in a game of Gaelic football I would more relate a rugby linesman to a soccer linesman and a bit more than that. So the soccer linesman calls the offside. The rugby linesman can see who collapsed a scrum, if the ball went straight into the scrum (assuming ref was paying attention to other side of scrum) , forward pass and the list continues. Instead they just decide a lineout decision. Its utterly ludicrous. All match officials have a comms link to each other. There is no basis for a poor ref decision when the other officials have clear vision of the incident

I'm so confused. Wasn't Hodges the touch judge when he "robbed" Connacht?

The touch judges regularly get involved in all sorts of decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

There Are 3 officials on the pitch and 5 off the pitch in a pro 12 game.
    Ref, 2 assistant referees, tmo, citing officer , time keeper, 4th official and 5th official.

All can hear what is said to each other, the 2 ARs,TMO, time keeper and 4th official can all speak to the ref.

4th official deals with replacements. Time keeper deals with time and they will only deal with these issues.

ARs will be constantly chatting to the ref, if they advise the ref of an infringement he can choose to act on it or ignore it. The TMO usually comes in at the behest of the ref but can in certain circumstances bring foul play to the refs attention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 758 ✭✭✭JacquesSon

Is that fake tan? Just a formality at this stage surely.

In D4 it makes you a F'an. :D

Shelflife wrote: »
    There Are 3 officials on the pitch and 5 off the pitch in a pro 12 game.
    Ref, 2 assistant referees, tmo, citing officer , time keeper, 4th official and 5th official.

All can hear what is said to each other, the 2 ARs,TMO, time keeper and 4th official can all speak to the ref.

4th official deals with replacements. Time keeper deals with time and they will only deal with these issues.

ARs will be constantly chatting to the ref, if they advise the ref of an infringement he can choose to act on it or ignore it. The TMO usually comes in at the behest of the ref but can in certain circumstances bring foul play to the refs attention.

All this I understand. My point was that the linesmen/lineswomen tend not to get involved and its normally down to the referee. Its so frustrating standing in the clan terrace, witnessing the obvious, having the lines person looking down the same line as you from the clan and never once is there a call from the linesperson.

All this I understand. My point was that the linesmen/lineswomen tend not to get involved and its normally down to the referee. Its so frustrating standing in the clan terrace, witnessing the obvious, having the lines person looking down the same line as you from the clan and never once is there a call from the linesperson.

They constantly chat to the ref, they dont shout at the ref or call out to him, they discreetly hit their talk button and chat to him, he then decides if its material or not.

The officials dont take into consideration what the Clan think is going on, with all due respect to the supporters they rarely have a working knowledge of the laws and experience has shown me that the louder the supporter the less knowledgeable they are.

I get what you say. The philosophy of what you describe is indisputable. The reality maybe somewhat different. I don't say that we are all morons and the officials know best, I suggest there is better interaction between ref and lines people. It is so annoying (for us who have witnessed the odd game) to see crap decisions when it was obvious to the line judge. I just wished they called stuff more rather than being glorified (in fact I can't think what they might be glorified for). Anyway just my popular opinion

I get what you say. The philosophy of what you describe is indisputable. The reality maybe somewhat different. I don't say that we are all morons and the officials know best, I suggest there is better interaction between ref and lines people. It is so annoying (for us who have witnessed the odd game) to see crap decisions when it was obvious to the line judge. I just wished they called stuff more rather than being glorified (in fact I can't think what they might be glorified for). Anyway just my popular opinion

ouncer you are clearly not getting the message, as someone who has been on the team of 5 at a pro 12 game and was linked up to the ref and ARs i can vouch that there is plenty of communication between them.

As I also inhabit the Clan stand I also know first hand the amount of baying for offside that goes on when the team is not offside at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Shelflife wrote: »
    ouncer you are clearly not getting the message, as someone who has been on the team of 5 at a pro 12 game and was linked up to the ref and ARs i can vouch that there is plenty of communication between them.

As I also inhabit the Clan stand I also know first hand the amount of baying for offside that goes on when the team is not offside at all.

There are also plenty of occasions where players are clearly offside and ARs are not calling it. Teams know it, and use it to their advantage when defending. It's very frustrating to watch. If the offside rule was properly enforced in the Pro12 the league would be much better to watch with more attacking rugby.

• Advertisement

There are also plenty of occasions where players are clearly offside and ARs are not calling it. Teams know it, and use it to their advantage when defending. It's very frustrating to watch. If the offside rule was properly enforced in the Pro12 the league would be much better to watch with more attacking rugby.

True Zippy but it boils down to materiality as well, if a player creeps up on the touchline side of a ruck when the ball is always going back infield then its not material, same way if a prop is a foot offside in midfield does it really make a difference ?

You can find a pen at every breakdown if you look hard enough, but if you did that it would simply destroy the game.

Advertisement